• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with the 3DS?

-MB-

Sipowicz said:
it's just a terrible system. the worst nintendo have released since the virtual boy

archaic, expensive, useless + lacking in many of the features handheld gamers have become used to. every sale it gets is too much

You are gonna last a long time on neogaf, that is for sure...

SmokyDave

EvilNando said:
are you guys real when hyping this thing because of "1st party titles"

I mean arent you people tired of playing the same fucking game? its pretty ridiculous
I was trying to think of a nice way of saying this. I see lists like:

Mario
Mario Kart
Starfox
Zelda
Metroid
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Luigi's Mansion
Paper Mario

And I can't tell if they're supposed to be 'for' or 'against'. The system needs some serious 3rd party hitters, not the same franchises all over again.

Having said that, all the titles I've listed will sell gangbusters and I'll be left scratching my head.

Sipowicz said:
it's just a terrible system. the worst nintendo have released since the virtual boy

archaic, expensive, useless + lacking in many of the features handheld gamers have become used to. every sale it gets is too much

oh really ?

Alextended said:
I'd think handheld gamers were very used to DS given its insane success, what does the 3DS lack compared to that? Or the PSP (since Vita isn't out to be used to it)?

exactly my thought

Futureman

SmokyDave said:

Mario
Mario Kart
Starfox
Zelda
Metroid
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Luigi's Mansion
Paper Mario

And I can't tell if they're supposed to be 'for' or 'against'. The system needs some serious 3rd party hitters, not the same franchises all over again.

Having said that, all the titles I've listed will sell gangbusters and I'll be left scratching my head.

you don't understand why people love those games? Ok. Why do you spend so much time on a videogame messageboard if you have no understand of the videogame market?

snesfreak

Banned
Sipowicz said:

lol

-MB- said:
You are gonna last a long time on neogaf, that is for sure...
He's been around 2008.

Anyway my 3DS is gathering dust. I really thought Nintendo had some good 3rd party support this time but once again I was wrong.

Takao

Banned
Alextended said:
I'd think handheld gamers were very used to DS given its insane success, what does the 3DS lack compared to that? Or the PSP (since Vita isn't out to be used to it)?

Games.

20110128203738!Trollface.png

It's missing TV-output, Skype, Internet Radio, a DD shop with retail titles, video shop, comics, demos, a save state system that allows a user to exit a game, go to the XMB, play another game, and then play the game they were playing before at the same spot, controller linking, etc. PSP had a tonne of under-appreciated features.

Futureman said:
you don't understand why people love those games? Ok. Why do you spend so much time on a videogame messageboard if you have no understand of the videogame market?

Well, I used to love Mario games, and they used to sell me Nintendo platforms on their own. But I'm not feeling the 3DS Mario game at all, and to be quite frank, I'm burned out on the franchise. It's not that hard to think that others feel the same way for Nintendo's other franchises. They have a select few, and that select few will be the ones you'll be seeing year in and year out.

theBishop

Banned
SmokyDave said:

Mario
Mario Kart
Starfox
Zelda
Metroid
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Luigi's Mansion
Paper Mario

Crush in 3D is ... intriguing. And it's not out of the question that Resident Evil Revelations could be really good... sometime in 2012.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Takao said:
At least you admit what you're doing yourself so others don't have to point it out.

It's missing TV-output, a DD shop with retail titles, video shop, comics, demos, a save state system that allows a user to exit a game, go to the XMB, play another game, and then play the game they were playing before at the same spot, controller linking, etc.
I don't think the DS had any of that and I don't think the PSP had some of that (like the fancy save state). Even iOS don't have all that (since there are no iOS retail games its dd shop doesn't include such) and even Vita won't have all that (no TV-output confirmed, right?). A video shop is coming via Netflix among other features. So I don't think any of that qualifies as lacking the features people are "used to" and being "useless". But thanks for putting effort into it.

m.i.s.

Banned
Tucah said:
Do people not remember how system launches go? The software lineup is pretty normal as far as first years go. Nintendo's first party output for the system is fine - we're getting a new Mario Kart and Mario platformer in the first year!

The DS launch in particular was AWFUL. There was nothing to play for months and months - at least for the 3DS we have some decent games coming out here and there (an incredible remake of one of the best games ever just came out!).

The system's expensive, sure, but I'd almost guarantee a price cut for the holidays/Vita launch.

Bottom line, Nintendo probably rushed the system a bit and could have waited until the holiday to release the thing, but software-wise it's on par with pretty much every other system launch ever. People need to learn to either be patient or stop buying systems at launch if you want dozens of games to play right away.

Not comparable. Third pillar and all that. Completely new touch screen gaming concept. Mass market price of games and system. GBA was also only four years old at that point.

In contrast, DS was on the market for just over seven years before 3DS arrived - and with an interim DSi system with online features - so Nintendo should have got their act together by this point.

I Just cannot fathom the complacency of some people. We've been through this all before. Nintendo will probably find a market if the console is priced cheaper but unless the price of the software is reduced to DS levels, we're looking at a PSP like situation where the 3DS software market never takes off outside of the absolute cream of the crop. That's not good for Nintendo and that's definitely not good for third parties.

njean777

I bought mine for Zelda since I never played the game, and have enjoyed it every time I have played the system. Sure there are few games right now, but that should change this holiday.

Takao

Banned
Alextended said:
I don't think the DS had any of that and I don't think the PSP had some of that (like the fancy save state). Even iOS don't have all that (since there are no iOS retail games its dd shop doesn't include such). So I don't think any of that qualifies as lacking the features people are "used to".

Every feature I listed is in the latest PSP model (PSP N100 - or PSPgo).

Vita won't have TV out at first as to not kill the PS3 in Japan. It'll get it in a revision. Wii is already dead, so no reason for 3DS not to have that.

Frankfurt

Banned
JazzmanZ said:
Just wait until the years end before you write off the 3DS as more doomed than the virtual boy.

Gotta love apologetic arguments.

If it will take one year for support to start, they shouldn't have released it yet.

-MB-

Takao said:
Every feature I listed is in the latest PSP model (PSP N100 - or PSPgo).

Vita won't have TV out at first as to not kill the PS3 in Japan. It'll get it in a revision. Wii is already dead, so no reason for 3DS not to have that.

And we all know how well that revision did lol.

DarkKyo

Ken said:
Nope, but Mercenaries and SSFIV have given me close to 160 hours of playtime on my 3DS so I don't feel as troubled by the lack of games.
I'd say you are a weird one but hey who isn't?

Sqorgar

Banned
Games take time to make. New systems tend to begin life with a few high quality games (usually first party, since they have the dev kits early enough), a few quickie sequals, a bunch of shovelware, and a bunch of ports. New, unique games specific to a new console typically take a year or longer before they become common.

The 360, when it first came out, had a bunch of up-ports from the Xbox and PS2 (Just Cause, Far Cry Instincts, Burnout Revenge, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, Gun, etc). I was in Japan when the PS2 came out in the US, but the first year of games in Japan was largely shovelware and ports too. The N64 had TWO games at launch, and there were something like 10 games by Christmas. Happens every single time, with every single console.

Be patient and wait. Don't be an early adopter if you can handle it. Personally, I've really enjoyed Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Samurai Warrior Chronicles, and Ocarina of Time.

BurntPork

Banned
sk3tch said:
The 3DS is on life support. I have been trying to sell mine for weeks. There are brand new units regularly selling for around $215 on eBay so it's hard to compete out there. Just a lot of folks jumping ship due to the lack of games. I mean, they're not even supporting their downloadable eShop very well. Just release Virtual Console games...it's all I ask, dammit!

Too expensive for what it is. Kids can't afford it. Parents don't want to buy it. Especially with the DS at $99.

Exactly. Mario isn't going to save a $250 handheld. Maybe if they cut the price.
If you're selling it already, you're an idiot for buying it in the first place. You obviously didn't buy it for the launch games, so it must have been for the upcoming Nintendo games, all of which are still coming. You should have waited.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
All I know is that I have played around 15 hours of Ghost Recon so far and 6 of Ocarina of Time and am loving both.

I do want the Layton 3DS game though and some new stuff.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Futureman said:
That's not what he was commenting on and you know it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Takao said:
It'll get it in a revision.
Cool, I can use that reply for every "missing" feature listed too and then if it doesn't happen it's okay because I'll have won this argument that everyone will have forgotten.

GJS

Frankfurt said:
Gotta love apologetic arguments.

If it will take one year for support to start, they shouldn't have released it yet.
Yet it took plenty of other systems just as long to get support, particularly the DS. This is a common occurrence during the launch of new consoles in recent years, it's just how things go.

If they delayed it they would just be pushing back further the period of time it takes to gain support and for people to start upgrading.

This is just like any other console launch. Pretty soon the new Nintendo games will only be coming out on 3DS. People with DS only will start looking to upgrade.

The Price will probably be lower by then too. This happens pretty much every time.

SmokyDave

Futureman said:
I don't understand why those titles are enough to sustain people. They're all very polished, very competent franchises but there's just nothing new to see there. I'd expect people to be salivating over new and exciting third party IP's, not marginal iterations on existing franchises.

theBishop said:
Crush in 3D is ... intriguing. And it's not out of the question that Resident Evil Revelations could be really good... sometime in 2012.
Yeah, there's bound to be a gem or two (thousand) come along, I'd just like to see more of them when the 'list warz' break out.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
60_gig_PS3 said:
This is just like any other console launch. Pretty soon the new Nintendo games will only be coming out on 3DS. People with DS only will start looking to upgrade.

The Price will probably be lower by then too. This happens pretty much every time.
The market is not so predictable. Saturn, N64, Gamecube and PS3 are evidence enough of that.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
theBishop said:
Shame Crushed just got delayed until Feb. 2012.

Takao

Banned
Alextended said:
Cool, I can use that reply for every "missing" feature listed too and then if it doesn't happen it's okay because I'll have won this argument that everyone will have forgotten.

Okay, but I think it's pretty clear Sony will do TV output with Vita eventually. The moment their focus went from PS2 to PS3 they put TV output in PSP.

-MB- said:
And we all know how well that revision did lol.

The only features on the list that are Go exclusive are controller linking, and the save state. Vita will have some form of save state. Controller linking is a no go, because it wouldn't make sense without TV out.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
The smart decision was to buy it at a price cut. The 3D gimmick won't hold for long and until PSV's out handheld gaming is officially in a coma.

theBishop

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Yeah, there's bound to be a gem or two (thousand) come along, I'd just like to see more of them when the 'list warz' break out.

Hate to say it, but maybe you're barking up the wrong tree.

Ken said:
What's so weird about enjoying handheld ports of games that I also enjoyed on consoles?
It's weird if you argue console -> portable ports are a bad thing only when it's not your favorite console maker that's doing it.

Sipowicz

Banned
SmokyDave said:
I don't understand why those titles are enough to sustain people. They're all very polished, very competent franchises but there's just nothing new to see there. I'd expect people to be salivating over new and exciting third party IP's, not marginal iterations on existing franchises.

nintendo has become way too conservative with their develoepers. apart from a few titles here and there i cant remeber the last time i played a decent new ip from them

still, tired as they are i would take those games in an instant over the dreck sony has prepared for the vita. shitter versions of their PS3 franchises farmed out to "handheld teams" wherever possible. not only predictable, but lazy to boot

SmokyDave said:
Let's retitle this topic "List Famous Nintendo Franchises From The Past 20 Years" because that's pretty much all that's gonna happen in here.
Your new avatar really isn't an improvement on the old one.
Now you look like a creepo who is offering kids lollypops and soda :p

m.i.s.

Banned
Dr Eggman said:
The 3D gimmick won't hold for long and until PSV's out handheld gaming is officially in a coma.

Quite right. All the action is taking place elsewhere at the moment and Nintendo, Sony just appear to be reacting.

I do wonder if softco's and pubs will flock to Vita though because of it's dual analog controls.

JazzmanZ

Takao said:
Yeah, I've owned it for just under a month now, and have played basically nothing but my old DS games. I bought it used for $200 off a friend so I don't mind a tonne.

I'll be done with the platform entirely if Time Travelers, Medarot 3D (I'm assuming the 3DS will be hacked to allow me to import this), and Beyond the Labyrinth get canned.

Do you remember what you played when the DS first came out?
Probably the Metroid demo, 64DS and a whole bunch of GBA games.

You have to wait until theres more variety out for a system thats only been out for half a year.

Krev said:
The market is not so predictable. Saturn, N64, Gamecube and PS3 are evidence enough of that.

its predictable when not much has changes since last time around.

It may take a while for people to accept that 3ds is the new DS and Vita is the new PSP. Nothing really different from last gen.

Itll sink in more Once the old platforms are no longer being supported.

krumble

Had the 3DS since launch - absolutely LOVE it

Got a load of games I play all the time, I use the machine daily, love the fact that as time passes I get more and more spot passes as I go round town, and the online strategy may be slowly implemented... so was PSN back when that first launched.... the barebones shop from launch was terrible compared to whats in place now.

Picked up some of the lesser games as they have become budget as they are fun...
I think 3DS is my most played system in years
The only system that has given me this level of enjoyment early on was Dreamcast

The nightmare of owning a DS at launch and the months and months and months of playing zookeeper, waiting for wario, and yoshi...
All good games, but none of them system sellers
The DS was crap the first year... probably the reason I bought the PSP

3DS has a lot going for it, I think people are just picking on it as summer is always slow for gaming, and it seems to be the in thing to rat on Nintendo

And I have a Vita pre-order in place... but can only see a handful of games there that I will want - Uncharted, Wipeout ... nothing compared to the library I already have and the one coming for the 3DS...

Come back in a year after the holiday period is over and raise this issue
Until then it's just a waste of time

iirate

EvilNando said:

I mean arent you people tired of playing the same fucking game? its pretty ridiculous

The problem is, outside of smaller/indie devs, Nintendo has more gameplay diversity (and consistent quality) than just about every other publisher.

Takao

Banned
JazzmanZ said:

You have to wait until theres more variety out for a system thats only been out for half a year.

I didn't buy a DS until 2006 (when NSMB came out) because I was in the PSP camp and there was literally nothing even announced on the DS I even thought about buying back in 2004.

3DS had Medarot, MGS (Not buying that now), MML3 (RIP), and some cool smaller Japanese games announced. Given this is nearly 2 gen old tech in the 3DS, I wasn't expecting years for games not made by Square Enix.

I really think it's done, and not because of the lack of software, but because it's just too similar to the DS for the average consumer to differentiate. We've all heard the stories of stores keeping 3DS and DS games in the same compartment. I saw this coming and so did lots of other people. It's just not different enough.

BurntPork said:
If you're selling it already, you're an idiot for buying it in the first place. You obviously didn't buy it for the launch games, so it must have been for the upcoming Nintendo games, all of which are still coming. You should have waited.
Actually I think he's doing the right thing if he's really not interested in it anymore. If he can get $200 for it after eBay/Paypal fees, I'd definitely go for it. That's only a $50 loss + whatever loss from the games. Better to get rid of it now than when the price drops.

m.i.s.

Banned
JazzmanZ said:

I messed around with it a ton when I got my DS at launch. SM64 DS kept me busy for weeks as did Yoshi Touch and Go and the mini games that came with SM64 DS. Often, I'd just switch the system on just to mess around with the touch screen and the chat and draw application because it was all so new. And the games were reasonably priced (many cheaper than GBA games here).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
EvilNando said:

Yeah that's why I decided to get a PSVita instead, more Uncharted goodness, portable too!

this argument is dumb as shit for BOTH Vita and 3DS and the truth is that portable gaming seems to be in a pretty nasty situation at the moment

StevieP

Banned
Heavy said:
I really think it's done, and not because of the lack of software, but because it's just too similar to the DS for the average consumer to differentiate. We've all heard the stories of stores keeping 3DS and DS games in the same compartment. I saw this coming and so did lots of other people. It's just not different enough.

You mean like how PS3 software was kept next to the PS2 software at launch? And the how the "Xbox" section at your average Gamestop held both the 360 launch titles and OG Xbox titles for the longest time? Dear lord you guys are bonkers. Most of GAF has the memory of a goldfish.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
krumble said:
Had the 3DS since launch - absolutely LOVE it

Got a load of games I play all the time, I use the machine daily, love the fact that as time passes I get more and more spot passes as I go round town, and the online strategy may be slowly implemented... so was PSN back when that first launched.... the barebones shop from launch was terrible compared to whats in place now.

Picked up some of the lesser games as they have become budget as they are fun...
I think 3DS is my most played system in years
The only system that has given me this level of enjoyment early on was Dreamcast

The nightmare of owning a DS at launch and the months and months and months of playing zookeeper, waiting for wario, and yoshi...
All good games, but none of them system sellers
The DS was crap the first year... probably the reason I bought the PSP

3DS has a lot going for it, I think people are just picking on it as summer is always slow for gaming, and it seems to be the in thing to rat on Nintendo

And I have a Vita pre-order in place... but can only see a handful of games there that I will want - Uncharted, Wipeout ... nothing compared to the library I already have and the one coming for the 3DS...

Come back in a year after the holiday period is over and raise this issue
Until then it's just a waste of time
I cringed.

I'm pretty much done with my 3DS. I know Nintendo has a couple original titles coming, but it's frustrating that they think it's a great idea to basically port N64 games. I think the cancellation of Mega Man Legends is the final straw for me.

Anyone looking to buy a used 3DS?

Top Bottom