• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Bringing it Home - TGS and X06 Style

arne

GhaleonEB said:
Are they direct-feed on the Internet, anywhere?

touche.

so much for the argument I was going to make.

edit: thanks pipboy.

and beyond that, couldn't one argue that they are where it matters? at TGS, with playables? where you'll get people who may not have ever considered the console or fence sitters?

now, word of mouth beyond that, I understand.

duckroll

arne said:
are you saying this only because it's not on marketplace?

Yeah, considering we're in the BRINGING IT HOME thread, you should expect anger from people because stuff aren't on marketplace! :lol

IJoel

PipBoy said:
yeah, Microsoft is missing the chance to sell a second X360 to those who have access to the marketplace.

You're right. People live inside isolating bubbles with no interaction whatsoever with others. What's that ridiculous concept called again? "Word of mouth?" Such nonsense!

:p

C4Lukins

PipBoy said:
yeah, Microsoft is missing the chance to sell a second X360 to those who have access to the marketplace.

It isn't even just the marketplace though, there isn't even a good place to view these games online. They really need to get these games out there for people to see in any way they possibly can.

arne

duckroll said:
Yeah, considering we're in the BRINGING IT HOME thread, you should expect anger from people because stuff aren't on marketplace! :lol

are you going to buy 1mil JP consoles? because if you are, let's work something out ;)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
arne said:
are you saying this only because it's not on marketplace?

Yeah, I don't get it. Again, press kits and direct feed HD footage hasn't really gone out yet. Both the 360 jtitles, and the PS3 jtitles have off screen shaky cam footage for the most part.

AGain, be patient. If TGS ends, and X06 comes and goes, and there's no awesome Marketplace content for these big titles, then get ready for a full assault, but until then let's not go overboard,

duckroll

SnakeXs said:
Yeah, I don't get it. Again, press kits and direct feed HD footage hasn't really gone out yet. Both the 360 jtitles, and the PS3 jtitles have off screen shaky cam footage for the most part.

AGain, be patient. If TGS ends, and X06 comes and goes, and there's no awesome Marketplace content for these big titles, then get ready for a full assault, but until then let's not go overboard,

So why aren't they building hype here: http://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/live/BringItHome/list.htm

Instead they present the most BORING list possible. Not the smartest move!

Bebpo

Banned
arne said:
and beyond that, couldn't one argue that they are where it matters? at TGS, with playables? where you'll get people who may not have ever considered the console or fence sitters?

now, word of mouth beyond that, I understand.

Your average consumer is not going to TGS nor will their friends be going to TGS, so I don't see it having a big effect. TGS is for the small % of hardcore gamers.

They need these trailers direct-feed ONLINE and playing at stores in the little kiosks EVERYWHERE. Not on little dinky SD tvs either. If I were MS I'd pony up the money and have big HDTV setups at all the major chains running 720 videos of the Mistwalker games/Trusty Bell/Dead Rising/Lost Planet/Gears of War...etc.

arne

Bebpo said:
Your average consumer is not going to TGS nor will their friends be going to TGS, so I don't see it having a big effect. TGS is for the small % of hardcore gamers.

well as I was sort of alluding to, that's where the word of mouth spreads... which leads me to your point #2

They need these trailers direct-feed ONLINE and playing at stores in the little kiosks EVERYWHERE. Not on little dinky SD tvs either. If I were MS I'd pony up the money and have big HDTV setups at all the major chains running 720 videos of the Mistwalker games/Trusty Bell/Dead Rising/Lost Planet/Gears of War...etc.

yep, these trailers (and demos) should be as accessible as possible. we'll see what happens.

RumFore

Banned
Kind of surprised also that MS seems to not showing off some of the best games that may actually inspire the Japanese to get a 360. All those great trailers should be up there and its unexcusable that there not unless they will be in the coming days.

SnakeXs

duckroll said:
So why aren't they building hype here: http://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/live/BringItHome/list.htm

Instead they present the most BORING list possible. Not the smartest move!

Well, nobody's ever said MS-Japan is the best run place around, now. :lol

Like I said, wait and see. If there's really so little organization that they miss the chance to upload BD and LO stuff during this event, then by golly let's go crazy. It's still early, though, and things usually end big, not vice versa.

duckroll

I dunno, maybe we're all wrong. Maybe Sensui knows what's best and the Japanese don't really care for games like Lost Planet, Gundam Operation Troy, Trusty Bell, Earth Defence Force 3, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. In reality all they really need to convince them the Xbox360 is the bestest is Tenchu and Fusion Frenzy. Just... maybe!

icecream

Public Health Threat
Oh of course :lol

In all seriousness, I expect stuff once TGS starts, and before TGS ends. It's not hard to do, and it gives extra exposure to those games, especially when they need all the attention they can get to create the huge impact MS is hoping they'll be.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
C4Lukins said:
It is a bit amazing how incompetent they are concerning anything Japan. Trusty Bell, Blue Dragon, LO, and a new DOAX2 trailer should have been on there as soon as the conference began, just how it was for us at E3. A LO and Blue Dragon demo would have been great as well, but I can understand that at least. Project Sylpheed is coming out pretty soon as well, and they should be pimping that out. I guess there is still time to get it together before the conference is over, but if they are waiting to X06 when Japan is no longer paying attention to get this stuff out there, that is a mistake.

marketplace is more for current 360 owners and in Japan, there aren't very many. It would be nice, sure, but it's more important to get the word out through positive word of mouth (press impressions and hands on) than anything else. If there's enough hype around 4-5 of 360's exclusive games in Japan, then that could cause quite a stir like its never had since the launch of the original Xbox. I personally think Microsoft has done a tremendous job of lining up quite a few potential system-sellers over there (and mostly exclusives to boot!):

Winning Eleven
DOA Xtreme 2
Infinite Undiscovery
Trusty Bell
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Viva Pinata
Forza 2
Circle of Doom
Project Sylpheed
Tenchu

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than what the Xbox had in its lifetime over there, anyway.

GhaleonEB

PipBoy said:
http://www.macobserver.com/news/99/august/990803/besthalomovie.html

most people where on 56k at this time, but every gamer heard about this game thanks to this non-direct feed video.
1) That was at a Mac-only conference
2) It was the next game by a HUGE (relatively) mac developer, Bungie
3) The 2006 console gaming space is way more cluttered than the Mac gaming scene from 1999. You need to communicate better to get original IP noticed.

sangreal

It isn't just for current owners, because the ability to get the content without having to attend the show is a feature that should be used to help sell the system. With no compelling content released on the marketplace it diminishes the value of having the ability in the first place

GhaleonEB

sangreal said:
It isn't just for current owners, because the ability to get the content without having to attend the show is a feature that should be used to help sell the system. With no compelling content released on the marketplace it diminishes the value of having the ability in the first place
And ya gotta promote to existing users. MS keeps talking up how successful demos have been as a marketing tool. In the TGS conference, they talked up how the demo impacted pre-orders for Dead Rising, for example. Word of mouth spreads from your current fans. Give them these videos on their system, and they can show others or spread that word of mouth more effectively.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Hmm...wasn't Microsoft still trying to get Japan interested in X360?
Oh right, this Bring it Home thing is supposed to help.

Or is it? So far it's been very disappointing.

Sure, the big megaton announcements will be at X06 rather than TGS, but you'd think they'd at least give the Japanese fans (who didn't make it to TGS) something, like trailers and demos of GAMES THAT MATTER. Not bleeping Tenchu and Fuzion Frenzy 2. Where they thinking of releasing those during X06 rather than TGS for the Japanese?

C4Lukins

open_mouth_ said:
marketplace is more for current 360 owners and in Japan, there aren't very many. It would be nice, sure, but it's more important to get the word out through positive word of mouth (press impressions and hands on) than anything else. If there's enough hype around 4-5 of 360's exclusive games in Japan, then that could cause quite a stir like its never had since the launch of the original Xbox. I personally think Microsoft has done a tremendous job of lining up quite a few potential system-sellers over there (and mostly exclusives to boot!):

Winning Eleven
DOA Xtreme 2
Infinite Undiscovery
Trusty Bell
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Viva Pinata
Forza 2
Circle of Doom
Project Sylpheed
Tenchu

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than what the Xbox had in its lifetime over there, anyway.

I agree, the lineup is stellar, and I find it a lot more compelling then the known Japanese games for the other systems. I'm only complaining about Microsofts problems marketing the 360 in Japan. If you compare the Japanese and American XBOX Live marketplace for example, it is easy to see which territory they are delivering in, and which one they seem completely clueless about. I really want to see these games continue to come to the states, so I'm really hoping MS can figuire out how to sell the system over there.

SnakeXs

ONE LAST ****ING TIME

date.gif

TGS STARTS TODAY!! Jesus Christ.

Bringing it Home is a 10 day event. It just began. Stop say it's underwhelming AS A WHOLE when it's not even 20% through. Damnit man.

sangreal

SnakeXs said:
ONE LAST ****ING TIME

date.gif

TGS STARTS TODAY!! Jesus Christ.

Bringing it Home is a 10 day event. It just began. Stop say it's underwhelming AS A WHOLE when it's not even 20% through. Damnit man.

Halfway through the pre-E3 conference we had every trailer shown during conference and more content every day for the rest of the show

Tieno

I'm just baffeled why they're waiting the BD and LO HD content once the pre-TGS conference is over, it just seems so easy to put it on there. I don't seen any reason as to why it would not be up there....They managed it with Halo 3 and Gears of War at last E3 (even a bit too fast). It was just so awesome reading the updates and not have to wait for off-screen footage.
In the end it's not that big of a deal for me, it's just a lot of fun to see a game in the best conditions possible, especially when they look this good.

SnakeXs

duckroll said:

I'm speaking of it as a whole, meaning including X06, which ends the whole BiH event on the 29ths, I believe.

Point is, there's time. I want everything now, too, but it isn't gonna happen. Again, if time passes, and the event ends, and we're without content for all the big titles, THEN freak out, people.

duckroll

SnakeXs said:
I'm speaking of it as a whole, meaning including X06, which ends the whole BiH event on the 29ths, I believe.

Point is, there's time. I want everything now, too, but it isn't gonna happen. Again, if time passes, and the event ends, and we're without content for all the big titles, THEN freak out, people.

No, I think you misunderstand. I don't want everything NOW. I just want to see SOME sign that MS is actually going to commit to this promise. So far the signs are that this is a total bust. I have solid examples of how badly they're handling it right here and now, do you have any solid example of how they're going to deliver?

For me, Bring it Home died when they showed a new DoAX2 trailer at the pre-TGS conference and decided to upload the E3 one to Live instead.

K_S

Banned
So what megatons might MS drop at X06?

New Rare game? New Bungie game? Blizzard game? Or will they focus on GoW, Zune and Vista? -_-;

C4Lukins

K_S said:
So what megatons might MS drop at X06?

New Rare game? New Bungie game? Blizzard game? Or will they focus on GoW, Zune and Vista? -_-;

I am not really expecting any megatons. Possibly a new Rare game, and some more Halo 3 footage, plus a bunch of new arcade announcements is all. The majority of MS's heavy hitters have not come out yet, so they can wait until E3 to start announcing a bunch of new games.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
TGS starts on the 2nd officially, right? I expect Microsoft to put some gameplay trailers for Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon up on marketplace for sure. They should put some video impressions from japanese gamers up on there too.

But yeah, Microsoft needs to hire the best marketing group Japan has to offer to try to sell the system and its games. They finally have some compelling japanese content to try to sell. Actually, I fully expect Microsoft to show a big time improvement in its marketing efforts over there since they've shown that they're "smart" enough to do the other things right.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
open_mouth_ said:

Winning Eleven
DOA Xtreme 2
Infinite Undiscovery
Trusty Bell
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Viva Pinata
Forza 2
Circle of Doom
Project Sylpheed
Tenchu

And none of these, not a damn one of these will help the 360 in Japan. Not a damn one.

Orodreth

There is available on japanese marketplace a summary of the Press Conference. It talks about some of the games but doesnt show any gameplay or trailer at all and even leaves titles like lost odissey without mention.

shpankey

not an idiot
Kintaro said:
And none of these, not a damn one of these will help the 360 in Japan. Not a damn one.
what? I see LO and BD on that list, the Japanese won't like those either? ::scratches head::

Frenck

Banned
Kintaro said:

But this time nobody can complain that MS didn't have enough japanese games.

That was never the reason why the Xbox brand is failure in Japan. A Microsoft console can never stand a chance in Japan against japanese companies like Sony and Nintendo.

I know it isn't political correct to say it but that's the only explanation. Xbox and Xbox 360 offer enough quality games in enough different genres so that everybody could have fun with it. MS has Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Chrome Hounds, Armored Core, Final Fantasy XI, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Ridge Racer and they have Sonic.

The lack of quality or big name japanese games was never the problem.

pr0cs

shpankey said:
what? I see LO and BD on that list, the Japanese won't like those either? ::scratches head::

He's probably right, there really isn't any software title that would increase Japanese perception of Microsoft's box.

aku:jiki

I was sort of expecting this to be underwhelmaton, but...this thread reminds me that I'm still wondering why the marketplace in general is so bloody useless. Not just now, during this theme week, but every other day of the year.

I mean, they have perhaps their biggest title of the year, Gears of War, coming out pretty soon. And there's only an extremely awful interview video with two dorks and quality straight out of an ASF file from 1996 available right now. Scratch that, I actually had ASF files that were better quality.

Is that supposed to be viral marketing, a good way to spread the word of mouth? Hint to Microsoft: it really isn't. Start making the marketplace the valuable source it could be, please.

They can't honestly believe that signing little scoop exclusivity contracts with like IGN to get a few dollars knocked off their next flash ad is a better way of promoting their games, can they?

Edit: While we're at it, why the hell is Live Sweden busted tonight? :(

Tieno

aku:jiki said:
They can't honestly believe that signing little scoop exclusivity contracts with like IGN to get a few dollars knocked off their next flash ad is a better way of promoting their games, can they?

Edit: While we're at it, why the hell is Live Sweden busted tonight? :(
They just made a deal with Gametrailers.com for monthly content (previews on games and stuff) if that makes you feel better...

aku:jiki

Tieno said:
They just made a deal with Gametrailers.com for monthly content (previews on games and stuff) if that makes you feel better...
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Why the hell would the owner of the entire platform need to sign a deal with a separate entity to...promote their own products?! It's just mindboggling, when they have actually set up the perfect promotion entity for a console (the console itself!) already.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Why the hell would the owner of the entire platform need to sign a deal with a separate entity to...promote their own products?! It's just mindboggling, when they have actually set up the perfect promotion entity for a console (the console itself!) already.
They could hire college tv broadcasting students ffs and it'd be better then what they have right now.

shpankey

not an idiot
Frenck said:
But this time nobody can complain that MS didn't have enough japanese games.

That was never the reason why the Xbox brand is failure in Japan. A Microsoft console can never stand a chance in Japan against japanese companies like Sony and Nintendo.

I know it isn't political correct to say it but that's the only explanation. Xbox and Xbox 360 offer enough quality games in enough different genres so that everybody could have fun with it. MS has Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Chrome Hounds, Armored Core, Final Fantasy XI, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Ridge Racer and they have Sonic.

The lack of quality or big name japanese games was never the problem.
what is then?

SnakeXs

GhaleonEB said:
Substitute "American" for "Microsoft". He's probably right, but I'd just as soon not go there, since it gets ugly fast.

Apple's doing just fine in Japan.

Oh snap. :D

arne

I think he meant to say that Gametrailers.com will be providing the content ON XBL.

Top Bottom