• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoë Quinn writes on games industry's reaction to harassment "Risky Business"

You know, maybe it's just me being naive and not understanding this whole situation, but I was under the impression that Zoe Quinn was disliked and hated NOT because she was a woman, but because of that whole cheating/sleeping around scandal. The 2 seem to have molded together in recent months thanks to the media and weird white-knighting posts equating the two in relation to her.

As I said, I'm ignorant on the subject but that's how it appears to me as an outsider.

White knighting, huh?

Fuuuuuuuck you.

Tapejara

You know, maybe it's just me being naive and not understanding this whole situation, but I was under the impression that Zoe Quinn was disliked and hated NOT because she was a woman, but because of that whole cheating/sleeping around scandal. The 2 seem to have molded together in recent months thanks to the media and weird white-knighting posts equating the two in relation to her.

As I said, I'm ignorant on the subject but that's how it appears to me as an outsider.

The sleeping around stuff (despite being none of our business), is tied to her being a woman. Look how much vitrol she's had thrown her way compared to Grayson.

White knighting, huh?

Fuuuuuuuck you.

At least no one's dropped SJW yet.

They get conflated because besides that cheating story being proven over and over as an overblown non-story from a jilted boyfriend, gaters continue to harass not only her but the very inkling of any progressive talk about feminism and representation in gaming that pops its head, most viciously when it's out of the mouths of women in the industry.

It's because she's a woman. It's no coincidence that the foremost victims of harassment born from this sequence of events are woman. Critics were quick to discern it so they handled the offenders like the misogynists they were. Lol @ white knighting.

Sijil

She was hated because a bunch of insecure man children felt their hobby is being threatened by outsiders and started an entire Mccarthyian witch hunt against her or anyone who defended her, just because they have nothing better to do in life.

I mean who the hell cares if she cheated on her husband, it's her business in the end and none of ours, it's not like any of the GG losers can even get laid in the first place.

Tangentially, that's one of the roots of Gamergate right there. You have some people explaining how the culture excludes them and saying how they think that it should be improved. And you have others - most of which weren't even the intended audience - replying with "why are you getting in the way of my fun?"

Scanning over the thread, there was a post much earlier where someone asked when this would end. Hopefully it mostly dies down over time, but I'm not sure if it will go away completely. Look at, say, Christian Weston Chandler, the autistic guy who people have been cyberstalking and harassing for years. Some people don't seem to get bored of harassment, whether because they expect to get some new reaction or because new people stumble upon it and it's new to them.

A big issue is that a lot of people, Chrischan being possibly the prime example, have been deemed "acceptable targets" by the internet and are from that point on simply a weird cow to milk for entertainment.

Now I personally think it should be fine to be critical, even in a humorous way, of creative works or self-perpetuated media. But at the same time I see that (especially in the chan/ED corners of the internet) that a significant number of people absolutely
can't disconnect:

"Hey let's be critical of this person's product" & "Hey let's stalk this person/ruin this person's life/exploit this person".

Although the underlying moral indignity is for the most part shallow & mostly intended to take away any safety net for the victim, you do see in almost all of these cases that rampant harassment is almost always paired with many, many examples of
how the victim "Had it coming/is deserving" because of x, y and z. But the thing is ... when you combine obsessive stalking over several years + the willingness of harassers to skew seemingly innocuous events into something terrible,
you can make anyone look bad.

Back in the old GG thread I actually went out of my way to source nearly every single claim made about Zoe's "Bad behavior" & it was just a gish gallop of relatively mild and often harmless stuff being spun into this narrative of a doxxing, harassing manipulative monster.

The sad thing is ... it works, with almost all of these cases you have droves of people trying to point out how they're "bad too", or derailing a conversation about how harassment needs to be dealt with with how victim x, y and z had it coming.

weird white-knighting posts equating the two in relation to her.

Spoilers: Going around insinuating people are "White Knighting" a harassment victim isn't a good start to a subject you're ignorant on. That's an extremely loaded term.

White knighting, huh?

Fuuuuuuuck you.

Relax.

I'm on yours and her's side when it comes to this matter. As I said, I was ignorant on the situation and will take the corrections of people who quoted my post. I haven't kept up on any of this since that dude's blog post first came out way back when.

Apologies.

Interfectum

Feign ignorance yet state an opinion on the matter. Classic.

Reminds me of the Obama birther's line... "hey I'm not saying he wasn't born in this country, I'm just asking questions!"

Lyng

Why not name these companies not hiring her? If she's black listed why care to keep them concealed? Anyone can say "well no one will hire me cuz of internet drama".

Well, to be honest what good would that do?
Its not really important who does not want to hire her? Or even if the true reason is that she is just not as skilled as she thinks herself.
Quiet frankly I couldnt care less about her career. However! What I do care about is the fact that she is beeing harrassed in the way it has happened. I think I would have fled the industry long ago if I was in her shoes.
Her fighting to stay strong fills me with the utmost respect for her.

MYeager

You know, maybe it's just me being naive and not understanding this whole situation,

Yep.

Her post was a tough read, but I also think it's admirable for Alex Schiflitz(sp?) to have seen what was going on and made the decision to stay and try to help. It's sometimes hard to know what the right thing to do is, especially early on in any relationship, but I'm glad that he was and is continuing to not just help her but help others going through this bizarro garbage. To those who've made harassing her (or Sarkessian or anyone) a hobby, get a better hobby. I recommend video games.

Let's not pretend anyone would care if tomorrow it was revealed Konami had fired Kojima because he had been having orgies with goats at work while getting drugs injected in his eyeballs. He wouldn't be on the receiving end of such a campaign. It's happened because she's a woman and some people seem pretty fucking happy to punish women who aren't meeting their expectations of how a woman should behave.

If you want to make it about journalism, add Geoff Keighley to the goat fucking mix of my earlier analogy.

If you want to make it about facts, add the fact this was all entirely fabricated in the first place but told a narrative some people are more than willing to hear.

images

"I'm totally not involved with this at all but didn't Zoe Quinn cheat on everyone with the entire gaming press and aren't white knights involved too????"

None of what you said is true (the cheating thing was made up by her ex, who is a psychopath and is currently being sued/under restraining order), and if you don't know anything about the topic why are you opining on it?

mStudios

None of what you said is true (the cheating thing was made up by her ex, who is a psychopath and is currently being sued/under restraining order), and if you don't know anything about the topic why are you opining on it?

Because he might want to know/is curious about the subject?

I love NeoGAF. Seems like everywhere else I go, even otherwise seemingly sane websites, the nutbars come out to play any time this topic is brought up. To come here and see just about every single user get it warms my heart.

From: http://wiki.gamergate.me/index.php?title=Zoe_Quinn_Scandal

The Zoe Quinn Scandal revolves around online controversy surrounding indie game developer Zoe Quinn's alleged affair with a number of men working in the video game industry, including a writer at the Gawker-affiliated video game news site Kotaku and the Eurogamer affiliate RockPaperShotgun, supposedly in exchange for publicity for her and her 2014 text-based indie game Depression Quest.

This turned out to be false?

Then shouldn't he be asking actual questions? You know, instead of Fox News questions?

"I mean I heard this guy was a heroin addict and liked to kick puppies for fun... but that's just what I heard... I mean what's the real story here?"

Oersted

Feign ignorance yet state an opinion on the matter. Classic.

Reminds me of the Obama birther's line... "hey I'm not saying he wasn't born in this country, I'm just asking questions!"

They are always " just outsiders", always " just "asking questions", always " naive". Atleast they play pretend to look less malicious.

Nocturnal

Banned
So much hipocrisy in these posts...
Another "gamergate" thread, yeah, when will this shit stop so we can stop having these threads.

I'm not taking sides because both of them look like idiots to me, but fucking hell, some of you are just ridiculous.

I joined GAF for the game(s) (news) and the gifs, not for this.

inb4 "dont reply to the topic then"

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

then why wouldn't he educate himself befo-

so far I know, neither confirmed or denied.

ohhh

i see you.

Another "gamergate" thread, yeah, when will this shit stop so we can stop having these threads.

I'm not taking sides because both of them look like idiots to me, but fucking hell, some of you are just ridiculous.

deuces

Y'know there's actual rules on GAF about posting in threads just to announce you don't intend to join the discussion right?

When will they stop harassing her?

When she stops going on to social media to say stupid shit. She's not the only one, either. What do you expect would happen if you went to Twitter after ALREADY being a target for harassment, and then insulting an entire group of people? Stupidity got her here.

Gamergate is gaming related news. Zoe Quinn is a game developer. Game developers, creators, journalists, etc... are being harassed over this. If you came here for gaming news, congratulations, this is gaming news.

And like you said, if you want to shitpost, then don't reply to the topic. I doubt you're gonna last long around here.

If gaf operated that way, there would be less posts on a majority of topics.

Gaming would be ded.

There are numerous ways to learn about this that don't include exemplifying his or her own ignorance.

Like Wikipedia.

I know know anything about the topic or the guy. I just said that he might want to be curious, thats all.

we k b

This is games news. People care about this entire debacle. And I don't see how a girl trying to create games looks like an idiot in comparison to the multitudes of people sending her threats and harassment.

cirrhosis

how nice of you to shitpost in the thread then

account suicide attempt?

When she stops going on to social media to say stupid shit. She's not the only one, either. What do you expect would happen if you went to Twitter after ALREADY being a target for harassment, and then insulting an entire group of people? Stupidity got her here.

No Junior NOOOO

CookTrain

I would have thought, in a matter as cut and dry as this, even if someone is underhandedly "just asking questions", just providing answers would be the most productive approach.

When you mock and avoid the subject and provide no evidence in rebuttals, when it's so easily done... what impression is that supposed to give?

Just rebuke the guy and move on.

What stupid shit exactly? Why isn't a group devoted to snuffing out every discussion about representation and progress in games media not worthy of ridicule?

Look everyone, the sea lions have arrived!

mStudios

then why wouldn't he educate himself befo-

ohhh

i see you.

deuces

What's your point? You barely see me in this type of topics. I don't care about the matter. Last time i read about Zoe when all this controversy began. Nothing else.

And the reason I don't post on this type of topic, its because people start assuming thing that are not. Just like you.

So the best way to deal with a harassment mob built around silencing you & harassing you out of your profession is ... to just vanish and hope they stop?

cough

cirrhosis

I would have thought, in a matter as cut and dry as this, even if someone is underhandedly "just asking questions", just providing answers would be the most productive approach.

When you mock and avoid the subject and provide no evidence in rebuttals, when it's so easily done... what impression is that supposed to give?

Just rebuke the guy and move on.

Everything you ever wanted to know about GG, Zoe, Anita

There you go.

Mael

Oh I sense that we're going to need the Bingo card.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, never heard that before. Which are the "both" sides, pray tell?

You know, maybe it's just me being naive and not understanding this whole situation, but I was under the impression that

oh ffs

Dudes really? Do you never learn any new methods on how to handle a Gamergate related thread on KiA?

Alright, read the complete thing now, and it only gets worse and worse from the OPs quote. This whole thing makes me uncomfortable to admit I'm playing videogames at times. Didn't use the word "gamer" for ages now, and I tend to immediately think of harassment and Gamergate whenever I hear it. Which is a shame.

She had sex with him is seems. There is no evidence that she did it for that reason. He didn't write about the game. The game was free anyway.

Top Bottom