• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with the 3DS?

Takao

Banned
Yeah, I've owned it for just under a month now, and have played basically nothing but my old DS games. I bought it used for $200 off a friend so I don't mind a tonne.

I'll be done with the platform entirely if Time Travelers, Medarot 3D (I'm assuming the 3DS will be hacked to allow me to import this), and Beyond the Labyrinth get canned.

Seik

Banned
LevityNYC said:
To justify the 3DS is worth 250 by pointing out how he played 5 hours of Excitebike is ridiculous.

Its like saying, I spent 300 for a new PS3 and you wouldn't believe how much time I spent scrolling the XMB.
Wow, man! Stop whining and let the guy do what he wants to.

Excitebike is awesome btw. I'm really bad at it though. :(

Effect

FTH said:
System without competition doesn't compete, news at 11.

Which is another reason to look forward to the PSVita, cheer it on, and to hope it does well sales wise. Even if you aren't that interested in it. Nintendo needs competition to give them a kick in the ass. However this is Nintendo though and it's possible that might not end up happening.

mr_chun

The [first-party] games will come. They always do for Nintendo's handhelds. 10 months after the DS came out, I only had 3 games. Two years later, I had over 40. Not concerned.

Dave Long

Banned
LevityNYC said:
Played 5 hours of Excitebike? Seriously, you paid 250 dollars to play a 25 year old game?
I never said that. Please read my post and not the one you made up in your head.

To spell it out. I PLAYED HOURS AND HOURS OF RIDGE RACER. I also played like five or so hours of Excitebike and enjoyed every single one of them immensely and still continue to play it. It's a great 3D update of an old game. I like classic games. Excitebike was free.

I've also played Pokemon Black for tens of hours on the device. My DS Lite was old and I wanted to replace it. The 3DS is a super replacement with some great games of its own. I also have Street Fighter IV and Ghost Recon, but because Ridge Racer was so addictive on its own, I haven't even tried the other two.

theBishop

Banned
When Nintendo first announced 3DS, it looked like their most promising hardware since N64. 3D may be a novelty, but it's a novelty that appeals to me. And because 3DS is essentially PSP-level hardware I expected Nintendo to step up their production standards... possibly even beyond Wii standards.

But now, 4 months after launch not only is the lineup weak, but there aren't even many announced games I'm excited about. The online functionality also seems very poor. It's just my personal preference, but the possibility of online handheld gaming is very exciting to me.

Takao

Banned
If Medarot 3D were to be canned I don't think I'd ever want to play a Nintendo handheld again. It wouldn't be Nintendo's fault, but my heart can't take a platform that could kill both MML, and Medarot.

Owzers

Seik said:
Wow, man! Stop whining and let the guy do what he wants to.

Excitebike is awesome btw. I'm really bad at it though. :(

It's the equivalent to saying you spent 5 hours with your pet rock and lost interest in your dog. I can't take people seriously when they talk about how much Ridge Racer they've been playing.

Orayn

It's in a weird place right now. Hardware sales are sluggish and the library is still pretty weak, with very little in the way of system-selling titles. Publishers are rightfully worried, and some of them have decided that avoiding the system is a good idea. It might be a different story by mid 2012 with all the great first party stuff that's on the way, but then again, competition with Vita will also be a factor at that point...

daffy

Banned
Effect said:
Which is another reason to look forward to the PSVita, cheer it on, and to hope it does well sales wise. Even if you aren't that interested in it. Nintendo needs competition to give them a kick in the ass. However this is Nintendo though and it's possible that might not end up happening.
Yeah! I plan on buying as soon as possible. Not exactly for this reason but its a nice bonus to know that I may be helping Nintendo release some games.

Maxrunner

There's no western support outside of 2nd parties, etc...the same will happen to psp vita im afraid.....the orignal ds had support because it was a more simple machine and less costly to develop.....not anymore it seems.....

I am not surprised by the lack of sales, honestly. Games are the one reason that is holding back the more diehard Nintendo fans from buying a 3DS but that's just a small fraction of the DS install base, which I guess is where Nintendo is aiming at.

The problem is that nowadays most of the people that got into DS is probably thinking that their smartphone or ipad is the logical step to be done to satisfy their gaming needs. I thought that 3D would make up for that and get enough attention to make it successful from the start but I was not expecting such bad marketing and such an old school/ugly design for their machine. I mean, I'm sure more than half of the people that owns a DS has no clue that the 3Ds exists and if they do they don't see in it enough difference from what the DS offer to warrant a purchase.

The worst part is that in one year from now probably smartphones will have also 3D screens with better resolution and Nintendo's only way of driving sales will be through games but I really doubt that's going to make sales skyrocket although it might save the system from being a complete failure.

Oni Jazar said:
And what is the deal with airline food?

LOL

Shalashaska161 said:
Pretty much every console has droughts for the first few months/year. This is hardly a new thing.
Other new system's biggest game is a remake over a ten+ year old title?
No.
Remember the massive 3rd party olive branch that was the 3ds? Now, head over to this months boxart thread and tell me what you see. The funny thing is that nintendo is already shooting their first party load early with a mario and mario kart soon. If they had the third party support they said they had, then that probably wouldn't be necessary.

madara

Well I can only hope the first year is just like the DS and give it more time but yes ungodly bad launch for 3DS. I was an idiot to buy it personally I dont buy hardware this early without major AAA software the last few years. New rpgs are going have to be announced soon. I can easily see where Vita could eat this thing alive depending on where developers are going.

theBishop

Banned
xtrasauce said:
A console has few worthwhile games the first year of its release? Unprecedented!

edit: Tucah beat me to it.

Even if we accept this wisdom, there's supposed to be a stable of games on the horizon. When SNES launched, the retail box had pictures of Link to the Past even though that game wouldn't come out for a while. With PS3, MGS4 was that game.

Arguably, Kid Icarus is that game for 3DS, but the more Nintendo shows, the less I'm excited about it.

Reuenthal

Banned
System is doing fine, the only problem is the cost and that the 3d feature isn't as enticing as Nintendo might have hoped. I don't see any problem in terms of game library, in fact the announced titles are pretty good and it seems to have quite a nice library. Might even have a better first+ year than DS had.

I guess increased competition from cellphones might also be a problem for it. And as always with new consoles-game devices, it is rarely wise to get one at launch. In the case of 3DS it might even be more wise to get it than the DS when it just came out.

I predict it being quite a success but bellow DS.

Effect

FTH said:
Yeah! I plan on buying as soon as possible. Not exactly for this reason but its a nice bonus to know that I may be helping Nintendo release some games.

Oh I don't mean buy it even if you aren't interested. Just wanted to be clear.

sk3tch said:
If you wanna go that route - PS2 had something else going for it that was huge - DVD playback. At the time it was one a pretty affordable purchase even if you just went DVD. The 3DS is a one purpose machine only. Yeah...it does Netflix. But so does everything. And they do it cheaper.

What about the DS though?

Never been big on handhelds but enjoyed the 3D effect that I played at Gamestop...the only thing that made me not want to purchase was the screen size. Way too small. Do most handhelds rock screens that small?

Cygnus X-1

Line-up for fall looks pretty solid, but hat 3DS needs most is to differentiate from DS. And for that, you need more than just sequels.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ahoi-Brause said:
When it was first announced I was pretty much hyped, then they released the thing without games... what's to come?
3 major Mario brand games, 1 Luigi and some 3rd party heavy hitters like Re: Revelations. That should be enough to kickstart it a little and convince more 3rd parties.

Not sure how you're into games enough to be on GAF yet have to ask questions like this really. I don't even care about the 3DS that much yet yet I know of its lineup.

I think the problem with the 3DS is its price. It will sell a lot better as soon as it gets its first price cut. Also, as another user said before, the DS being sold at 99 dollars is too attractive to ignore.

Clunker

I'm perfectly fine with the general lack of games now, as that is par for the course with any system launch, but I am becoming antsy WRT upcoming third-party announcements. I was hoping for something new to get excited about at E3 and the only thing new was the Rolling Western. :/ If TGS is another no-show I will be bummed beyond belief.

I loved my DS, but the year or so prior to the 3DS launch was pretty dry for new releases, and I operated under the assumption that this was because Japanese third-parties were gearing up to hit the ground running on 3DS. So far this has been not the case, Capcom aside (and I put dozens of hours into SSFIV, but ironically, my interest got me to pick up a 360 copy along with a Fightpad).

I can't fault Nintendo's own output, as it looks impressive this Q4, but I'm more interested in what happens after the dust settles in 2012, as only Mario Kart and Mario platformers interest me from the Big N, and those boxes will be checked in a few months.

theBishop

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
Never been big on handhelds but enjoyed the 3D effect that I played at Gamestop...the only thing that made me not want to purchase was the screen size. Way too small. Do most handhelds rock screens that small?

Vita = 5"
PSP = 4.3"
DS XL = 4.2"
PSP Go = 3.8"
3DS = 3.5"
DSi = 3.3"
GBA = 2.9"

PSP's 4.3" screen was considered huge on a handheld in 2004. 3DS is a little on the small side, but it's one of the biggest screens Nintendo has ever used.

Wolfe

While I love my 3DS and am very much looking forward to Nintendo's games the dying third party support is bumming me out, I hope this isn't a continuing trend.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Cow Mengde said:
I'm probably the only guy who can stomach airline food. Though I usually choose something Asian. I'm told you should always pick the chicken. You can't fuck up chicken.
You can totally fuck up chicken. In fact, MOST people fuck up chicken.

Dave Long

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
It's the equivalent to saying you spent 5 hours with your pet rock and lost interest in your dog. I can't take people seriously when they talk about how much Ridge Racer they've been playing.
There's more gameplay in playing a few tracks on Excitebike than in many modern games. Same with Ridge Racer, which is frankly one of the best entries in the series in years.

I often find the early games on a console to be some of the most entertaining because developers focus on gameplay and leave out a lot of the extraneous bullshit that drags down modern gaming.

You obviously like different things. My opinion is as "serious" as anyone else's.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Poor software line up, a price that's way too high for anyone but enthusiasts, and poor marketing is going to lead to poor sales. I think it's great hardware, I like mine a lot, and I'm excited as hell for the fall onslaught of games, but it's definitely not doing well now.

I'm guessing the price will be cut to $199 by fall, and that combined with the release of Mario Kart & Mario 3DS will definitely help sales. Maybe by then they can try to market it as a completely separate entity from the DS so they don't confuse the marketplace.

I don't regret my purchase that much, though I'm a bit disappointed in playing DS games on it. I guess that's an okay excuse to buy a DSi XL, though!

nofi

metsallica said:
I've used my 3DS every day since launch to play 3DS-specific software. IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME, GAF?!

Me too. I've got a library of 10 or so games and I'm happy enough.

Don't get the hate.

EvilNando

Neo Member
are you guys real when hyping this thing because of "1st party titles"

I mean arent you people tired of playing the same fucking game? its pretty ridiculous

Meier

My girlfriend was really sad when I broke the news to her that Animal Crossing wasn't actually coming out next month. Gamestop's release list when it went on sale said this and she'd been thinking it was accurate since. :(

She said oh well, guess no 3DS for me.. time to get an iPad instead.

Wolfe said:
While I love my 3DS and am very much looking forward to Nintendo's games the dying third party support is bumming me out, I hope this isn't a continuing trend.

dying 3rd party support? This is news to me.
3rd party support seems much better than the DS launch.

Im not worried about the 3ds. The system capabilities are on par with PS2/dreamcast/Gamecube so at the very least expect a ton of straight console ports..in 3D.

theBishop said:
Vita = 5"
PSP = 4.3"
DS XL = 4.2"
PSP Go = 3.8"
3DS = 3.5"
DSi = 3.3"
GBA = 2.9"

PSP's 4.3" screen was considered huge on a handheld in 2004. 3DS is a little on the small side, but it's one of the biggest screens Nintendo has ever used.

Yeah...I think 4.2 should be the absolute minimum for these screens. I really wanted to play Ocarina on that thing but I can just imagine how small it'd look. I'll wait for an XL version.

Alexios

EvilNando said:

I mean arent you people tired of playing the same fucking game? its pretty ridiculous
Aren't "you people" tired of trolling? The same game? Really? So Nintendo only makes one franchise and never offers anything new with its sequels? Really? You people? Really?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sure there's droughts with every new system, but at the same time Nintendo used to launch new hardware with a flagship game.
There was a time when a new Nintendo system launch meant new Super Mario Brothers game. I don't know whether they've simply gotten too cocky figuring they can sell anything with their name on it or what, but yeah, the 3DS launch certainly would've benefitted a bit if Nintendo planned on introducing a new Mario/Zelda/Mariokart game to go along with the system day one. They chose not to, and so the launch suffered a bit more than past system launches, that were better planned.
I picked up a used 3DS a few weeks back at a great price, but returned it before the week was up because I had no reason to own one at the moment. I played some SSF4, but then reality hit that everything I truly wanted didn't even have a release date. By the time the games I wanted showed up, the price could drop on new units, or there could be a new "Lite" version. I figured why keep it?
It's clear that Nintendo hasn't been happy with the 3DS's performance at retail, so one can only hope that they learn their lesson, and actually put some effort into the U launch, instead of sitting on their ass hoping it prints money.

Futureman

Meier said:
My girlfriend was really sad when I broke the news to her that Animal Crossing wasn't actually coming out next month. Gamestop's release list when it went on sale said this and she'd been thinking it was accurate since. :(

She said oh well, guess no 3DS for me.. time to get an iPad instead.

DUMP HER.

or buy that Sword and Sworcery game on her iPad. Either way.

snesfreak

Banned
EvilNando said:

1/10
Try harder next time.
Also: You people?
What the hell you mean YOU people?

Sipowicz

Banned
it's just a terrible system. the worst nintendo have released since the virtual boy

archaic, expensive, useless + lacking in many of the features handheld gamers have become used to. every sale it gets is too much

Alexios

Sipowicz said:
it's just a terrible system. the worst nintendo have released since the virtual boy

archaic, expensive, useless + lacking in many of the features handheld gamers have become used to. every sale it gets is too much
I'd think handheld gamers were very used to DS given its insane success, what does the 3DS lack compared to that? Or the PSP (since Vita isn't out to be used to it)?

Top Bottom