• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TouchSense, a haptic technology, will be implemented in the Switch's touchscreen

Syntsui

This is either extremely underwhelming or Nintendo is being idiot as usual for not talking about it.

The funny thing it's that it's likely to be both cases.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Its def. weird that we havent seen any use of the Touchscreen so far. Is any game even using it from the demos we have seen so far ? Zelda didnt seem to respond to any touches in its menus and options.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
IIRC, the Switch tablet on it's own has all the Joy Cons motion sensors within it, so it wouldn't that much of a stretch to imagine motors also being in the console.

iFirez

This is either extremely underwhelming or Nintendo is being idiot as usual for not talking about it.

The funny thing it's that it's likely to be both cases.
It's probably not a thing in any of the software yet so their being dumb and down playing it. I imagine it's maybe just in the UI so far and that's it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't see the point of this considering every game must work docked.

It would be optional - the same way you dont have access to motion controls if you are using the handheldmode.

Otherwise they couldnt use the touchscreen for anything.

Why must they? Have Nintendo released a statement saying every game has to work in both modes? I've been running under the assumption Super Mario Maker will only let you design on the tablet (if it exists)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
If this reveal is true, it's baffling how Nintendo is handling it.

Creates further disparity in functionality between docked mode and handheld mode, though.

Not necessarily. In fact, this might be the key to explaining why the system has HD Rumble in it.

In docked mode, you would use the IR pointer as a replacement for touch, and the HD Rumble would replicate the taptic feedback you would normally get on the touchscreen.

Gurrry

I think its a no brainer to have touch capabilities. If you hand a kid a Switch, their first instinct nowadays is going to be to touch the screen like an iPad. If it didnt have that ability, I feel like kids wouldnt care as much about it.

I could be wrong though, im just basing this off the children I see in my family who are always playing on iPads or iPhones. I feel like if I handed them a iPad looking device and told them you cant touch the screen, they wouldnt play with it very long.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
IIRC, the Switch tablet on it's own has all the Joy Cons motion sensors within it, so it wouldn't that much of a stretch to imagine motors also being in the console.

In the patents the rumble was just in the joycons. But who knows.

Are devs going to spend time incorporating this when many people will play their games in TV mode? Could be cool but I'm curious to see what all this tech amounts to after a year or two.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand the point of a touch screen at all when it's technically a console with traditional controls.

Because there are a few things touch screens are actually better at, like super-jumping in Splatoon, or choosing where to launch an Inkstrike.

And try using traditional controls for something like Art Academy.

Haven't most of the hands-on impressions stated that none of the games present actually use any sort of touch controls? I wonder why Nintendo is shying away from this feature (if true).

Because no haptic feedback will ever match actual physical buttons like those offered by the Joy-Cons? My question isn't why they didn't mention this feature, but why they spent money implementing it in the first place. Seems like a waste of money and resources.

The problem with Nintendo putting in all this expensive tech is that they will abandon aspects of it at some point like they do with pretty much every one of these innovations. Once they release their one or two games that take great advantage of something it seems to disappear into obscurity. I really hope there is a successor to the DS because I'm really going to miss the dual screen set up.

HD rumble and haptic feedback are cool features but are they worth it when you have to charge the same price as the competitors do for a system that is significantly less powerful?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For the new page, the technology that article talks about is most likely the HD rumble and the author is just confused.

Mory Dunz

Is it really needed? I'm wondering the value of half of these features. I guess we'll know in a year or two.

Edit
Oh is it the HD rumble actually

EDarkness

In the patents the rumble was just in the joycons. But who knows.

I saw a video yesterday where the person asked if there was rumble in the tablet part and the person said it was there. If that's the case, then it would stand to reason that the touch screen has some sort of haptic feedback as well. They haven't highlighted this yet, though.

entremet

Could someone list all this hidden tech you guys keep mentioning?

I can't remember anything else. HD rumble was thoroughly covered in the conference.

Joqu

Could someone list all this hidden tech you guys keep mentioning?

I can't remember anything else. HD rumble was thoroughly covered in the conference.

At the very least it has a capacitive touch screen, nothing special but they certainly haven't covered that yet

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I saw a video yesterday where the person asked if there was rumble in the tablet part and the person said it was there. If that's the case, then it would stand to reason that the touch screen has some sort of haptic feedback as well. They haven't highlighted this yet, though.

There's really no mention of "touchscreen" in the press release. Nintendo hasn't mentioned anything about this besides the HD rumble. The press release clearly talks about gaming haptic feedback which is the rumble.

Occam's Razor, really.

Hermii

Because there are a few things touch screens are actually better at, like super-jumping in Splatoon, or choosing where to launch an Inkstrike.

And try using traditional controls for something like Art Academy.
Would a capacitive touch screen be precise enough for art academy though?

random25

It's more as an optional control option on portable mode. For example, the new game ARMS can be played via motion control or traditional on TV, and you also do both in portable mode. Now it's also possible to just not use the Joycons and use the touchscreen controls via finger swipes and taps tocontrol punches, jumps, grabs and blocks. Not the most ideal, but it can be a possibility given the hardware features available. It's basically up to the developers if they will utilize it.

If there are dedicated touch controlled games for Switch, it will be more or less an e-shop title than a retail game if I'm gonna guess.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
touch feedback technology, also known as haptics.

If it was just the joycons, would Nintendo not just say haptics, instead of HD Rumble????? There's not much touching involved with the joycons either.

Jury's out

Necro900

This is definitely about the HD rumble making the apps on Switch more "tactile".

While the HD rumble on the joycons will definitely have an effect while you play away from the cradle and touch stuff on the screen, it's definitely not what it's implied in the OP (you won't feel the shape of a goomba!). I guess if you detach the joycons you lose the ability to feel the HD rumble on touch-only games, unless the unit itself has an embedded HD rumble unit.

Go on Immersion's site and download on your android phone their haptic app.. this will give you an idea of what this is all about, even though you'll experience it with your puny little non-HD vibration motor that comes with your phone. On switch it will probably be that x10 times the effect and sensitivity.

For the new page, the technology that article talks about is most likely the HD rumble and the author is just confused.

This may be the case but this thread has really made me confused about the touch screen in general. They did confirm that it's a capacitive touch screen in the presentation, right? Why include or even mention a touch screen if nothing's going to use it?

NimbusD

If this isn't just marketing BS, this is just another thing that shows Nintendo's marketing incompetence. And their lack of focus in development that takes advantage of all of the aspects they shoved into this console that drove up the cost.

Someone at Nintendo seemed to believe all these things are worth including and no one else got the memo.

entremet

At the very least it has a capacitive touch screen, nothing special but they certainly haven't covered that yet

Capacitive isn't some crazy tech. It's been in our phones for over 10 years (iPhone launched in 2006).

It's just Nintendo's first implementation of it.

All these hidden tech claims seem a bit overstated and I like the Switch, meager launch lineup notwithstanding.

Top Bottom