• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

omonimo

Banned
I found more annoying the lack of wind physics in the tree foliage. The difference with the ps360 version it's embarassing. The weird thing, it seems not affect the ground grass.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just anecdotal because I don't have the equipment to measure this but on my sub-20ms input lag HDTV I thought the game played fine for a GTA game.

Played through the whole game that way. I wouldn't say the input lag affected my enjoyment of the game in either direction.

Seriously, what the fuck is this shit? (Note: The video is in slowmo, obviously).

I cannot play this. It's unplayable. Count it! FOUR frames of delay between my presses and the action that takes place on screen. GTAV on PS3 didn't have this bad of a lag. How is this acceptable? How has no one noticed this? How have reviewers not mentioned this? How is no one complaining about it and turning it into a Kotaku story for Rockstar to be ashamed of? It completely breaks the game for me. I can't drive cars properly, I can't be reactive, I can't aim right... It turns an otherwise incredible 9.5/10 game into an unplayable 5/10 broken disaster. Even all the ACU glitches and framedrops aren't as bad compared to input lag this terrible.

[...]
No offense, but when seemingly you're the only person having a technical issue, its often because you're the only person having the technical issue...

edit: could you maybe upload the video running at normal speed?

omonimo

Banned
Did they not fix that yet?
I don't know. They did? Never seen any declaration about this issue from R. Keep in mind they have announced wind physics for the waves of the oceans, but nope. Surprising no one complain that much about those issues, because they smell of stealth downgrade to me.

Dragnet

Chill out OP, stop being a drama queen! Looks like it's an issue not affecting everyone, I've not noticed anything either.

Salaadin

Works perfectly for me but on Xbox One.

Lol at "GTA's low standards". It's one of the best controlling series still around.

I think GTA controls pretty badly compared to other games out there. Its not horrible and its definitely good enough to work but "best controlling series"? Not in my opinion.

Anyways, I havent noticed any input lag on PS4. It feels pretty great actually.

Works perfectly for me but on Xbox One.

Lol at "GTA's low standards". It's one of the best controlling series still around.

What the fuck? Am I playing a different game to you? GTA C controls terribly...and this is coming from someone who regards it as one of my all time favourite games. It's clunky as fuck, Max Payne 3 felt much smoother and more precise to play.

To all of the people saying they aren't experiencing it, hold your controller up the light of your TV, flick the right analogue and you'll see that your screen only starts moving when the stick is almost back in its original position. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can't notice it.

Woorloog

Banned
What input lag?
It does not feel any different from 360 GTA V, once i adjusted the sensitivity down, just like with 360 version.

No offense, but when seemingly you're the only person having a technical issue, its often because you're the only person having the technical issue...

You should try Google searching this issue, or even searching for it on GAF. It's been brought up many times already. This isn't a one-off issue.

I don't know, maybe it's something unique to your setup.

It's not. Far Cry 4 felt perfect to play. Very responsive and smooth.

FTF

Haven't played either the PS4 or Xbone versions yet, but it's weird how much inconsistency there is in the answers so far. Getting the PS4 version soon, so hopefully it's not there (or noticeable) for me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
can't say i've experienced this on ps4. if there is any lag then it's not noticeable to me and hasn't affected how i play or enjoy the game.

i have a 7200rpm hd, playing on a led panasonic and sometimes a samsung plasma.

Lorcain

It feels about the same as my PS3 version. I haven't seen input lag like the OP is describing. PS4 on plasma TV.

Darknight

Because its Rockstar. They get a pass. Guerilla Games got a lot of shit and made them actually patch the game to include fixes in. I wish the journalist would write about this so R* can get off their ass and fix this.

Though I feel they wont because of the forced auto-aim mechanics used in the game. (they can be disabled but then you are playing at a disadvantage)

Edit: Im talking about the deadzone. Its not as bad from like the video but aiming in general is really bad.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder if some people think the animation-inertia is input lag in GTA V (and RDR and GTAIV)?
IMO GTA V is quite responsive game, unless i try something like a quick turn from full sprint... but then it does aim for realism (no comment whether that's good or bad).

(they can be disabled but then you are playing at a disadvantage)

How is this in any way true? On multiplayer, disabling auto aim means you can only play with others who have done the same thing, levelling the playing field just fine.

On singleplayer, you're only up against AI anyway so it's skill dependent.

Nizz

There isn't a deadzone so much as the rate of acceleration curve is absurd. It's unbelievably slow right around the center area of a stick, until suddenly it's not and it's too fast. The slowest speed needs to be a bit faster, and the curve needs to be smoother instead of so dramatic.
Uggh, I really hate that. I know exactly what you're talking about. Far Cry 2 back on PS3 had that same issue as did Killzone 2 and Battlefield 3 (before Dice finally fixed them). Controls that feel that way really sour my enjoyment of games.

Glad I haven't picked up GTAV yet since this would frustrate me.

cormack12

Gold Member
You botice how bad are the controls on shooting gallery impossible to aim.

This is the easiest way to see the difference. I wouldn't call it lag per se, but it's definitely 'weightier' and more 'janky' than GTA V on PS3.

It was relatively easy to pick up the golds on the PS3 but on the PS4 the aiming is stuttery and a bit inconsistent when flicking or moving the thumbstick across targets.

It' not a huge deal but there's definitely a difference.

TV in 'game mode', only play in third person as well.

GodofWine

Is the issue because of the fact that even though you are playing in first person, the game still moves like a third person game in that you control a person who is holding a gun, and their body moves before their arms do.

In most FPSs you are just a magical floating weightless crosshair, and your inputs only move it, and not you players actual body

I play this in third person, and don't have much issue with the controls.
??

Darknight

How is this in any way true? On multiplayer, disabling auto aim means you can only play with others who have done the same thing, levelling the playing field just fine.

On singleplayer, you're only up against AI anyway so it's skill dependent.

Enemy AI tends to have almost perfect aim on you at all times. Im sure they use the same auto-aim method as you. I would never try to use free aim on SP because its shit aim controls. (deadzone) I guess you could force it online but I dont play that often there.

-griffy-

Banned
Uggh, I really hate that. I know exactly what you're talking about. Far Cry 2 back on PS3 had that same issue as did Killzone 2 and Battlefield 3 (before Dice finally fixed them). Controls that feel that way really sour my enjoyment of games.

Glad I haven't picked up GTAV yet since this would frustrate me.

It's not terrible in GTAV since you can use the lock on system for aiming, but if the controls were better you wouldn't have to rely on that and could instead just use free-aim (and make the 1st person mode feel more natural).

There isn't a deadzone so much as the rate of acceleration curve is absurd. It's unbelievably slow right around the center area of a stick, until suddenly it's not and it's too fast. The slowest speed needs to be a bit faster, and the curve needs to be smoother instead of so dramatic.

It's definitely deadzone. I can move the stick a little and nothing will happen, ever. Until I move it a little bit further and finally aiming kicks in. It's really annoying and makes first person mode a bit of a chore to play in when it comes to shootouts.

Edit: And it's definitely not input lag.

I did think the control inputs were a bit slugish. But i thought it was meant that way or something.. Like with Killzone, if you know what i mean.

Faar from unplayable in my case by the way.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't know. They did? Never seen any declaration about this issue from R. Keep in mind they have announced wind physics for the waves of the oceans, but nope. Surprising no one complain that much about those issues, because they smell of stealth downgrade to me.

Ah no clue myself, I heard it was a bug and haven't heard much on it recently, I assumed it got fixed.

Probably just blew over.

Is the issue because of the fact that even though you are playing in first person, the game still moves like a third person game in that you control a person who is holding a gun, and their body moves before their arms do.

??

No third-person game I've ever played has had noticeable input-lag for me. I really don't think that's it.

I also didn't notice it anywhere near as much on the PS3 version.

DavidDesu

There is absolutely a huge controller dead zone for this game on the PS4. I haven't played it nearly as much as I would've liked simply because of this issue.

YES! I think the OP might mean this, maybe..

This dead zone and generally untraditional analogue calibration really ruined the game for me. I couldn't wait to play it in first person, but it's just broken for me. Impossible to simply look where I want to look, it just barely moves then jerks way past. If Rockstar can just give us linear analogue control, so the FP camera controls like in a typical FPS like Destiny then all my problems will be solved. I've barely played this since launch either as a result of this. A really big problem that cannot be underestimated or brushed under the carpet.

I did think the control inputs were a bit slugish. But i thought it was meant that way or something.. Like with Killzone, if you know what i mean.

That's exactly how GTA V feels for me. You hit the nail on the head. It feels like how Killzone 3 felt. Heavy, clunky, and unresponsive. Playing BF4 and Far Cry 4 which both feel great to play, then playing GTA V, only made me notice it even more.

ViciousDS

Banned
Tried it launch week and buddy even mentioned something about it....i just thought it was the tv until i realized everything to bring the input response under 20 ms was on.....and there are no issues for cod, and other games. It's just gta that has an issue

You should try Google searching this issue, or even searching for it on GAF. It's been brought up many times already. This isn't a one-off issue.

[...]
Oh my bad, it sounded like no one else had noticed it. That sucks :(

edit:

Well that explaines why I never had a problem with the lag, since I love Killzone (2) and how it controls xD

Are people on about first person only or third? Because as I said, in third person it feels just the same as last gen. I agree though that the first person shooting is pretty shit, I have given up using it for combat.

Top Bottom