• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TouchSense, a haptic technology, will be implemented in the Switch's touchscreen

oti

Banned
If it was just the joycons, would Nintendo not just say haptics, instead of HD Rumble????? There's not much touching involved with the joycons either.

Jury's out

Using the word haptic for something that is already a physical object is a bit odd, right?

Peltz

Even though they botched the presentation and launch lineup, they did a phenomenal job with the hardware itself. It's their most impressive hardware ever (despite the lack of dpad in the box).

opricnik

Banned
Switch seems to be fine masterpiece for handheld/tablet/mobile device.

Fuck you nintendo for saboting your own console with stupid shit like overpriced accessories,online paid and overpriced games.

Kodaman

This really needs further clarification. For now, everyone should just assume this refers to the HD Rumble in Joycons and Pro.

Joqu

They briefly mentioned it in the presentation.

They did, but it was easy to miss and they don't have anything that makes use of it so far

Capacitive isn't some crazy tech. It's been in our phones for over 10 years (iPhone launched in 2006).

It's just Nintendo's first implementation of it.

All these hidden tech claims seem a bit overstated and I like the Switch, meager launch lineup notwithstanding.

Yeah, I know capactive is nothing crazy, just saying it hasn't been focused on by Nintendo at all. With the way the Switch is set up it could have easily gone without the touch screen though, but I've got no idea whether it just makes sense to include because of a negligible cost difference or something like that

I do think the joycons are packed for how small they are though, didn't expect that beforehand.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible that this technology is actually for optional onscreen controllers that Nintendo hasn't shown off yet?

I mean, we already have people complaining about having to carry the Joycons with them in portable mode.

EDarkness

Yes, Switch has a touchscreen. No mentions of advanced haptics for the touchscreen though whatsoever. I didn't thought I have to spell it like this, come on.

Ugh. Be clear, man. Either way, you're right they haven't said anything about the "HD Rumble" in the main device itself, though I did see a video where the person said it was in there. Of course, the person didn't go into specifics. (I think it was the IGN system walkthrough video). I guess we'll have to see once they have actual touchscreen games.

oti

Banned
Not really, a touch screen is also a physical object. It just means make you feel things that are not there, like balls or milk flowing down.
We'll yeah, but when I heard haptic feedback my first instinct is touch screen buttons. But your example of the marbles fits that description just as well. 🤔

Hermii

This may be the case but this thread has really made me confused about the touch screen in general. They did confirm that it's a capacitive touch screen in the presentation, right? Why include or even mention a touch screen if nothing's going to use it?
That's one of the reasons I'm not buying that switch doesn't have a web browser.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So is Haptic Feedback, a word more are familiar with and understand the general concept behind

You would want that what you sell to sound like it's using unique tech, not that it's just a better version of existing tech, though.

antonz

This is either extremely underwhelming or Nintendo is being idiot as usual for not talking about it.

The funny thing it's that it's likely to be both cases.

Nintendo can have weird priorities. Realistically there is so much they still need to talk about yet they were much more focused on justifying all the tech in the joycons that other important things were completely overlooked.

gundalf

+
Could someone list all this hidden tech you guys keep mentioning?

I can't remember anything else. HD rumble was thoroughly covered in the conference.

This is HD Rumble, Nintendo is just making the Immersion SDK free for Devs to use for their game-engines, just like Apple does the same for ForceTouch wrapped inside the UITouch library.

TAS

I've never heard of this tech but it sounds like a big deal going by some of the responses! Is there a demo video that shows what it can do?

Hattori

Banned
I'm thinking this is for mobile ports, Switch is runnning on arm so there shouldn't be a problem getting something like TWEWY mobile running on it

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
But you do?

We've seen folks play Mario Kart like the Wii Steering Wheel in portable mode.

That would be the Tabletop Mode - just saying depending on which mode you use some stuff wont be able to use for you. Playing ARMs with motion controls isnt possible in portable mode when playing on the Go.

antonz

Reading more I do wonder if they got confused about this though. Immersions Touchsense is not just a Touchscreen thing. Its very much what is driving the Joycons advanced features.

Wildean

But...wouldn't it have been better to leave expensive tech like this and HD Rumble out in favour of that low price everyone was anticipating? If all games have to work in docked and undocked mode, this is not very useful.

Papacheeks

Banned
Even though they botched the presentation and launch lineup, they did a phenomenal job with the hardware itself. It's their most impressive hardware ever (despite the lack of dpad in the box).

Unfortunately the other two things are super important with the ladder being even more important than the hardware.

3DS didn't light anyone on fire when it launched even though for it's time tech wise it was awesome, wasn't till the dropped price and brought a awesome lineup of game that it started to take off.

The DS had both which is why it was so successful.

KingBroly

Banned
I've never heard of this tech but it sounds like a big deal going by some of the responses! Is there a demo video that shows what it can do?

I think 1-2 Switch's "eating contest" might be the best example

I also think the Cow Milking thing might be the worst example

Actual press release sans Journalism
Immersion said:
SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Immersion Corp. (NASDAQ:IMMR), the leading developer and licensor of touch feedback technology, today announced that it has signed a multi-year agreement with Nintendo to allow Immersion to adapt its TouchSense® technology to the new Nintendo SwitchTM system. As part of the agreement, Nintendo receives a license to Immersion’s patent portfolio.

“Nintendo sets the bar with their gaming systems, and adding advanced touch effects will give them an additional edge in delivering an incredible gaming experience to their customers.”
Tweet this
Once it is adapted to the Nintendo Switch system, game developers will be able to use Immersion’s TouchSense software suite to design games for the Nintendo Switch system. Immersion’s TouchSense software will help developers provide immersive touch-based gaming controls to players around the world.

Game developers have long known that adding the sense of touch to games heightens the experience and keeps players engaged. Recent research shows that utilizing haptics technology in the gaming experience increases satisfaction and enjoyment during gameplay. With the Nintendo Switch system, game developers can now leverage the sense of touch, providing game players an incredible tactile experience that isn’t currently available on any other game system.

“We are thrilled about the opportunity to work with Nintendo to bring Immersion’s TouchSense technology to their customers,” said Vic Viegas, CEO of Immersion. “Nintendo sets the bar with their gaming systems, and adding advanced touch effects will give them an additional edge in delivering an incredible gaming experience to their customers.”

No mention of it being for the screen

Here is an arcade wheel that also uses the same branding to show it covers more than just screen feedback
https://youtu.be/lS3k0-NYg34

But...wouldn't it have been better to leave expensive tech like this and HD Rumble out in favour of that low price everyone was anticipating? If all games have to work in docked and undocked mode, this is not very useful.

There's nothing indicating that HD rumble (or this, if it's included) is actually adding much to the console cost. HD rumble I believe is much more of a software implementation of still cheap rumble hardware (vibration actuators), so the cost would likely come from licensing the technology rather than adding in expensive hardware. Remember, two Wiimotes still cost $80, just like two Joy-cons.

KAL2006

Banned
Thread needs to be locked or title needs to be changed. No mention of screens here, people need to stop jumping to conclusions.

Actual press release sans Journalism

No mention of it being for the screen

Here is an arcade wheel that also uses the same branding to show it covers more than just screen feedback
https://youtu.be/lS3k0-NYg34

Really, the fact that they aren't using Nintendo's officially branded term "HD Rumble" is what's making me lean towards this being for the touchscreen. That and the fact that they haven't detailed anything whatsoever about the touchscreen or any use for it in any game, other than showing it exists.

Hattori

Banned
Thread needs to be locked or title needs to be changed. No mention of screens here, people need to stop jumping to conclusions.
the whole forum has been jumping to conclusions, why does this one not deserve to exist when there are others that are just as baseless?

KAL2006

Banned
"Immersive touch-based control".

That means fucking touchscreen.

No it doesn't.

It could mean HD Rumble. Playing a game using motion controls and having good vibration feedback as you touch the environment of the game world through motion controls.

Rncewind

I mean the tech is cool but if nintendo himself (and they are the most likelly one to utilize it) have no games with this at all seems kinda like wasted technology to me

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Speaking of this I think that they could have maybe bundled 1 2 Switch with HD rumble joycons and use cheaper ones for the system.

NSESN

Really, the fact that they aren't using Nintendo's officially branded term "HD Rumble" is what's making me lean towards this being for the touchscreen. That and the fact that they haven't detailed anything whatsoever about the touchscreen or any use for it in any game, other than showing it exists.

It's really strange indeed. I will presume it is the HD Rumble, but this whole thing is confusing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I guess this is because it's Immersion's press release and it's used a chance to promote their tech and not Nintendo's press release to try to sell the system.

ksamedi

No it doesn't.

It could mean HD Rumble. Playing a game using motion controls and having good vibration feedback as you touch the environment of the game world through motion controls.

You could be right, but its really far fetched. I never heard the term touched based for rumble. They could have called it haptic feedback or something. If what your saying is true, they need to reconsider the terminoligy.

Ryuuga

Banned
But

is a very peculiar way of describing a traditional controller

It's funny you mention that sentence, because it reads like a general statement divorced from the rest of that paragraph. That said there are other avenues of how their software works on the site. As aforementioned, they work with haptic software not specifically touchscreen functionality.

Vaga

Isn't this just another form of the haptic feedback you get on smartphones for years now, that slightly vibrates when touching the onscreen keyboard and various buttons?

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Again, it could be optional onscreen controllers for people who don't want to carry around the Joycons, or another way to play multi-player without investing in $80 controllers.

Top Bottom