• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U System Update Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
WTF just happened to my Wii U? Can any of you help or know anything about this? I don't want to have to send it for repairs. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

I was using my Gamepad, but had noticed that my internet connection had been intermittent today, and right now completely nonexistent. So I decide to see if it's the internet or the Gamepad, and it's the Gamepad because my laptop is working perfectly fine and it's farther away from the router than the Wii U. So I decide to just restart the console.

Console turns on, but fails to connect to the Gamepad says taht it's out of reach with the console. I bring it less than a foot close, NOTHING. I hold the power button on the console to turn it off and it won't turn off... I'm left with unplugging it from the back of the console. I unplug it, replug it, turn it back on, through the Gamepad, and the same scenario. I try it once more, but this time turn it on through the console itself and not the Gamepad.. my TV displays nothing and of course the Gamepad neither.

WTF is this shit? I hardly use this piece of shit because there are no games for it. I use it very little and only for internet browsing here and there while in bed, and now it won't do the simplest of functions: TURN THE FUCK ON? GTFO. Expensive, useless piece of plastic... at least at this moment.

Someone tell me I don't have to send this in for repairs and that I'm doing something wrong and forgot how to brain, because I'm really irritated at this point.

It does not there was a small update at the beginning of the month which people thought could have been the spring update

we were at 2.2 I think could have remembered this wrong but I think you missed 1 dude it does not update auto games update auto in the background Firmware you need to watch it well until 3.0.0

Well I'm at the "screen of death" I'm going to bed and will post if tomorrow it worked

If it's still not working I'll call Nintendo customer support after work

Yeah, this is never going to change. The Wii's update infrastructure is completely different from the Wii U. They would have to push a update for the Wii side specifically in order to try and get rid of the HBC again. They've stopped updating the Wii for years, I see no reason for them to care about being able to access the HBC on the Wii side with limited features.

Well, a full system reset of the Wii U does wipe the vWii NAND back to scratch (if it is not bricked), so I'm not convinced it is impossible to update the vWii from the Wii U.

But I do agree that they don't care.

WTF just happened to my Wii U? Can any of you help or know anything about this? I don't want to have to send it for repairs. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

I was using my Gamepad, but had noticed that my internet connection had been intermittent today, and right now completely nonexistent. So I decide to see if it's the internet or the Gamepad, and it's the Gamepad because my laptop is working perfectly fine and it's farther away from the router than the Wii U. So I decide to just restart the console.

Console turns on, but fails to connect to the Gamepad says taht it's out of reach with the console. I bring it less than a foot close, NOTHING. I hold the power button on the console to turn it off and it won't turn off... I'm left with unplugging it from the back of the console. I unplug it, replug it, turn it back on, through the Gamepad, and the same scenario. I try it once more, but this time turn it on through the console itself and not the Gamepad.. my TV displays nothing and of course the Gamepad neither.

WTF is this shit? I hardly use this piece of shit because there are no games for it. I use it very little and only for internet browsing here and there while in bed, and now it won't do the simplest of functions: TURN THE FUCK ON? GTFO. Expensive, useless piece of plastic... at least at this moment.

Someone tell me I don't have to send this in for repairs and that I'm doing something wrong and forgot how to brain, because I'm really irritated at this point.

press the sync button? it will ask you to redo the code

Hmm, anyone with a USB Network/Ethernet Adapter want to test out and see if their speeds are faster with it now?

Because it seems to be slightly faster than WiFi for me now, as it should be. Using www.bandwidth-test.net, as it was the only test that worked with the Wii U browser before. Not the most accurate but it's the best we've got for now.

Guys, since the Update is done. Can I go a little bit off-topic for a second?

I bought Need for Speed Most Wanted U, but I get the Error Message 50005 "My Software isn't up to date and I can't connect to Autolog." I know there is a Update for that Game, but I didn't receive an Update Message when starting the Game. Is there anything I can do. Can I update Games manually from the E-Shop? I have a physical copy.

Guys, since the Update is done. Can I go a little bit off-topic for a second?

I bought Need for Speed Most Wanted U, but I get the Error Message 50005 "My Software isn't up to date and I can't connect to Autolog." I know there is a Update for that Game, but I didn't receive an Update Message when starting the Game. Is there anything I can do. Can I update Games manually from the E-Shop? I have a physical copy.

is the eshop up at the mo where you are? it cant do game updates if the eshop is down

Harlock

The browser version of Miiverse turn easy share the drawings. The future 3DS version will be separate?

zlCfzQ9s3IsDlhB16M

OMG was my Wii U downloading the update in the background and I killed it?! GAIS, I'm panicking, read my message above, please!

turn it off if you want download is nothing as long as it is not installing yet

you just need to sync your gamepad make sure you have it plugged in a while and has juice

MarkusRJR

What's strange is that while you can change the size of the screen you can't position it in any way. I have to either have a black bar up top or have a bit cut off on the other sides. Seems like a bit of an oversight...

Oh, and Wii VC games continue to be unable to be in 4:3 because the Wii U constantly upscales everything to 720p, which my TV can't scale. I have like $400+ of VC games that are stuck in the wrong aspect ratio.

Those two issues and the lack or ability to send out audio via the multi-out are issues Nintendo should really fix.

Roo

Impossible, there is nothing showing on my TV for me to put a code in... WTF just happened...

In my opinion, unplug every wire from the console, even the sensor bar, let it rest for 15-20 minutes and charge the gamepad. Turn it on again and try again. If it doesn't work then call Nintendo

Btw... Calling the console piece of shit won't make it any better so chill out.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
Okay, to all of you that replied in my frenzy, THANK YOU!

Just some backup: I had to restart my console about 10 times by unplugging it and replugging it in the back of the console. The console would not shut off by the Wii U remote, nor the power button on the console (I held it for a whole minute several times). The syncing option that you guys were mentioning wasn't working and was not the problem either, because I had my Wii U on the correct channel, and nothing was displayed on my television from the console itself. My Gamepad was telling me to enter the icons int he order displayed on my screen, but my screen was completely blank. I just kept restarting over and over and it finally worked, and for whatever reason, I had to redo my internet settings.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
In my opinion, unplug every wire from the console, even the sensor bar, let it rest for 15-20 minutes and charge the gamepad. Turn it on again and try again. If it doesn't work then call Nintendo

Btw... Calling the console piece of shit won't make it any better so chill out.

I'm sorry, I was upset. I love this shiny thing, I was just very upset. Thank you all!

I'm sorry, I was upset. I love this shiny thing, I was just very upset. Thank you all!

could easily be something very simple as a loose wire between the console and the TV that caused a loss of image but when you get upset it is harder to trackdown those things so even now you really have not idea what went wrong you just kept doing until you got the result you wanted. It will happen again and you might end up with a bricked Wii U because you hammered at it too much for a simple thing.

my gamepad lost connection 6 times today and just right now I could not turn the console on with it and I am just two feet away in bed from it so this thing has lots of little issues that will frustrate you.

glad you got it working

helium121

Banned
What's strange is that while you can change the size of the screen you can't position it in any way. I have to either have a black bar up top or have a bit cut off on the other sides. Seems like a bit of an oversight...

Oh, and Wii VC games continue to be unable to be in 4:3 because the Wii U constantly upscales everything to 720p, which my TV can't scale. I have like $400+ of VC games that are stuck in the wrong aspect ratio.

Those two issues and the lack or ability to send out audio via the multi-out are issues Nintendo should really fix.

Try setting the console to display in 480p before entering Wii mode. My tv won't let me adjust to 4:3 with any resolution higher. It's a pain but it at least works until I can upgrade the games to the Wii U versions.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
could easily be something very simple as a loose wire between the console and the TV that caused a loss of image but when you get upset it is harder to trackdown those things so even now you really have not idea what went wrong you just kept doing until you got the result you wanted. It will happen again and you might end up with a bricked Wii U because you hammered at it too much for a simple thing.

my gamepad lost connection 6 times today and just right now I could not turn the console on with it and I am just two feet away in bed from it so this thing has lots of little issues that will frustrate you.

glad you got it working

Thanks. Everything was connected, nothing loose. The console wouldn't turn off with me holding the power button on the console itself, that's already indicative of a problem. I don't know what it was...

I wish I loved it. Tonight was the first night in over a month I have turned it on.

So gaf what are the can't miss games on Wii U?

go to the miiverse screenshot thread and see the images

Trine 2
Monster Hunter
NFSMWU
Lego City Undercover
are what I would put ahead of everything else

Download the Free Rayman App the Challenges to beat leaderboards is crazy addictive

If people say they cannot find something to play on Wii U right now they should just sell the thing. I have a backlog of 30 so I cannot help anyone who sees this box as a dust collector I play it everyday but can't finish them all yet

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
How's Trine 2? Did they add the Goblin Menace stuff or is it just the PC version with an extra level? I really love the Trine series, but it's hard to double dip when I've already beaten it on PC and it's going for $10.

hlhbk

go to the miiverse screenshot thread and see the images

Trine 2
Monster Hunter
NFSMWU
Lego City Undercover
are what I would put ahead of everything else

Download the Free Rayman App the Challenges to beat leaderboards is crazy addictive

If people say they cannot find something to play on Wii U right now they should just sell the thing. I have a backlog of 30 so I cannot help anyone who sees this box as a dust collector I play it everyday but can't finish them all yet

I will see you backlog of 30 and raise it by 300 on Steam. With so many quality titles in my backlog I am looking for anything as a must play on U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom