• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Patch 1.08 will be releasing today. (Discussion/Impression Thread?)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Folks, really happy to report that framerate has improved on PS4.

Now don't get me wrong, could it be improved further absolutely, but its getting there.

Stuttering is still there around, but overall framerate improved with a definite improvement to pop in. Not as bad as it was under 1.07.

Swamp area doesn't appear to be locked at 20fps, with some drops but not as frequent and not down to 15 fps or whatever for the amount of time it used to do.

Fighting in the swamps area was a much better experience, more fluid. Not perfect but better with little to no drop in visuals around said area.

Overall I'm going to get back in to this game now. I can play it at this level, and to be honest, I doubt they will persist in trying to eek anything else out performance wise, but one can live in hope :)

Get back to it :)

People said exactly this after the last patch. And the one before that. Etc. Not saying you're wrong, just that I won't easily believe stuff like this until DF or someone like that get their hands on it.

(And nah, I'm not gonna check for myself. Not playing any more of this game until it's in an acceptable state.)

mileS

Thanks for the PS4 impressions!

I haven't touched the game since 1.05. Finished the Bloody Baron quest around then. With this new patch I'm wondering if I should just restart honestly.

Justinh

Drowners will have a harder time killing Nidas during the "Black Pearl" quest
Glad for this, for me he'd always be dead by the time I reached the shore. 1 hit and he dies. The only save I have is when I'm part way through the quest but I already have 3 black pearls in my inventory and he won't accept them? I still have to go diving.

I don't remember having trouble with this on the pc, but it was kicking my ass on Xbox One. Unfortunate they haven't fixed Skellige's Most Wanted. That one I do remember trying all different dialogue options and reloading over and over but could never get him to quit shouting.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I haven't touched the game since 1.05. Finished the Bloody Baron quest around then. With this new patch I'm wondering if I should just restart honestly.

I'm at about the same point in the story and haven't played since even longer ago, and I'm thinking of doing the same once the game seems reasonably fixed up.

valkyre

Folks, really happy to report that framerate has improved on PS4.

Now don't get me wrong, could it be improved further absolutely, but its getting there.

Stuttering is still there around, but overall framerate improved with a definite improvement to pop in. Not as bad as it was under 1.07.

Swamp area doesn't appear to be locked at 20fps, with some drops but not as frequent and not down to 15 fps or whatever for the amount of time it used to do.

Fighting in the swamps area was a much better experience, more fluid. Not perfect but better with little to no drop in visuals around said area.

Overall I'm going to get back in to this game now. I can play it at this level, and to be honest, I doubt they will persist in trying to eek anything else out performance wise, but one can live in hope :)

Get back to it :)

Thanks a lot for the impressions but from what you said at the end "little to no drop in visuals" do you think that there might have been some short of gfx tweaking? (Wont say the word downgrade)

Kadayi

Banned
Drowners will have a harder time killing Nidas during the "Black Pearl" quest.

Finally!!!

GIF-Dancing-dance-happy-happy-dance-GIF.gif

Punkroses

Are the Achievements (excluding collecting all gwent cards) retroactive?
Managed to did a few of it but I'm won't be home for another 2 weeks to check if it's unlocked..

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Thanks a lot for the impressions but from what you said at the end "little to no drop in visuals" do you think that there might have been some short of gfx tweaking? (Wont say the word downgrade)

Not from what I can tell. Looks as before but framerate not as choppy for the period of time I used to get whilst there in previous patches.

Like I said, not perfect, but a definite improvement.

Patch has introduced some flickering shadows for me. once in a while. not all the time, around velen. Overall framerate has improved, more consistent around Novagrad and velen, the bogs etc.

Took about 5 minutes for 'Preparing to Download' on my PS4. Then when that reached 100% and changed to the Update File the patch had already 4.7gb downloaded.

Wut.

Never seen that before.

nemisis0

Took about 5 minutes for 'Preparing to Download' on my PS4. Then when that reached 100% and changed to the Update File the patch had already 4.7gb downloaded.

Wut.

Never seen that before.

It was only downloading a portion as the download was only 3 GB, it was overwriting over the already big 1.07 patch.

After playing around a bit I dont see any performance difference on PS4.

Still a slideshow in the bog at all times and some areas in the city so it seems the 20fps lock is still in effect.

Would wait for DF to confirm but as far as I can tell its still as bad as ever. People talking about improvements must be super minor or a typical post patch placebo effect.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
OK, I meditated a few time around the bogs for the bad weather. Unfortunately this still has a negative affect at this area. A definite drop in the 20s and hovering around there.

I can really see an improvement at night and during the day, but when rain kicks in fps drops a good 5 to 10 fps and doesn't appear to be locked to 20fps, fluctuates between 20 - 25 fps in my eyes. Playable but bothersome. From what I've seen though, you spend so little time here that it would be crazy to dismiss this game now. Overall there really is an improvement globally.

I left this game since 1.07, I could easily play at this level of performance.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
After playing around a bit I dont see any performance difference on PS4.

Still a slideshow in the bog and some areas in the city so it seems the 20fps lock is still in effect.

Would wait for DF to confirm but as far as I can tell its still as bad as ever. People talking about improvements must be super minor or a typical post patch placebo effect.

I'm sorry but I feel that you are wrong. I feel pop in has been reduced and overall performance has improved over 1.07. Lets wait for DF.

RedSwirl

All this talk about the swamps is making me scared. On PC my 760 is struggling to hold on to 30fps and I haven't been to the swamps or Novigrad yet. GeForce Experience wants me to drop the game down to 1600 x 900.

All this talk about the swamps is making me scared. On PC my 760 is struggling to hold on to 30fps and I haven't been to the swamps or Novigrad yet. GeForce Experience wants me to drop the game down to 1600 x 900.

Then drop it. Much better than a slideshow.

Cotrip

Managed to play a bit on the PS4 now.

Shadow and texture pop-in seems worse. Running around Novigrad I could see lots of shadows appearing around buildings/objects and there was a fisherman guy that his tattoos only appeared when I got very close to him - just to name some examples.

But the framerate seems a little better indeed, fought some monsters in the bog and it was tolerable. In Novigrad, things went better, even with raining weather. Much better than patch 1.06 (didn't play 1.07 very much). There's a lot of room for improvement though.

Mindman

Played a bit on PS4 and it's hard to say if framerate no longer caps down at 20. Went to the bog and it still drops a lot of course, but controls seem more responsive to me during those times (fights), which would indicate a higher framerate. Was using alternative movement before & after.

DapperSloth

While I cannot say for certain, I will state with a decent degree of confidence that my NPC pop-in, while far from perfect, does seem considerably improved. I ran through some key spots in Skellige that always seem to have issues, along with long stretches of Velen towns and through many streets of Novigrad mid day when they're at their busiest, and NPC pop-in was at worst limited to 2-3 NPCs in a large group, and at best completely eradicated. The former remaining issues were most prevalent at the Skellige locations. My run through Novigrad had not a single NPC pop in.

Take that with a massive grain of salt though, because I've thought it before and proven myself wrong after extended play.

Oh, and here's a shot because why the fuck not. Still one of the most insanely beautiful games ever.

15psdr.png

PC or Console?

Mindman

Yeah. If only to refresh the story and characters. You could clear white orchard in an hour or so if you so choose.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
How dare they fix bugs that they introduced in the 8 patches in a little over 2 months while not addressing shit that has been there since 1.0. Every single one of these threads there is a post like yours chastising people for calling out their insane amount of patches that invariably break something in the game. We are a few months from launch yet people act like they are doing us a favor by fixing the game with this continued support. Biggest eye roll ever. Free DLC wins hearts and minds apparently. Great game but very buggy, get some damn QA.

it's obvious the game had some QA considering the size of it . i mean aren't quest guetting patched in this very patch ..it's a shame that some stuff is still bugued but let's not act like they are sitting on their asses doing nothing.

Griss

Just beat Bloodborne, so planning to start on Witcher 3 this weekend. Threads like these make it sound like it's a good job I waited.

Hopefully everything runs smoothly after this one...

Traffcore

Yup, like 70 days ago. The key didn't drop, the bandits never came back. After the patch the bandits were still gone but the door was either unlocked or the patch placed the key in my inventory.

That is so incredible. Can't wait for the last Gwent cards!

Rodin

I did the quest right after the patch and had no problem with it, but then again it was my first time trying it and I'm not sure exactly what bug I'm looking for.

But for what its worth I noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

When you battle the
werewolf, after you reduce his health to 0 he becomes untouchable and you can't complete the quest.

They didn't fix Skellige Most wanted? Meh, it's the only one I'm missing. :/
Same :(

Disker

That is so incredible. Can't wait for the last Gwent cards!

Yup, like 70 days ago. The key didn't drop, the bandits never came back. After the patch the bandits were still gone but the door was either unlocked or the patch placed the key in my inventory.

Where does he appear? Can't seem to find him, there is a shop marker near there (over the protected bridge) but nobody is there and i waited for two days........... Hey says he will be near the protected bridge over the pontar so i guess it is the spot.

And when will they fix the Skellige Most Wanted quest. Geez................

Top Bottom