• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s E3 to Focus on Hardcore Gamers, Some News Coming in May and More

OK, I will say that it will be almost a necessity to own all consoles by the end of 2015. So much is being green lit, from a hungry MS to a Sony that is desperate to stay ahead and from a Nintendo who is still trying to work out how to move its brilliant IPs into mainstream.

Devs and publishers have worked out that genre fatigue is real and is expensive to ignore

I have heard this exact line a few times recently now.

I wonder how seeing Nintendo struggle has effected other publishers and how they will try to avoid a similar Nintendo situation of having all your golden geese fail at once with no new geese left to pick up the slack.

Sony and MS probably saw those spinoff Gears of War and God of War games bomb and scared them a little and have them look at brand power a little differently.

He can come back whenever he wants to. He was only banned for 72 hours.

I can't imagine most people will take him seriously anymore after the last round of stuff anyway.

I'll enjoy not being spoiled before the E3 conferences. It's going to be very exciting. :)

Microsoft really had a lot of 3rd party exclusives for the 1st years of XboxOne.(Ryse, DeadRising, Titanfall(a bit exclsuives), Plants Vs. Zombies: GardenWarfare(timed) and Sunset Overdrive is yet to come.)

I wonder if they will have that many 3rd party exclusives for next year.

This is great news for Xbox One owners like me. I'm sure Microsoft will deliver in games.

Can't wait to see Killer Instinct season 2, more of Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive.
I also hope they show Forza Horizon 2 or even better PGR5 and a couple of surprises which they will have for sure. And can you please fix the lag in the UI Microsoft ?

Overall, can't wait for this year's E3 for both Sony and Microsoft !

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
OK. It's Dragon's Dogma 2. Wild guess here.

No way, if anything I could see DD going PS-only.

Lost Planet is the only Capcom franchise (besides something like Dino Crisis) that I could see going Xbox-only. The original has something of a 'special significance' for the Xbox 360, a bit like Dead Rising.

Microsoft really had a lot of 3rd party exclusives for the 1st years of XboxOne.(Ryse, DeadRising, Titanfall(a bit exclsuives), Plants Vs. Zombies: GardenWarfare(timed) and Sunset Overdrive is yet to come.)

I wonder if they will have that many 3rd party exclusives for next year.
I think they well.
Those partnerships seem to be fairly beneficial for both parties if the third party studio is having troubles finding funding. (TitanFall and maybe Dead Rising?)
Or if the third party wants to work with a first party IP. (Killer Instinct)

That's nonsense...Mattrick was the driving force behind Xbox turning into a multi media set top box, it was his vision he sold to the MS board, that's why he got the job, no doubt ptiching how MS will double,treble revenues..etc,etc.

The people who sit on the board, for the most part, wouldn't have had a clue about the console games business, and would have been guided by those running the Xbox division.

This miserable gimped excuse for a console is Mattricks fault..end of story.

Not true whatsoever. This has been a goal for MS since the inception of the Xbox division, to enter the living room. And that was Ballmer´s decision. He wanted to integrate MS into the living room to challenge Google and Apple. Mattrick got his orders and he had to follow company line.

todd360

We hardcore gamers don't know what we want. Its cool though. Microsoft knows what we yearn for!
Its gonna be tv and sports isn't it?

Proponent

Banned
why I am seeing so many people asking for only old games with good visuals? Don't you guys want devs working on something new rather than wasting time on something that has already been done.

The graphics ceiling visually was fine for a lot of people last gen.

People would just like to see those graphics in full 1080p and a locked 60 frames pet second. People would like to experience the games they love in the best possible way.

Sometimes you'd like both.

Rookwood

Banned
We hardcore gamers don't know what we want. Its cool though. Microsoft knows what we yearn for!
Its gonna be tv and sports isn't it?

Embarrassing post is embarrassing.

Last E3 was all games for MS. The reveal discussed TV and sports - as people have been reminded of numerous times.

Focusing on hardcore gaming yet not giving Rare a shit. I am not a believer.
Rare just had some big game jam recently. Maybe they now know what they are working on. Phil said a month or so ago he doesn't know what Rare is doing next and after KSR they will set plans in motion.

Rare just had some big game jam recently. Maybe they now know what they are working on. Phil said a month or so ago he doesn't know what Rare is doing next and after KSR they will set plans in motion.

They were already working on new projects before KSR shipped, a preview with one of the news outlets went on a tour and were told they couldnt go into some of the other barns that make up their office as they were working on stuff iirc

Thats not to say any of it will actually ship though...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

C'mon, we know exactly what Rare is working on next: Kinect Sports Rivals 2.

Fraxin

What does a game system need to do to become successful?

I'd think for the gamer it needs to have great games. The Gamecube certainly did.

For the company it needs to be profitable. Nintendo was certainly profitable during that time.

Just because one system sells in excess of 150 million doesn't mean that systems which sell less are automatically unsuccessful.

Sorry my bad that I didn't make it clear. What I meant was that it was not as successful as N64 ( look at it in anyway, either units sold or market share). Not expecting the Wii scenario to repeat itself, however I'm just saying that maybe Mario isn't a huge system seller as it used to be.

•Spencer doesn’t think Microsoft will introduce a dedicated handheld gaming device. Instead they’ll work on Windows Phone and tablets, maybe with controller support some day.]
Who asked this question? I don't even know why that was even up for speculation in the first place. I'm pretty sure they see the state of the handheld industry.

Abdiel

that would actually be a great counter to sony Beast souls exclusive

Making DD Xbox exclusive would only serve to piss off the existing fanbase. It's the opposite from demon souls, which started out as an exclusive. Most of its fanbase being on Sony systems wouldn't instantly convert them.

Chettlar

Banned
I want a Animal Cross X Viva Pinata style game. Use the Pinata style but make it bit more like Animal Crossing in terms of house building etc. Same tools as the gardening for Viva as well.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this idea?

I mean, I don't doubt that you could do a lot of things with this, but I'd really like to see a new Viva Pinata really take the formula for the last two and perfect it, while adding tons of new content, etc.

Then after they've done that, sure. Do an Animal Crossing style game.

Linkified

Am I the only one who doesn't like this idea?

I mean, I don't doubt that you could do a lot of things with this, but I'd really like to see a new Viva Pinata really take the formula for the last two and perfect it, while adding tons of new content, etc.

Then after they've done that, sure. Do an Animal Crossing style game.

I don't like that idea at all regarding VP franchise. Whilst Trouble In Paradise was a better game the Sour concept needs a lot of work if they want to do another sequel. But I think they have the right genre for the games to work "Strategy"- Party Animals was terrible.

EvB

Not the aesthetics tho, looks very 90's. Also Blinx's stupid outfit didn't endear me too him.

Steampunk is in, he can be rejigged to fit that criteria.

He has the goggles already, give him a Victorian street urchin cap, some braces and set it in a filthy alt history London.

Blinx the chimney sweeper if you will.

The London smog lends itself to graphics performance so that will mean they can hit 1080p. Instead of 16:9, render the game in monochrome 4:3 and style it to look like steamboat willy and before you know it we have a AAA franchise on our hands.

Miles X

He has the goggles already, give him a Victorian street urchin cap, some braces and set it in a filthy alt history London.

The London smog lends itself to graphics performance so that will mean they can hit 1080p. Instead of 16:9, render the game in monochrome 4:3 and style it to look like steamboat willy and before you know it we have a AAA franchise on our hands.

Sold!

Maybe ....

Chettlar

Banned
I don't like that idea at all regarding VP franchise. Whilst Trouble In Paradise was a better game the Sour concept needs a lot of work if they want to do another sequel. But I think they have the right genre for the games to work "Strategy"- Party Animals was terrible.

That's what I mean. Keep the formula they've always had (a single garden sandbox, no character, etc.), but fix things. The sour concept is great. The ruffian part...not so much. They need to work on that and some other things to perfect it before moving on to other, more ambitious ideas (or cliche, depending on how you view a move to be more like Animal Crossing).

Yuck Steampunk is kind of a lame style.

daman824

I really hope phil was serious when he tweeted that they felt there were missed opportunities with ip's they owned. Banjo was definitely up there with mario in his glory days (quality wise). And it's incredibly dissapointing that he's pretty much obsolete now.

Seriously, with the right budget, banjo has the potential to be one of microsofts most successful franchises.

How would you guys feel about the E3 showfloor demos being playable online while E3 is going on?

Absolutely not. You notice how a small gif highlighting the worst section of a game in a trailer lights the internet on fire? Imagine that x10.

More importantly developers have to create that vertical slice which slows down development time. If they allow players into that slice they have to spend even more time away from developing the game.

Salex_

[Edit] Oh yeah, GopherD is that jackass who was hyping TGS and Sony's launch event, and in both cases we got nothing? Yeah, ignore him, he knows less than famousmortimer.

I probably shouldn't respond to this dumbass post, but they did announce a lot of things at TGS. Guilty Gear Xrd, the new game in the top tier fighting game series was confirmed for PS4, Lily Bergamo (new 3d character action game), new Gundam, a lot of gameplay footage of Deep Down and other JP games were announced there.

If you don't care about Japanese games, then you should keep quiet.

Top Bottom