• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki: I expect individual backers to provide the majority of funds for Shenmue

I did, and I'm out of here. Have fun belittling people

There is nothing you have said that garnered that kind of response.

I've also questioned this whole thing and because of the way it was handled, I won't be putting my money in, even though I'm a Shenmue fan. It's my decision in the end. Is this concerned trolling? Apparently to some it is, waiting for the belittling and insults.

I really want to back the game as well, but I have never been a backer.

Does the money you donate toward the project taken out of your bank account right after you donate or when the funding date is passed?

hohoXD123

There is nothing you have said that garnered that kind of response.

I've also questioned this whole thing and because of the way it was handled, I won't be putting my money in, even though I'm a Shenmue fan. It's my decision in the end. Is this concerned trolling? Apparently to some it is, waiting for the belittling and insults.

In what way was this mismanaged so badly that even now that things are slightly clearer you, as a fan of a series which was dead a week ago, aren't going to contribute to its revival? I can understand being swept up in the bs clickbait articles at the start of the project, but what's the reason now? I'm genuinely curious.

Krejlooc has been tossing insults and belittling people the past week since this announcement.

He's also a pretty horrible person if you take in his quotes:

You're being ridiculous with those quotes.

IrishNinja

never cared about a thing Polygon had to say, damn sure not gonna start now

also people coming at Krejlooc, for real? he's been about the biggest advocate of this whole effort

This just doesn't make sense, as dreamcast fans went to Xbox and Xbox fans got both games, leets put a game out on kickstarter only for PC/PS4 fans. but whatever, I still get it on PC.

DC fans went to all 3 systems, let's not play this game. yes sega had a wave of DC ports early in the xbox but most sadly sold like butt & the deal kinda fell through, so acting like things nearly a decade and a half ago should affect this makes even less sense

i could just as easily & pointlessly argue that 2 didn't come out here because of MS' deal sabotaging the system's swan song etc but truth is, MS had all that time to help/secure this and didn't, sony did

You are high if you think that Sony will spend 25-30 million marketing this game. It will be sent out to die with minimal marketing support from Sega or Sony. The game will sell maybe 750,000 units, end on a cliff hanger and you'll be left begging for a sequel for the next 10 years.

man, what a negative post...dude needs to #BELIEVE

But I want all that extra stuff.

: (

we all do man, but if cuts gotta be made for overall quality, ill be okay with less lucky hit, haha

To be fair, we don't know how a Shenmue game will sell on a successful platform. There were only a few million Dreamcasts out there by the time Shenmue was released worldwide. Shenmue II didn't even get a worldwide release on Dreamcast, and the console was on its last legs at that point anyways. And there were only about 5 million Xboxes sold by the time Shenmue II released on that console.

In contrast, there could be as many as 50 million PS4s sold by winter 2017.

this is a great post, didn't even consider this. DC was sadly struggling and xbox was both early on & largely unsuccessful, so this will be a first

I really don't think the lack of an Xbox One version is hurting things much at all. I bet the average Shenmue fan is about 25-35 years old, and can afford more than one console, or a gaming PC.

amen

It's really disheartening seeing this smear campaign, and so-called fans backing out because of misreporting

much like the "no physical, no buy" Yakuza 5 crowd: they aren't really fans

Probably correct, but if nothing else, announcing it for Xbox One would have stopped Microsoft fans from actively attempting to sabotage the Kickstarter.

this is such a strange post

Shenmue should not be held hostage

the mental gymnastics required for a spin like this are impressive, if nothing else

I am so disappointed in both the apparent greed from one side and the worthless hating from the other. Y'all should be ashamed.

=(

Sadly, I feel such a stigma to this campaign and I almost want to pull out.

i really don't get this at all - we're getting Shenmue III. everything else is details, and i'm not even remotely seeing the greed.

It's true
Polygon saw that it wasn't coming Xbox One and started spewing bullshit about "special funding" and "shady deals"

masked port begging is really not gonna stop this from happening to any real extent, thankfully

Aspiring

Just a question that may have been asked im the AMA. The 2 extra locations shown in the kickstarter video, will they be in the game, and than strech goals added for things to do like baisha village, or will we need to kickstarter them to be in the game at all?

TheYanger

Eh, I don't think it's that confusing. I've been a huge Shenmue fan forever, I mean I'm one of the guys that bought it day 1 on dreamcast and bought the second game day one on Xbox, now we're essentially being told that I need to buy a PS4 if I want to play it on a console (which I would prefer), which would be one thing if it weren't a freaking kickstarter. The game is getting made, and now I've got to play it on my PC (not my preference for this type of game) or god forbid if I weren't a PC gamer as well. That doesn't sit well with me, even if Sony footed some of the bill - the vast majority is coming from us in the public, so I think it's understandable that people are a bit miffed.

As it is, I'm just not going to pledge. I'll play the game because I want to finish this thing out and I love the old games, but it feels like a bit of a gut punch for the console war to affect a franchise that SHOULD be platform agnostic, way beyond just timed exclusivity (which is bullshit but is not remotely as bad). Make no mistake, Sony doesn't 'care' about the game like some people are trying to pass off, if they had actual feelings about it they would just publish it themselves and make it the masterpiece it should be at that 10 million level. Instead they're riding the hype train from E3 while we fund the damn thing ourselves. They're not some grand saviors by any stretch, this game would have been kickstarted in some fashion whether Sony existed or not.

Eh, I don't think it's that confusing. I've been a huge Shenmue fan forever, I mean I'm one of the guys that bought it day 1 on dreamcast and bought the second game day one on Xbox, now we're essentially being told that I need to buy a PS4 if I want to play it on a console (which I would prefer), which would be one thing if it weren't a freaking kickstarter. The game is getting made, and now I've got to play it on my PC (not my preference for this type of game) or god forbid if I weren't a PC gamer as well. That doesn't sit well with me, even if Sony footed some of the bill - the vast majority is coming from us in the public, so I think it's understandable that people are a bit miffed.

As it is, I'm just not going to pledge. I'll play the game because I want to finish this thing out and I love the old games, but it feels like a bit of a gut punch for the console war to affect a franchise that SHOULD be platform agnostic, way beyond just timed exclusivity (which is bullshit but is not remotely as bad). Make no mistake, Sony doesn't 'care' about the game like some people are trying to pass off, if they had actual feelings about it they would just publish it themselves and make it the masterpiece it should be at that 10 million level. Instead they're riding the hype train from E3 while we fund the damn thing ourselves. They're not some grand saviors by any stretch, this game would have been kickstarted in some fashion whether Sony existed or not.
Again, and this is the question I'll keep asking, why should Sony or Sega or, hell, anyone, foot the bill for a game that has LOST money on the two platforms it was previously on? The reason it didn't get made isn't because no one cared, it's because it didn't make money. You don't keep repeating the same thing and expect a different result, it had 2 (3, really) chances and it never worked. Providing limited support for a franchise they don't own, for a game that will lose money regardless of the KS, is more than anyone else has done for the franchise in the past 15 years.

TheYanger

Again, and this is the question I'll keep asking, why should Sony or Sega or, hell, anyone, foot the bill for a game that has LOST money on the two platforms it was previously on? The reason it didn't get made isn't because no one cared, it's because it didn't make money. You don't keep repeating the same thing and expect a different result, it had 2 (3, really) chances and it never worked. Providing limited support for a franchise they don't own, for a game that will lose money regardless of the KS, is more than anyone else has done for the franchise in the past 15 years.

Except for all the people ACTUALLY backing the game on the kickstarter...
I want Shenmue 3, but I'm not backing a game that isn't coming to a console I don't own. Period. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that exact boat, you don't have to like it but you can't fault that logic.

When was Shenmue ever platform agnostic. lol

When Sega got out of the hardware business? If you want to be pedantic about it Sony and Nintendo are the only platforms it HASNT been on before, so why would it go there? but to put it much more simply, there is no expectation that Sony would go and foot the bill for a Sega series, and they still basically aren't - yet we're losing multiplat status because of their relatively insignificant influence.

Anyway, you want to know why people that want the game may not back it - there you go. That's why. I'll get to play it anyway on PC and I can have my 'fanboy' stance upheld by not giving them any money, and you guys can continue to torch and pitchfork everyone out of every shenmue thread that isn't firmly in your camp.

console wars

it's inevitable and unavoidable

you cant expect sony and ms fans to play nice with each other

this is serious business
I don't like Shenmue at all and I still backed it. I hope to support a game that will make many dreams come true.

I'm not a fan of the Xbox one but if Skies of Arcadia 2 was kickstarted for it I would pledge.

To me the game takes precedence over console wars.

Sony should just back this fully and make sure this is the final chapter. I don't think it would be fair to release a minimal sequel and then not have the support for further instalments. Just finish off the story yu!

I want Shenmue 3, but I'm not backing a game that isn't coming to a console I don't own. Period. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that exact boat, you don't have to like it but you can't fault that logic.

I can't fault it and can't say I disagree with it, but you already said PC was an option, you'd prefer to play it on a console you own, but you have a totally viable option in PC. I'd prefer to play Cuphead on my PS4, but that's not an option for me either and I don't even like playing games on PC, full stop. I'll deal with it.

I'm not going to pitchfork anyone, if you don't want to back it, you don't have to.

flattie

Why would Sony care about anything? It's not a person. There will be people inside Sony who don't care about the game in any other sense than a business one. There will be people who do care about the game because they are gamers. There will be those that sit somewhere on a spectrum between the two. The only thing that matters is that they are the only publisher who have done anything to support YS in bringing this game closer to reality.

For fans, the choice is simple: If you want Shenmue 3 to be as good as it can be, you need to pledge money. That is the simple fact. Two weeks ago, Shenmue was meme fodder - now it is happening. Support it or don't.

IrishNinja

sony takes big risk on something no one touched for a decade and a half, expects a return of some kind, ruin everything

They're not some grand saviors by any stretch, this game would have been kickstarted in some fashion whether Sony existed or not.

yet it took till 2015 and the building the list effort to make it happen, just like Yakuza 5
ya'll can't really be missing this. we barely got this, and without sony, there's zero chance.

When was Shenmue ever platform agnostic. lol

everyone who's followed it knows this, haha

TheYanger

I can't fault it and can't say I disagree with it, but you already said PC was an option, you'd prefer to play it on a console you own, but you have a totally viable option in PC. I'd prefer to play Cuphead on my PS4, but that's not an option for me either and I don't even like playing games on PC, full stop. I'll deal with it.

I'm not going to pitchfork anyone, if you don't want to back it, you don't have to.
Exactly my point, i'm not going to and the reason is valid, as it is for everyone. As far as why I bring it up? Because you get so much shit in these threads like this:
Why would Sony care about anything? It's not a person. There will be people inside Sony who don't care about the game in any other sense than a business one. There will be people who do care about the game because they are gamers. There will be those that sit somewhere on a spectrum between the two. The only thing that matters is that they are the only publisher who have done anything to support YS in bringing this game closer to reality.

For fans, the choice is simple: If you want Shenmue 3 to be as good as it can be, you need to pledge money. That is the simple fact. Two weeks ago, Shenmue was meme fodder - now it is happening. Support it or don't.

Acting as though everyone that isn't supporting the game is doing some huge disservice to the gaming world, or that Sony is benevolent. We have NO idea if Sony is the only studio that would have made this deal, for all we know it got pitched and accepted almost instantly, what we do know is they don't give enough of a shit to do anything beyond START a kickstarter that forces the fans to pay for most of the game - I suspect tons of publishers would ahve bitten with that offer on the table, which leads me to assume they simply got first bat at it anyway, but that's neither here nor there.
I want Shenmue 3 to be as good as it can be.
I also want to play it on a console I own.

Since I cannot have both of those things, I'm not going to pledge money. If you want Xbox users like me to pledge money it would PROBABLY have made more sense for the game to be coming to the console (and that's a rhetorical statement, I understand that Sony is spending money on this in the here and now). It's not port begging or anything else, it's clearly not going anywhere but PS4 and PC for the forseable future, but you can't expect people to be happy about a game coming out for one platform and not the other when the platform holder is doing only the bare minimum amount of work in regards to funding. It's very easy to imagine a dozen other scenarios where the kickstarter was 'backed' by another publisher and came out to all systems.

This is the entire reason the 'backers are providing the majority of the funding' quote is so divisive, it makes it perfectly clear that Sony is not exactly a huge part of this deal monetarily.

sony takes big risk on something no one touched for a decade and a half, expects a return of some kind, ruin everything
They're NOT taking a big risk though. It's a fucking kickstarter, are you serious?

yet it took till 2015 and the building the list effort to make it happen, just like Yakuza 5
ya'll can't really be missing this. we barely got this, and without sony, there's zero chance.
It took until crowd funding was big, make no mistake that it's only because of kickstarter that this is happening. Like I said, I GUARANTEE you that if Sony had said 'no' someone else would have said yes when it comes to barely spending any money upfront on a Shenmue kickstarter (which we know they did at this point).

everyone who's followed it knows this, haha
Yeah, LMAO get that xbot bro.

FOLLOWED WHAT? The game has come out on Dreamcast and Xbox, but the dreamcast releases were (obviously) before Sega was third party, and the xbox release was right after that, when Sega was releasing basically ALL of their Dreamcast style games on Xbox exclusively. Do you think anyone expected it would still just be an Xbox game because of that? I don't. Ergo, it is now in a place of platform agnosticism for the past nearly 15 years. Holy shit, stuff's hard to figure out. We've had no reason to believe it was tied to any platform until literally half a week ago.

Theonik

When Sega got out of the hardware business? If you want to be pedantic about it Sony and Nintendo are the only platforms it HASNT been on before, so why would it go there? but to put it much more simply, there is no expectation that Sony would go and foot the bill for a Sega series, and they still basically aren't - yet we're losing multiplat status because of their relatively insignificant influence.
So it went from an exclusive for one platform to another. And that's somehow being platform agnostic. SEGA didn't really start being a platform agnostic publisher until the previous generation of consoles.

I'm sorry but I'll be blunt. If you are not backing this, and especially are doing it because it's not on your [insert platform choice] you aren't really contributing anything to this campaign.
You can't then go around complaining about it at all. This is the only way this was happening, you either put up or shut up. Nobody, and especially Sony owes you or this game anything.
Also I don't like going into 'True Scotsman' sorts of arguments, but if you claim to be a fan, have access to a platform that can play this game then refuse to back this because console wars then well, I do question your motivation.
Of course in the end of the day it's your choice. Some games are not on some platforms for X-Y reasons. Deal with it. *shrug*

Edit: If you are really honest about intending to buy it when it's out, why not just back it for a digital PC tier for $29 and actually contribute?

IrishNinja

They're NOT taking a big risk though. It's a fucking kickstarter, are you serious?

we don't know the exact specifics, we have ideas - and we certainly don't know what it took to get everyone on suzuki's team back, as well as sega's super risk-averse asses to let this happen.
yes, i'm dead serious. if this was easy, why didn't MS/nintendo/etc do this in, again, the last nearly decade and a half?

It took until crowd funding was big, make no mistake that it's only because of kickstarter that this is happening. Like I said, I GUARANTEE you that if Sony had said 'no' someone else would have said yes when it comes to barely spending any money upfront on a Shenmue kickstarter (which we know they did at this point).

you're literally basing this on nothing. people clammored forever, and this is what it took. history's very much on my side here man.

Yeah, LMAO get that xbot bro.

where it ported to & did disappointing #'s on another failed system, by MS' criteria. this literally has nothing to do with you clearly port begging several gens later.

FOLLOWED WHAT? The game has come out on Dreamcast and Xbox, but the dreamcast releases were (obviously) before Sega was third party, and the xbox release was right after that, when Sega was releasing basically ALL of their Dreamcast style games on Xbox exclusively. Do you think anyone expected it would still just be an Xbox game because of that? I don't. Ergo, it is now in a place of platform agnosticism for the past nearly 15 years. Holy shit, stuff's hard to figure out. We've had no reason to believe it was tied to any platform until literally half a week ago.

if it was gonna happen, sega needed backing form someone else. we're lucky its coming to PC in some ways.
also, you're pretty condescending for someone making such a terrible post.

PS: DC projects went to PS2 and GC as well.

I'm sorry but I'll be blunt. If you are not backing this, and especially are doing it because it's not on your [insert platform choice] you aren't really contributing anything to this campaign.
You can't then go around complaining about it at all. This is the only way this was happening, you either put up or shut up. Nobody, and especially Sony owes you or this game anything.
Also I don't like going into 'True Scotsman' sorts of arguments, but if you claim to be a fan, have access to a platform that can play this game then refuse to back this because console wars then well, I do question your motivation.
Of course in the end of the day it's your choice. Some games are not on some platforms for X-Y reasons. Deal with it. *shrug*

amen, well said

Chaos17

Just a reminder of what we know so far : fight the backlash!

CIByOEiXAAAf_c1.png:large

TheYanger

So it went from an exclusive for one platform to another. And that's somehow being platform agnostic. SEGA didn't really start being a platform agnostic publisher until the previous generation of consoles.

No, I never said I was 'contributing' to the campaign, but you guys can't take the stance in every thread about the game that you need to either spend money on it or aren't allowed to speak about it. Fuck that nonsense. I'm not spending money on it and those are the reasons why. I get that it's not coming to platform X-Y, I am dealing with it, by not giving them any money. Lots of other people are doing the same, why does it upset you so much?

I'm not spending money for the right to complain, just like spending money doesn't give you the right to be holier than thou in all regards to Shenmue. If Yu Suzuki wanted my money he could've done things differently, he didn't and I'm fine with that, albeit disappointed.

linkent

No, I never said I was 'contributing' to the campaign, but you guys can't take the stance in every thread about the game that you need to either spend money on it or aren't allowed to speak about it. Fuck that nonsense. I'm not spending money on it and those are the reasons why. I get that it's not coming to platform X-Y, I am dealing with it, by not giving them any money. Lots of other people are doing the same, why does it upset you so much?

I'm not spending money for the right to complain, just like spending money doesn't give you the right to be holier than thou in all regards to Shenmue. If Yu Suzuki wanted my money he could've done things differently, he didn't and I'm fine with that, albeit disappointed.

How do you plan on porting this to Xbox without support from MS? When the funding from KS is not even enough to make a full experience.

How much do they need to pay MS to make this game on their platform?
How much can Xbox owner contribute to cover these payment?
Fact is there are many calculations about cost and product.
Is not just a simple Copy-Pasting.

If there are anything to blame, blame it on MS for their ZERO contribution on this. Not Sony who at least HELP in this project.
Thats why if you are not helping, get out and dont make other people feel sceptical about this like Polygon does.
Screaming Scam and etc.

Theonik

No, by not spending money on this campaign you basically just forfeit your right to claim to be a fan of the series in my eyes. To me it tells me you care less about the fate of the game than the platform it's on. Again, if you aren't contributing that's fine. No-one is forcing you. You have every right to complain about it to. But you are contradicting yourself. So are you still getting the game at launch for PC yes? If so why not back at the $29 digital PC tier? Unless you aren't actually intending to buy it.

Wow, I didn't see this thread until now. Yeah, I was under the impression that Sony was going to bankroll a lot of development funds. Now that I know it's mostly going to be KS funds, count me out. Make no mistake, the development here is going to be a massive undertaking and that's not worth the risk to me, it'll just lead to frustration later.

Also, I know a lot of people aren't going to listen to me, but just some advice here: get rid of that png poster from the OP [edit- "those png posters" since I'm seeing more than one now]. Keep discussing the game and it will naturally draw in more people interested in it. Those pngs looks like the damn Time Cube website, all it's doing is putting people off, you look like another bunch of internet crazies with a weird agenda.

Another thing- do we know what's going on with the whole "open world" thing?? Does he mean it's going to become open world on the scale of the GTA games or it'll be the type of open world we saw in the previous Shenmue titles? Either way, the open world is what drew me to Shenmue in the first place, so if that experience is contingent on getting enough funding, then this game doesn't seem like something I'm going to enjoy.

flattie

Acting as though everyone that isn't supporting the game is doing some huge disservice to the gaming world, or that Sony is benevolent.

Wrong. I'm making the point that as a fan your choice is limited to supporting it via KS or not. Neither am I painting Sony as benevolent (read my words).

We have NO idea if Sony is the only studio that would have made this deal, for all we know it got pitched and accepted almost instantly, what we do know is they don't give enough of a shit to do anything beyond START a kickstarter that forces the fans to pay for most of the game -

Correct. We have no idea. All we know is that Sony has fronted up something. We don't know what, but it is something real. There's nothing wrong with forcing the fans to put their money where their mouths are seeing as it's only the fans that want this. It probably won't sell massive numbers; it's a game for fans of a long-dead IP born on a long-dead system. Why would any publisher back it fully on the promise of limited sales alone?

I want Shenmue 3 to be as good as it can be.
I also want to play it on a console I own.

Since I cannot have both of those things, I'm not going to pledge money. If you want Xbox users like me to pledge money it would PROBABLY have made more sense for the game to be coming to the console (and that's a rhetorical statement, I understand that Sony is spending money on this in the here and now). It's not port begging or anything else, it's clearly not going anywhere but PS4 and PC for the forseable future, but you can't expect people to be happy about a game coming out for one platform and not the other when the platform holder is doing only the bare minimum amount of work in regards to funding. It's very easy to imagine a dozen other scenarios where the kickstarter was 'backed' by another publisher and came out to all systems.

This is the entire reason the 'backers are providing the majority of the funding' quote is so divisive, it makes it perfectly clear that Sony is not exactly a huge part of this deal monetarily.

I don't expect you to be happy. I don't expect anything of you.

The fact that you own a platform that it is coming out for undermines you pain and grief argument quite significantly. That it isn't the one you want is a shame, but in your shoes, I'd just be happy that Shenmue 3 is a thing. I'd be happy that I could support it. I'd be happy that I own a platform on which I can play it. If I was in your shoes. I'm not though, it is clearly your prerogative to hold an opinion and that's cool.

Tbh I think people just expect it, gamers want to be catered too. You look on the other side of the fence and you see Nintendo funding things like W101, Bayo 2, and Devils Third and then you look at Sony and they cant even pony up 10mil to fund Shenmue 3 which is infinitely more popular than the other 3 games(well maybe not Bayo but im not sure). People see these companies as huge money pools and just question "its only 10 million why not?" "If Nintendo and Microsoft can pay for their exclusives why cant Sony?" etc. etc.

Its interesting to see though, cause with the games like W101, Bayo 2, and Devils Third or well pretty much any WiiU game the story was/is always "its going to bomb, it'll never make money being a Nintendo exclusive" yet Nintendo funded them anyway and here Shenmue is "it lost money why would they want to fund it." Not saying that its wrong though as the logic is sound, no one wants to waste money. But again people will just see these companies as giants with money to spend.

I personally dont support the kickstarter route this is taking solely for everything thats transpired over the past week but if its the only way the game can be made so be it.

Theonik

Also, I know a lot of people aren't going to listen to me, but just some advice here: get rid of that png poster from the OP [edit- "those png posters" since I'm seeing more than one now]. Keep discussing the game and it will naturally draw in more people interested in it. Those pngs looks like the damn Time Cube website, all it's doing is putting people off, you look like another bunch of internet crazies with a weird agenda.
Yeah, I can't comment on the rest but these posters are even putting ME off. Can we stop. Please.

IrishNinja

No, by not spending money on this campaign you basically just forfeit your right to claim to be a fan of the series in my eyes. To me it tells me you care less about the fate of the game than the platform it's on

ding ding ding

Another thing- do we know what's going on with the whole "open world" thing?? Does he mean it's going to become open world on the scale of the GTA games or it'll be the type of open world we saw in the previous Shenmue titles? Either way, the open world is what drew me to Shenmue in the first place, so if that experience is contingent on getting enough funding, then this game doesn't seem like something I'm going to enjoy.

it's very much the former - we've got details/an image floating about, but you're out either way.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Wow, I didn't see this thread until now. Yeah, I was under the impression that Sony was going to bankroll a lot of development funds. Now that I know it's mostly going to be KS funds, count me out. Make no mistake, the development here is going to be a massive undertaking and that's not worth the risk to me, it'll just lead to frustration later.

I do not really agree with your logic, but I guess I can see your cynical point of view there. Still, open world in the $10 million stretch goal is probably beyond what the limited connected world Shenmue I and II offered. You could not compare it to a GTA V for example.

Anyways, as a fan of the series, who always pestered Sony, SEGA, Suzuki, etc... in the limited ways gaming fans can, I decide to put my money where my mouth is and help the game get made and spread the word of mouth. I do trust Suzuki and the people giving him support now.

benzy

Yes, those posters filled with text look like ads flashing in your face telling you to click it only to then send you a virus. It'd be a lot better if someone created it sort of like an OT for gaf.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I personally dont support the kickstarter route this is taking solely for everything thats transpired over the past week but if its the only way the game can be made so be it.

I do not get what transpired over the past week beyond Fear Uncertainty and Despair... Honest question: what is putting you off this KS?

Does anyone know why Xbox One isn't targeted at all? Sony is footing the bill for the PS4 port but is there any reason why the XB1 version isn't at the very least a stretch goal? It seems like a straightforward way of drawing in more pledges. Hell, throw in WiiU in there too!

IrishNinja

I do not get what transpired over the past week beyond Fear Uncertainty and Despair... Honest question: what is putting you off this KS?

some people found out sony might be doing something to help out (advertising, etc) and were off put by the fact this won't be available for the 3DO/ngage/etc

others likewise found out sony won't be fully funding it and despite wanting to see this game happen thought that $29 for said game was too much because it needs money to be larger in scope and nuts to that

some folks (read: kuchera) at polygonz realized this industry completely lacks transparency and the fact hat sony won't reveal the full details of this deal in a way sure to piss off others interested in/having approached with other projects means it's shady acres all around

basically shenmue 3 is happening and it's clearly sony's fault and somehow that's terrible

Does anyone know why Xbox One isn't targeted at all? Sony is footing the bill for the PS4 port but is there any reason why the XB1 version isn't at the very least a stretch goal? It seems like a straightforward way of drawing in more pledges. Hell, throw in WiiU in there too!

isn't suzuki publishing? why raise the costs of a niche project higher for companies not interested in seeing this project happen?

What? That can't be true.

Well, they said the "investment" (whatever that entails) is going to come primarily from backers, so that's why they came to the conclusion that Sony's giving less than $2 mil.

I think they only intended that statement to mean for development costs. I figure Sony's going to give them a lot more, they're probably handling advertising or something since that would obviously benefit them as the game is not available on XBONE.

isn't suzuki publishing? why raise the costs of a niche project higher for companies not interested in seeing this project happen?

I'm not talking about raising costs. Set the XB1 and even WiiU version as a stretch goal , many other kickstarted games have used potential console versions as stretch goals. Set it at the amount that would be necessary to port and publish the game on those platforms. That way you'll surely get more pledges and completely avoid any insinuation that Sony has bought exclusivity.

Theonik

Fear uncertainty and despair would be my guess!

I can understand your concerns. I would still suggest that you keep your pledge until right before the end if they don't address your concerns. From what I understand external backing will probably step in so you should be quite safe from the game running out of money and they will probably find a way to otherwise finance it as happened with other big KS.
So where does the KS amount matter count then? Well, with your pledge you are helping dictate the size of the game, your money isn't everything the project is getting but it matters.

gconsole

Tbh I think people just expect it, gamers want to be catered too. You look on the other side of the fence and you see Nintendo funding things like W101, Bayo 2, and Devils Third and then you look at Sony and they cant even pony up 10mil to fund Shenmue 3 which is infinitely more popular than the other 3 games(well maybe not Bayo but im not sure). People see these companies as huge money pools and just question "its only 10 million why not?" "If Nintendo and Microsoft can pay for their exclusives why cant Sony?" etc. etc.

Its interesting to see though, cause with the games like W101, Bayo 2, and Devils Third or well pretty much any WiiU game the story was/is always "its going to bomb, it'll never make money being a Nintendo exclusive" yet Nintendo funded them anyway and here Shenmue is "it lost money why would they want to fund it." Not saying that its wrong though as the logic is sound, no one wants to waste money. But again people will just see these companies as giants with money to spend.

Shenmue. While being more popular than those 3 games, it also come with higher risk. It might cost as much as all those 3 games combine + Shenmue never make profit + Sony is not in the position to financially support every game + Sony itself already has more than enough 3rd party support. With all these reasons im not even sure why would Sony care about Shenmue at all. Let alone giving it free money.

I'm not talking about raising costs. Set the XB1 and even WiiU version as a stretch goal...

Release on the WiiU?!?!?!?! Are you crazy!? Don't you remember what happened when they released the originals on the Dreamcast!??!!!!

/sorry, I couldn't help myself. But be real, XBONE/WiiU is obviously impossible, why would Sony throw money at a game could end up on their competitor's console??

Sony should just back this fully and make sure this is the final chapter. I don't think it would be fair to release a minimal sequel and then not have the support for further instalments. Just finish off the story yu!

Yuck. We're just starting the story. Having it rushed in Shenmue III is a no go. Go big or go home. I want the original vision - even if I have to wait another 20 years!

Top Bottom