• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s E3 to Focus on Hardcore Gamers, Some News Coming in May and More

Bundy

Banned
Great post after it's been proven that microsoft saved Titanfall, and sony passed on it.
Whatever. Then change it with "Bioshock" or "Mass Effect" (beginning of the X360 era).
You know what I mean. I'm not here to talk about the Titanfall deal/contract.
These "let's pay publishers to dismiss certain platforms" deals are crap. Spend the money for new IP's / own games, etc.

derFeef

Whatever. Then change it with "Bioshock" or "Mass Effect" (beginning of the X360 era).
You know what I mean. I'm not here to talk about Titanfall.

Not here to talk about Titanfall after bringing up Titanfall in an argument?
Nice.

Im more afraid that Sony will fck up after a great year. How can the top next year, I think a lot of us will be dissapointed in Sony's conference cause last years was amazing.

Sony's conference last year wasn't all that great aside from #noDRM and $399.

If Bloodborne, Project Beast, Entwined, Kill Strain and Guns Up! show up at Sony's conference, that's already 4 more games than they announced at last year's E3. ( only Order )

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Man, I would really like to get my hopes up but MS has been telling us the same shit for years now. Ever since Peter Moore said goodbye it has been a downward spiral. Really hope that Phil Spencer can turn things around and make at least their shows more entertaining.

Never understood why not always the absolute hardcores are targeted in the PCs anyway as their probably the only ones watching anyway.

iceatcs

Now I have very very high expectation on MS E3. Hope they will make it all my expectation.

Lower expectation on other companies.

Bundy

Banned
Not here to talk about Titanfall after bringing up Titanfall in an argument?
Nice.
It was a bad example, as you could see, because of the "... MS saved it" correction from certain members. I was just looking for a quick example (which was a bad one).
But you know what I've tried to explain (I hope).

Im more afraid that Sony will fck up after a great year.

The odds are that Sony will be a let down this year simply because they don't have to do anything, they're leading by a country mile and making nice profits on the hardware and software.

No price cuts for sure, just a few bundles will be the most we can expect and more details on their VR stuff.

Software will do all the talking at E3 for Sony over the next 3-4yrs...E3's between new hardware announcements are boring TBH.

iMax

That's nonsense...Mattrick was the driving force behind Xbox turning into a multi media set top box, it was his vision he sold to the MS board, that's why he got the job, no doubt ptiching how MS will double,treble revenues..etc,etc.

The people who sit on the board, for the most part, wouldn't have had a clue about the console games business, and would have been guided by those running the Xbox division.

This miserable gimped excuse for a console is Mattricks fault..end of story.

I seem to recall a lot of the entertainment focus actually came from Ballmer.

Huggers

I hope by 'focus on hardcore gamers' they mean actually produce quality software and not pay to prevent it coming out on other consoles

gtj1092

Do people really believe things like desperate Nintendo is best Nintendo or last place Sony is best Sony? 99% of the games MS will show will have been in development or green lit before they knew a single sales figure. Only thing that will happen is we will get a bunch of cg trailers and teasers of early games. What they can change is price marketing and skus.

You know what I mean. I'm not here to talk about Titanfall.

MS moneyhatted Bioshock? Do you have a source for that?

And didn't MS publish Mass Effect due to having a strong relationship with Bioware at the time? (this was before they were bought out by EA)

Madness

Will MS be stronger than last year? I think so....They screwed up last year, I think MS will put a great conference togheter.

Im more afraid that Sony will fck up after a great year. How can the top next year, I think a lot of us will be dissapointed in Sony's conference cause last years was amazing.

Well if the rumors are true, MS will be announcing some of its biggest IP's this year. We'll see if the leaker was right about Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 5 beta (Seems likely he was). I think the larger HDD, white Xbox One and hardware plans might be shelved due to excess stock and lowered demand. Might see a permanent price reduction or new bundles.

As for Sony? They clearly have momentum. But they need some killer IP's. They need to end this unease over their in house studios etc. I think both will do great this year.

Will MS be stronger than last year? I think so....They screwed up last year, I think MS will put a great conference togheter.

Whatever Microsofd do this year it will SEEM like an improvement because alot of people are hazy about MS E3 last year and just remember all the bad stuff and because Sony stirred it up with the reconfirmation of no DRM and then the sucker punch of the price.

Games wise though MS did ok last least and if they have a strong showing this year with Sunset Overdrive, Halo, Quantum Break and some new IP and I could be swayed to buy one - although will probably wait for a hardware refresh (aka smaller).

I'm also worrying that Sony will make a hash of it and spend too much time covering stuff we already know about: Driveclub, Last of Us Ps4 port, Suspend & Resume, Playstation Now, The Order and Unchartered.

Dont get me wrong - looking forward to all of the above but I want to be surprised at E3 and see new IP.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
  • Spencer has strict orders not to talk about any 343 industries IP before E3.

The way this is worded either makes it sound like he's talking about Halo, or he's talking about something besides Halo, and I can't decide which.

Bundy

Banned

And didn't MS publish Mass Effect due to having a strong relationship with Bioware at the time? (this was before they were bought out by EA)
Source? Nope. If I remember that correctly, they had a 1-year exclusive deal for Bioshock (and Mass Effect?). After a year, the PS3 version appeared. Or was it 2 years? Meh.... can't remember it anymore -_-

koutoru

In terms of content, I think they had a pretty good E3 last year.
At least this year they don't exactly have the same issues that they failed to address last year.

Vico

The way this is worded either makes it sound like he's talking about Halo, or he's talking about something besides Halo, and I can't decide which.

There is no way 343's doing anything other than Halo. I do think it will happen in the future, but not yet.

ViciousDS

Banned
The odds are that Sony will be a let down this year simply because they don't have to do anything, they're leading by a country mile and making nice profits on the hardware and software.

No price cuts for sure, just a few bundles will be the most we can expect and more details on their VR stuff.

Software will do all the talking at E3 for Sony over the next 3-4yrs...E3's between new hardware announcements are boring TBH.

I look forward to ubisofts conference every year just because they have blown me away with concepts..........sure the game may never look like that in the final version but just the developer vision for the initial showings of the division and watch dogs was the most amazing things I have ever seen.

But I really do hope Sony's huge lead doesn't become the PS3 confidence era all over again.....those 2-3 E3's from roughly 2005-2007 were dreadful.

Microsoft this E3 has nothing to lose and everything to gain........it's going to be a huge showing of games from them.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

It seems to have become gospel recently, although I've never heard it before about six months ago. I was always of the understanding that the PS3 arrived too late in the day for Irrational to work on it. This is backed up by the fact that the port wasn't even handled by Irrational.

Freeman

Banned
I don't get why people believe that Phil Spencer played no part in what happened last year. If he has being the manager of Microsoft Studio for so long as I think he has being, even longer for the European developers, I think he was a big part of the problem and not only Mattrik.

Yup, The Final Hours of Mass Effect 3, talks about how BioWare had designed the game for the "Xbox 2," and MS was eager to publish Mass Effect after the success of Kotor (and they also published Jade Empire).

Source? Nope. If I remember that correctly, they had a 1-year exclusive deal for Bioshock (and Mass Effect?). After a year, the PS3 version appeared. Or was it 2 years? Meh.... can't remember it anymore -_-
I can't find a source, but I remember Bioshock being a combination of MS paying for it and the PS3 version not being ready. And you do realize MS published Mass Effect, right?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't get why people believe that Phil Spencer played no part in what happened last year. If he has being the manager of Microsoft Studio for so long as I think he has being, even longer for the European developers, I think he was a big part of the problem and not only Mattrik.

I don't disagree, but I also don't think that keeping (some of) the same people around is necessarily bad as long as they recognise what they did wrong and know how to fix it.

TheOddOne

- Bioshock was a marketing deal. Notice that it was published by 2k Games (which owns the brand).
- Mass Effect was a first party published game that was funded by Microsoft. It was very much like the Gears deal. Bioware got bought out by EA and thereby bought the ME IP with it.
- Titanfall was almost cancelled, EA partners stopped funding the project and Microsoft stepped in and funded the rest.
- Bizarre was never first party, they worked on the first party owned PGR IP. They got bought up by Activision and they closed them down.

Still boggles my mind that people that somehow are experts at the subjects can't even get the facts straight.

It seems to have become gospel recently, although I've never heard it before about six months ago. I was always of the understanding that the PS3 arrived too late in the day for Irrational to work on it. This is backed up by the fact that the port wasn't even handled by Irrational.

Yup, it was ported by 2K Marin. It's very strange that it's seemingly become gospel or accepted as fact without anything to back it up.

Yup, The Final Hours of Mass Effect 3, talks about how BioWare had designed the game for the "Xbox 2," and MS was eager to publish Mass Effect after the success of Kotor (and they also published Jade Empire).

I was trying to remember where I'd read this, so thanks for reminding me.

Spaghetti

a very stark change of course from last year because, surprise surprise, gamers are the ones that fucking buy games consoles

- Bioshock was a marketing deal. Notice that it was published by 2k Games (which owns the brand).
- Mass Effect was a first party published game that was funded by Microsoft. It was very much like the Gears deal. Bioware got bought out by EA and there by bought the ME IP with it.
- Titanfall was almost cancelled, EA partners stopped funding the project and Microsoft stepped in and funded the rest.
- Bizarre was never first party, they worked on the first party owned PGR IP . They got bought up by Activision and they closed them down.

Still boggles my mind that people that somehow are experts at the subjects can't even get the facts straight.
Fanboy sweat smell messes with people heads

Caayn

- Mass Effect was a first party published game that was funded by Microsoft. It was very much like the Gears deal. Bioware got bought out by EA and thereby bought the ME IP with it.
- Bizarre was never first party, they worked on the first party owned PGR IP. They got bought up by Activision and they closed them down.

Good to see that not everyone has forgotten how some things went.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Much of that is entirely predictable. Did anyone ever expect a Xbox handheld console?

Man I'd get so fucking hyped if MS did bring out an Xbox handheld. If they did it would no doubt just be a better version of the Vita, and that would be all kinds of awesome. I just want someone to attempt what Sony's portables have attempted. It looks like there won't be a Vita successor and we're going to be stuck purely with Nintendo's regressive hardware once Vita dies(which to be fair isn't going to be for a very long time, but it will happen eventually). I'd love it if MS picked up the slack in the handheld space. They're not Sony, but at least they aren't Nintendo. I'd buy an Xbox handheld day 1.

a very stark change of course from last year because, surprise surprise, gamers are the ones that fucking buy games consoles
I don't get this. Since last E3 MS just talk games and release a pretty nice lineup of quality games and yet people are under the impression that they don't like gamers. They have done a pretty good job so far. IMO better than their competitor.

Dr-Dre-you-got-owned-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-251.gif

"Truthfacts", brought to you by TheOddOne

Yo dawgz, Microsoft® has the hardcore games you're looking for!

I'm sure they are working their asses off to minimize the increasing sales gap, but the answer is simple- drop price, drop kinect, and make paying for xbl a good value instead of a begrudging obligation.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't think this year is going to be wall to wall games like last year. They could do that last year because they'd got all the non-game bits out of the way at the reveal. Surely this year they're going to have to talk about TV shows and any new features?

All 3 companies had a freaking awesome 2013, imo.

Sony had a stellar PS3 line-up, a decent PS4 launch line-up and a good Vita line-up. Conference-wise, in between PS Meeting, E3, Gamescom and TGS, Sony had a good show at each event, with multiple announcements at each show. (E3 itself wasn't all that good content-wise, but noDRM and $399 was a showstopper never to be repeated again)

MS had a poor 360 line-up and a great XB1 launch. Conference-wise, E3 was freaking great, but they pretty much had a weak show at Gamescom and TGS subsequently.

Nintendo had a lacklustre WiiU line-up, but the 3DS was beastmode. Conference-wise, they've got nice games announced for 2014, but they lack the excitement and hype of other competitors because while great games, it's what is expected.

I don't think this year is going to be wall to wall games like last year. They could do that last year because they'd got all the non-game bits out of the way at the reveal. Surely this year they're going to have to talk about TV shows and any new features?

Put that garbage in a press release for CNN and NBC.

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/you%20got%20owned/grand/Dr-Dre-you-got-owned-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-251.gif[IMG]

"Truthfacts", brought to you by TheOddOne[/QUOTE]

Never forget...

[url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518712[/url]

TheOddOne (and Shaneus) broke my heart, crushed my soul and trampled over my dreams, but not before manically laughing and pissing on the last few burning embers of hope (that he helped stoked) I had that PGR5 might one day become a reality.

That's nonsense...Mattrick was the driving force behind Xbox turning into a multi media set top box, it was his vision he sold to the MS board, that's why he got the job, no doubt ptiching how MS will double,treble revenues..etc,etc.

Actually, that's nonsense and a common misconception. I recently finished reading Takahashi's book about the genesis of the Xbox project (first released way back in 2002), and it makes it very clear that all those things were in the cards from the very beginning. Blackley, Bachus, Hase, Berkes and others set out to create a gamers' machine, but once the project collided with business realities of such a venture, Xbox became just a first step toward the eventual broadening of the platform. Mattrick executed on the plan, and he did it rather successfully (although he made some mistakes that would later come to haunt Xbox), but it wasn't something that he came up with on his own.

Mass Effect was not a moneyhat either, it was a game funded and published by Microsoft, but then EA bought BioWare.

That was likely the case with many of the allegedly moneyhatted games that first (or exclusively) released on Xbox 360 over the first few years of the last generation, but there's no way to prove it (or the opposite claim that those games were all moneyhatted), so the myth will live on. The truth is probably somewhere in between - there have probably been some moneyhats, but not nearly as many as people routinely attribute to Microsoft.

They do lots of work with developers they don't own (see Epic Games for Gears, Insomniac, Crytek, Remedy, Playground, Undead Labs), theres plenty of games they can get.

Only that was Xbox last generation's relationship. Leading platform, ease of development, strong online support Xbox. Siding with Microsoft was a no brainer. But not this generation Xbox.

All of those relationships and deals were drawn up before Microsoft fluffed their launch, fell far behind their competition and the hardware discrepancy between them was really known.

The Xbox One can only ride the goodwill the Xbox 360 generated for so long. When it comes to designing a brand new next-gen only game from this point onwards, Microsoft's wishes of exclusivity have everything stacked against them.

Said it before and will say it again, third-party exclusives will die out this generation. The main exclusives will be first party only.

Porting is easy and games are getting more expensive. Why limit your options?

Top Bottom