• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe goes open world, gets social hub, day/night cycle, flying, more

VandalD

I hope DE uses this new update to sort-of relaunch Warframe. All those old reviews out there apply to a very old version of this game, and they could really show off all the work they've done up til now. All the new tilesets, melee, archwing, spy missions, Lua, the works. A solid trailer showcasing all the variety would do wonders.
I'm just hoping they don't lock the open world behind The War Within. That's way too much progression to ask of people looking to try the shiny new stuff.

Oh OK, one more new player tip: As a general rule: Stick together. Everything is Warframe is about synergizing and sharing affinity (XP) as a team (no such thing as kill stealing here). So try to stay within 50 meters of each other when you can. Players that do their utmost best to sprint at full speed past everybody else are doing it wrong.

Remember when Affinity range indicators didn't exist? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Steve's said he'll want open world to be the new thing going forward for mission and environment designs. So maybe this'll be a soft relaunch if they build a bunch of open areas and release them at once.

I'm just hoping they don't lock the open world behind The War Within. That's way too much progression to ask of people looking to try the shiny new stuff.

Since it sounds like Operator combat will be at night, that might happen. Or I wonder if they'll just have some kind of recall system that pulls new players in at night if they don't have TWW completed.

Having a pretty good time with this as a new player the last day or so, the open world update got me interested. Only frustration is running a mission to be hit with a "updating account info" that never ends and this doesn't save the progress. The player movement is something else though, really satisfying just to zip around.

Wallach

Both Rhino and Frost are pretty cool (and cool looking with all the customizations available), can't decide which one I want to use. Or guns for that matter. Or melee. Shit.

Since it sounds like Operator combat will be at night, that might happen. Or I wonder if they'll just have some kind of recall system that pulls new players in at night if they don't have TWW completed.
Speaking of night time, I wonder what you're supposed to do if you find yourself mid-quest as night falls, and not ready to face those eidolons. Do you hide in a cave? Exit the landscape and return later at a checkpoint? Sleep through it ala Dying Light?

Sanjay

Give it another shot. The new player experience is significantly better and it's the most updated free2play game I've come across with a really fair business model and it has a bright future ahead. Worth the time investment.

Oh I am for sure. The open world, day/night cycle stuff in that 17min video looked amazing.

This furthers my disappointment with Destiny 2. If a free to play game can manage an update like this, why can't Activision and Bungie manage to increase the scope and scale of Destiny?

Ugh.

Manzoon

Banned
Played Warframe heavily a couple of years ago, had almost every single weapon and frame until I stopped playing for a bit. Came back for that cool moon story mission and just didn't have it in me to do the lens grinding.

I'll probably fire it up again when this comes out, Hydroid Prime sounds like something I want.

wwm0nkey

This furthers my disappointment with Destiny 2. If a free to play game can manage an update like this, why can't Activision and Bungie manage to increase the scope and scale of Destiny?

Ugh.

Depends if Destiny 2 is still having the same engine limitations as Destiny 1 suffered. That really hindered their ability to make levels (IIRC moving one object and then building/baking/etc would take up to 8 hours)

This is Unreal so it doesn't take nearly as long

Speaking of night time, I wonder what you're supposed to do if you find yourself mid-quest as night falls, and not ready to face those eidolons. Do you hide in a cave? Exit the landscape and return later at a checkpoint? Sleep through it ala Dying Light?

I assume you're still going to be able to summon Archwing for a fly-away if you need to. It seems like there shouldn't be anything preventing you from still doing a quest, just with the added danger of the Eidolons walking around. The Dying Light point also brings up a fun idea: Boosters kick in at night.

The other question is how long the day/night cycle is going to be. Obviously for the demo they sped things up, or intentionally started towards the end of the day. In game Earth is day/night on a 4 hour cycle right now, I believe.

Arrrammis

Just a heads up (kind of off topic), if anyone has Amazon Prime you can get a free Frost Prime in Warframe through Twitch prime
(wow that's a lot of Prime)
. Connect your Amazon prime account to your twitch, then accept the Warframe reward through Twitch and log into your Warframe account from there. Boom, one of the best endgame Warframes is yours!

I just wish they had this offer when I spend 20+ hours grinding for his parts ;_;

thumb

Banned
Depends if Destiny 2 is still having the same engine limitations as Destiny 1 suffered. That really hindered their ability to make levels (IIRC moving one object and then building/baking/etc would take up to 8 hours)

Warframe actually runs on their in-house engine "Evolution".

I'm understanding of limitations but at the same time, and I know this will most likely come off as rude, but I don't really care for their excuses? It doesn't really make it any less disappointing for your average consumer.

My girlfriend, that's not really a gamer, became a fan of Destiny once I introduced her. We both did.

So far she is less than impressed with anything regarding the sequel. Can't say I blame her.

thumb

Banned
Oh I always assumed it was Unreal....well damn that is pretty impressive that it looks like UE

They helped Epic build several versions of Unreal Tournament, so it's possible their familairty with Unreal carried over into some of the design decisions behind the Evolution engine.

Aomber

I didn't get this answered before so I'll ask again:

Is the game still a case of just "get more stuff" without any real progression or goal? Because I like what I'm seeing but if that's still an issue I don't know how this update will solve that to be honest.

HooYaH

Both Rhino and Frost are pretty cool (and cool looking with all the customizations available), can't decide which one I want to use. Or guns for that matter. Or melee. Shit.

Well, you pretty much have to use everything to level up in this game, so just play everything.

Arrrammis

Is the game still a case of just "get more stuff" without any real progression or goal? Because I like what I'm seeing but if that's still an issue I don't know how this update will solve that to be honest.

There's still the base play experience of "get new weapon, level to 30, mod it to survive harder stuff, get better weapon, repeat", but there's also a much better quest system for real story lines, a more intensive system to unlock new areas, and a larger variety of things to grind for. I'm not sure when you're comparing it to, but if you haven't played since the Second Dream update, a lot of systems changed there.

VandalD

Once you finish all the missions on every planet and all the story quests, yes, the game is just "get more stuff."

thumb

Banned

What's "real progression" and what's a "real goal"? In Warframe, there are many, many ways to progress. You get more warframes, more mods, more weapons, more syndicate standing, more mastery, more clan rooms, more cosmetics, more quests, more pets, etc.

And yes, there is an ongoing story that is progressed via (now yearly) cinematic quests with full voice acting and cut scenes and such. Smaller quests are doled out several times a year.

Aomber

There's still the base play experience of "get new weapon, level to 30, mod it to survive harder stuff, get better weapon, repeat", but there's also a much better quest system for real story lines, a more intensive system to unlock new areas, and a larger variety of things to grind for. I'm not sure when you're comparing it to, but if you haven't played since the Second Dream update, a lot of systems changed there.

Nah I haven't, I've jumped in for a few minutes here and there recently but I played a lot harder (400+ hours) in late 2015/early 2016. Might check it out anyway

What's "real progression" and what's a "real goal"? In Warframe, there are many, many ways to progress. You get more warframes, more mods, more weapons, more syndicate standing, more mastery, more clan rooms, more cosmetics, more quests, more pets, etc.

And yes, there is an ongoing story that is progressed via (now yearly) cinematic quests with full voice acting and cut scenes and such. Smaller quests are doled out several times a year.
For me it's end game content. For example in MMOs you would level to the max level in order to do raiding. I know that's a thing in Warframe, but from my understanding it's far from the focus or on the same scale as other games, and I understand Warframe isn't trying to be WoW or something, but you get what I mean.

I just feel like if there isn't a huge amount of stuff to do like that at the end, just playing for the sake of getting "more stuff" is what always turned me off about Warframe. To me, once I got the frames I really want or whatever, there's not really a lot of point to keep playing, but I understand why some people wanna collect everything too.

wwm0nkey

I'm understanding of limitations but at the same time, and I know this will most likely come off as rude, but I don't really care for their excuses? It doesn't really make it any less disappointing for your average consumer.

My girlfriend, that's not really a gamer, became a fan of Destiny once I introduced her. We both did.

So far she is less than impressed with anything regarding the sequel. Can't say I blame her.
I agree, but to an extent, if the engine just wont let them; then they really just can't do it.

Really sad if that's the case though, engine should have been reworked for D2

Nah I haven't, I've jumped in for a few minutes here and there recently but I played a lot harder (400+ hours) in late 2015/early 2016. Might check it out anyway

For me it's end game content. For example in MMOs you would level to the max level in order to do raiding. I know that's a thing in Warframe, but from my understanding it's far from the focus or on the same scale as other games, and I understand Warframe isn't trying to be WoW or something, but you get what I mean.

I just feel like if there isn't a huge amount of stuff to do like that at the end, just playing for the sake of getting "more stuff" is what always turned me off about Warframe. To me, once I got the frames I really want or whatever, there's not really a lot of point to keep playing, but I understand why some people wanna collect everything too.
There are sorties too - high level missions that swap out daily. As you mention there are raids, but I've never tried em. There is a focus system, with different skill trees tied to the operator, and focus lenses that you get as rewards from Sorties. There's also PvP and Lunaro if you want some PvP or a warframe take on Rocket League. And of course the new landscape with Eidolons for high difficulty team challenge.

But yeah, the game is ultimately about shooting and stabbing and using powers and parkour, building stuff, and growing in power to tackle the hardest content for gear, arcane items, focus lenses and prime parts. End-game is kindof a weird term when it comes to Warframe, because while there's plenty of high level content to tackle, the constant supply of new frames and weapons (and forma'ing frames and weapons to optimize) means that there's always a reason to run through all of the regular missions on the star map, at all levels, and to tackle alerts.

I agree, but to an extent, if the engine just wont let them; then they really just can't do it.

Really sad if that's the case though, engine should have been reworked for D2

That's what I'm saying. If it's really so limited, they should have been on retooling the engine or using something else, ages ago.

Destiny 2 looks like an expansion they're charging full price for.

Anyways, I don't want to shit up the thread with Destiny whining.

Game looks fun. Girlfriend and I found it a bit repetitive when we first tried it a while back, but maybe we'll give it another look.

They have two extra studios helping with dlc so hopefully it will be better this time.

According to Steve Sinclair's twitter they're hoping to put it early in progression - a few missions after the tutorial.

Also, they consider this a "reset of Warframe's bones" and plan to have landscapes for all of the planets (at some point). Also looking at a low-hud option to roll out with PoE. They're still optimizing this and Earth's foliage update for performance.

VandalD

According to Steve Sinclair's twitter they're hoping to put it early in progression - a few missions after the tutorial.

Also, they consider this a "reset of Warframe's bones" and plan to have landscapes for all of the planets (at some point). Also looking at a low-hud option to roll out with PoE. They're still optimizing this and Earth's foliage update for performance.
Damn, that's both worrying and intriguing. I hope they can pull it off. I wouldn't want them to completely replace the star chart system we have now. Being able to jump into a specific mission on a specific tileset is a good thing.

Damn, that's both worrying and intriguing. I hope they can pull it off. I wouldn't want them to completely replace the star chart system we have now. Being able to jump into a specific mission on a specific tileset is a good thing.
This system is in addition to the starmap, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Found some more info on when players can access PoE at Hardcore Gamer:

How will Plains of Eidolon affect mission designs going forward?

I think it will affect it dramatically. So much of the game is built around the core that we have, and it boils down to a player going out and getting resources and finding stuff. We're still going to have that there, but it's executed in a more... A way where the player has more agency to go visit and go back where there's no jarring transition. You're going out into the plains and you can find resources and interact with the environment in, well you saw the fishing. All of these are going to amplify the current gameplay. You'll be able to kill things in cooler ways which is usually what they're looking for.

It was mentioned there was a day and night cycle. How does this affect adventuring and gameplay elements? Are there specific specific quests that occur in the shade of darkness?

Yes. Right now the player is faced with a faction called the Grineer, who's largely the first fraction you encounter in the game. So, a new player is familiar with them. In the daytime, new players will be very comfortable, learning things about the world. But at nighttime, the Eidolon comes out and that is an enemy that can only be encountered by someone that has the gear and the progression in the game to do so. We're talking hours into the game to unlock different quests to give them access to the Tenno, your operator, so that's a progression lock, more or less. This ”kaiju" we call it, can't be counted by someone who hasn't progressed far enough. So it's an end game version of nighttime.

So can people who haven't reached the ”end game" go out at night at all?

At this particular time, we're debating what we're going to do – if we're going to let them. It's most likely going to be a no because that's a certain gameplay hook needed ahead of time, but the struggle for us is we're a free-to-play game; we want as many people to play the new stuff as soon as possible, so if we release this awesome update that takes you twenty hours to get to, that's a problem. Luckily daytime is a solution but nighttime is in its own easy enticing, so we're trying to figure out exactly how to hook someone in to communicate this is what night is for if you're new. Which is something we struggle with a lot.

Looks like they're still hashing it out, but locking it behind Second Dream/War Within seems likely, at least for the night time gameplay. As a new system we can definitely expect changes over time.

Dying Light's intro missions and tutorials kept the gameworld fixed at daytime until you reached the mission that unlocked night time and the day/night cycle. Maybe they could do something along those lines here too.

I havent played this since it came out on PS4 and I just remember the absolutely impenetrable mountain of currencies, schematics, and other totally unexplained aspects of the game that turned me off the whole deal.

Is it simplified, or at the very least, explained in any of the subsequent updates?

Arrrammis

I havent played this since it came out on PS4 and I just remember the absolutely impenetrable mountain of currencies, schematics, and other totally unexplained aspects of the game that turned me off the whole deal.

Is it simplified, or at the very least, explained in any of the subsequent updates?

They've changed the new player experience quite a bit and added several tutorial missions that introduce the mission structure, blueprints/materials/crafting, and modding systems a bit better. But there's still a learning curve in terms of actual gameplay. There's plenty of fan-made guides out there that explain everything better, if you are still confused about any of the systems.

Zeta Oni

Ah I see. Well Shooting Gallery was changed semirecently so that one always sticks with Mesa, and another bounces between her teammates. Also I don't know how long ago you played her, but Peacemaker was changed so that instead of shooting around her without you paying attention, there's a "cone of focus" that tightens and increases damage on what you aim at. So she's a bit more involved and maybe will fit what you're looking for. Shatter Shield also gives you 95% damage reduction against projectiles, so you're good there.

Yeah I've been playing again and she's amazing, that one change to Shooting Gallery made all the difference imo.

On a different subject, apparently Twitch Prime = Amazon Prime which means: free Frost Prime.

My first Prime :)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Ugh.
The engine DE uses for Warframe is amazing. Is supremely well optimized for PC, game runs smooth as fuck even with tons of shit going on the screen at once, and it also allows them to add these massive updates without going through all the hassle that Bungie goes through with Destiny, I mean Steve mentioned that DE was able to cook the open world space in 3 months during the Tennocon stream, thats all the while delivering content updates like Octavia, Harrow and the reworked Earth tileset. So it's not like there's content drought on the game while they work on a big update like Plains of Eidolons.

Honestly the engine Bungie uses for Destiny sounds like a total nightmare from a developer standpoint, and not really suited for a service game which require constant updates.

VariantX

did they mention any PS4 Pro updates?

The only thing they've ever said about that is adding hdr support around the same time they'll do it for XBO. I wouldn't be surprised if plans have changed since they've been quiet on that front for several months.

I used to play this game a lot on PS4 and then on PC. Despite the graphical overhaul the game is starting to show its age bit IMO but the developer support is unreal.

Syril

The engine DE uses for Warframe is amazing. Is supremely well optimized for PC, game runs smooth as fuck even with tons of shit going on the screen at once, and it also allows them to add these massive updates without going through all the hassle that Bungie goes through with Destiny, I mean Steve mentioned that DE was able to cook the open world space in 3 months during the Tennocon stream, thats all the while delivering content updates like Octavia, Harrow and the reworked Earth tileset. So it's not like there's content drought on the game while they work on a big update like Plains of Eidolons.

I mean they did co-develop the Unreal series. They've got the experience.

derFeef

Wow the missions are super rough, haha. Not easy to jump into more difficult missions. I only have my Trinity available though I am pretty sure I had a Loki and another Warframe as well.. weird... ?

Wow the missions are super rough, haha. Not easy to jump into more difficult missions. I only have my Trinity available though I am pretty sure I had a Loki and another Warframe as well.. weird... ?
They've definitely upped the difficulty over time. Enemy fire is more accurate, sometimes minibosses will spawn in during alerts, and more nullifier (power negating bubbles) and eximus units (elites) throughout. But you also have a lot more mobility you can use in defense, and more status based weapons you can utilize (to proc fire, viral, corrosive, etc.)

In the meanwhile Trinity's link (damage reflection) can really turn the tide. Energy vampire can keep you juiced up at all times, and well timed Blessings can keep you in the fight.

HooYaH

It doesnt need one really, dunno if its boost mode or what but it runs so close to 60fps all the time I dont know what more they can do.
If you play by yourself, sure it's 40-60. With 4, it's 20-50 depending on tile set on Pro. Survival always seems like playing 30 though.

Top Bottom