• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hmm, now that I think of it, I was only playing in first person mode. Maybe it's because of that...

IISANDERII

Seriously, what the fuck is this shit? (Note: The video is in slowmo, obviously).

I cannot play this. It's unplayable. Count it! FOUR frames of delay between my presses and the action that takes place on screen. GTAV on PS3 didn't have this bad of a lag. How is this acceptable? How has no one noticed this? How have reviewers not mentioned this? How is no one complaining about it and turning it into a Kotaku story for Rockstar to be ashamed of? It completely breaks the game for me. I can't drive cars properly, I can't be reactive, I can't aim right... It turns an otherwise incredible 9.5/10 game into an unplayable 5/10 broken disaster. Even all the ACU glitches and framedrops aren't as bad compared to input lag this terrible.

And even before the GTAV Defense Force(tm) starts jumping at my jugular, no, the problem is NOT my TV! I'm not getting any sort of input lag in proper games or the PS4 OS itself.
I cannot tolerate much input lag and have noticed over the years that many people aren't aware or bothered by it.

Some recent examples: Bioshock Infinity on PS3 was utter garbage to me until I switched V-Sync off.
Metro 2033/Last Night: I'd rather shave my legs without shave foam than play this.

Have not played GTA5 at all so I cannot comment. But thanks for the heads up.

Actually he was pointing out how ridiculous you were sounding with your stupid fallacy, which is the equivalence of "Nah. bruh, just you lagging. Get FiOS kid."

Now please stop acting 12 and actually contribute something.

Not even sure where you guys are coming up with the idea that I said you guys were wrong.

I literally just said:

Uh, I have absolutely zero input lag.

Not sure where I said the people with input lag were wrong. But you guys can keep up with creating your own scenarios in your head, while throwing around YOU'RE A CHILD!!! insults all day long.

Thrakier

Nah, I said I wasn't experiencing it, and you chimed in with IT'S THERE YOU ARE JUST NOT NOTICING IT!!!! YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!

Meanwhile, get a better TV.

You aren't experiencing it, but it's still there. GTA IV also had 133 to 200ms input lag, which is pretty insane.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article?page=3

It always felt like shit. However, people are so used to 30 and sub 30FPS games that they just don't notice it anymore. They are completly desensitized. And then they come to threads like these, claiming that their TV isn't broken. ;)

The feel is reminiscent of Red Dead for me. It basically demands you use the full auto aim option, but if you use that, the game plays just fine. There's a noticeable delay though.

The game has a high amount of input lag, even when flying I had trouble controlling it.
And no , it's not my tv, actually my set has the lowest input lag around ( sony 2014 model).

First person mode there's an obvious delay when moving the camera, makes playing almost impossible.

Not sure where I said the people with input lag were wrong. But you guys can keep up with creating your own scenarios in your head, while throwing around YOU'RE A CHILD!!! insults all day long.

Here, I'll help you remember:

No, there is no input lag.

No, there isn't.

Unless I'm misinterpreting those comments? I'd love to hear how so, if I am.

In regards to the second bolded: don't act like a child, and you won't get called a child. Saying "Meanwhile, get a better TV" over and over again, despite the fact that I've already said that I don't notice any input-lag in other games, is childish.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
First person mode definitely has more input delay (and deadzone to boot). It's borderline impossible to play without lockon enabled.

I think you're right. My original comment pertains to first person mode, 3rd person feels better. No wonder something felt weird

Mononoke

Banned
I haven't noticed it. But maybe I'm not good at noticing this kind of stuff. I would never defend this just to defend it. For me, it's literally an issue I haven't been able to notice. That said, I hate when people try to act like an issue doesn't exist, just because it doesn't impact them.

So if this really is an issue, even though I don't notice it, I support OP or anyone else that is effected by it.

Skyzard

Banned
The OP says 4 frame because its what the video of it displays. But it might be more frames in reality. We can't count this just like that. All I know is that the delay is fucking long and I don't have it in most games.

Well no, its entirely dependant on how the game is coded. Its because in the order in wich the code is read + what is read and not read at a given frame. If a game process the controls and cam in top priority before everything else and at every "real" frame, the game will not have any noticeable input lag.

Input lag = bad or unoptimised code structure and architecture. That's all there is to it.

Ah okay. Then can camera controls have more input lag than other controls? I guess so if it doesn't "read" camera controls as fast? Or is that all by the console and so the same...

I got it from this Eurogamer article who got it from the guy working on Guitar Hero games:
30FPS games have a minimum potential lag of 100ms, but many exceed this.

The lowest latencies a video game can have is 50ms (three frames[/60]) - the PS3 XMB runs at this rate, but few games reach it.
Most 60FPS games have a 66.67ms latency - Ridge Racer 7, for example.

Thrakier

This is awfully disappointing as I just picked up this game. How come this issue hasn't had any traction so far? Is it because people didn't want to believe this issue exists the past few weeks?

Journalists, in general, don't know and inform about technical issues. Don't expect comments about stuff like that outside of DF. They pretend that content is everything and the way the content is delivered (f.e. quality of interaction, framerate, lag) does not exist/matter.

Gamers, at this point, are completly desensitized towards such issues, after more of an decade of mainly lowFPS gaming. 9/10 people at NeoGAF, a "hardcore" forum, are fine with 30FPS games. Which says most.

Skyzard

Banned
Journalists, in general, don't know and inform about technical issues. Don't expect comments about stuff like that outside of DF. They pretend that content is everything and the way the content is delivered (f.e. quality of interaction, framerate, lag) does not exist/matter.

Gamers, at this point, are completly desensitized towards such issues, after more of an decade of mainly lowFPS gaming. 9/10 people at NeoGAF, a "hardcore" forum, are fine with 30FPS games. Which says most.

DF didn't mention it either. They were busy with the grass I guess.

Though their comment section did mention it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-grand-theft-auto-5-performance-analysis

I only get input lag in 1st person but holy hell, it's some disgusting lag.

I can't even play in 1st person, the mode is too damn janky. Hopefully the PC version fairs better in that regard since it'll hopefully be running at 60 fps but until then, I'm sticking with 3rd person.

nikos

Haven't noticed any of the lag that was present last gen on PS4, and I'm sensitive to these things. My Sony TV has 17ms of latency in game mode.

I don't think what people are talking about is input lag, so much as either deadzone issues or the animation system that takes time to wind up.

No input lag for me but the dead zone on the sticks in first person mode makes it so hard to play. They should definitely get to fixing that soon.

Piggus

The people saying there's "no lag" must be playing a different game. Yeah there is lag, you're just apparently not noticing it.

No input lag for me but the dead zone on the sticks in first person mode makes it so hard to play. They should definitely get to fixing that soon.

Aren't they more or less the same thing? Doesn't an increased dead-zone just increase the delay of the movement of the sticks?

Edit: Never mind, I realise the difference now after thinking about it. I guess it's still a kind of delay, though. :p

nOoblet16

Ah okay. Then can camera controls have more input lag than other controls? I guess so if it doesn't "read" camera controls as fast? Or is that all by the console and so the same...

I got it from this Eurogamer article who got it from the guy working on Guitar Hero games:
30FPS games have a minimum potential lag of 100ms, but many exceed this.

100ms is not the minimum input lag for a 30FPS game. NFS: Hot Pursuit was 30FPS and had input lag lower than 100ms...Digitalfoundry wrote that article before NFS: Hot Pursuit came out.

Hot Pursuit had an input lag of 83ms, which compared to 66ms of 60FPS games is only a difference of 1 frame (for a 60FPS game where a frame costs 16.67ms, and "half a frame" for a 30FPS game as they take 33.33ms to render one frame). That's pretty damn amazing.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-nfs-latency-blog-entry

Mass One

I've noticed when I started playing in first person mode that I had to move the stick all the way out for it to register. I just assumed that GTA V has a big dead zone/sensitivity problem.

I haven't noticed it. But maybe I'm not good at noticing this kind of stuff. I would never defend this just to defend it. For me, it's literally an issue I haven't been able to notice. That said, I hate when people try to act like an issue doesn't exist, just because it doesn't impact them.

So if this really is an issue, even though I don't notice it, I support OP or anyone else that is effected by it.

Good post. If only people would understand that just because you don't notice, it doesn't mean it's not a problem for others.

Have to be careful here. Are you sure it's deadzone or is it input latency? People often confuse the two. Take KillZone 2 for example - people were up in arms over a large deadzone, but in reality, it was latency.

As a test, and I've not done this in GTAV yet, nudge the right analogue a couple of mm to the left or right. No movement of the character right? Hold it there. If the character does start moving after a short pause, it's input latency. If not, it's deadzone.

knerl

Every game has input lag, but GTAV on PS4 does not have more of it than other games capped at 30fps. There's some acceleration applied to the camera movement which in itself can create an illusion of input lag.

Like I said, I'm not getting any sort of lag in the PS4 OS. It's not the TV!
Got to love when people try to help with you're issue and you stubbornly refuse, claiming there's nothing to be done and it's just a 'shit game' even though others have said they aren't experiencing your issue! As someone who used to do tech support I find this attitude really annoying

gioGAF

That problem has to be with your personal set up. The input lag you showed on that video is BRUTAL and I would not have been able to overlook it. I have been playing GTA 5 pretty consistently since release and I have not had any problems of that kind only the usual clunky controls the series is known for.

Sorry for the crappy quality, it was done in haste, not that the quality matters much anyway:

GTA V - Input lag/dead-zone issue (PS4)

That problem has to be with your personal set up. The input lag you showed on that video is BRUTAL and I would not have been able to overlook it. I have been playing GTA 5 pretty consistently since release and I have not had any problems of that kind only the usual clunky controls the series is known for.

It says right there in the OP that he doesn't experience this in any other games. And bearing in mind the video has been slowed down.

-griffy-

Banned
It's definitely deadzone. I can move the stick a little and nothing will happen, ever. Until I move it a little bit further and finally aiming kicks in. It's really annoying and makes first person mode a bit of a chore to play in when it comes to shootouts.

Edit: And it's definitely not input lag.

There's a deadzone, but it doesn't feel larger than most any "regular" game (though it doesn't compare to games that feature literally no deadzone at all on PS4, like Resogun/COD:AW/Killzone). It's just that the area immediately around the deadzone only moves your view an absurdly slow amount, as to be almost worthless. So in order to feel like you are properly moving you need to move past that absurdly slow area, and then the curve just jumps up to almost too fast movement, which is what makes aiming in free aim almost impossible.

Sorry for the crappy quality, it was done in haste, not that the quality matters much anyway:

GTA V - Input lag/dead-zone issue (PS4)

It says right there in the OP that he doesn't experience this in any other games. And bearing in mind the video has been slowed down.

Yep, a great example of what playing the game is like. Latency in both third and first person. It's simply more manageable in third person.

Can you run a video where you hold the analogue a few mm so we can get confirmation on deadzone.

Yep, a great example of what playing the game is like. Latency in both third and first person. It's simply more manageable in third person.

Can you run a video where you hold the analogue a few mm so we can get confirmation on deadzone.

I'll record one later, someone else is using the TV right now. But I did test that too, and there was a dead-zone. Not a huge one, though.

Portugeezer

I know GTA definitely suffers from shitty dead zones, all other games are fine in that regard so it's definitely a GTA issue. It could be that there is also input added on top of that, definitely something funky going on.

mxgt

Banned
It's really noticeable in first person. The combat is fucking terrible because of it, it's impossible to aim accurately.

I know GTA definitely suffers from shitty dead zones, all other games are fine in that regard so it's definitely a GTA issue. It could be that there is also input added on top of that, definitely something funky going on.

I really wish they just copied/ported(?) the movement from Max Payne 3 to GTA V. That felt so much better to play. Hell, even Red Dead felt better to play imo.

Top Bottom