• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
wolf2sysreqsl1sys.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Run the game in a borderless window: Use the aptly-named Borderless Gaming program. See here for a usage guide.
Note: You can purchase the program on Steam for USD$4 or your regional equivalent if you're feeling charitable.
Fix enlarged image when using DSR: Switch to borderless window mode. (Credit to CrichtonKicks.)
Note: This will actually disable DSR as it works only in fullscreen mode. Running the game at a higher-than-native resolution requires the combined use of a higher-than-native desktop resolution and borderless window mode.
Fix BSOD upon changing resolution: Follow the instructions in this post. (Credit to Karl_Dilkington47 via dmr87.)
Fix blank main menu: Navigate to C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\MachineGames\Wolfenstein II The New Colossus\base and delete the two config files, then temporary disable Steam Cloud support (right-click -> Properties -> Updates -> Untick "Enable Steam Cloud ..."). (Credit to Howl, Notorious Subversive @ Steam Community via Soren01.)
Fix incorrect resolution when using a TV: Right-click on the game's executable, select Properties, switch to the Compatibility tab, tick "Override high DPI scaling behaviour" and select "Application" from the drop-down box. (Credit to GameAddict411.)
Fix G-Sync not functioning correctly (1): Terminate any cloned/additional displays (Credit to UncleDisco.)
Fix G-Sync not functioning correctly (2): Enable vsync and G-Sync via the Nvidia control panel, disable the in-game vsync option and set the display mode to fullscreen. (Credit to curlycare.)
Fix G-Sync not functioning correctly (3): Right-click on the game's executable, select Properties, switch to the Compatibility tab and tick "Disable fullscreen optimisations". (Credit to hob982.)
Fix G-Sync not functioning correctly (4): Follow these instructions. (Credit to Mullet2000.)
Toggle HUD: Open the console and input bind X g_showHUD 0 and bind Y g_showHUD 1, where X and Y are your desired off/on keys, respectively. (Credit to The Janitor.)
Note: Press alt-enter while the console is open to remove the stuck mouse cursor and again to switch back to fullscreen mode.
Skip intro videos: Set +com_skipBootSequence 1 as a launch argument. (Credit to someone @ PC Gaming Wiki via ghostwich.)
Change adaptive resolution framerate target: See this post. (Credit to Paragon.)
Mitigate instability (1): See this post. (Credit to Bethesda itself via dgrdsv.)
Mitigate instability (2): See "Fix blank main menu" above. (Credit to Mullet2000.)
Mitigate instability (3): Verify the game data to ensure none of it is corrupt or missing. (Credit to Dartastic.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Brightness: Self-explanatory
Video quality profile: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Uber; Mein leben!; Custom
Monitor: Self-explanatory
Aspect ratio: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Window mode: Windowed; Fullscreen; Borderless window
Vertical sync: Off; On; Adaptive
Motion blur: Off/On
Anti-aliasing: Disabled; FXAA; SMAA; TAA (1TX); FXAA (1TX); SMAA (1TX); TSSAA (8TX)
Colorblind mode: Off/On

Field of view: 70 -> 120 in increments of 1
Lights: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Shadows: Lights: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Uber
Particles: Lights: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Directional occlusion: Off; Low; Medium; High
Reflections: Off; Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Decals: Medium; High; Ultra
Motion blur: Medium; High; Ultra
Image streaming: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Uber
Water quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Volumetric quality: Medium/High
Material aniso filter: Trilinear; Anisotropic 2x; Anisotropic 4x; Anisotropic 8x; Anisotropic 16x

Decal filtering: Trilinear; Anisotropic 2x; Anisotropic 4x; Anisotropic 8x; Anisotropic 16x
Lightmap aniso filter: Trilinear; Anisotropic 2x; Anisotropic 4x
Image aniso filter: Trilinear; Anisotropic 2x; Anisotropic 4x; Anisotropic 8x; Anisotropic 16x
LOD switch: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Deferred rendering: Off/On
GPU culling: Off/On
Async compute: Off/On
Chromatic aberration: Off/On
Depth of field: Off/On
DoF anti-aliasing: Off/On
HDR bloom: Off/On
Sharpening: 0.0 -> 4.0 in increments of 0.1
Film grain: 0.0 -> 4.0 in increments of 0.1

Resolution scale: Off; Adaptive; Manual
Manual scaling: 0.50 -> 1.0 in increments of 0.01
Show performance metrics: Off/On

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To unlock the game early via VPN:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

VPN Gate is preferable, assuming there's a relevant server available and the bandwidth is decent.

Note: The German Edition is a separate app and cannot be unlocked early.

Edit: No longer necessary.

beeswax

Anyone else unable to use DSR resolutions? I'm just getting the top left corner of the image when trying 4k. Neither windowed mode helps and it still doesn't work even if I set my desktop to 4k DSR before launching.

Unreal

Anyone else unable to use DSR resolutions? I'm just getting the top left corner of the image when trying 4k. Neither windowed mode helps and it still doesn't work even if I set my desktop to 4k DSR before launching.

Works fine here

Pjsprojects

Odd min/rec specs.
R9-290 min but RX470 recommended. Both 4gb cards but 290 better in some ways.

Guess I will find out soon how it runs.

Iorv3th

I'm curious how this game will run with an i7 2600k and a 970.

I don't think i'll have problems with it but I don't want to buy it and have it suffer because of my CPU or something.

The first game was quite demanding I found, for some reason.

Funnily enough, it looked pretty much the same on medium as it did on very high. So it didn't matter in the end, I suppose.

MaximumJohnny

Neo Member
Anyone with a puny 8gb of RAM unlocked this yet? My PC is fine with most recent games that recommend 16gb, but want to be sure this will work for me.

Honestly I'd even settle for 30fps *shudder*

I'm on an i5 4670k
GTX 980 4GB
8GB RAM

Duxxy3

The first game was quite demanding I found, for some reason.

Funnily enough, it looked pretty much the same on medium as it did on very high. So it didn't matter in the end, I suppose.

Worked poorly on my 280x. Didn't work at all on my RX 470.

ID Tech 5 was such a shit engine.

nkarafo

I noticed there isn't a "game ready" Nvidia driver for this and the last one was released a couple of days ago. Does that mean they will release a beta soon or the current one is fine?

demon326

I noticed there isn't a "game ready" Nvidia driver for this and the last one was released a couple of days ago. Does that mean they will release a beta soon or the current one is fine?

I had to install the 388.00(latest one), older one gave me a BSOD from the nvidia driver when trying to apply the GFX settings in game...

As weird as it can sound, I won`t buy this until I can sort of confirm what kind of performance I can get from my rig:

i5-3570k @4.2
8gb ram
980ti (asus strix version)

at 1440p.

Taggen86

Looks awesome. Similar too doom, I will probably be able to play it in 4k/60 fps maxed out (or with a few settings turned down) on my overclocked 1080. Well done machinegames! Really proud of the devs since they are based in uppsala, the same swedish town I live in. Also nice to see a well optimized pc game from bethesda after the evil within 2 disaster. Cant wait for tomorrow!

Mohonky

Curious on this too.

970GTX OC
i7 4770k OC
16gb DDR3 ram

I run 21:9 1080p so I should be avke to run it, it just depends on how much I can push it.

TheRed

I can't get the game to use DSR either. FUllscreen was just acting wonky and I had to switch to borderless window. Also game crashed on me after opening level in cutscene.

I have GTX 1080, i54670k, W10 system

i7 4790K 4.4GHz
GTX 1080
16GB DDR3 2400
Installed on SSD

Locked 60fps at 1440p with everything maxed out, disabled film grain and chromatic abberation. Basically what you can expect from an id Tech 6 title, use DOOM as your comparison baseline will do.

I can't get the game to use DSR either. FUllscreen was just acting wonky and I had to switch to borderless window. Also game crashed on me after opening level in cutscene.

I have GTX 1080, i54670k, W10 system

Don't need to use DSR, game natively supports resolution scaling.

Worked poorly on my 280x. Didn't work at all on my RX 470.

ID Tech 5 was such a shit engine.

That is on AMD's OpenGL driver being completely shit. Back in the day my GTX 670 does 1080p60fps in both TNO and NB at high settings.

Gitaroo

Curious on this too.

970GTX OC
i7 4770k OC
16gb DDR3 ram

I run 21:9 1080p so I should be avke to run it, it just depends on how much I can push it.

970 can't hold 60fps at 1080p going by the benchmark on computerbase.de. Its really time to retire this old cow & volta need to hurry out. Huge performance gain for RPM, xbox one x vs ps4pro support will be very interestjng. 56% perform for fp16 vega card compare to something at the same power level on polaris architecture if I understand the google translation correctly.

970 can't hold 60fps at 1080p going by the benchmark on computerbase.de. Its really time to retire this old cow & volta need to hurry out. Huge performance gain for RPM, xbox one x vs ps4pro support will be very interestjng. 56% perform for fp16 vega card compare to something at the same power level on polaris architecture if I understand the google translation correctly.

We have no idea what the fp16 perf gain is

TheRed

i7 4790K 4.4GHz

Don't need to use DSR, game natively supports resolution scaling.

When I tried it it only let me go up to 1.0 resolution scale and to scale down from that. Full screen didn't work for my native 1080p either.
Also steam overlay wasn't working for me which is a bummer, I was really wanting to play it with my steam controller. The first game works just fine with it.

Holy shit at the monstrous difference between 970 and a 1060 on that benchmark. Almost 50% more power in the 1060

This is a fantastic PC version.

I'm getting about 75fps at max settings at 1440p

My PC specs are:

i7 6700HQ
MSI 1070 8gb
32gb ddr4
Installed on SSD

Vash63

I thought the One X didn't support the double packed fp16 that full Vega did?

d00d3n

Anyone else having issues downloading their cdkeys.com key? I got a confirmation email, but the link just gives an error message. I have had huge issues with trying to order games there recently and now this ... :(

Top Bottom