• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are The Top 8 Coolest Bosses In Souls Games Including Bloodborne?

What are some of your bosses that you think are the coolest in all of the Souls games including Bloodborne. Design, setting, music, the experience. Here is my pick.

1. Father Gascoigne
5143068-7681456647-27468.jpg
2. The Old Monk
3. Gehrman, The First Hunter
4. Lady Maria of the Astral Clock Tower
5. Abyss Watchers
6. Dancer of the Boreal Valley
7. Ornstein and Smough
8. Sif, The Great Grey Wolf

I loved the Aldrich the devorer of Gods from DS3

But your list is fucking solid.

I would had Ludwig and Ebrietas from BB. This game have so many amazing bosses

Sushi Nao

Lately I really, really liked the Dragonslayer Armor from DS3. I dunno about coolest-looking or anything, but I found that fight a real test for me - great challenge. I tried several different loadouts and tactics until I found one that worked.

Piers

What are some of your bosses that you think are the coolest in all of the Souls games including Bloodborne. Here is my pick.

1. Father Gascoigne

2. The Old Monk

3. Gehrman, The First Hunter
4. Lady Maria of the Astral Clock Tower

Best bosses are Playstation exclusive

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
i need to wait for both DLC's for DS3 before giving a definitive answer but for now it goes like this.

1. Soul of Cinder
2. Sir Alonne
3. Artorias
4. Gerhman
5. Pontiff Sulyvahn
6. Nameless King
7. Lady Maria
8. Manus

Blobbers

Guess I'll pick 2 from every game, except Dark Shits 2.

Demon's:
- False King, cool theme song
- Penetrator, cool pirouettes

Dark 1:
- Artorias, cool design and backstory
- Kalameet, cool despair when fighting him for 3 days

Dark 3:
- Twin Princess, cool song and cool fight gimmick
- The Nameless King, cool lore and cool he made friends with dragons

Bloodborne:
- Lady Maria, cool song, cool cutscene and cool moveset
- Ludwig or Orphan, Ludwig has a cool song and second part of fight while Kos has a cool feeling of satisfaction when you finally learn to dodge his moves and get to second phase consistently

Jonboy

Great mentions already, but one of my favorites (that I personally feel is a bit underrated) is Martyr Logarius.

Missed him in my first playthrough of Bloodborne. Was blown away in my 2nd. Just the whole setting for Cainhurst Castle is incredible.

giphy.gif

kewlmyc

Coolest?

Ludwig
Artorias
Nameless King
Maria (she was easy, but her moveset and battle are cool)
Abyss Watchers
Martyr Logarius
Lord of Cinder
Orphan of Kos

That's just fights that I found the coolest. Not hardest or even the best. Just fights I finished, and thought "wow, what a cool boss". Just one looks at my list, and you can see why Bloodborne is one my top favorite games ever.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower is the goatest of goat. It's just a hunter fight but the presentation and atmosphere elevate her to best of all time. Especially the whole area leading up to it starting with the river of blood is just out of this world not to mention the revelations after beating her.

"Oh I know very well how the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now, liberate you from your wild curiosity."

I also really likes Orphan of Kos. Some of my friends came over and were watching me finish the DLC. I go "this is the final DLC boss" and they go, that's it (Prolly thought it looked like a skeleton/zombie) The fight started, the Orphan started to attack and they realized looks can be very deceiving.

"A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea
Accepting of all that there is and can be"

Yeah, I can't figure this one out and it's why this is my favorite series (I lump Bloodborne in with Souls). Everything is so freaking good that I just can't choose. This includes environments and other things.

Though, I will say a standout fight was Queen Yharnam. It wasn't particularly difficult, but it kept you on your toes, she had really awesome attacks and patterns, and great music. I just really loved that fight.

Why 8?

Good list OP aside from Dancer. Not a fan of any boss with a grab attack because the hitboxes generally don't work for those, and the amount of damage they deal is bullshit.

I hate... hate... hate that fight.
Dunno if you legitimately hate it because it's a bad fight, or because it was difficult for you, but I legitimately hate it because I think it's a bad fight.

The arrow attack specifically is stupid. I think it's during the second phase where you legitimately cannot dodge it, and it kills you in one hit. Other than that, the moveset isn't all that interesting, and the fight doesn't take nearly as long as any of the others in the game.

Lady Maria is literally number one all day erry day. Three incredible phases, all of a sudden she reveals not only bloodbending, but bloodfirebending. She's like a half step away from using Million Stabs in her combos and her sense of fashion has no equal.

Ludwig is a tight second because the transition between his beastial, horse state and the calmed Moonlight state is beautiful in symbolism (pulling the sword down to cover the more disfigured portion of his face, the guard and his hands blocking the elongated snout) and the fucking music that swells at that moment.

Nameless King is a pretty cool badass too.

Coolest would go to Nameless King. Especially when you realize he's Gwyn's Firstborn.

I mean he flies around on a fucking stormdrake that he tamed. What a badass.

Unmatched%2BKing.gif

laxu

Nearly every boss in Bloodborne was really cool. I like Blood-starved Beast, the animations really make it seem like something driven insane by the smell of blood.

Great mentions already, but one of my favorites (that I personally feel is a bit underrated) is Martyr Logarius.

Missed him in my first playthrough of Bloodborne. Was blown away in my 2nd. Just the whole setting for Cainhurst Castle is incredible.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ixY5qinfTh64E/giphy.gif[/MG][/QUOTE]

I remember the fight I had with him. It came down to the very last hit wins. This boss really puts on the pressure with his summon swords!

I am surprised no one mentioned Gaping Dragon.

[quote]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/otTPLEC.jpg

Probably one of the coolest boss experiences. Especially in his opening cutscene were we see a tiny gator head, that suddenly gives way into a huge spikey mouth of a mess!

Dunno if you legitimately hate it because it's a bad fight, or because it was difficult for you, but I legitimately hate it because I think it's a bad fight.

The arrow attack specifically is stupid. I think it's during the second phase where you legitimately cannot dodge it, and it kills you in one hit. Other than that, the moveset isn't all that interesting, and the fight doesn't take nearly as long as any of the others in the game.

My feelings exactly. It took me many, many tries and it was mostly because of cheap bullshit.

8 is not enough - at least gimme 12 slots :p

Artorias
Maria
Manus
Four Kings
Ornstein & Smough
Nameless King
Fume Knight
Burnt Ivory King

Anura

Why 8?

Good list OP aside from Dancer. Not a fan of any boss with a grab attack because the hitboxes generally don't work for those, and the amount of damage they deal is bullshit.

You're totally able to dodge it. It just requires you to run as soon as he pulls out the arrows and also have enough stamina to keep running until it finishes. I do however, still agree that it's a terrible fight, as it's just boring. His arrows are his only dangerous or interesting move, and they will probably catch you off guard in your first encounter. Kinda like how high lord wolnir's only threatening ability is the gas, and it's just instant death if you get caught in it.

giphy.gif

I love the way he's designed. He seems nearly impossible to beat until you get his movements down, at which point something clicks and you can parry almost everything he does. You feel like the coolest dude in the world.

Amirnol

Ludwig is probably my favorite. If even just one boss in the upcoming DS3 dlcs comes close to that fight, I will be beyond pleased.

Orphan, Maria, Gascoinge, Gherman and Logarius are all amazing too.

Twin Princes, Nameless King, and Dancer are all at the same level of even higher.

Molemitts

7, In no particular order.

Lady Maria
It feels like a battle between hunters. The way her forms constantly increase in power really keeps you on your toes, you have to pay constant attention. Probably my favourite boss of all time.

Sif
A beautiful battle with a majestic beast. It's more about the presentation, he's just trying to guard his master's grave and how he starts limping towards the end is very touching.

Gehrman
A very appropriate final battle, was my favourite until Lady Maria.

Father Gascoigne
The first major challenge for me in Bloodborne. The destructible environment, the sounds and speed of it all really showed what souls could now be like on PS4 and set the tone for the first half of the game,

The Bell Gargoyles, DS1
Mostly because of my experience with them, first time I played Dark Souls. I was struggling to take on even one, and eventually I got the second one to appear and I thought it was going to be impossible. But the feeling I had when I finally overcame that hurdle, that's what got me hooked on this entire series.

Knight Artorias
A battle between warriors. Fast, challenging, fun.

Ornstein and Smough

The ultimate challenge of Dark Souls. I had to summon for the the first time and I still found it challenging. When I eventually did it without help I felt amazing.

Mandelbo

I'd say Nameless King but it has that *awful* first phase, so unfortunately I can't.

Off the top of my head...

Bloodborne
- Every boss from the DLC
- Gascoigne
- BSB

Dark Souls 2
- The Burnt Ivory King
- Sir Alonne
- Darklurker

Dark Souls
- Artorias
- Kalameet
- O&S
- Gaping Dragon

Demon's Souls
- The False King
- Maiden Astrea

Dark Souls 3
- The Twin Princes
- Aldrich
- The Pontiff
- Abyss Watchers
- Champion Gundyr
- Deacons of the Deep (if only for the soundtrack)
- Soul of Cinder (I think it goes on for a little too long, but it's the perfect boss to end the series on.)

Top Bottom