• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with the 3DS?

DonMigs85

I think it still would have helped if they launched at $200 or never bothered with the DSi line at all. That may have diminished hype for the 3DS. It's also possible that a lot of people are waiting for a possible hardware revision.

plufim

Rocket Punch said:
No, the problem is GAF has the attention span and the memory of a 4 year old.
GAF isn't alone in this. The video game enthusiast press are slamming the 3DS too.

Will the Vita be judged just as harshly when it has the inevitable launch drought? Who knows, probably. People always seem to forget that early adopters always, ALWAYS get screwed. At least with 3DS you got free excitebike.

Zee-Row said:
The DS and 3DS both had their first year growing pains but the main difference is the original DS didn't have good games getting cancelled left and right like whats happening with the 3DS. Its very disheartening to say the least.
Pretty sure the 3DS cancellation rate is on par with the industry in general!

watershed

Banned
LuchaShaq said:
The point is the "hip new" parts of the 3ds...aren't particularly good.
It depends which parts your talking about. In terms of new features streetpass, spotpass, and miimaker are fantastic. AR is okay but not great. The 3d camera is neat but not great. The 3d is probably the least successful feature just because it seems to actively turn people off the system (anecdotal evidence from showing mine around) and its very sensitive. The friend list and eshop need further development but could become powerful differentiators from the ds as well.

totowhoa

Banned
I wished I'd waited for my 3DS purchase sorta. I'd buy a Nintendo system for just the first party software, but if the 3DS doesn't have some stellar third party stuff by next E3, I'll certainly consider it a disappointment for the time being. I really don't have much that I'm personally looking forward to in the near future in that respect. I'm pretty sure my first five or six purchases over the next several months are going to be from Nintendo.. I only grabbed Rayman and SF for the sake of owning something initially.

Duxxy3

AceBandage said:
Neither was the DS compared to the GBA when it came out.

"Who the fuck wants two screens?! I'll just buy a new GBASP and play all the hundreds of awesome games on it!"

But the DS did bring something unique that added to the gameplay - the touchscreen.

watershed

Banned
Sklorenz said:
I wished I'd waited for my 3DS purchase sorta. I'd buy a Nintendo system for just the first party software, but if the 3DS doesn't have some stellar third party stuff by next E3, I'll certainly consider it a disappointment for the time being. I really don't have much that I'm personally looking forward to in the near future in that respect. I'm pretty sure my first five or six purchases over the next several months are going to be from Nintendo.. I only grabbed Rayman and SF for the sake of owning something initially.
It will by next E3. At minimum it will have OoT3D, Star Fox 643D, Super Mario 3ds, Mario Kart 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus, and whatever else comes out before then. On top of the already out but not as good Nintendogs+Cats, PilotWings, and Steel Diver. Oh and the recently announced Pokemon Scramble or Blast in NA. I'd say that's a pretty healthy 1st party line up.

Mileena

Banned
plufim said:
GAF isn't alone in this. The video game enthusiast press are slamming the 3DS too.

Will the Vita be judged just as harshly when it has the inevitable launch drought? Who knows, probably. People always seem to forget that early adopters always, ALWAYS get screwed. At least with 3DS you got free excitebike.
Uncharted and Wipeout say probably not

Zee-Row said:
The DS and 3DS both had their first year growing pains but the main difference is the original DS didn't have good games getting cancelled left and right like whats happening with the 3DS. Its very disheartening to say the least.

what other games have been cancelled for 3ds?
apart from mega man

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
plufim said:
I know it is cool to say "the 3DS is doooooomed", but is it doing demonstratably worse than the first 6 months of the original DS launch? In terms of software the original DS was dismal, and IIRC sales didn't pick up until almost a year in.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the lineups were similar with the droughts. Difference is the 3DS price is a lot higher than the DS launch price at the time. I think more people would be cool with the lack of games or even might get in if the price of entry barrier was lower.

plufim

corkscrewblow said:
Uncharted and Wipeout say probably not
That is two games. The 3DS had games at launch too! The Vita has a handfull of games ready for launch from 2nd parties and probably Ubisoft, but the exact same thing will happen after that. The first 6-12 months of a systems life is very quiet after the launch month.

daffy

Banned
plufim said:
That is two games. The 3DS had games at launch too! The Vita has a handfull of games ready for launch from 2nd parties and probably Ubisoft, but the exact same thing will happen after that. The first 6-12 months of a systems life is very quiet after the launch month.
Terrible games that no one really cared about before launch though.

plufim

upJTboogie said:
I don't think any games from the 3DS lineup will stack up to those two though. Super Stardust might come at launch too.
And then after the great games at launch, people will be bitching for months and months before anything else comes out.

Sound familiar?

plufim said:
And then after the great games at launch, people will be bitching for months and months before anything else comes out.

Sound familiar?
Actually not really, it doesn't sound familiar, because this is a great games launch, the 3DS launch lineup wasn't so great.

We don't know much about how the drought will be after the launch though, but if it has a great launch I'll probably already have a backlog.

plufim said:

Sound familiar?

The launch window lineup for the Vita is much stronger than that of the 3DS. Nintendo rushed this system to market and it shows. We are almost four months past launch and the best game has been a port of an N64 game. Nintendo was banking on the 3d feature driving sales which did not happen.

Things will turn around when Nintendo actually gives consumers a reason to buy their system.

DarkKyo

I'm going to bump this thread in two years and it will have so many classic titles by then that we will all laugh about this.

jay

Dechaios said:
I'm going to bump this thread in two years and it will have so many classic titles by then that we will all laugh about this.

That would be awesome. Plus in two years Feel the Magic XY/3D/XX will be out.

Kazerei

Banned
Just wondering, what is the launch window lineup for PS Vita? Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I haven't heard anything about when the games will be released. The 3DS had a crapload of games announced for it too, but many are yet to come.

EDIT: Nevermind, I googled it. Damn the PS Vita needs to hurry up and get released.

PKrockin

AceBandage said:
And, and for the first year we got... Rub Rabbits?

To my memory, the DS was released Nov 2004 and all of the good games besides SM64DS, Wario Ware Touched, and Super Princess Peach came summer or fall 2005. So yeah, basically the same situation.

Meteos, Kirby, Nintendogs. That's just from my limited memory.

Nintendogs was Spring 2005, Meteos and Kirby were Summer 2005. This November four months from now (8 months after 3DS launch to match July 2005 which was 8 months from DS launch in NA), I think the 3DS will have the games to at least match the DS.

m.i.s.

Banned
AceBandage said:
And, and for the first year we got... Rub Rabbits?

That is very, very, very disingenuous...to say the least.

The touchscreen is all about interactivity. And games like Nintendogs, brain training and 42 all time classics, amongst many, many others arrived just at the right time before the rise and popularity of the smartphone.

The DS was a genuine game changer - 3DS not so much. Which is why I find people who try to compare the two (people who say "the same thing was said about the DS at this stage in the 3DS's life") a little bit odd.

SmokyDave

M.I.S. said:
That is very, very, very disingenuous...to say the least.

The touchscreen is all about interactivity. And games like Nintendogs, brain training and 42 all time classics, amongst many, many others arrived just at the right time before the rise and popularity of the smartphone.

The DS was a genuine game changer - 3DS not so much. Which is why I find people who try to compare the two (people who say "the same thing was said about the DS at this stage in the 3DS's life") a little bit odd.
Totally agree with this. When the DS launched I was satisfied because the novelty of directly interacting with the screen was totally new back then. Rub Rabbits kept me entertained for a while and so did the other launch titles. Whilst they look mediocre now, they were fresh and interesting experiences back then.

3DS just doesn't have that freshness. It's another DS iteration in all but intent.

SmokyDave said:
Totally agree with this. When the DS launched I was satisfied because the novelty of directly interacting with the screen was totally new back then. Rub Rabbits kept me entertained for a while and so did the other launch titles. Whilst they look mediocre now, they were fresh and interesting experiences back then.

3DS just doesn't have that freshness. It's another DS iteration in all but intent.

So... the PS2 was just another PS1.
The 360 is just another Xbox OG.
The Gameboy Advanced was just a Gameboy Color.

What the...
I'm sorry, but no.
The DS has a shittastic first year. I'm seriously wondering if people forget just how painful it really was to wait for games like Kirby and Meteos.
The 3DS already has a better first year lineup than the DS did, and saying "Well, the DS was a game changer!" is completely ignoring the fact that no one knew it was going to so drastically turn around on the heels of Mario Kart and Brain Age.

We have no idea what could turn the 3DS's sales from good to outstanding, and saying it's just another DS iteration is just plain ignorance.

AceBandage said:
So... the PS2 was just another PS1.
The 360 is just another Xbox OG.
The Gameboy Advanced was just a Gameboy Color.

What the...
I'm sorry, but no.
The DS has a shittastic first year. I'm seriously wondering if people forget just how painful it really was to wait for games like Kirby and Meteos.
The 3DS already has a better first year lineup than the DS did, and saying "Well, the DS was a game changer!" is completely ignoring the fact that no one knew it was going to so drastically turn around on the heels of Mario Kart and Brain Age.

We have no idea what could turn the 3DS's sales from good to outstanding, and saying it's just another DS iteration is just plain ignorance.

Very true. People seem to forget that it was a gruelling 6 month wait until Kirby Canvas Curse and Meteos came out and the second wave was getting started... slowly (Advance Wars and Nintendogs came 2 whole months afterwards in August, which is when the 2nd wave really got underway).

After the console's launch (where Mario 64 DS and Rub Rabbits were the only games worth bothering with), it was 3 months until Wario Ware Touched (with people complaning that it wasn't as good as Twisted) and another month until Yoshi's Touch N' Go (Where people complained about it lacking in content and being a glorified tech demo - exactly the same as what happened with Steel Diver. Funnily enough, BOTH games were tech demos that were initially shown off at the same time!)

US Launch (November): Mario 64 DS & Rub Rabbits

Feburary (3 month wait!): Wario Ware Touched

March (1 month wait): Yoshi's Touch N' Go

April (1 month wait): Pac Pix

June (2 month wait): Kirby Canvas Curse & Meteos

August (2 month wait): Advance Wars DS, Nintendogs

Note: The DS didn't get released in Europe/Austraila until March, where they got Wario Ware Touched as a launch title (and they got Minish Cap in November instead). Kirby was also delayed until November.

In comparison, the 3DS has had a much better paced launch window, with no huge drought to speak of.

DonMigs85

So maybe it's really due to the price plus DSi stealing some of its thunder before 3DS even came out. I know a number of folks who bought a DSi just months before 3DS came out, the fools. Some even think it's just a regular DS with a 3D display, unaware that's it's a new generation system with improved specs.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Very true. People seem to forget that it was a gruelling 6 month wait until Kirby Canvas Curse and Meteos came out and the second wave was getting started... slowly (Advance Wars and Nintendogs came 2 whole months afterwards in August, which is when the 2nd wave really got underway).

After the console's launch (where Mario 64 DS and Rub Rabbits were the only games worth bothering with), it was 3 months until Wario Ware Touched (with people complaning that it wasn't as good as Twisted) and another month until Yoshi's Touch N' Go (Where people complained about it lacking in content and being a glorified tech demo - exactly the same as what happened with Steel Diver. Funnily enough, BOTH games were tech demos that were initially shown off at the same time!)

In comparison, the 3DS has had a much better paced launch window, with no huge drought to speak of.

Just like everyone forgot how shitty the 360 was till GRAW and Oblivion came out way way after launch. An absolute snorefest.

Rinse and repeat. At this point all the 3DS bitching is becoming just noise like allways.

1. Nintendo DS sold about 800.000 units more than nintendo forecast.
Nintendo 3DS sold about 800.000 units less than their forecast.
The press pays more attention to this, creating a negative spiral

2. Nintendo DS games weren't cancelled in such numbers as Nintendo 3DS games.

3. Nintendo 3DS is the same price as the PSV

4. Nintendo 3DS is the most expensive Nintendo handheld ever

5. 3rd-party support isn't growing, as successor of the DS, this is concerning. Western support is pathetic.

6. With the PS3 we learned that successors aren't always successful, so consumers got a bit more careful. You can only spend your money once....

7. Consumers are used to smartphones more than in 2004, so handheld sales are bound to be lower (There is more competition than before).

8. 3D isn't working as good as people want. Also, a lot of people don't like the 3D effect and get headaches

9. Batteries won't last longer than 5 hours, and loading times are more present than GBA / DS.

10. Nintendo to target a different audience with 3DS, but is not successful in it.

etc etc..

m.i.s.

Banned
Dechaios said:

You know, it works both ways.

Don't forget that, according to Gaf, the 3DS was poised to break all records and would be the launch to end all launches.

There were even some posters claiming that 3DS, like the Wii before it, would be sold out for two years and you wouldn't be able to find it on shelves anywhere (yeah, I don't what that poster was smoking either).

:eek:)

Mileena

Banned
plufim said:
Nothing the 3DS launched with is in the same league as Uncharted/Wipeout. It's not even close.

SmokyDave

boris feinbrand said:
Just like everyone forgot how shitty the 360 was till GRAW and Oblivion came out way way after launch. An absolute snorefest.

Rinse and repeat. At this point all the 3DS bitching is becoming just noise like allways.
Exactly. It's just like the PAL Saturn launch. Everybody bitching and then.....

Hmm. It seems like a lacklustre launch can sometimes transfer into a lacklustre lifetime.

SmokyDave said:
Exactly. It's just like the PAL Saturn launch. Everybody bitching and then.....

Hmm. It seems like a lacklustre launch can sometimes transfer into a lacklustre lifetime.

The Saturn had way more problems than a lacklustre launch.

Sennorin

Banned
Ahoi-Brause said:
Fucking advance wars.
No handheld after 2000 complete without it.

Ghost Recon > Advance Wars

And yes, 3DS has been fantastic compared to the NDS´ launch. I mean...damn, that was horrible. I mean... Canvas Kirby was the first bigger title, and even that was more of an innovative than a blockbuster-title.

Can´t wait for this year´s October-conference and what games we´ll get in 2012.

We know games is 1 of 3 problems with the 3DS right now. The 3D effect is a double-edged sword, and the market is saturated with DS and thats keeping them happy for now.

Its too early to call it doomed, but it is clear to me that 3DS is doing to have a harder time repeating the DS' success. Nintendo's past success has been in thanks largely to introducing a cool new idea to market, they have yet to prove they can beat the competition without that hook.

If all you're worried about is games, I'm sure the games will come, and be awesome.

Takao said:
Quality.

Interest from gamers.

Unless you think Steel Diver was a masterpiece that had hype or something.
Popularity begets popularity, but there needs to be something to create that initial critical mass.

Non-gamers are what made the DS the huge hit that it was and I think that with the NDS, it was the touchpad that got non-gamers interested. I suspect that a control scheme new to portable systems would have been a better choice- maybe something like a video camera based control scheme.

acm2000

i really think most gamers really dont care about 3d, just look at the abysmal 3d bluray sales figures, 3.5m in the last 12 months, half of which were given away free with players, no one is interested in upgrading their hdtvs, just to get 3d

I wouldn't make any comparisons between tv 3d and the 3ds myself, they're pretty seperate things with the whole glasses issue.

3D wasn't a major hook for me to buy it at all though.

Top Bottom