• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox one getting keyboard/mouse support

Gren

I'm ass with a KB/mouse (well, more like I just don't like gaming from a desk), but good for those longing for it on console.

I can't imagine they'd make it work for all games across the board though, would no doubt sabotage their very own sales of the elite controller to competitive players.

nice now i can just wait for all the xbox one games to come to windows 10.
I KNEW i didn't need an xboxone...

that killer instinct 3 coming to 10 and all .

Not sure how you came to this conclusion.

This is something the PS2 did in 2001.... wtf Microsoft.

And the Dreamcast before that... and we got The Typing of the Dead. Wtf indeed
/s

lucky you I've had 2 of them this week alone...

Check your hardware and any third party drivers you may have installed.

Three

I don't think this means keyboard mouse support in Halo. It simply means they are going to support keyboard and mouse HID devices on the system. It's up to the developer to implement it in a game. The PS4 already has keyboard and mouse support.

http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9547/~/use-keyboard-and-mouse-with-ps4™

Doesn't mean KZ has mouse and keyboard support. It does mean developers can implement support in games like they have done in some PS4 games such as Final Fantasy: a realm reborn.

Ke0

Xbox One is to PS3 as PS4 is to Xbox 360. Can't wait until I print documents from my Xbox One and other random stuff.

This thread title and first post really need the context added. A whole lot of confusion in here about adding KB+M support for Xbox One games, when this is actually about playing PC games on Xbox One.

Is streaming to windows 10 going to be there at launch on July 29th? Does anyone know?
It's been in the Insider build for awhile now. It will be there at launch.

Xbudz

Imagine instant switching from Xbox to Windows interface.
What would Device Manager look like running on an Xbox?

Tadie

I would love to see Xbox One Shooters with mouse and keyboard support.

But I think for the MP it would be really unfair.

SP would be nice :)

I would love to see Xbox One Shooters with mouse and keyboard support.

But I think for the MP it would be really unfair.

SP would be nice :)

Well this is nothing to do with Xbox One games with K&M support, just like PS4 already officially support K&M, but almost all games(other than very few games like FF14) not support K&M.

So if XB1 fully support K&M, it will just same as PS4.

LooseLips

That twitter conversation was sparked by a user enquiring about streaming from PC to Xbox.

Oddly, I'm more interested by that possibility, than the other way around: Being able to stream and play* my Steam library, and use KB&M, sounds great!

Of course, I've no idea if it's technically easy or virtually impossible to stream both ways.

*1080p 60 please

moerser

port all the MOBAs and MMOs over. you'll win.

not only this. if i would be able to play fps games on it with kb/m, i probably wouldnt buy much games for my ps4 anymore. i suck big time in fps with a controller and i had to sell my gaming pc... so this would be perfect.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Halo 5 with kb/m...I need that.

Even better just put the game on PC so I can play it at 1080p 60fps with better graphics.

Synth

On one hand I really like the idea of kb+m support for games/applications that would require it. On the other hand I sure as hell don't want it to become general support across all future games. I often buy console versions of games over PC version specifically to avoid the scenario of fighting kb+m players whilst I'm using a joypad.

Zedox

On one hand I really like the idea of kb+m support for games/applications that would require it. On the other hand I sure as hell don't want it to become general support across all future games. I often buy console versions of games over PC version specifically to avoid the scenario of fighting kb+m players whilst I'm using a joypad.

They could clearly have a setting in preferences for what type of players you want to play against. And since W10 and Xbox are controlled platforms, I believe MS could do that. It would just be the right thing to do.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I expect as much. Especially with Halo Wars 2 coming out. :)

EDIT: And people worrying about kb/m v. controller...I'm sure they'll have options on what type of player you want to play against. KB/M or Controller. No different than playing against PC players I would presume.

That's a total non issue. KB/M is cheap, you can get it for $20 (wireless even). So anybody who feels they are at a disadvantage can just get that. And it's no different than it is now. Wheel drivers have an advantage over pad drivers most of the time and Elite Controller owners have an advantage over standard players.

Amazing. My dad can now play Halo CE with me. He literally cannot use a dual stick controller (unless its Mario Kart) but he is a god with a K&M in first person shooters.

I expect as much. Especially with Halo Wars 2 coming out. :)

EDIT: And people worrying about kb/m v. controller...I'm sure they'll have options on what type of player you want to play against. KB/M or Controller. No different than playing against PC players I would presume.
Have you noticed that you're always "sure" that the best possible outcome for everyone is what's going to happen when it comes to MSs plans and actions? People are right to have concerns, and handwaving them away with really nothing else than feels time and time again is silly.

There's potential for this to create a disparity in competitiveness in XB1 multiplayer games. Full stop. Whether options for player search based on input type (something that does not exist on the XB1) will happen is a complete unknown, so there's no way to be sure about anything.

And to the guy who says we should go by KB/M, yeah, let me go and git gud with a new input so I can be competitive against people who've played KB/M for years. I'm sure that won't take long.

Sucks for all mouse with software control, you would be locked to whatever setrings come by default and some features may not even work.

UnrealEck

Games at 30 FPS are horrible with a mouse. I doubt it'll be a pleasant experience playing with KB/M in games running at 30 (some even lower). That's one of the problems with KB/M on a console. It's an issue on PC too of course, but one that you can work around in most cases.

Ushay

Finally we get Strategy games on Xbox? Yes please! But that hardware ain't up to the task of running a strategy game at 60 FPS though :(

But imagining this on the next iteration of Xbox (which when put in perspective, isn't THAT far away) ..hell yeah!

Zeta Oni

Have you noticed that you're always "sure" that the best possible outcome for everyone is what's going to happen when it comes to MSs plans and actions? People are right to have concerns, and handwaving them away with really nothing else than feels time and time again is silly.

There's potential for this to create a disparity in competitiveness in XB1 multiplayer games. Full stop. Whether options for player search based on input type (something that does not exist on the XB1) will happen is a complete unknown, so there's no way to be sure about anything.

And to the guy who says we should go by KB/M, yeah, let me go and git gud with a new input so I can be competitive against people who've played KB/M for years. I'm sure that won't take long.

Almost nothing currently is known for a fact about how this is being implented, so calling out someones position on speculation because it doesn't line up with your own is kinda BS.

Because there's several other posters in this thread you could call out for doing the exact same thing, just against instead of for MS, yet your post only addresses one with some positivity in it.

And since I'm pretty sure at this point it's a well known fact that KB and mouse players have an advantage when it comes to certain kinds of games, it's not exactly rocket science to come to the conclusion that a multi-billion dollar tech company might know that tidbit, and have made a plan.

Zedox

Almost nothing currently is known for a fact about how this is being implented, so calling out someones position on speculation because it doesn't line up with your own is kinda BS.

Because there's several other posters in this thread you could call out for doing the exact same thing, just against instead of for MS, yet your post only addresses one with some positivity in it.

And since I'm pretty sure at this point it's a well known fact that KB and mouse players have an advantage when it comes to certain kinds of games, it's not exactly rocket science to come to the conclusion that a multi-billion dollar tech company might know that tidbit, and have made a plan.

Thanks for saying almost exactly what I would have said.

Synth

They could clearly have a setting in preferences for what type of players you want to play against. And since W10 and Xbox are controlled platforms, I believe MS could do that. It would just be the right thing to do.

Yea, they could... though honestly, I don't think I'd like that much either. I wouldn't want the userbase to be split between m+kb users and joypad users for each game.. it's like taking the benefits of crossplatform play, and then reversing it. There are cases where I honestly wouldn't mind (I think the villain in Fable Legends should be able to use a m+kb no matter what device they're on), but I would hope it wouldn't simply become standard in console games going forwards, especially not if the PC players start to make up a larger portion of each game's playerbase.

With that said, I'm honestly not too worried though, as I doubt MS is oblivious to the potential issues.

Zedox

Yea, they could... though honestly, I don't think I'd like that much either. I wouldn't want the userbase to be split between m+kb users and joypad users for each game.. it's like taking the benefits of crossplatform play, and then reversing it. There are cases where I honestly wouldn't mind (I think the villain in Fable Legends should be able to use a m+kb no matter what device they're on), but I would hope it wouldn't simply become standard in console games going forwards, especially not if the PC players start to make up a larger portion of each game's playerbase.

With that said, I'm honestly not too worried though, as I doubt MS is oblivious to the potential issues.

You're either going to force the playerbase to play a certain way or you let the devs/players choose what type of player they want to play against. Which one is more consumer friendly and easier for a business to manage? I'm pretty sure it's the second one.

So to me, if a player never wants to play against a kb/m and the dev allows me that option..I should have a preference on my acct that says I only want to play against controller. Let the community deal with those issues, not MS...but MS should enable a dev to have those options.

Synth

You're either going to force the playerbase to play a certain way or you let the devs/players choose what type of player they want to play against. Which one is more consumer friendly and easier for a business to manage? I'm pretty sure it's the second one.

So to me, if a player never wants to play against a kb/m and the dev allows me that option..I should have a preference on my acct that says I only want to play against controller. Let the community deal with those issues, not MS...but MS should enable a dev to have those options.

Yea, the second option is more consumer friendly in general...

I hate this next bit because I always end up coming across as a bit of an asshole, but... I don't really care what's considered the most user friendly option, I care only about how I like things as they are currently (i.e. friendly to one particular user... me). I would much rather force PC players to use a joypad in a potential Halo 5 port, than to introduce mouselook to the game. I don't really view m+kb in the same fashion as I do stuff like racing wheels or arcade sticks. In both of those cases I feel a joypad player has roughly the same potential performance as the other control options (maybe not for Project Cars, heh).. but for kb+m vs controller, I feel that even a mediocre player with a kb+m is likely to run a train on a much higher skilled joypad user, necessitating the two be separated. It just goes against unified nature of the XBL community imo... where you'll start considering what control types players use before you invite them to your games, etc.

I do think leaving it in the dev's hands would likely work out for the best in general... but I'm less convinced about the users.

Top Bottom