• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One seemingly won't support external storage at launch.

Amir0x

Banned
It speaks to how off badly Sony caught them off guard with their PS4 announcement and they had to hurry to get the Xbone out the door around the same time as the competition. They are slashing features left and right to get it out the door. You better believe that if the PS4 was to launch in, say, the fall of 2014 just for the sake of debate, they would glady have also said they are launching in the fall of 2014 to polish up a lot of these things.

I mean I know PS4 probably won't have all its promises features in a row at launch (PS4 won't allow installing games to the external harddrive at launch, although to my knowledge they never promised such a feature), but it's really hard to keep track on Xbox One. I am glad people like Albert Penello are around to try to clarify things, but as we've seen, things are so confusing even he can be caught blindsided.

eastmen

Banned
It's really starting to get difficult keeping track exactly what is even going to be ready for the Xbox One at launch. The amount of difficulty in transition from the consumer-fucking model of Xbox One to what it is now must have really hurt them.

● Self-publishing coming to Xbox One; won't be fully in place at launch.
● "Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available." --> Kinect will only work fully in 5 countries out of the 13 launch countries.
● Xbox One will be available in 21 countries for Launch -> Xbox One will launch in only 13 countries
● External Harddrive is supported --> External Harddrive support won't be ready at Launch
● Xbox One pre-orders in Europe Tier 1 countries receive FIFA 2014 for free --> Wait, we mean it's for Xbox One Day One Edition pre-orders.
● Pre-loading not ready for Launch; Will Come Later

When you add on top of all this the massive amount of 180s - all positive as far as I'm concerned - this has to be the most confusing console launch of all time. It's remarkable really. Everything that can be confusing is at this point.

All stems back to the removal of drm a few months ago.

You think its positive but all the 180s have been negative to me. I rather have a steam like drm set up which I love on the pc then the tradtion drm of a console which ive been moving away from for the last 8 years

Amir0x

Banned
All stems back to the removal of drm a few months ago.

You think its positive but all the 180s have been negative to me. I rather have a steam like drm set up which I love on the pc then the tradtion drm of a console which ive been moving away from for the last 8 years

It's nice to want things, but Microsoft's system was not set up like Steam, and if those benefits were coming, there was certainly no reason to have faith that they were in the pipe.

Anyway, I feel like this battle has already been won for our side, so I'm sorry for the few people on Earth who actually liked Xbox One's DRM anti-consumer nightmare, but the rest of us are still on cloud nine :D

Anyway, I feel like this battle has already been won for our side, so I'm sorry for the few people on Earth who actually liked Xbox One's DRM anti-consumer nightmare, but the rest of us are still on cloud nine :D
ib1MhoubjdG8W1.gif

Finalizer

Oh for fuck's sake, we've even managed to wiggle a "Xbox One DRM was like Steam"/consumer blaming bullshit aside to this mess. Knock it off with that nonsense already.

eastmen

Banned
It's nice to want things, but Microsoft's system was not set up like Steam, and if those benefits were coming, there was certainly no reason to have faith that they were in the pipe.

well I agree it wasnt set up like steam. Oh wait no it was just like steam outside of beong able to lend the game to 10 friends and not being able to go off line. Aside from those diffrences it was just like the steam ive used for the last decade.

I feel the battle was lost for gamers every wjere and we have at least another 5 years sadled with physical media.

Doesnt matter to me noe since with no media center support I wont be buying a console this gen.

Amir0x

Banned
well I agree it wasnt set up like steam. Oh wait no it was just like steam outside of beong able to lend the game to 10 friends and not being able to go off line. Aside from those diffrences it was just like the steam ive used for the last decade.

And apart from things like, ya know, massive non-stop game sales and backward compatibility with a long history of PC games.

And those things you mentioned.

And surely a million other things that weren't quantified because the system wasn't allowed off the ground.

But besides all those things, it was exactly the same. Point conceded. We're obviously back in May 21 or something.

I feel the battle was lost for gamers every wjere and we have at least another 5 years sadled with physical media.

Doesnt matter to me noe since with no media center support I wont be buying a console this gen.

Gamers according to every poll ever taken about next-gen now prefer PS4 something like 75% to 25%. And that's almost entirely due to those policies. By all means, fight the good fight, but I think few people will be cheering for your victory :p

lol..no,sorry but that its pure bs

eastmen

Banned
And apart from things like, ya know, massive non-stop game sales and backward compatibility with a long history of PC games.

And those things you mentioned.

And surely a million other things that weren't quantified because the system wasn't allowed off the ground.

But besides all those things, it was exactly the same. Point conceded. We're obviously back in May 21 or something.

Gamers according to every poll ever taken about next-gen now prefer PS4 something like 75% to 25%. And that's almost entirely due to those policies. By all means, fight the good fight, but I think few people will be cheering for your victory :p

Steam isnt even compatible acriss it self. I cant plsy all my games on linux or mac. So I dont see why your bringing up compatibility

As for people perfering ps4 there was the same slanted polls with the ps3 before it launched and we all see how well it managed to retiain the ps2 install base .

Steam isnt even compatible acriss it self. I cant plsy all my games on linux or mac. So I dont see why your bringing up compatibility

As for people perfering ps4 there was the same slanted polls with the ps3 before it launched and we all see how well it managed to retiain the ps2 install base .

Amir0x you have some special kind of patience.

StevieP

Banned

Are you being serious or only joking? Did you really just complain that the massive sales and near unlimited BC are somehow crap because not all of those cheap, awesome games were recompiled for Linux and OSX?

Amir0x

Banned

There was one major poll that was slanted prior to the PS3/360 launch, as far as I've ever been able to find, and the rest showed a much more murky picture, which is what ultimately ended up happening with the PS3 taking over the 360 and winning second place.

But regarding PS4 vs. XBO, EVERY single poll, every single pre-order number we have, every website and game store that has had market news leak from it, every...you know what, just wait a few months and see. You're about to be in for a surprise if you're not expecting one result.

Anyway, this is off topic, but Xbox One was never like Steam, and that pipe dream was just that - a dream. Sorry you're still holding onto that dream, but it's time to let it go :)

kadotsu

Banned

You need to apply some Bayesian analysis to the whole poll results. One or two polls could easily be slanted or false. But every metric like pre-order numbers, search tracking and polls have been very heavily in the PS4's favor.
Of course the only poll that matters will be the sales charts but right now the probability of the PS4 outselling the XB1 in every market is higher than the opposite.

Your compatibility argument, however, is ridiculous. It's like saying that PS2 games should be compatible with the OUYA. And Steam earned its DRM with years of good service (and it is nothing like the clusterfuck that was the original XB1 DRM).

eastmen

Banned
On steam I can buy a game digitialy or physicly. They both become a digital game which is tied to my account and I cant trade in or let anyone borrow. There were great sales at certiam holidays during the year.

Seems exactly the same as the announced xbox stuff.

The gaf shutting its ears to whats actually diffrent between the teo allways seemed so odd but then again actually looking at the negativity surrounding ms and the xbox one I n this forum and its quite obvious whats going on.

Amir0x

Banned
On steam I can buy a game digitialy or physicly. They both become a digital game which is tied to my account and I cant trade in or let anyone borrow. There were great sales at certiam holidays during the year.

Damn Summer is a holiday!? And every single day they have a special deal of the day, which is every single day of the year?

Man Steam is getting more restrictive every second, apparently.

The gaf shutting its ears to whats actually diffrent between the teo allways seemed so odd but then again actually looking at the negativity surrounding ms and the xbox one I n this forum and its quite obvious whats going on.

What's going on? I honestly don't know. You seem to be clued in so can you share? I'm a little concerned that something is going on, and I don't know about it.

VanWinkle

Seems exactly the same as the announced xbox stuff.

You can buy digital games from a vast variety of places and use it on Steam, AS WELL as the physical copies at stores. Humble Bundle comes to mind.

Nevermind, debating this is "off-topic" I guess, not going to light any fire. :p

Anyways, I really hope Microsoft patches in external storage as fast as possible. I can make due with 500GB (or whatever the true amount is after the OS and system data), for a few months, or even a year, but after that, I don't see how it'd work. If every game is a mandatory install, and assuming each game is at least 10 GBs, which I don't think is so far out there, you'd be done after 50 games, which sounds like a lot, but really isn't after you consider a good amount will be taken by videos, music, DLC, etc. The faster I can buy a TB USB harddrive, the better.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, let's ignore the weekly Xbox Live sales, and the annual Summer, Holiday, Black Friday, and Spring sales.

I'm not discrediting them, but everyone who is connected to the industry knows that comparing Xbox Live sales to the breadth and consistency of Steam Sales is intentionally trying to muddy the argument.

Yes, there are sales on PSN too, but I wouldn't say it was the same as Steam because it's not. Steam has created a platform which allows people to be more accepting of giving up certain rights because the benefits are endless: constant non-stop HUGE game sales, tuned in with things like Humble Bundle, casting as wide a net as possible. Now they have features of all types, marketplaces to sell items you win in games, card trading features, early access, just every level of feature you can imagine.

There is no evidence to suggest Xbox One - or PS4 for that matter - would ever match the sort of things Steam does on a consistent basis. And it's just wishful thinking otherwise, which is clearly not supported by the company we've seen these past few months constantly changing their story, seeming unprepared, lying about everything and promising stuff that ends up delayed or never comes.

It seems some people just have more faith than others.

I'm not going to tackle the backwards compatibility claim, mostly because you're right, and the closest we'll get is HD remakes, which may or may not be done for big popular games like Halo 2, but I just want to say this, who still plays Doom on a regular basis, and is it REALLY that big of a positive that you can play Unreal Tournament still? It's not a deal-breaker for me.

I don't know, but enough people that you shouldn't try to discredit its importance, that's for sure.

I'm still sticking by the unpopular opinion that I would have preferred the DRM, I WANTED to be share my game collection with a "family" of friend, that would have been awesome, I thought that one desperate "please don't hate us it's not that bad" gesture from Microsoft made the 24 hour check-in worth it. and regardless of HOW unpopular this opinion is, it is still a valid opinion.

I'm not too hung over it though, I'm fine with the current Xbox One policies as they are. :)

It's valid, if you actually believe the family share plan was anything like they advertised. It wasn't, but I'm sure I can't convince you of that.

Saw this coming a mile away

Edit: I mean the seemingly non-support for game installation on external drives, it went the way of family sharing

How did we get to Xbox DRM being like steam again?

Argument has been dusted so many times

Amir0x

Banned
Saw this coming a mile away

Edit: I mean the seemingly non-support for game installation on external drives, it went the way of family sharing

How did we get to Xbox DRM being like steam again?

Argument has been dusted so many times

Do you think support will never be added, they say it just won't be there at launch?

ethomaz

Banned
Can MS do a list for what feature the console will support at launch? Because seems like there are more things post launch... even the story mode in game will be post launch.

eastmen

Banned
You can buy digital games from a vast variety of places and use it on Steam, AS WELL as the physical copies at stores. Humble Bundle comes to mind.
Yes I know and the original xbox one drm would allow for it. Which would have been great. All the benfits of DD and physical media .

Damn Summer is a holiday!? And every single day they have a special deal of the day, which is every single day of the year?

I dunno ask anyone in school is summer is a holiday.

What's going on? I honestly don't know. You seem to be clued in so can you share? I'm a little concerned that something is going on, and I don't know about it.

Its quite obvious what's going on.

If you want to continue on about how the drm wasn't the same as steam although the large majority of the feature set is exactly the same then start a thread on it. I wont take this one any further off topic.

Ding

It speaks to how off badly Sony caught them off guard with their PS4 announcement and they had to hurry to get the Xbone out the door around the same time as the competition.
The PS4 announcement and timetable took precisely no one by surprise if they were paying the slightest attention to the industry, and I assure you that MS was.

MS is failing to meet their own multi-year timetable here. It has nothing to do with Sony. Why have they become so suddenly inept and tone deaf? I... have no idea. I find it inexplicable.

Do you think support will never be added, they say it just won't be there at launch?

I don't know tbh

Certainly more chance of this coming back than the fabled family sharing as people believed that to be

I think you can install xbox 360 games onto usb flash drives right?

Probably to compensate due to the arcade model and not everyone having a HDD

Honestly I don't think MS wants to let us install games outside of the internal HDD without their check in system to make sure everything is on the level

Sure they can validate games with the disc but I don't think they'll allow anyone to full install to externals as that's gotta be a liability for pirating and MS is actually quite actively opposed to pirating

It's possible it'll come back but I'm not overly optimistic

Umm....What?!? You must be living in another universe because in mine Steam had offline play and didn't need to check in every 24 hours. Surely you noticed that the Xbox One didn't offer that capability since it was one of the major gripes against it.

No battle was lost. If Microsoft truly wants to innovate with digital DRM they still can. All they have to do is offer a digital package that is better than a disc based one. If MS really can offer better features like they claimed with the digital drm then everybody would use it.

But here is the rub. Nobody believed their hype, and apparently neither did Microsoft. If their entire digital strategy can be foiled because it now has to compete with a disk based one, then that proves that their digital strategy really isn't any better. It would be like CD disk manufacturers throwing in the towel because consumers could still by tape, or iTunes giving up because consumers could still buy CDs. Sorry Microsoft, it just doesn't pass the smell test.

Finalizer

who still plays Doom on a regular basis

Probably one of the worst examples you could use, between the online communities that persist to this day through Zandronum, and the continued popularity of mods such as Brutal Doom, whose latest official version has a download count numbering over a hundred thousand. Really, Doom is a showcase of the importance of preservation of old games.

I realize the post I'm responding to was edited hours ago, but I felt this point was worth mentioning anyway.

Top Bottom