• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn wins the case against her ex-boyfriend (who started GamerGate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It got "censored" because it was a mess of people openly doxing people on top of posting libel.

People weren't doxxing immediately. That stuff didn't start till after the censoring. Very VERY early on there was a minor Reddit thread that was discussing a Totalbiscuit article on what was occurring and discussion was basically disallowed and all posts in the thread were deleted. As in, anyone who posted in the thread for any reason had their post deleted and could have also been banned. There was literally a mod bot that was set to heavy handedly deal with the 'situation'. Regardless of whether or not people were in line with the rules or not, I feel strongly that the complete destruction of that thread was very much the catalyst for what has happened. A lot of people looked at it and saw preferential treatment being given and naturally balked at it. And the front page of r/gaming is in front of a lot of people.

The remnants of the thread for those who forgot, almost 26k deleted comments:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2dz0gs/totalbiscuit_discusses_the_state_of_games/

Can someone explain why the user was banned for this post? Or point me in the right direction.
Because gamergate is a cancer on gaming and the Internet that has already done irrefutable damage to the image of gaming as a hobby. It has spread to almost every other forum and online game and the moderators of NeoGAF work very hard to keep it from spreading here. Anyone who appears to show symptom of gamergate are thus banned immediately, including people like you that seem to be in the first stages of Just Asking Questions. It might not seem fair but that's too bad. This is a private website and they can do whatever they want. No one is banned for having certain opinions on NeoGAF. It's just there are certain opinions that only certain types of people have, and those types of people are not wanted here.

Azih

If anyone is genuinely wondering then repeating false accusations is a terrible thing to do whether it is in question form or not.

People weren't doxxing immediately. That stuff didn't start till after the censoring.
Early GamerGate participants may not been doxxing from the get-go, but they were spreading around the "Zoe Post", which is as much an invasion of privacy as any doxx you can think of, if not more so. What place is there for something like that in a gaming forum, and is it not exactly the kind of thing that any responsible forum moderator should remove on sight?

Ucchedavāda;204276391 said:
Early GamerGate participants may not been doxxing from the get-go, but they were spreading around the "Zoe Post", which is as much an invasion of privacy as any doxx you can think of, if not more so. What place is there for something like that in a gaming forum, and is it not exactly the kind of thing that any responsible forum moderator should remove on sight?

I'm still confused as to why r/gaming didn't remove the thread outright if they had such a big issue with it.

Menitta

I just came to say I hate the term GamerGate. It's not nearly descriptive enough about what the issue is. The "gate" terms usually refer to scandals but what will people use when the next gaming related scandal happens? GamerGate 2?

Gamergate 2: The Revenge

I'm sorry. I have nothing to add. Just glad there's a win for Zoe after all the crap she's been through.

but that's WHAT they did, I don't understand the why. I just don't get it. how could this blow up so big if the initial incident proved to be false so soon? I just feel like I'm missing something.
Because they're bitter, angry misogynists.

but that's WHAT they did, I don't understand the why. I just don't get it. how could this blow up so big if the initial incident proved to be false so soon? I just feel like I'm missing something.

because facts don't matter to gators, all that matters is the attack

You need to learn that your opinion, even cinical or sarcastic isn't accepted on this forum. In every thread no matter the subject neogaf only accepts one view and not conforming isn't accepted.

You seem to dislike it here, so I guess you being banned is win-win for everyone, no? Yay for happy endings!

these answers are why people like me and the two people you are responding to say things like

'i still have no idea what gamergate is'

No, you being beyond fucking lazy and expecting us to spoonfeed you the info you can very well research like adults (or even like 5 year olds that can use wikipedia), then complaining when you don't like the powerpoint, is why people like you will keep saying 'I still have no idea what gamergate is' until the sun burns out. Which is why some of us are sick of you all beyond belief.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
these answers are why people like me and the two people you are responding to say things like

'i still have no idea what gamergate is'
But why? It answers the question perfectly and succinctly. It should be the opposite, instead of saying "I still don't know what it is", you should be saying "Oh, I see. That explains everything, thanks."

Because, really, that's actually what it is. If you want more details, well, as others have said, Google.

Acerac

Banned
Geez, it's kind of incredible how many "what's gamer gate guyz?" Posts each of these threads get. Is there any other subject on this forum that has so many show up in each thread to profess ignorance?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
I have never heard of Gamergate and I don't understand it so I'm just going to lock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom