• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Most Expensive and Rare Gaming Item

Jswanko said:
Not exactly expensive but kinda rare maybe?

viva.jpg

definitely rare

An English-language copy of Inazuma Eleven:

jR9oHl.jpg

It's not (yet?) been released in any primarily English-speaking country, only a few mainland Europe countries that don't use the French, German, etc. translations.

I don't know if Nintendo are still printing 'em...

Moofers

100_1297.jpg

Limited Edition Femme Fatale Tournament Stick. Number 92 of 650. I also put a CHiMP SD in there, so it works on my PS3 and PC as well. Probably my favorite thing that I own.

644187261_2303223596_0.jpg

Came with Metal Gear Solid when I bought it. Front and back cover are metal. Also got a shirt, but I wore the hell out of the shirt and its long gone. It was rad though because it was just white with a big red ! on the back. No obvious "THIS IS A GAME SHIRT" stuff.

644187143_2303223226_0.jpg

I kept this throughout the years, and was never quite sure why. Now I look back and am glad I did. It was EGM during one of its better periods, also during one of videogaming's best periods. Haven't seen issue 100 on eBay either, though I've only been checking on that since about February this year.

644187331_2303223905_0.jpg

644187372_2303224051_0.jpg

Got this just before the first movie came out. Never saw another one like it. My uncle gave it to me along with a Mortal Kombat baseball cap and told me they were promotional items. No idea how or why he got them, but the shirt has stayed with me through the years. Also has sentimental value as I was wearing it the day I went through the window of a car. How appropriate that I was wearing an MK shirt the day I needed over 100 stitches and was bleeding all over the place. lol

giggas

Moofers said:
644187143_2303223226_0.jpg

I kept this throughout the years, and was never quite sure why. Now I look back and am glad I did. It was EGM during one of its better periods, also during one of videogaming's best periods. Haven't seen issue 100 on eBay either, though I've only been checking on that since about February this year.

I just sold that exact issue and about 200 other NP, EGM and GamePro's from the late 80s - now to a local game shop. I made about 40 dollars in store credit, but that was better than making nothing since it was either taking them there or just throwing them into the recycle bin.

That said, yeah, hold onto it. I held onto a few of my EGM's as well, like the HUGE issues that happened around late '94. It's cool to have some of them around for nostalgia's sake.

Uhhh let's see. I honestly don't know how much anything is worth these days in regards to gaming, but some of my most cherished things are:

My SNES RPG collection:
Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Ogre Battle
Chrono Trigger
etc.

My wife bought me Metroid Prime Trilogy this week, which is pretty rare. I've heard Tetris DS is pretty hard to find too, and I have that.

And as far as memorabilia goes, I have the Club Nintendo Platinum Mario Hat and Statue.

eXistor

giggas said:
I just sold that exact issue and about 200 other NP, EGM and GamePro's from the late 80s - now to a local game shop. I made about 40 dollars in store credit, but that was better than making nothing since it was either taking them there or just throwing them into the recycle bin.

That said, yeah, hold onto it. I held onto a few of my EGM's as well, like the HUGE issues that happened around late '94. It's cool to have some of them around for nostalgia's sake.

Luckily we have a large shed (really more of a small house) where we put assorted crap and I've stashed all my old mags there. I actually rifled through some today as I was feeling nostalgic. My EGM 100 mag is in there somewhere as well :)

vireland

Marty Chinn said:
Heh wow, those sound nice. Also, don't you remember, I sold you those Guncons =)

I didn't remember that. I just knew we had to buy in bulk to send to the electroplating place. :)

giggas

eXistor said:
Luckily we have a large shed (really more of a small house) where we put assorted crap and I've stashed all my old mags there. I actually rifled through some today as I was feeling nostalgic. My EGM 100 mag is in there somewhere as well :)

Cool. It's a lot of fun to go through old game mags I think. So many cool and barely known games in those things that always have me scrambling the net and looking them up when I put the issue down.

It was hard to get rid of literally a life time of magazines but I'm trying to clean out my basement and I had two huge plastic bins full of them. It was especially hard getting rid of the old Nintendo Power issues, though I did keep the first two years worth starting with issue 1 (I'm missing the Castlevania II cover issue though). The only magazine I had tons of that I didn't keep any was GamePro. I got them all the time, but I never loved GP like I did NP and EGM.

But I ended up turning that whole collecting into Landstalker (GEN), Dino City (SNES), Nemesis (GB), Donkey Kong King of Swing (GBA) and Strider (GEN). So I got something out of it.

Moofers

giggas said:
Yeah, they're fun. I like looking through those old mags and seeing the games you never hear people talk about anymore. Remember when Road Rash was new? Or Albert Oddyssey on Sega CD? Virtua Fighter on 32X? Way of the Warrior on 3DO? I also love seeing the ads in the back for all the mail order places that did imports. It was like "Whoa! Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle on SNES? Dragon Ball Z on PlayStation? Those games are so awesome they'll never come out here in the states! lol

I have a near complete collection of PSM magazine from issues 1-40 that I'm hanging onto as well. Pretty cool since I'm a big PlayStation fan, but not quite as special as the old EGMs that covered gaming in its entirety.

giggas

Moofers said:
Yeah, they're fun. I like looking through those old mags and seeing the games you never hear people talk about anymore. Remember when Road Rash was new? Or Albert Oddyssey on Sega CD? Virtua Fighter on 32X? Way of the Warrior on 3DO? I also love seeing the ads in the back for all the mail order places that did imports. It was like "Whoa! Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle on SNES? Dragon Ball Z on PlayStation? Those games are so awesome they'll never come out here in the states! lol

I have a near complete collection of PSM magazine from issues 1-40 that I'm hanging onto as well. Pretty cool since I'm a big PlayStation fan, but not quite as special as the old EGMs that covered gaming in its entirety.

Yeah the import ads in the back were awesome. I actually just wrote a whole big thing about how much I love this stuff on my blog. Took some pictures too

egm_imports.jpg

The games you never heard of

egm_import_coverage.jpg

egm_arcade_coverage.jpg

EGM sizes through the years

egm_mag_size_comparison.jpg

And I LOVED these two covers. I probably shouldn't have sold these, but oh well.

egm_amano_covers.jpg

I ended up keeping these and a few others

np_first_two_years.jpg

cagelessrat said:
dsci0024a.jpg

I've had it for years...don't even remember where it came from. I think my dad just found it somewhere.

I found my copy of that while going through some stuff at my parents' house a few years back. Square mailed these out to people no their mailing ilst.

dock

nights-a.jpg

My most expensive item is probably just an original NiGHTS into Dreams plushie (of NiGHTS himself), which I think is worth about $100-200. Nothing too spectacular, but relatively uncommon.

Oh, and of course I have Radiant Silvergun and a couple of copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga (PAL). And a Skeleton "This is cool" Saturn.

Whimsical Phil said:
Fernandes UmJammer Lammy electric guitar
nr4kb6
Wow, massive props for you! I didn't realise this existed, and researching it really isn't cheap.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
tearsofash said:
Probably all my casio loopy stuff for rarest. Most expensive would be my NeoGeo AES games.

I demand pics of your Casio Loopy stuff :p

As for my own rare stuff -
Several SNES games which typically go for over $50 (like UK Terranigma).

I suppose I could get my Killzone stuff signed.

I used to have a boxed copy of Battlecruiser 3000AD signed by Derek Smart, but after a few years I threw it away. I doubt that was a mistake.

Also had Quake II Extremities addon signed by id Software, but threw that away too.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
my most expensive item other than the consoles is probably that microsoft driving wheel. The rarest item I have is apparently a copy of suikoden II.

jvm

Gamasutra.
OldJadedGamer said:
Is that worth money? I was cleaning out storage a few weeks ago and think I threw it away.
No idea. AFAIK, only given away at E3, so it had a fairly limited run. Popular magazine, rare cover, notable game. I figured people might dig it and be willing to drop a pretty penny on it. *shrug*

ashbash159 said:
I was bored and was looking through my cupboards and found two of my old and rare Sackboys which I won in an online competition from Media Molecule.

http://i.imgur.com/h289W.jpg
[B][s]This is not my image. I have the exact same, though. In the same wrapping and with the same letter. But two of them![/s][/B]

I then randomly searched ebay and found that two were selling for £100 and £125! I was so surprised!

[U]So my question is, what do you think your most expensive and therefore rare gaming item you have is?[/U]

([s]I would provide images if it wasn't so late at night.[/s] Please provide your own images of your items if you can!)

EDIT: I've included my own picture now.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 of them and a book that was only give to devs at Mm as far as i know im still the only one out side Mm that have it as well as LBP2 they made just them them everyone at the movie jam got one

ps ill be in the e3 trailer ^^;

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/350rqy9.jpg

Dr. Light

I've got quite a bit in my collection, but my highest value items are:

1. Factory sealed Panzer Dragoon Saga. Nuff said. I paid $325 for it back in 2003, but it's easily worth more than twice that now. I can't link to an Ebay auction because there aren't any. These hardly exist anymore.

2.Factory Sealed Mass Effect 1 Collector's Edition. Yeah, really. I was surprised too. I paid $90 for it. Also have the standard version, so it's still sealed.

After that, it's a dropoff. There is the sealed copy of Tales of Destiny as well as a bunch of games that are in the $100ish range.

I have some others that might be worth more if they were still sealed (like the World of Warcraft vanilla CE). Also have the ultra-rare orange version of the What's Shenmue demo disc, sealed of course. A sealed copy of Alundra signed by Victor Ireland. Countless preorder swag and knick-knacks of course, but I don't track the value of that stuff.

Apparently my PS3 English copy of Aquanaut's Holiday is worth like $150+ now according to eBay insanity *mind blown*

Have that, but not sealed. Interesting...

Now that I'm actually looking over the examples in this thread, I have probably dozens of games at that level. Tactics Ogre, Suikoden 1 and 2, Lunar 1 and 2 CEs as well as the 2-disc version, etc. A bunch of stuff like that.

Factory Sealed Review copy of Dragon Warrior VII.

Thanks for reminding me, a sealed copy of that as well. Not a "review copy" but still pretty rare.

95% of what I own is mint, I rarely touch it. It's just the way I am. Nice to see some other collectors in this thread, some great stuff here.

Not much I suppose.. I have Radiant Silvergun, MGS 3 Subsistence LE.. I have a lot of uncommon things I suppose.. Kick Master for NES, Dragon Warrior 2-4, Wild Guns, Super Turrican 2, Final Fight 3 for SNES. Nothing spectacular.

FireCloud

I don't know. Is the PS1 black label version of Final Fantasy VII rare? I've got that. It isn't sealed though...I had to play it.

I also have two PS Move controllers. I heard at one time those were hard to find as well. ;-)

Oh, I forgot I've got a complete and mint copy of Rakugaki Showtime for PlayStation 1. I use to own every Treasure game but have since gotten rid of some of them.

Dr. Light

eXistor said:
What the hell? That's not rare at all, we get it in our shop all the time and sell it for like €13,-. Usually they're in crappy state, but still.

1. There you go.

2. It was released in stores in Europe. It was online-only here in the US.

I have a Halo: Reach poster signed by some of the guys at Bungie. Unfortunately, my memory is horrible and I can't remember what convention it was signed at. I want to say Comic-Con, but I'm not sure. :( Haha, anyway, I actually won it in a contest held on GAF. Won it from Devin Olsen. Thanks again! :)

I dont have anything particularly rare, but i do have FFX-2 and FF12 Collectors guides in good shape, as well as a sealed mgs3 soundtrack (that i one day hope to have signed). Otherwise its just like any other person in here who has a few games that are worth what you paid for them and the rest that have markedly depreciated in value.

Saturn Rayearth in English, Hikaru disc
Valkyrie Profile on PSone (Japanese and US versions) plus I still have the guide
MGS3 Subsistence LE
Ibara PS2
Mushihime-sama PS2 LE
Mushihime-sama soundtrack with Reko statue
FFVII Versus Books guide
FFVII original release, has the misprint on back with the "i" printed offset

I know I've got some other stuff that I'm forgetting, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Dr. Light

FireCloud said:
I don't know. Is the PS1 black label version of Final Fantasy VII rare?

It is if it's in mint condition. That's the key. Most people don't take care of their games.

Here's a tip. Learn the ol' case-swapping trick. I've done it many times - bought a black label game from Ebay, then swapped the case with a pristine GH version. Instant mint copy! Of course, you still need the manual and discs in good condition, because you can't swap them (maybe the manual, for some games like FF7 and Legend of Dragoon).

I've got a few for the Saturn, Radiant Silvergun, soukyugurentai, Elevator Action Returns, Thunderforce IV. Got a few more that I can't remember off the top of my head. I should get shot of them all as I haven't played them in years :>(

olimpia84

thomaser said:

I have lots of other goodies too, but this is the only one I have a photo of.

The one thing I really wish I had: Earthbound CIB. I've never played an Earthbound/Mother-game.

You win. This is the holy grail of gaming.

FireCloud

Dr. Light said:
It is if it's in mint condition. That's the key. Most people don't take care of their games.

Here's a tip. Learn the ol' case-swapping trick. I've done it many times - bought a black label game from Ebay, then swapped the case with a pristine GH version. Instant mint copy! Of course, you still need the manual and discs in good condition, because you can't swap them (maybe the manual, for some games like FF7 and Legend of Dragoon).

Thanks for the advice. The case inserts and disks are in great condition. The case, not so much. Also, the manual is AWOL. I bought it to play and will probably keep it until I don't have a device that can play it.

Oh...I also remembered that I have a quarter from the 80's that didn't go into an Omega Race or Defender game at the arcade. I know THAT has to be rare because all of my other quarters were lost to those beasts. ;-)

thomaser

Other things I have:

Two games signed by Miyamoto. One NES Zelda (Spaceworld 2000) and one NES Super Mario Bros. (London 2002). I haven't seen the Zelda cart for years, though... I'm afraid someone stole it, or perhaps it got thrown away when I moved out from my parents'.

Prototype versions of a couple of unreleased games. Echo Delta for the N64 and a Steven Seagal game for SNES. I don't know if the latter works anymore - last time I tried it, the SNES stopped working. I also have some prototype versions of released games, like Bugs Bunny and Deja Vu (Famicom - they come in really weirdly shaped carts), B.O.B. for the SNES, Boxxle for the GB and Pikachu for the N64 (the microphone-game).

Three SNES competition cartridges. Starwing Competition Cartridge and Star Fox Super Weekend (they're the same, only the first is PAL and the second NTSC), and a Donkey Kong Country Competition Cartridge (PAL).

Around 20 limited edition systems, especially GBs of all kinds. Four GBC-systems that are unique. They were customized by known artists and bought at a charity auction many years ago. And a unique custom F-Zero Gamecube, which was also bought at a charity auction.

Some unlicensed stuff for the NES. The best is the Aladdin Deck Enhancer complete with all the games.

A few old Nintendo toys. A Love Tester, an Automatic Ulstrascope, a pocket roulette, a red cube-puzzle-thingy, an Ultra Machine, and some Hanafuda cards.

Nearly all PAL NES-games, including rare ones like Mr. Gimmick (I have 3, two of them complete), Rodland and Devil World.

All released Virtual Boy-games except Virtua Bowling. All of them CIB.

Random stuff like test carts, strange Famicom peripherals like the 3D system, Basic system and modem, 15 Gamecube store demo disks, a kimono adorned with Nintendo figures, a Pokémon Pikachu N64 system, a Pokémon Mini system with all games, a huge black box filled with DS-systems that was used in stores a few years ago to send game demos to customers, a Sufami Turbo (an add-on to the Super Famicom that let you use tiny special carts made by Bandai), an unopened Nintendo Cereal, a Twin Famicom, a Photopi for the N64, a sonar for the GB (used for finding fish)...

pr0cs

I had to order the Gears toys from Australia, they came but were damaged and the retailer basically cut me loose and said I was on my own or to talk to the manufacturer.
I still think they're great, I'd love to get the rest of them but these 4 alone cost me over $120 shipped.

My wife would kill me if she knew how much I paid for toys but after reading the books I NEEDED to get the toys for my work office.

2011-06-02%25252013.11.09.jpg

Top Bottom