• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

ViciousDS

Banned
Are people on about first person only or third? Because as I said, in third person it feels just the same as last gen. I agree though that the first person shooting is pretty shit, I have given up using it for combat.

Got to be first person.....because i asked my buddy why he wasn't playing in first person. His only reason was because there was a massive delay on movement. I got to feel it and was like holy shit this is CoD ghosts xb1 terrible.

Oh my bad, it sounded like no one else had noticed it. That sucks :(

No problemo.

You can also go into the GTA V OT and use the 'search thread' function, type in "input lag", and you'll see a lot of posts from people who have noticed it to.

I really hope Rockstar address this. It's not unplayable, but I don't feel confident aiming in first-person because of it.

I definitely notice it. Had to switch from free aim to auto aim because it was so distracting.

I love free-aim too much to change my settings, so instead of aiming down the sights, I click the right stick so it brings the gun to sort of neck/face-level. That makes it a little more bearable.

Input latency is there. Makes first person useless. Nothing to do with TV settings I'm afraid :(

There's also a huge deadzone, which you can reduce by bumping sensitivity to max, but that doesn't make first person any more enjoyable.

Add to that rubber banding control mechanics, where movement isn't linear, and frankly it controls like shit. A real shame, first person should be amazing.

Didn't played any of the current gen versions yet, nor am I planning on to, having finished the game already on last gen, but that sounds like the input lag difference between 360 and PS3's RE5, which was pretty noticeable for me...

I did think the control inputs were a bit slugish. But i thought it was meant that way or something.. Like with Killzone, if you know what i mean.

Faar from unplayable in my case by the way.

Killzone 2 input lag wasn't entirely on purpose. Part of it was draw back of having post
processing like high quality motion blur done on Cell. Which is why I suspect the sequel dropped it in favor of a tuned down version, but with tighter controls.

I like the game but GTA 5 has some of the worst controls I've ever seen on a big budget game. I don't think it's input lag but there's some fucked up thing with the dead zones and any time you even attempt to do precise aiming, the dead zones plus the incredibly shit acceleration makes it so you go way too far in one direction then when you try to correct it you go way too far in the other. I'm not even joking when I say this game would literally be unplayable without auto aim.

This is on PS4.

seat

This is awfully disappointing as I just picked up this game. How come this issue hasn't had any traction so far? Is it because people didn't want to believe this issue exists the past few weeks?

I like the game but GTA 5 has some of the worst controls I've ever seen on a big budget game. I don't think it's input lag but there's some fucked up thing with the dead zones and any time you even attempt to do precise aiming, the dead zones plus the incredibly shit acceleration makes it so you go way too far in one direction then when you try to correct it you go way too far in the other. I'm not even joking when I say this game would literally be unplayable without auto aim.

This is on PS4.

You should try playing in first-person, with free-aim, and setting the mission difficulty to hard. Cheap, ultra-pinpoint AI coupled with delayed controls do not mix well. Lol.

drotahorror

There's massive deadzone issues with the game. Surprised they haven't been fixed. I play on a PC monitor (10ms) and a Sony Bravia (game mode has 23ms input lag).

This is awfully disappointing as I just picked up this game. How come this issue hasn't had any traction so far? Is it because people didn't want to believe this issue exists the past few weeks?

Things like this only get addressed if enough people notice it and whine about it. It seems to me like there are simply more people who simply do not notice it than there are people who do.

It's most likely your TV.

Go here: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

And look up your TV. Rule of thumb is < 40 is good. < 80 noticeable. And > 80 is consider buying a new tv for gaming

I just ordered a new set and this was my number one requirement

People need to stop saying this. It's nothing to do with our TV's. As I've said already, both Far Cry 4 and BF4 felt great to play. If it was our TV's, we would notice it in all games, not just this one.

No, there is no input lag. I am literally playing it right now.

My favorite game series is Mega Man. So input lag annoys the piss out of me, so I'm pretty sure I'd notice it.

Yes, there is input lag, I was literally playing it an hour ago.

See how this works? Some people notice it, others don't. Either way, it's there.

nakedeyes

Banned
Unlikely, else we'd not be talking about input latency in relation to one game, but all games.

It's more likely that some people just don't notice it.

I just personally don't notice lag as bad as the video on my ps4 GTA V. Other people chimed in with the same. If someone did have latency on their display and noticed it, it's conceiveable that they would relate it to that game in particular.

I am not saying GTA has lighting fast response. There is def a latency in the software ( truth: all games have it on some level, it's just how much ). But the OP video makes me think they have display latency going on in conjunction with any software latency.

Would it hurt the OP to post his set type?

No, there isn't. But thanks for telling me how I'm experiencing the game I'm literally playing right now!

Are you dense? I'm not telling you how you're experiencing it, I'm telling you how I'm experiencing it. Which is with input lag.

Meanwhile, get a better TV

Lmao, man, you really are dense. Either that, or you're choosing to ignore my posts where I clearly say Far Cry 4 and BF4 played perfectly with zero perceivable input lag whatsoever.

Why are you finding it so hard to accept that other people are noticing input lag.

Ranger X

I'm totally getting lag in GTA5 and it appears worse than the PS3 version.

I am equally flasbergasted as the OP about this and the fact NOBODY talked about this before (to be honest, I just bought the game).

also, this thread is fucking hilarious about certain things:

1- Its not because you don't notice it that its not there. Its there. You just might not want to care.

2- Its easy to know if it's your TV or not. Time the PS4 OS which is having zero input lag and compare with the game. GTA5 is a great test because the game is 1080p just like the PS4 OS.

I've noticed it immediately. I think the majority can't even tell what input delay actually is, so the issue has gone unaddressed. I would hope that a patch would be out by now having fixed the problem, but I'm sure at this point, it's going to be pushed under the rug. It pisses me off too OP.

Are you dense? I'm not telling you how you're experiencing it, I'm telling you how I'm experiencing it. Which is with input lag.

Are you dense? I told you how I was experiencing it, then you went on to tell me how I'm experiencing it, then you turn around and get pissy talking nonsense about how I'm doing the exact same thing that you just did?

Meanwhile, get a better TV.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
4 frames is roughly 133 ms, which is in line with most 30fps games.

60fps games always have faster responding controls though.

Definitely.

No, there is no input lag. I am literally playing it right now.

My favorite game series is Mega Man. So input lag annoys the piss out of me, so I'm pretty sure I'd notice it.

Every game has input lag to a certen degree. Even 60fps games.

But some games have it so bad that you actually feel it in the controls.

Are you dense? I told you how I was experiencing it, then you went on to tell me how I'm experiencing it, then you turn around and get pissy talking nonsense about how I'm doing the exact same thing that you just did?

Dude...wtf is wrong with you? I never once told you how you was experiencing your game, I only told you how I was experiencing it and that there is input-lag, to which you stubbornly replied "no, there isn't".

Meanwhile, grow the fuck up.

That's exactly how GTA V feels for me. You hit the nail on the head. It feels like how Killzone 3 felt. Heavy, clunky, and unresponsive. Playing BF4 and Far Cry 4 which both feel great to play, then playing GTA V, only made me notice it even more.
For me i noticed it especially when i swtched to CoD. Ofcourse that is a 60 fps game. Took me half an hour to get used to the speed :p
Oh and it's not the tv... But i personally just got used to it. It wasn't a gamebreaker in any way.

Dude...wtf is wrong with you? I never once told you how you was experiencing your game, I only told you how I was experiencing it and that there is input-lag, to which you stubbornly replied "no, there isn't".

Meanwhile, grow the fuck up.

Nah, I said I wasn't experiencing it, and you chimed in with IT'S THERE YOU ARE JUST NOT NOTICING IT!!!! YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!

I noticed input lag on the Xbox One version too and thought I was just seeing things. I'm not even sure if I'm going to bother playing the "next-gen" versions

I'm playing on a monitor btw which pretty much has no input lag

Whoa!

Guess I may just skip it as well

Nah, I said I wasn't experiencing it, and you chimed in with IT'S THERE YOU ARE JUST NOT NOTICING IT!!!! YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!

Actually he was pointing out how ridiculous you were sounding with your stupid fallacy, which is the equivalence of "Nah. bruh, just you lagging. Get FiOS kid."

Now please stop acting 12 and actually contribute something.

Ranger X

4 frames is roughly 133 ms, which is in line with most 30fps games.

The OP says 4 frame because its what the video of it displays. But it might be more frames in reality. We can't count this just like that. All I know is that the delay is fucking long and I don't have it in most games.

Apparently 30fps games have a MINIMUM of 100ms input lag.

Well no, its entirely dependant on how the game is coded. Its because in the order in wich the code is read + what is read and not read at a given frame. If a game process the controls and cam in top priority before everything else and at every "real" frame, the game will not have any noticeable input lag.

Input lag = bad or unoptimised code structure and architecture. That's all there is to it.

Top Bottom