• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PS4 Pro - First Look/Analysis | Digital Foundry

I would really hope this is joke post, but the fanboys have really been out in force lately.

If you have your console warrior shirt on then yes thats probably how you perceive it

But the way i see it (and where most of my anger comes from about it) is that i have spent over 2k in the last month on a pspro...an ssd and a psvr and games and im left with a console that plays games worse...has the same sound issues as rhe ps4 og and a vr experience that was very short lived as all the games i finished rather quickly.

If a console that is marketed as more powerful and it doesn't live up to that i have every right to be dissapointed but in sony style early adopters are punished as we wait for game patches and games that will add more value to your purchase...which usually takes months and months.

4.2TF is having framerate trouble with 1800p, but I bet the 6TF Scorpio would run this at 4k60 locked

The Scorpio isn't magic. While it will run games better than the pro, the difference won't be massive. Technically, it's still under 8 TFLOPS to handle 4k gaming. native 4k with 60 FPS is a pipe dream.

So who's at fault here?

The hardware provider or the software provider?

The thing I don't understand with the Pro vs whatever else is....the Pro is just the hardware. Saying it's not a buy because software is running like crap on it which has nothing do with complicated apis etc etc just doesn't make sense to me. Like maybe I'm thinking about this too broadly but is this argument used when some games run poorly on specific graphic cards?

I'm just not sure who really needs to do what here. I think this is solely on ubisoft to fix this...I'm not seeing what more Sony could do when they gave them all the tools to make this right.

Well people wanted higher resolution and more eye candy over higher fps from these mid-gen upgrades, so I don't blame software makers to priorities that over performance. I mean, if people are ok with 30fps, what's 4 frames dropped here and there gonna make any difference? You still get higher res assets and pretty explosions right? So enjoy that instead.

Looks like a consistent issue that should hopefully be easily fixed.

Consistent Sony issue? No.
But devs should fix this before they give the patch.

Or do you mean a consistent frame drop?
Because yeah, i think they might be able to fix this in a patch.

RenditMan

Banned
+30% CPU, +130% GPU along with architectural improvements, +25% Bandwidth, +10% Usable Memory.

Yet with 40% extra native pixels and negligible graphical improvements, it's performing slightly worse.

Something's gotta be up..?

Ubisoft have a bit of a a reputation for this stuff don't they.

I suspect that the few odd frames will be ironed out with a patch or 5.

Playing it right now for ~2 hours and nothing I've seen would warrant a 7-page thread of concern. People should try it themselves instead of just letting DF be gospel when they show thin slices of the game that aren't representative of it as a whole.

DBT85

Consistent Sony issue? No.
But devs should fix this before they give the patch.

Or do you mean a consistent frame drop?
Because yeah, i think they might be able to fix this in a patch.

Sorry, I meant in this game. It's happening for largely the same reasons consistently. That should hopefully be resolved with a patch.

ymgve

+30% CPU, +130% GPU along with architectural improvements, +25% Bandwidth, +10% Usable Memory.

Yet with 40% extra native pixels and negligible graphical improvements, it's performing slightly worse.

Something's gotta be up..?

I think the OG PS4 version also uses checkerboard rendering, so the pixel count is actually 175% extra pixels.

black070

Silver lining ? Gives me a solid reason to wait on this until the framerate issues are resolved, rather then jumping on it day one only for it to be added to the backlog.

PLayed for a few hours on my Pro and Regular PS4 yesterday on 1080p. Couldn't really tell a difference in framerate from first impressions, image quality looked a bit crisper on the Pro. Turned off ALL online interactions because that seemed to slow the game down (according to the Ubisoft message on the main menu)

Performance wise it felt the same as the first game. Not mind-blowing but it's not hampering my enjoyment while traversing the world and performing actions in it.

Performance issues have not come into my mind while playing, always a good litmus test fpr me when starting a new game. Your mileage may vary but just to put some context into this story and that it's not all doom and gloom.

Freeman76

A minority of games are affected and this is the first wave of games on new hardware. I don't think it's time to start sounding the alarm bells just yet.

Its not a minority of games, its most of them. The pro is a downgrade at the moment stop defending unnacceptable practices. If i had spent 350 on this i would be pissed

Kyoufu

Forget the frame rate for a minute here and let me ask you all why Ubisoft made a very colourful and vibrant looking game and didn't bother to include HDR with it?

That's the most baffling thing about this.

Trace

Banned
Its not a minority of games, its most of them. The pro is a downgrade at the moment stop defending unnacceptable practices. If i had spent 350 on this i would be pissed

giphy.gif

Koobion

The lower performance in some areas compared to the base model is unacceptable, and I'm the biggest Pro fan you'll find. Sony needs to be strict with their rules, or their product's image is going to be so damaged. If they don't defend their product, what was the point? Be a pain in the ass with your rules, IMO.

Arthur-Hucksake

Neo Member
Patch 1.03 is out and meant to fix frame rate issues?

So everyone can (hopefully) chill and enjoy another average game.

Upgraded games include BF1, Titanfall 2, Tombraider, Uncharted 4
Suffering games include Skyrim, Watch Dogs 2

Maybe we should keep a tally on everything "Pro Optimised"

Freeman76

List me this supposed majority of games that are suffering a downgrade please :)

Skyrim, DH2, WD2, all perform worse on PRO than OG. If you guys think its ok then I will show myself out of this thread.

Just to clarify,I want to buy one, im actually pissed that games are performing worse at the moment. Defending this is illogical and baffles my brain, i wont be returning to this thread.

And to be people laughing at me for my point of view, I thought GAF didnt allow drive by posta like that anymore.

cakely

If you have your console warrior shirt on then yes thats probably how you perceive it

But the way i see it (and where most of my anger comes from about it) is that i have spent over 2k in the last month on a pspro...an ssd and a psvr and games and im left with a console that plays games worse...has the same sound issues as rhe ps4 og and a vr experience that was very short lived as all the games i finished rather quickly.

If a console that is marketed as more powerful and it doesn't live up to that i have every right to be dissapointed but in sony style early adopters are punished as we wait for game patches and games that will add more value to your purchase...which usually takes months and months.

Totally fair. You've tried them, and you don't find the value in them, then I really can't argue with you.

I suspect we'll see patches and in the future, hopefully there won't be performance drops because the console is targeting a higher internal rendering resolution.

Lucifon

Been playing all weekend and can't say I noticed any real performance issues on the Pro. Image quality is great.

Karak

Playing it right now for ~2 hours and nothing I've seen would warrant a 7-page thread of concern. People should try it themselves instead of just letting DF be gospel when they show thin slices of the game that aren't representative of it as a whole.

Did but I have 50+ hours in it and ya its enough to warrant concern over the situation which is what this is indeed about.

Seriously some of the draw distances are great.
A personal highly to me as well.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Been playing all weekend and can't say I noticed any real performance issues on the Pro. Image quality is great.

Same here. Of course I'm not stress testing but in regular play the game looks and performs better than I expected. I've had no issues at all, but this is the first few hours.

leng jai

Skyrim, DH2, WD2, all perform worse on PRO than OG. If you guys think its ok then I will show myself out of this thread.

Just to clarify,I want to buy one, im actually pissed that games are performing worse at the moment. Defending this is illogical and baffles my brain, i wont be returning to this thread.

And to be people laughing at me for my point of view, I thought GAF didnt allow drive by posta like that anymore.

DH2 runs worse on the Pro than OG?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

There's more than that, unfortunately.

...but I'm still optimistic. Many of these updates were created by just one or two people in a very short period of time. They simply didn't have the luxury of a lengthy test or optimization period, I'm sure. It was all about getting it to an acceptable level and out the door.

I'm hoping, going forward, this becomes uncommon.

In these cases, though, I think it's a memory bandwidth issue and the higher resolutions were deemed OK since they are mostly smooth.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Patch 1.03 is out and meant to fix frame rate issues?

So everyone can (hopefully) chill and enjoy another average game.

Upgraded games include BF1, Titanfall 2, Tombraider, Uncharted 4
Suffering games include Skyrim, Watch Dogs 2

Maybe we should keep a tally on everything "Pro Optimised"
Isn't TLOU also running worse on the Pro?

brobban

I'm actually holding of on buying a Pro until I know that this isn't a trend, and the current issues will be fixed.

Vroadstar

Gold Member

Hmm...below, all negative points to PS but positive ones for XB, seems to me someone is not washing that console warrior shirt for a while.

Ironic that you spent 2K on PSPRO, PSVR but downplaying the benefits of both before, SONY sure convinced you amirite? Next time stick with your script so you will be happy : )

I think you will see a small bump but i think the trend will still continue...sony have not done a good enough job convincing the public on the benifits of the pro
Might be time to break out the infamous sony blackboard

my unit is also now sitting in a box...the launch games were pretty much paid demos so im hoping that there are more fully fleshed out titles on the way otherwise i think my unit will be joining the giant pile of traded in/returned VR units at my EB games

Sony of of nailed the technical side but their design side and build quality is launch xbox360 levels of bad

The bones cooling solution while crude is probably the best solution for these hot small factor consoles...you saw it in the 360 designs as they evolved their case designs

You need a fast exit or entry point above the cpu/gpu or something like a heat spreader to funnel the heat...all of the sony designs have missed this and its one of the reasons why your console does or will end up like a hair dryer....if it doesn't cook itself first

if anything ms have done their job as it gets people talking about the scorpio...people may harp in about how there isnt an actual console to show but the reality is sony did exactly the same thing with the ps4.

Sony have done a pretty shit job at trying to sell the pro to consumers....probably worse than the slim...it will be interesting to see if there is any actual uptake as to most people i know they are sticking with their original ps4 as it offers no real benefit to them.

The details on games that benefit has also been pretty light on the exact details

There's more than that, unfortunately.

...but I'm still optimistic. Many of these updates were created by just one or two people in a very short period of time. They simply didn't have the luxury of a lengthy test or optimization period, I'm sure. It was all about getting it to an acceptable level and out the door.

I'm hoping, going forward, this becomes uncommon.

In these cases, though, I think it's a memory bandwidth issue and the higher resolutions were deemed OK since they are mostly smooth.

This.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Devs are really dissapointing us with their crappy pro support, at least offer us more options and fix the damn framerate, yuch.

You thought they would go all out and get all the PS4 Pro can do, and it can definitely punch above its even doubled compared to PS4 floating point crunching weight, when the user base is so small, you cannot make exclusive titles that stand out well in the crowd, and you are just delivering patches? I can share the hope, but IMHO it is not practical.

Beyond very few cases, this is a preview of where we are going if the frequency of console updates gets even smaller and we get an iPhone style iterative console model or like I prefer to call it forever crossgen ;). You really cannot force third parties, not even Apple does.

Top Bottom