• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

Thanks to the power of the new Kinect®, you can control your games even if they have complex inputs, by shaking your heading / blinking / pulling your tongue out, and more.
This allows you to concurrently type with our $100M Xbox One® controller to research walkthroughs and tutorials online with Bing®.

I wonder who requested that feature?

CPlrrbk.jpg

ps9eJg4.jpg

CpB721A.jpg

nrab4Ei.jpg

The man has the most photogenic tongue in the business

Finalizer

It is to me the biggest mystery behind everything. Exactly why did they ever try to wade into the system power wars? There was no way they were ever going to win that fight, strategically early on they said they "purposefully didn't target the highest end specs." Now, neither did PS4, but everyone knows PR does not say things such as that unless it means your system is not as powerful as the competition. That's why instead of saying that, Sony keeps saying "the most powerful games console ever created."

Microsoft literally put their own heads in the noose, and I have no idea why.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that statement made before or around E3? I'm still under the impression that, at that time, MS still thought they weren't even competing with Sony and were going to sell this new Xbox to a wider audience from the get-go; the whole "Apple of the living room" thing I've touched on before. I get the feeling that vainly delving into power fights was simply MS' hand being forced when they realized that they still have to sell this thing to hardcore gamers for the time being, and that audience currently sees weaker hardware for a higher price. Focusing on hardware power was likely never supposed to be part of the original pitch for the thing.

njean777

Journalists were screaming for a Wii HD so they wouldn't have to look at 480p upscaled games on their HDTVs.

Man I remember those times, so many rumors of a Wii HD and every journalist was praising the rumors, now though HD doesnt matter anymore. I laugh so hard at these journalists that downplay this news.

Serick

Married Member
100 million plus sales and the current Gen console crown says that it didn't seem to matter much. Consumers had a lot of fun at 480i with RCA inputs.

Yeah, and how many of those people bought into the hype at launch, and got rid of it after beating Twilight Princess?

<--- At least one.

Journalists were screaming for a Wii HD so they wouldn't have to look at 480p upscaled games on their HDTVs.

Also this.

No. I don't see anyone discussing the merits of features and factors outside resolution. So if I'm playing COD on Xbox one at upscaled 1080p or native 1080p on PS4, the game functions exactly the same. So what else should I consider?

Downloadable content
multiplayer options
Dedicated servers
...all of those are publisher controlled

Then console specific there are...
Voice controls
Controllers
Speed of launching game
Etc.

The point being that there are many more things worth considering than native resolution. Native resolution in itself does not make a game enjoyable.
We don't know the performance differences for Ghosts yet, but for BF4 there are resolution and performance advantages for the PS4 over XBone. If the same holds true for Ghosts, wouldn't you want to own the best version?

jedimike

Except when it does. Like now, for instance.

Or maybe a Honda Civic IS better than a GTR.

The Wii is not a good analog for the XB1 for several reasons that have already been pointed out. Disingenuous.

Check out lap times on "the ring" for production cars and you'll see that power alone doesn't get you the fastest lap times.

Curufinwe

100 million plus sales and the current Gen console crown says that it didn't seem to matter much. Consumers had a lot of fun at 480i with RCA inputs.

Wii sales plateaued many years ago, as the percentage of households with 1080p TVs increased inexorably.

jedimike

We don't know the performance differences for Ghosts yet, but for BF4 there are resolution and performance advantages for the PS4 over XBone. If the same holds true for Ghosts, wouldn't you want to own the best version?

I absolutely want the best version and I doubt the selection of which version will ever boil down to native resolution.

I'm saying that resolutiongate is rubbish... It's a red herring and the gaffers are falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

Resolution is not the be all end all measurement that tells me if I'll like the game.
It's good for telling us the PS4 is more powerful. Fine, I accept that. Now show me why I'd want to buy them.

The point being that there are many more things worth considering than native resolution. Native resolution in itself does not make a game enjoyable.

You're arguing a point no one is making

Check out lap times on "the ring" for production cars and you'll see that power alone doesn't get you the fastest lap times.
What have I done?

Look, these next gen consoles are very similar in terms of architecture. The difference is, the PS4 has more power and better RAM. Think of it (if we're still doing cars) as a Pony Mustang (V6) versus a GT. Then upgrade the suspension of the GT.

Quick, someone do a DBZ comparison to add clarity!

I'm interested to hear what you think is going to up the performance of the XB1 that the PS4 is missing.

jedimike

What have I done?

Look, these next gen consoles are very similar in terms of architecture. The difference is, the PS4 has more power and better RAM. Think of it (if we're still doing cars) as a Pony Mustang (V6) versus a GT. Then upgrade the suspension of the GT.

Yes, but the XB1 has features more important than power. Once again, my original post in this thread was in regards to the media's lack of reporting on "resolutiongate."

E.g. Better online, better OS, more "apps", voice controls, etc. All of the can lend to better performance.

Serick

Married Member
Follow the thread back... My original post was in regards to media not reporting on "resolutiongate"

My point being... "Why would they?". The populist consumer doesn't care.

Except they are reporting on it, nearly every major media outlet is reporting on it. They're just reporting (See: downplaying) that the difference between 1080p and 720p isn't noticeable, when this is clearly not the case.

I don't think I've seen anyone on GAF (myself included) that is arguing that people playing BF4 on the Xbox One won't have fun because it's missing pixels.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why does that bother you so much? I mean do you need other people to see how awesome PS4 is before you can enjoy it? That seems to be the mindset on here lately...
I'm just tired of facts getting twisted. My primary consoles for the past two gens (GameCube and PS3) have both gotten some awful ports but I still love them both. I freely acknowledge that 360 is 95% of the time a better choice for multiplats. I don't want anyone to be disappointed, I just feel bad for people who keep finding new ways of getting their hopes up on this issue only to be upset later on. Tech discussions should be based in facts and subjective measures of concrete differences of 125% have no place in them.

Crisco

Banned
Follow the thread back... My original post was in regards to media not reporting on "resolutiongate"

Then you should tell Samsung, Sharp, Canon, Nokia, LG, HTC, Apple, Google, Amazon, and every another CE manufacturer who's ever released anything with a screen or an image sensor that they are wasting millions, if not billions, of dollars on developing and marketing higher resolution technology to the "populist consumer".

Yes, but the XB1 has features more important than power. Once again, my original post in this thread was in regards to the media's lack of reporting on "resolutiongate."
But you said power doesn't lead to better performance. It absolutely does. Those other factors you're talking about have nothing to do with performance in the terms we've been discussing for this entire thread.

Other threads exist if you wanna talk about features. We're talking about graphics and graphical performance.

Also, your opinion. We are discussing facts in this thread.

Is that Miley Cyrus' dad?

That would explain a lot actually.

No. I don't see anyone discussing the merits of features and factors outside resolution. So if I'm playing COD on Xbox one at upscaled 1080p or native 1080p on PS4, the game functions exactly the same. So what else should I consider?

Downloadable content
multiplayer options
Dedicated servers
...all of those are publisher controlled

Then console specific there are...
Voice controls
Controllers
Speed of launching game
Etc.

The point is that developers are having a hard time getting parity between the machines. It's not like they didn't try to get the same features up and running. Something is keeping them from it. From what we know about the differences between the boxes we have some pretty good guesses as to what those things are.

Does this mean that Xbox One games will be less fun? Not primarily no, but does point to the idea that Xbox One games take more work to get to a similar performance level as the PS4. More man hours spent on tightening up the graphics on level 3 can come at the expense of tightening up the gameplay on level 3. A lot of the gameplay innovations for next gen are going to rely heavily on performance: Better AI, Destructibility, fluid dynamics, advanced physics, simulated open worlds and so on.

So, yes resolution matters both primarily and secondarily for what it implies about the capabilities of the box. Again, I am sure that someone who buys a Xbox One at launch and plays it exclusively for the next 5 years will have a grand ol' time and get her/his money's worth, people are just trying to place it's price/performance proposition in the context of the bigger picture.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that statement made before or around E3? I'm still under the impression that, at that time, MS still thought they weren't even competing with Sony and were going to sell this new Xbox to a wider audience from the get-go; the whole "Apple of the living room" thing I've touched on before. I get the feeling that vainly delving into power fights was simply MS' hand being forced when they realized that they still have to sell this thing to hardcore gamers for the time being, and that audience currently sees weaker hardware for a higher price. Focusing on hardware power was likely never supposed to be part of the original pitch for the thing.

I think you're spot on here. The 5/21 event was such a complete disaster that it made them realize they still need the core gamer crowd. Retrospect is always perfect but looking back I think the best choice would have been to address the power gap head on during the reveal by saying their GPU was 1.31TF and that it was 6x that in the 360. If pressed on a comparison to the PS4 they should have ignored the PS4 entirely and said they were happy with the performance of their console and point to all the other things they were doing to add value.

I also think they'd gotten complacent about their PR and marketing arm and needed to learn from their problems over the past few years in all areas. The PR arm in particular really let the console down with ill timed and ill judged comments.

Dragon

Banned

Go to amazon.com and tell me what they list under the new kindle. Specs thread doesn't have anything to do with your irrevelancies.

Curufinwe

Populist consumers are the people buying up Retina iPhones, 1080p Android phones, and tablets with even higher resolutions.

cilonen

E.g. Better online, better OS, more "apps", voice controls, etc. All of the can lend to better performance.

Unless two or three of those apps boost games up to native 1080p and a couple more lock the framerate at 60, they do absolutely jack shit for performance.

Feorax

It's ironic really. You could argue that if Microsoft had just said "we aren't pushing the top tier graphically, we accept that, but as a tradeoff you get feature X, Y and Z", and the press had said "well there is a fairly substantial graphical gap that will be noticeable to some, but both versions are equally fun", then there would be much less outcry.

In essence, it's really the downplaying that's causing the outcry.

It's ironic really. You could argue that if Microsoft had just said "we aren't pushing the top tier graphically, we accept that, but as a tradeoff you get feature X, Y and Z", and the press had said "well there is a fairly substantial graphical gap that will be noticeable to some, but both versions are equally fun", then there would be much less outcry.

This is exactly whats happening.

Jack_AG

Banned
You're absolutely right.

Its one quality among several that can make one version of the game stand out as best for a particular person. For some people, resolution is one of the more important qualities they're looking for.

For me, in visuals, yes. I'll take PS2-level visuals running at 1080p all day. I will turn everything down (not that I ever need to) on my PC to keep a game at 1080/60. For some reason jaggies make my eyes bleed. It's just a pet peeve of mine like torn fra... TOOOOORN FRRRRAAAAAMES GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?! MEOW I'M ALL PISSED!

Hoje0308

Banned

The Nurburgring is largely a circuit that favors both power and the ability to maintain balance through a corner. The PS4 is both more powerful and easier to develop for. What this means is that, according to your own analogy, the PS4 is in fact the better performing console. I have no idea why people are still trying to defend the position stating that the Xbone is as capable a machine as its direct competition. Keep telling yourself that "power doesn't equal performance" while the PS4 continues to utilize its performance advantage to outperform X1.

For me, in visuals, yes.
Jaggies are a sore spot for me too, and its the jaggies that really stand out in these upscaled games.

I'm less sensitive to tearing, but I understand how it drives other people nuts. I'm not about to claim it doesn't exist or doesn't matter.

Hoje0308

Banned
Populist consumers are the people buying up Retina iPhones, 1080p Android phones, and tablets with even higher resolutions.

Not only that, they're typically not the guys that wait in line to get all the launch units and will usually just wait for word of mouth to spread - from the people that stood in line to get launch units.

cilonen

Exactly, and this echoes Amir0x's points from a page or so back. MS, having made the decision to go with this system designed primarily as an all in one entertainment box, are now not confident at all in that vision since the backlash over the original reveal, the jumping ship of Mattrick and generally how badly any PR from their senior execs has been received.

They've tried to go back to the 'most powerful, best games machine' schtick and have been called on it every single time so now they're stuck either clamming up in silence and embargoing everything, too scared to accept the machine and sell it for what it is rather than trying to jump on a power and specs battleship that has long since sailed with the PS4.

Exactly, and this echoes Amir0x's points from a page or so back. MS, having made the decision to go with this system designed primarily as an all in one entertainment box, are now not confident at all in that vision since the backlash over the original reveal, the jumping ship of Mattrick and generally how badly any PR from their senior execs has been received.

They've tried to go back to the 'most powerful, best games machine' schtick and have been called on it every single time so now they're stuck either clamming up in silence and embargoing everything, too scared to accept the machine and sell it for what it is rather than trying to jump on a power and specs battleship that has long since sailed with the PS4.
Well, they did initially try to play to their strengths. It's just that those strengths didn't resonate with gamers, who didn't see any of them as advantages.

system11

You heard it here. Lighter consoles = more frames per second.

Of course if you apply the theory to the weight of the OS, the Xbone is less powerful and heavier.

Top Bottom