• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox one getting keyboard/mouse support

If I can run dota 2 on near max at 60 FPS. I will my girlfriend a xbox. A xbox here is cheaper than any type of pc build. Cheap parts are phased out all the time. Aus sucks for pc parts cost.

Expected with the expanded app support with the Xbox dash update and Windows 10. As long as the mouse isn't active for controller-based games its all good.

Oh god, please patch legitimate keyboard and mouse support into Halo, CoD or Destiny. I'd love to see it.
This right here is worst case scenario stuff. Don't split the community into KB/M vs controller users on a console.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
True, but my point is that if it's such an important feature to him, the $50 investment doesn't seem high.

It would be convenient to have it all in one box though. I have an Xbox hooked up with my DVR going through it. That step means it is my default place to play Netflix/plex/iPlayer. So adding in streaming from my PC without needing to change inputs etc would be very handy. I have preordered steam link, but if I could stream to Xbox I'd cancel/sell the box

Makes sense, they will need apis to filter control methods anyway for cross play. At that point filtering on the console as well becomes irrelevant.

Makes sense since the most of the Xbox's best titles are on PC anyway, this way they can play on keyboard/mouse as originally intended.

The Xbox One really has very few true exclusives when you look at it.

RdN

Yeah, more options is really bad.

In the end, it's not more options, tough.

As I said before in the thread, due to the absurd advantage to KB and mouse, it would end up having restrictions and would end up splitting the player base, resulting in a smaller pool for matchmaking. which itself is usually already pretty small for console RTS games.

NJDEN

This builds on the theory that they are porting Halo: Master Chief Collection to PC to help push Windows 10 sales.

A leaker said that MS would launch MCC exclusively on Windows 10 with both controller and keyboard & mouse support and will be able to cross play with the XBO. MS wanted to divide players control preference based on lobbies... It seems plausible that in order to present equal opportunities to both PC and console gamers that they offer keyboard and mouse support to XBO players.

I of course don't know this for sure and the leaker was a shady guy, but he had been right about earlier stuff...

This builds on the theory that they are porting Halo: Master Chief Collection to PC to help push Windows 10 sales.

A leaker said that MS would launch MCC exclusively on Windows 10 with both controller and keyboard & mouse support and will be able to cross play with the XBO. MS wanted to divide players control preference based on lobbies... It seems plausible that in order to present equal opportunities to both PC and console gamers that they offer keyboard and mouse support to XBO players.

I of course don't know this for sure and the leaker was a shady guy, but he had been right about earlier stuff...

Wondering when they would announce this, seems like the opportunity has passed and now the hype is on halo 5

Chucker

Loosen up the USB restrictions and let me use my 360 stick.

I already can when I stream to my PC, cut out the middle man pls.

Armaros

league of legends enabled console could be pretty good for china.

Considering a huge portion of Asia plays at Internet cafes instead of owning a console/PC. I don't think so.

I would imagine having to buy a keyboard/mouse + Xbox one would be worse.

Raide

Huh. Interesting addition. Makes me think more and more that the next Xbox is basically going to be a PC, especially with their Windows 10 ecosystem plans.

Hopefully I can just pop in my USB dongle and use my Keyboard and mouse that way.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Without a doubt up to the devs...beauty of consoles is the locked control method

Not this crap again. Doesn't exist people can use XIM if they want too and there are videos showing it across the last 2 generations.

Keep that delusion while people who want go through locks that don't exist, HID hacking/hijacking is not something you can stop without MS pissing off 3rd party vendors of controllers.

Devs should just make filters like epic did and let the community organize around that.

This is something the PS2 did in 2001.... wtf Microsoft.

with only a few games making use of it like Ps3 did, better than nothing not comparable to a pc experience especially when devs use analog to mouse filters for aim instead of rawinput.

I LOVED Halo Wars because it used controller.

Keep the simplicity of that game being designed around a controller.

If Halo stars supporting kbm, I'm out.

Controllers>>>>>

port all the MOBAs and MMOs over. you'll win.

They had several opportunities to port FFXIV: ARR but didn't want anything to do with their players sharing an online space with their rivals, one of those rivals being PC (I don't get that either). They let it slide for XI years ago on the 360 that was a different era.

Perhaps this whole Windows 10 Xbox - PC fusion is a start to merge both platforms together?

El Sabroso

XB1 already supports plugin kb for text, so I assume kb+mouse reffers to ingame support, this is a huge step if it is like that

HUELEN10

You know guys, if they announce system-wide overscan compensation like Wii U, then they've truly nailed it as THE living room box for Windows users.

It keeps getting better and better.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
queue the admiral ackbar "It's a trap GIF". Seems like MS wants the Xbox One to work like a Windows machine....

only thing it needs now is the blue screen of death and a copy of MS Office and it will really be a windows machine.
Xbox One runs Windows 8...

Chittagong

Gold Member
If they would make Xbone a $349 DOTA2 / WoW / LoL / Starcraft 2 box they could really pull the console out of its funk. There is a huge audience for those games, and making them that accessible would be a game changer.

Hell, they could do a Xbox MMO/MOBA bundle with all those games preloaded for free.

LCGeek

formerly sane
You can use a keyboard for text entry, but that's as far as it goes

So glad your cause is being fought back by the parts of the system that matters the most.

I said it before console devspublisher and manufacturers can no longer lock out users based on input and then give the crap they do on multiplaform pc titles. Some ex pc gamers are just that because of hardware demands not input. Locking them out is a dumb move that costs console focused devs money don't really care to appease a crowd that want it all for themselves. They don't ban arcade sticks or racing wheels. With the steam controller and xbox one elite coming in there will be no excuses just skill. Tournies are free to make their own rules and ban KB/M for the most part.

Lets devs do their jobs and offer support where it matters if you don't like it seriously don't buy the games that support it.

EvB

So glad your cause is being fought back by the parts of the system that matters the most.

I said it before console devspublisher and manufacturers can no longer lock out users based on input and then give the crap they do on multiplaform pc titles. Some ex pc gamers are just that because of hardware demands not input. Locking them out is a dumb move that costs console focused devs money don't really care to appease a crowd that want it all for themselves. They don't ban arcade sticks or racing wheels. With the steam controller and xbox one elite coming in there will be no excuses just skill. Tournies are free to make their own rules and ban KB/M for the most part.

Lets devs do their jobs and offer support where it matters if you don't like it seriously don't buy the games that support it.

I'm not really sure why you quoted me..

Maybe seperate match making depending on what peripheral is detected.
Then you split the community.

KB/M support is a positive for KB/M users, sure, but that positive comes at the direct expense of controller users who will find their playlists split and their now-standard input method putting them at a tremendous disadvantage in any kind of competitive modes (which is a lot), which is why its a bad idea for console gaming.

Top Bottom