• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird Recurring Things in Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

Y'know what, I'm fucking sick and tired of almost every anime having high school kids as protagonists too.

Why do so many animes revolve around high schoolers?.

It's mainly because the absurd situations and things revolve around the characters having a) a lot of free time which they wouldn't have if they were working obscene hours and b) the club culture to have a reason for the protags to meet each other in the first place.

Isotope

Head pats

Hey man, sometimes you just need a head pat.

MbOotYv.gif

most of this stuff exists in western media, anime just turns it up to 20 because a sense of subtlety seems to skip every 3rd generation

Drencrom

It's mainly because the absurd situations and things revolve around the characters having a) a lot of free time which they wouldn't have if they were working obscene hours and b) the club culture to have a reason for the protags to meet each other in the first place.

That's a realistic explanation yes, but most anime aren't realistic in that way that there's a need to make it logical why these characters have time to do what they do. Having high schoolers in a series doesn't stop them for putting in adult themes either, like having them work relentlessly for something or fighting for life and death etc. Why can't they have the other way around if so more often?

Why can't they have humorous and interesting, young adult characters that have a lot of free time or have interesting work with a club like atmosphere and workplace? One series that fits that bill is Planetes.

As someone have said already, the reason why it's like this is because the Japanese anime viewers in general like that period in their life and it's become an anime culture thing. But it really does seem like Japan in general 'idolizes' high schoolers and youth (interpret that was you will).

Shit, I'm so sorry..

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Joking aside, why high-school? I'm coming up on a decade out of it these next few years and man, if there's one period in my life I don't need to revisit in a vicarious fantasy, its high-school. And not because I was bullied (I wasn't) or lonely (I wasn't) or anything like that. Its just...not at all compelling to me.

Girl against Wall.
http://i.imgur.com/7oG6vhR.png[/I][/QUOTE]

I saw this shit all the time in my (completely American and not a cartoon, honest) high school. Dudes just loved trapping girls against lockers and walls.

[quote="Ithil, post: 144177643"]People closing their eyes while looking at people as a sign of friendliness. Never had a clue what's it's meant to communicate in live action.

Even Monster which eschewed almost all anime stylings had this with one character (where it was even a plot point).[/QUOTE]

I can't see the pic you linked in your second post, but the "closed eyes while happy/smiling" thing seems to be a exaggeration/stylization of how peoples' eyes squinch up when they smile widely IRL.

Also I should watch Monster. ._.

Joking aside, why high-school? I'm coming up on a decade out of it these next few years and man, if there's one period in my life I don't need to revisit in a vicarious fantasy, its high-school. And not because I was bullied (I wasn't) or lonely (I wasn't) or anything like that. Its just...not at all compelling to me.

I've read a lot of reasons from depressing stuff like "in Japan highschool is the last time you really have freedom/free time and are able to do what you want before you're ground up in the cogs of the working world" to "once you're 20 you're ancient and too old for adventures" to "teenage kids are ripe for character development and self discovery so that's the go-to age for people who make this stuff." I don't think there's any one easy answer for it, it's probably a mix of these things.

I agree though, high school was better than middle school but not worth revisiting imo.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

It's something like, their high school is our college, and their college would be our post-grad.

And no one makes movies about post grads unless their name is John Nash.

The tentacle rape phenomenon isn't weird because Japan is an island...?

I'm clearly missing something

You fetishize what's around you. Sports fans loves sports, so they fetishize cheerleaders. Humans like being taken care, especially if they've been sick, so the nurse is often fetishized. Greek Mythology has a lot of bestiality in it.

If you're a nation whose economy was based around fishing, you're around a lot of fish. Your sexual fantasy then turns to sea creatures. There are whole studies about it: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tentacle_erotica

I dunno man, human sexuality is fucking weird. That's all there really is to it.

I'll say the Tsudere trope still baffles me. I think Asuka started the true popularity of it. I don't really understand wanting someone who pretends to despise you.

apFzg.png

The most weird recurring thing for me is the girl with eyepatch... There is a lot of anime with this... I can't post some pics now because I'm at the phone but you guys probably know what I'm talking about..

I'll say the Tsudere trope still baffles me. I think Asuka started the true popularity of it. I don't really understand wanting someone who pretends to despise you.
It's derived from the classic romantic comedy structure, where the two leads start out hating each other but end up falling in love. Probably one of the best examples of a tsundere is actually Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing, and also Benedick really, though they weren't the leads. Add in a lot of blushing and you get the basis for the modern tsundere.

In the rom-com's when the main protagonist trips and bumps into a girl and they fall into a very suggestive position. Like, I understand why it's a thing in anime, but it still doesn't make any sense how they could even land in that sort of position.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
The most weird recurring thing for me is the girl with eyepatch... There is a lot of anime with this... I can't post some pics now because I'm at the phone but you guys probably know what I'm talking about..

8jVYk3o.png

?

I will agree that a lot of tsunderes are bad Asuka clones but jeez i think it's kinda wrong to call Asuka a tsundere in the first place, only once did she ever so much as suggested having a nice side, and it was in episode 8 i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom