• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are The Top 8 Coolest Bosses In Souls Games Including Bloodborne?

The abyss watchers is one of my favorite boss fights ever. Before u enter the the area u can hear them fighting from outside. And then u enter. And the fight starts. They look soo cool. The music is amazing and then the second phase starts and there is a part in the music that is so haunting along with the watcher rising. Then the flame sowrd. God damn it it was perfect. I died on purpose 3 times because i wanted to keep fighting him.

For those who don't know about the Old Monk from Demon's Souls...he's actually another human player randomly pulled from the game.

As long as you're playing online that is.

Opa-Pa

8. Father Gascoigne: I loved this one because it's like the game is testing veteran players to see if they've adjusted to Bloodborne's speed. I thought it was insane when I first fought him but on my second playthrough he barely scratched me. I love stuff like that

7. Twin Princes: I thought this was going to be a cheap O&S reference but it ended up being fairly challenging and intense

6. Tower Knight: My favorite boss in DS and the first time a Souls game made me go "holy shit". The scale and the setup for the fight are the best

5. Soul of Cinder: Such an appropriate final boss

4. Gwyn: Same here. And that music...

3. Ornstein and Smough: Fuck these guys

2. Nameless King: This fight was fucking brutal and ridiculously intimidating too. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to beat him with washing pole so I fought with bow only. Kept me on my toes from start to finish

1. Orphan of Kos: I consider this and Nameless King (and that cheap guy in the DkS2 DLC, forgot his name) to be the hardest bosses in the series. This one felt so overwhelming at first, it took me like 15 tries but I loved every second. The intro cutscene and the background was all so perfect. A great way to end the game

I really wish I could enjoy Artorias and Gherman but they were so easy. I was definitely overleveled for the latter because I didn't finish the game until I beat the DLC, but Artorias fell on my second try. A pity because I love his character.

Also, shout out to Maiden Astraea.

A couple of late contenders:

bNHhqCz.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Top 8? That's an arbitrarily low number. :p

I don't know if I have a particular order but... here's a random top 20 of my favourites in terms of gameplay, art design, and just general coolness (e.g. the feels, for Sif);

20) Sinh
19) Orphan of Kos
18) Pontiff Sulyvahn
17) Flamelurker
16) Gehrman
15) Ebrietas
14) Sir Alonne
13) Darklurker
12) Martyr Logarius
11) Executioner Chariot (best "gimmick" boss of the series)
10) Nameless King
9) Old Monk (PvP version only)
8) Smough & Ornstein
7) Princes Lorian & Lothric
6) Ludwig
5) Kalameet
4) Sif
3) Artorias
2) Fume Knight
1) Lady Maria

That was really hard. Leaving out Penetrator (the original dude-in-armour epic duel, after all ;)), Abhorrent Beast, Amygdala (chalice dungeon version 'cause too easy otherwise), Laurence, Maiden Astraea, Manus, False King, Storm King (just for the coolness, kind of a boring fight), etc. was pretty difficult.

Sif is as high as he is because of the "coolness", rather than the gameplay. He's an easy and almost boring fight, but everything else works to make him the most memorable boss of the series.

Is Lady Maria DLC? I don't remember that fight but I haven't gotten around to the DLC yet.
Yep. The DLC always has the best bosses, check it out!

Why 8? I'm doing 10. Never played any DLC.

10. Gravelord Nito
9. Gwyn Lord of Cinders
8. Four Kings
7. Smelter Demon
6. Father Gascoigne
5. King Allant
4. Soul of Cinder
3. Nameless King
2. Ornstein and Smough
1. Old Monk

King Allant (real one)
Bed of Chaos
Celestial Emissary
Witch of Hemwick
Deacons of the Deep
Royal Rat Vanguard
Ancient Wyvern
Covetous Demon

Doesn't get any better than those 8.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I remember the fight I had with him. It came down to the very last hit wins. This boss really puts on the pressure with his summon swords!

I am surprised no one mentioned Gaping Dragon.

Probably one of the coolest boss experiences. Especially in his opening cutscene were we see a tiny gator head, that suddenly gives way into a huge spikey mouth of a mess!

probably because it was a pathetic fight. sure the intro was cool but that stands out to me as one of the easiest fights in any souls game so far.

ghibli99

Good list in the OP. Old King Allant is definitely up there for me, though, and #2 can either be great or a major disappointment.

Sif... :(

Phased

Twin Princes from DS3 for me is right near the top.

The design is fantastic, the Throne Room you fight them in is also great. The fight itself is also really fun and requires some good timing.

Shocked at the lack of Gwyn mentions though. Just in terms of design he's nothing special but the music that plays during his fight makes it special.

Kazooie

Banned
From the top of my head and I have had a bit to drink:

1. Artorias the Abysswalker

supera-dark-souls-usando-solo-propria-voce-v2-234833.jpg

2. Ornstein and Smough

dark-souls-ornstein-and-smough.jpg

3. Sif the Great Grey Wolf

darksouls___great_grey_wolf_sif_by_kurodrago-d6jzmsp.jpg

4. The Nameless King

namelessking2_tc.jpg

5. The Twin Princes

lothricyoungerprince1_tc.jpg

6. Fume Knight

maxresdefault.jpg

7. Tower Knight

demon_souls_tower_knight.jpg

8. Watchdog of the Old Lords (defiled chalice)

original.jpg

9. The Storm King

75237-273041-soulsstormking2jpg-620x.jpg

Done 9, deal with it.

Nothing beats the lore of DS1, DS3 comes close. Most Bloodborne bosses were easy or forgetable.

Platinumd all games except SoTFS.

I loved the Aldrich the devorer of Gods from DS3

I loved that fight, especially getting to fight him twice after already fighting him with Anri in her world....but i just can't help but be disappointed how he doesn't look anything like what was teased in the intro video.
I was expecting some kind of giant sludge octopus or an epic Cthulhu-esque beastie, when what we got was a cross between Gwyndolin and Nito.

HerculesDissapointed.gif

TWILT

Banned
Lady Maria
Artorias
Sif
Ornstein and Smough
Ludwig
Lord of Cinder
Nameless King
Gehrman

Off the top my head. Lady Maria is probably my favorite just because how really awesome the fight is.

Shahed

My favourite fights were the ones that felt like big occasions. The setup, music and the entire moment. Fights like King Allant, Gwyn, Gehrman and Lady Maria. The only issue with all these are the fights are easy to parry cheese.

singhr1

Can some explain their reasoning for the Fume Knight as a "cool" boss?

His design is mediocre, his intro is boring, his attack pattern is boring, and the midway addition of fire doesn't even look that great.

Like yeah, it felt rewarding to beat him because he's challenging but never once did I thought it was super cool or memorable.

ZangBa

1. Ivory King
2. Nameless King
3. Sir Alonne
4. Artorias
5. Lady Maria
6. Abhorrent Beast
7. Gehrman
8. Fume Knight

I had a hard time with only 8 slots, but I'm pretty happy with this. Gascoigne, Executioner Chariot and Manus are close. Seems like there is a big pattern for the type of bosses I like.

Kazooie

Banned

His design is mediocre, his intro is boring, his attack pattern is boring, and the midway addition of fire doesn't even look that great.

Like yeah, it felt rewarding to beat him because he's challenging but never once did I thought it was super cool or memorable.
That's why he is memorable. Hardest boss in DS2 for me. A really good boss as well.

I love love love Dark Souls 2 but I definitely feel like the non-DLC bosses are very forgettable. Vestadt is a nice outlier.

Demons souls probably takes most of my 8 alone.
Allant
Tower Knight
Flamelurker
Old Monk
Maneater
Maiden Astrea

Dark 1 is a little meh too. Never really cared for O&S as a boss fight. Artorias was great for the buildup alone, and of course for the Berserk reference.
Fav from that one is probably him or Sif.

Dark 3 is easily Nameless King.

Bloodborne is Orphan of Kos, and probably my favorite boss of the entire series. Such an intense fight. It took my friend and I a few days to readjust our styles to take him on.

Man, that's tough. Trying to go by "coolness" factor alone...

1. Lady Maria
2. Artorias
3. Ornstein & Smough
4. Gehrman
5. Ludwig
6. Burnt Ivory King
7. Abyss Watchers
8. Nameless King

Runners up include Penetrator, Maiden Astraea, King Allant, Sif, Kalameet, Sinh, Sir Alonne, Aldrich, Soul of Cinder, Father Gascoigne, Vicar Amelia, and Orphan of Kos

probably because it was a pathetic fight. sure the intro was cool but that stands out to me as one of the easiest fights in any souls game so far.

Sure it's a pretty cut and dry fight. But I sure had a tricky time landing in hits and getting out of its way when it tried to attack me. Maybe it's the psychology of how scary the boss was actually the contributing factor to me getting killed a few times to it.

zashga

My favorites tend to be the epic knight duels, so I'd probably go with:

Smough & Ornstein - Everyone's favorite for a reason. It feels like a good portion of every subsequent game's bosses have been chasing after this one, one way or another. Stepping into that room for the first time and seeing both of these guys jump down to meet you is a delightful moment of panic.

Ludwig - After all the build-up for this character in the base game, the way this fight contrasts his conflicting traits with its two wildly distinct phases is brilliant. The mid-fight cutscene is one of my favorite things in any From game.

Maiden Astraea - Hey, they don't all have to be Knights, right? Though I guess Garl counts. Astraea is super memorable for being so inexplicably gentle and serene in such a horrible world. Mechanically, this is the most memorable fight in the series.

Nameless King - Excellent design, excellent fight all around. I feel like he's easier than he's often hyped up to be, but this is one of the best duels in the series. It's also super fun to help other people get past him in coop mode.

Abyss Watchers - I wish they were a little more challenging, but these guys have incredible style. Love the fact that you can hear them fighting before you see them.

Pontiff Sulyvahn - OK, this one is challenging enough. One of the more successful O&S-alikes.

Sir Alonne - Great, simple sword duel. Fantastic boss arena.

Gaping Dragon - I have a lot of fondness for this one, for whatever reason. It has a lot of fun contradictions, like its tiny lizard head and its enormous body-maw, or just finding something so enormous at the end of a big-standard sewer level. Its boss theme is underrated, too.

But the question is "COOL" not hard. Like I think these two in DSII are way cooler, but I guess that's just me interpreting the question differently

Can't speak for others but I think his design is kind of rad and his lore is neato. I just think the fight is really well done not just because it's hard but because it feels very fair. His attacks require a lot of precision to avoid but he has very prominent tells so beating him, more than any boss in the series before that was a matter of memorizing his tells and then executing perfectly. He was the first boss where I shouted aloud in excitement after finally beating him.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
King Allant (real one)
Bed of Chaos
Celestial Emissary
Witch of Hemwick
Deacons of the Deep
Royal Rat Vanguard
Ancient Wyvern
Covetous Demon

Doesn't get any better than those 8.
Hurr hurr

I happen to like his design and the room in which you fight him, and his related lore (did you know, if you go in dressed as Velstadt, he enters his rage mode right away? xD), and since he's one of the hardest bosses while still being fair and fun, that counts as one of my favourite bosses of the series.

But the question is "COOL" not hard. Like I think these two in DSII are way cooler, but I guess that's just me interpreting the question differently

Sir Alonne

Burnt Ivory King (The atmosphere + entrance are great!)
I don't like Burnt Ivory King that much. The entrance might look a bit cool but it's tedious on retries (fighting those knights is just annoying, not fun), and I just feel he's too similar to the False King but more annoying.

Sir Alonne is indeed fucking cool though.

ajb1888

Banned
Ohh snap, let's see..

1. Has to be LADY MARIA at no 1 for me. In terms of coolness I get chills everytime I battle her, and the soundtrack is perfect!!

2. GAPING DRAGON is seriously the coolest dragon design in the series; even tho the fight is on the easy side, I always look forward to meeting it!

3. ok the NAMELESS KING is a badass, and the swirly, misty arena adds to the atmosphere a lot!

4. Cainhurst is an amazing area, and I absolutely love that insane battle against MARTYR LOGARIOUSSS!!

5. LOOKING GLASS KNIGHT has one of the coolest corridors leading to his boss room, and the flashing lightning adds to the atmosphere. Also love his devious little summons hahaha

6. LUDWIG is astonishingly badass when he transforms to phase 2. Love the music; everything really! and the Moonlight Sword appearance is EPIC

7. I feel like QUELAAG has one of the coolest designs as well. Woman with a transformed demon-spider body; yikes!!!!

8. Sooo much competition for this eighth spot seriously.. I could easily go Artorias, Abyss Watchers, Gherman, Gascoigne, Alonne, or Ornstein and more... but I'm giving it to SIF because a WOLF with a HUGE FREAKING SWORD is simply the coolest concept to me out of this group! :D

Good day everyone

Relceroi

Neo Member
1. Ornstein & Smough

I used to do some jolly co-operation around Anor Londo almost daily and must have killed those two several hundreds of times in the process. The fight just never gets boring, and it's fun whether you are facing them alone or with either one or two other players. The cutscenes are always every bit as engaging as they were on the first time that I encountered the duo.

2. Gerhman, the First Hunter

For whatever reason I've only ever fought Gerhman a couple of times, propably less than basically any other boss in the Soulsborne series (except Moon Presence). It has still managed to leave a strong impression thanks to the gorgeous setting and the best piece of music the series has to offer.

3. Ludwig the Accursed / the Holy Blade

The fight against Ludwig has proven to be the toughest to overcome with a base level character out of any of the boss fights in the Soulsborne series. I didn't count tries, but I did go trough at least two full stocks worth of blood vials while trying to overcome the odds. Visually I find this the most striking fight because of how imposing Ludwig looks. Doesn't hurt that the second best piece of music in Bloodborne is played during the fight.

4. Twin Princes of Lothric

This was definitely Dark Souls 3's S&M for me in that it was the boss that I most liked to help people with. The fight has a rhytm to it that I really like and the music is my favorite in Dark Souls 3.

5. Gwyn the Lord of Cinder

Well, it is cool if you refrain from parrying to death, which for whatever reason I never bothered to learn. One of the best boss fights on a level 1 character with no shield or parrying. The first time I was so captivated by the piano music that I barely even noticed Gwyn launching himself towards me and got myself killed. You know you've reached the end.

6. Great Grey Wolf Sif

7. Nameless King

8. False King Allant

Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower stopped being cool after I did my level 4 playthrough. It's a wonderful fight with a leveled up character or summons though.

Edit: On second thought, scratch Kalameet off from that list and replace it with Nameless King. I have no idea how I could have ever forgotten about him.

1. Ludwig
2. Artorias of the Abyss
3. Father Gascoigne
4. Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos
5. Gehrman, the First Hunter
6. Manus, Father of the Abyss
7. Black Dragon Kalameet
8. Abyss Watchers

It's a really fun fight. It's basically the epitome of Souls-style challenging but fair. His lore is super cool. Raime was already in the base game one of the most intriguing characters of the game and I loved how his character was expanded on in this dlc.

gogosox82

Coolest or Best? I'll just assume coolest=best.

1. Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower
  2. Sir Alonne
  3. Knight Artorias
  4. Ludwig the Accursed/Holy Blade
  5. Gherman, The First Hunter
  6. Fume Knight
  7. Great Grey Wolf Sif
  8. Manus, Father of the Abyss
Special mention to False King Allant, Maiden Astrea, O and S, and Kalameet.

1. Nameless King
2. Lady Maria
3. Artorias
4. Fume Knight
5. King Allant
6. Flamelurker
7. Ebrietas
8. DS3 last boss

TBH, I can exchange a few of there for a few others, souls series have brilliant bosses all around, is hard to make a favorite list.

Both, also setting, etc.

Ok.

There are a lot of bosses in all 4 games
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
, so it's pretty hard to make a list.

1.Ludwig the Accursed / The Holy Blade.

maxresdefault.jpg

Wow, where do i start. Probably one of the best boss fight ever for me. I think no one went into this boss battle prepared for what was going to happen.

The design is amazing, the idea of the knight and his horse fused together is great.

The soundtrack is unbelievable.

The fight start with the monster, Ludwig the Accursed. A beast out of control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axhtmPLpOrg

And then halfway throught the battle he seems to regain a parvence of humanity and lucidity, his memory is coming back, the knight is coming back thanks to his sword and HOLY SHIT IS THAT A GIANT MOONLIGHT BLADE!!!! Ludwig stand up, assume a fighting stance with his sword in his hands and the music transition to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RzA_Oomra8

The name change to Ludwig the Holy Blade, and a few second later i'm dodging throught enormous beams of arcane magic.

Simply epic.

A challenging boss fight, and a varied one. I always read how some souls fan prefer the "monster type boss" while others prefer "the humanoid type" and here there's a bossfight that managed to merge the two things together.

Also love how the figure of Ludwig is so tragic.

And if this isn't enough, you can to talk to his head after the fight. And you can get the holy moonlight sword. And you can have a secret (moving) dialogue if your wearing a set of the church. Oh and you can save the corpse that talks to you at the beginning of the fight, i love this little detail lol.

2. Father Gascoigne.

dyfgame-3348mus5i.jpg

3.Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

ladymaria3.jpg

Here are the other candidates:

tower knight
storm king
fools idol
flamelurker
maiden astreia
ornstein and smough
priscilla
iron golem
champion gundyr
oceiros, the consumed king
nameless king
martyr logarius
orphan of kos
ebrietas

I'll finish the list tomorrow, it's too late here. I was listening to ludwig's soundtrack and i couldn't help but write something lol.

Top Bottom