• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus PC performance thread

Taggen86

This is a warning for pc gamers who use 4k tvs. The game is broken and not playable on 4k tvs right now, do not buy it until a fix is released!

I am unable to output the game correctly in 2160p in fullscreen/borderless on my b6 oled and it seems others using 4k tvs have the same problem:
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/117913/4k-screen-scaling-issues/5

I either get large black lines/bars covered the whole screen in cutscenes/screen taring in gameplay, a black screen or a zoomed in picture when trying 4k. Have tried all possible combinations of settings (nvidia settings, new driver hot fix, in game settings, dpi settings), but have not solved the problem despite spending two hours trying different settings. Does anyone here experience the same issues?

Edit: neither the new driver nor the patch fixes these problems, however you can run any sub 4k resolution as long as it is not 2160p. 3824 x 2151 is the closest 16:9 resolution that works

Tried it and it just goes to a black screen for a few moments then reverts the settings back to 720p. It’s fucked. So nothing I can do at the moment. It’s getting refunded.

jrbailey

Neo Member
This is a warning for pc gamers who use 4k tvs. The game is broken and not playable on 4k tvs right now, do not buy it until a fix is released!

I am unable to output the game correctly in anything above 720p in fullscreen/borderless fc (my pref res is 4k) on my b6 oled and it seems others using 4k tvs have the same problem:
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/117913/4k-screen-scaling-issues/5

I either get large black lines/bars covered the whole screen in cutscenes/screen taring in gameplay, a black screen or a zoomed in picture when trying 4k. Have tried all possible combinations of settings (nvidia settings, new driver hot fix, in game settings, dpi settings), but have not solved the problem despite spending two hours trying different settings. Does anyone here experience the same issues?

I had the same issue as my windows display scaling was set to 300%. Setting it back to 100% made my icons tiny but I was able to play the game properly at a native 4k

Taggen86

When I set it to 300% I get the zoom in problem which makes it impossible to activate 2160p, when I set it 100% (or deactivate DPI scaling) I am able to get 2160p, however I get black bars covering the screen (and awful screen tearing). I have these issues both in fullscreen and borderless (but not in window mode). What screen are u using, which nvidia driver, in game settings and nvidia settings? maybe you are gaming on a pc display? (the problem may be specific to 4k tvs)

I had the same issue as my windows display scaling was set to 300%. Setting it back to 100% made my icons tiny but I was able to play the game properly at a native 4k

Anoxida

Ok. I thought s omething was very wrong. Got a 1440p monitor with gsync yet massive screen tear and only 60hz and felt sluggish as hell. Rebooted and now it's amazing.

Ganondolf

does anyone know if I can get 1080p @ 60fps with everything maxed with my pc:

i5 6600k (stock clocks)
16GB DDR4
GTX 1070
Sandisk Ultra 2

I hear that my cpu may be a issue (i7 needed?)

EDIT: I usually use v-sync with a triple buffer

Justinh

Thanks for the thread JaseC.

Glad to see this game doesn't max out at 60, but I guess I shouldn't have expected that since id/Bethesda have moved to new engines.

Lylo

Why did you ask me about this game? Its performance is similar to the one I had with Doom?

It's a very relevant question because this game uses the same engine as Doom (id Tech 6), so a similar performance to the Vulkan build of Doom is expected.

Twinsen343

dam this game is a work of art.... wow was not expecting this...
how do you enable the super sampled mfaa dsa? I enabled it in nvidia and have the latest hotfix but wont go above 1080p...

does anyone know if I can get 1080p @ 60fps with everything maxed with my pc:

i5 6600k (stock clocks)
16GB DDR4
GTX 1070
Sandisk Ultra 2

I hear that my cpu may be a issue (i7 needed?)

EDIT: I usually use v-sync with a triple buffer

I have an i5 6600k and get 100 fps at 3440x1440 and I dont remember the cpu being at full load either

Soren01

Valtýr;252892960 said:
is there anywhere else this save data can be? I don't have a folder for Machine Games in that location...
It's a little tricky to find the folder. It has a different icon.

You can also search for "Machine Games" folder through Windows.

jrbailey

Neo Member
When I set it to 300% I get the zoom in problem which makes it impossible to activate 2160p, when I set it 100% (or deactivate DPI scaling) I am able to get 2160p, however I get black bars covering the screen (and awful screen tearing). I have these issues both in fullscreen and borderless (but not in window mode). What screen are u using, which nvidia driver, in game settings and nvidia settings? maybe you are gaming on a pc display? (the problem may be specific to 4k tvs)

No gaming on a 65" Hisense TV. 1080ti latest 388 Nvidia Driver. All settings set to Uber and Vsync set to adaptive in game.

I'm at work now and cant recall if I was running in Fullscreen or Windowed Borderless. I believe it was windowed borderless but will check later. No issues with black bars or screen tearing this end.

PSA if you are running a GTX970: you really want to lower texture settings to medium (yes it sucks I know) and disable image streaming for a smooth experience as it is a extremely VRAM starved game, anything above high texture settings will go above 3.5GB VRAM threshold for the card.

You can toggle the entire HUD with the "g_showhud" console command. Binding works too, but I haven't found a way to only use one key so I use two, for example:

bind capslock g_showhud 0
bind tab g_showhud 1

Also the game hard crashes my PC when I try to change display settings so I'm waiting for a fix on that...

wazoo

PSA if you are running a GTX970: you really want to lower texture settings to medium (yes it sucks I know) and disable image streaming for a smooth experience as it is a extremely VRAM starved game, anything above high texture settings will go above 3.5GB VRAM threshold for the card.

Thanks for the info.

It only sucks if medium settings give bad textures. If High textures give you very high res textures only good for 4K, then playing at 1080p (as a 970 should allow you) only need some medium quality for textures.

Froz3n

Ok. I thought s omething was very wrong. Got a 1440p monitor with gsync yet massive screen tear and only 60hz and felt sluggish as hell. Rebooted and now it's amazing.

Same happened to me initially, don't know why. Mouse cursor from windows also wouldn't go away.

Game runs great but Gsync or something isn't working. This game has crazy tearing when Vsync is off. Turning Vsync on or to adapative forces you to play at 60. Very disappointing. It looks amazing and runs great. Yes. I'm on latest drivers.

Game runs great but Gsync or something isn't working. This game has crazy tearing when Vsync is off. Turning Vsync on or to adapative forces you to play at 60. Very disappointing. It looks amazing and runs great. Yes. I'm on latest drivers.

Turn vsync on in the global settings in the Nvidia control panel and turn it off in the game. I had it set this way, but something changed and I had to reset it when I noticed the same issue.

ss_lemonade

It's a very relevant question because this game uses the same engine as Doom (id Tech 6), so a similar performance to the Vulkan build of Doom is expected.
Only the vulkan version? Doom in vulkan ran terrible on my 1080ti. Framerate counter would consistently stay at 60 fps or 144fps (whatever my max refresh rate is), but the game would stutter every split second. OpenGL was perfect though

Are the textures supposed to look so low res? I have image streaming set to über but face textures for example are last-gen quality, New Order had better faces than that.

nullref

Fixed it by turning off async compute :)

This seems to have done it for me (6700k, GTX 1080). I was getting blue-screens whenever I'd try to change from my native resolution to a DSR resolution, and sometimes when I'd change my vsync setting. (This was on the 387.92 driver originally, then I tried the 388.10 hotfix driver.)

Turning off async compute seems to have fixed this, in a brief test.

KingV

Finally starting to get to a point where I feel like my 970 is struggling, but still not ready to upgrade at current prices.

I think I am waiting for Volta at this point.

A tip if you want supersampling but don't have the GPU power for 4K, set DSR to 4K then lower the resolution scaling slider. Increase sharpening to counter blurryness.
Also to get a higher refresh rate when using DSR you might have to set your desktop res to 4K, then force highest refresh in control panel.

(The resolution scaling slider only goes down so this is a way to get around that)

Unreal

How do you disable image streaming ?

Gitaroo

Is image streaming just the texture cache setting like idtech 5 that improve texture pop in? If thats the case its ok to even set it to low because from my previous experience the is virtually no difference in texture detail in the first two Wolfenstein and pc always load texture in fast enough.

anyone on an older pc? still on a 780 and this game absolutely crushes it even with everyone on low, no aa, at 1080p.

frames regularly in the 30s, and i dont think its the games fault, just wondering if somethings wrong for me or if its normal

first game to really do this, told myself id hold up on an upgrade until this happened...maybe time for early christmas.

Ravelle

My game seems to be crashing/freezing after a minute or two, memory usage reaching 2GB's.

I turned off A-sync and rebooted my system but no luck so far.

Updated my drivers to be sure but didn't seem to work.

Running a Intel Core i5 6600K, 16 GB RAM and a 1080.

anyone on an older pc? still on a 780 and this game absolutely crushes it even with everyone on low, no aa, at 1080p.

frames regularly in the 30s, and i dont think its the games fault, just wondering if somethings wrong for me or if its normal

first game to really do this, told myself id hold up on an upgrade until this happened...maybe time for early christmas.

It's time. Sorry, man! It happens.

hivsteak

told myself id hold up on an upgrade until this happened...maybe time for early christmas.

Wait until black friday. You're so close. Couple years back I went to pick up a ROG motherboard and 4970K the week of black friday. Both were already discounted, but when bundled together they were even cheaper. Saved close to $300 IIRC.

dr_rus

Is image streaming just the texture cache setting like idtech 5 that improve texture pop in? If thats the case its ok to even set it to low because from my previous experience the is virtually no difference in texture detail in the first two Wolfenstein and pc always load texture in fast enough.

It seems so, with it set to highest levels the game manages to fill up even 12GB of the Titan.

Gitaroo

It seems so, with it set to highest levels the game manages to fill up even 12GB of the Titan.

Can you take a screen show of random object between highest and medium setting? If it works like idtech 5 then they will look identical. Higher texture cache only helps with texture stream from mega texture while filling up the vram.

DarkStream

Just started the game. Intense intro.
The tearing is HORRENDOUS! I'm on a G-Sync monitor and the ingame settings don't help at all.

Any fix?

laxu

If you want to skip the screens before the menu, delete or rename the only file in the base\bink\boot folder. Nice instant main menu.

EDIT: Ah, this was in first post already.

Xyber

Just started the game. Intense intro.
The tearing is HORRENDOUS! I'm on a G-Sync monitor and the ingame settings don't help at all.

Any fix?

Apologies for my previous post.
I was dumb enough not to accept the changes when enabling V-Sync. All good now.

Does not compute. Vsync should be disabled when using G-sync and then cap your framerate to just below your maximum refresh rate with RTSS for the best experience.

Did Nvidia ever get around to adding fullscreen g-sync support for Vulkan? That might be the problem with your tearing.

Top Bottom