• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 minutes of The Order 1886 gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game4life

Banned
I think it's because the game is a single player only affair that is constantly focused on story that it's been difficult for RaD to put out a single continuous video of gameplay flow. I think I remember hearing that even the PSX demo cut around some story events and nearly every other showing has been truncated in some way to keep from showing everything.

I don't really know how you can say that this game doesn't have a unique identity though. The personality of the game is immediately visible even at a glance.

I meant identity in terms of gameplay. Not in terms of setting which I would say is far more unique than TLOU and UC was at the time of release.

For example when I think UC I immediately think linear tps focused on super acrobatic and nimble movement and verticality. When I think of Vanquish - Linear TPS focused on bullet time, super fast movement and style. When I think of TLOU - Linear TPS with a methodical approach to shooting and improvised and intuitive stealth. When I think of Order currently all I can think of is take cover and shoot that is constantly interupted by cutscenes. I am sure the weapons, the melee , the shooting etc all come together in a unique way but I just wish they demoed a long combat gameplay video highlighting how they all come together in a typical gameplay scenario.

So you are "judging" a game based on someone else opinion.
GOT IT!

What? I am saying people are free to form their own opinion based on what has been shown in the gameplay videos. I dont personally care what other sites or people think about the game. Based on what I saw I feel RAD has not communicated its vision for the game accurately when it comes to gameplay.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nah. The playable version was seamless. They chose a portion that was practically a self contained plot with minimal spoilers

Ah, my mistake then. Maybe someone was just talking about how there was the extended demo and the shorter demo.

wotter

I've pre ordered the steelbook edition and I think I'm going on a blackout for the next weeks.
This game sure has come a long way, the last trailer was excellent.

LowParry

The characters
The setting
The weapons
The animations

Yeah, I'm pre ordering this game. I certainly hope it has some of those Gears of War moments. Oh how I love a good shotgun kill :D

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Order10.gif

This is impressive.

It's framed so that you can see the richly detailed bullets slide up the chamber as he works the loading bolt thing, which has an exquisitely smooth animation quality to it.

Game or movie, this is exceptional work here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I meant identity in terms of gameplay. Not in terms of setting which I would say is far more unique than TLOU and UC was at the time of release.

For example when I think UC I immediately think linear tps focused on super acrobatic and nimble movement and verticality. When I think of Vanquish - Linear TPS focused on bullet time, super fast movement and style. When I think of TLOU - Linear TPS with a methodical approach to shooting and improvised and intuitive stealth. When I think of Order currently all I can think of is take cover and shoot that is constantly interupted by cutscenes. I am sure the weapons, the melee , the shooting etc all come together in a unique way but I just wish they demoed a long combat gameplay video highlighting how they all come together in a typical gameplay scenario.

To me the gunplay looks very punchy and the weapons look unique, which are both huge pluses for shooters in my book. I think the overall pacing will also be something that stands out in this game, if they can meet their goal of mixing up slower paced moments with huge action scenes seamlessly that will stand out.

I think lycan combat is also going to be a differentiating factor, we just need to see it in action. All we have is a couple second gif of shooting a lycan in a tutorial.

Game4life

Banned
A demo would go a long way to clear up some of the confusion surrounding the game.

Too late for that now. So here is hoping the game kicks ass.

To me the gunplay looks very punchy and the weapons look unique, which are both huge pluses for shooters in my book. I think the overall pacing will also be something that stands out in this game, if they can meet their goal of mixing up slower paced moments with huge action scenes seamlessly that will stand out.

I think lycan combat is also going to be a differentiating factor, we just need to see it in action. All we have is a couple second gif of shooting a lycan in a tutorial.

I love the weapon feedback based on what I played and what I am seeing in the new videos. I am a huge KZ2 fan so this shooting reminds me of that a lot. Regarding the bolded, yeah like I said it could be amazing. It is just that they have not shown it so far which is why my excitement is not sky high. TLOU showed what clickers are going to be like before hand. I just cant put my finger on how all of this is going to come together which I suppose is a good thing as it gets to surprise people. On the other hand it can lead to skepticism because of how little has been shown which is what you are seeing here in this forum.

vg260

I feel like this is the least we have known about a major first party release in quite some time. It's making it hard for me to develop any interest in it. The focus on presentation with very little known about gameplay actually turns me off to it. I'd like to see a bit more, but they're not doing much to win me over in that regard.

hydruxo

I feel like this is the least we have known about a major first party release in quite some time. It's making it hard for me to develop any interest in it. The focus on presentation with very little known about gameplay actually turns me off to it. I'd like to see a bit more, but they're not doing much to win me over in that regard.

Funny how that turns you off, yet that makes me even more excited. It's nice to not know everything there is to know about a game before it comes out for once.

Dudes asking for more gameplay or where the gameplay is. Its over.

They've showed like more than half of Chapter 5 during PSX and a chunk of Chapter 3 was that demo they kept showing for like 8 months. That's two parts of the game where the action is in full swing. What you see is what you get and if you're feeling iffy on what you've seen then the game probably isn't for you.

Fuck it, getting a PS4 next week and pre-ordered the Steelbook editon as well. I just hope the german version will also include english language.

A demo would go a long way to clear up some of the confusion surrounding the game.
Yeah man. We don't know if this is a jRPG or a Strategy game or a First Person Puzzler or a Tetris clone.

I mean, we don't even know if there's actual game or if this is just a movie/walking simulator with prompts to skip the walking sequences.

I'm confoosed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The victim mentality some of you diehard defenders are taking before the game is even released is kind of disturbing. This feels like Uncharted all over again.

What's the point of a comment like this? This type of commentary is explicitly against the ToS. Why do you care? Report whining posts to a moderator please so I can delete them.

Salvadora

I got what he was saying. My original comment never point to the negative or positive responds. It wads general comment

babe mine was a general observation based on what i've read here

calm down
What's the point of a comment like this? This type of commentary is explicitly against the ToS. Why do you care? Report whining posts to a moderator or move on.
remember to moderate both sides

from what i've seen it isn't one sided

vg260

Dudes asking for more gameplay or where the gameplay is. Its over.

They've showed like more than half of Chapter 5 during PSX and a chunk of Chapter 3 was that demo they kept showing for like 8 months. That's two parts of the game where the action is in full swing. What you see is what you get and if you're feeling iffy on what you've seen then the game probably isn't for you.

Yeah, you're probably right. I hate to say it, but I'd probably be content watching a playthrough online.

Finalow

I wonder how that italian kid got to play the game. muted after 10 seconds anyway.

the game looks great, but we already knew that.

Salvadora

Being excited about something isn't a bannable offense; shitposting/trolling is.
i agree

it's a shame we haven't always had that and instead have had people over emotionally involved and attacking those (who in many cases have played the game!) for negative opinions

it's an unfortunate by product of the hype machine and first party releases

vg260

I think what I'm wondering regarding what's been shown is do people think they've shown enough to sell the game to people on the fence? Say, if the setting and theme hasn't grabbed you. It does seem there are a lot of people like myself still in wait and see mode very close to release. I feel like they've done a little better with Bloodborne than this in that regard. Then again, that game has a more defined pedigree.

On Demand

Banned
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a linear shooter and having high production values. It does not have to be revolutionary just like TLOU, UC and Max Payne sequels have not been revolutionary. What it does need to have is good level design, good combat options, good shooting mechanics, weapon feedback etc.. TLOU showed that beautifully in the gameplay demo's. They showed combat options, multiple ways to approach enemies etc etc in their demos. Order on the other hand has not displayed this nearly enough. Just because it is linear and is a shooter does not mean a game cant have a unique identity gameplay wise. TLOU showcased that identity and UC has as well. They both play extremely well but are completely opposite. I really cannot define order however. I am not able to define what makes its gameplay unique in the linear cinematic TPS genre. I feel that RAD has not communicated it well at all. This is not me saying the game will be disappointing but it does leave me doubtful. Take cover and shoot is the most basic of design that any freaking developer can do. It is about how to make that interesting and shaping a unique identity out of it.TLOU and UC have done it.

So you've played the game? The videos probably don't do any of that justice. Maby there's more to it or there's not. For me i don't need anything else explained to me. I know what to expect. A 3rd person shooter wrapped in the best looking detailed environments i've seen with a interesting story. The shooting mechanics they've already shown is good enough for me. It doesn't have to be "unique" to be good.

I still don't get what everyone is complaining about.

Yeah, you're probably right. I hate to say it, but I'd probably be content watching a playthrough online.
so you don't want to be hero when given opportunity who can control the story and change the outcome instead you want to be visitor.

Salvadora

:lol

better telling y2kev directly about an issue than backseat modding, innit? that's a quick way off this forum. especially for a junior.

LuuKyK

I am not personally affected by these extremely short and harsh posts myself, but I expect it to be recurring in every thread about the game, so I feel like stating my opinion about it, hopefully I dont sound entitled or something, just my two cents.

Regarding all these debacle over cinematic gameplay, I would say people need to have the mindset that it IS a different kind of game, and there is nothing wrong if its not exactly what you are into gaming-wise, but coming into the thread to state the the game "lacks gameplay" or some variant of it is not only objectively wrong (yes, its a game, and thats how it plays) but at the same time it doesnt add anything to the the conversation considering I assume the majority of the people posting here is aware of what The Order is and how it plays.

Posting that certain media focus too much on certain aspects wont change the way it turns out, so its literally pointless to keep this narrative in this sort of discussion. Just accept that, just like any other media out there, there are different strokes for different folks, as they say, so repeating things like this over and over seems a little bit overboard most of the time and comes off as a way to take away all the other things the game apparently does exceptionally well (based on what we've seen).

Not trying to backseat mod or anything, just would rather keep this sort of conversation for after the game releases so that we can have a full opinion over something that we actually played. Seems like the right thing to do, as I see it at least, otherwise every single thread (not only about the order, but other games too) will keep having the focus changed towards the same kind of discussion.

vg260

so you don't want to be hero when given opportunity who can control the story and change the outcome instead you want to be visitor.

Honestly, no. There are just too many games I want to play, and while the style and art direction looks really cool, I'm not into the genre's gameplay enough (or what I've seen of this specifically) to bump other games I'm more interested in into my backlog. If there's something gameplay-wise that stands out to me, then maybe I'd try it, but what's there seems more of the same with a prettier package. That's not a bad thing if you love the genre, but it's not what I enjoy most, so it's just a matter of balancing interest versus time for me.

On a similar note, I think Persona 5 looks absolutely fantastic, but I'll never be able to devote the time to playing a lengthy RPG. I'm still interested in the story and characters though. Such is the dilemma of the older gamer.

I think what I'm wondering regarding what's been shown is do people think they've shown enough to sell the game to people on the fence? Say, if the setting and theme hasn't grabbed you. It does seem there are a lot of people like myself still in wait and see mode very close to release. I feel like they've done a little better with Bloodborne than this in that regard. Then again, that game has a more defined pedigree.
They definitely haven't shown enough to justify a preorder. Even if you like the game, why not wait a day or two to see what the general reaction will be like.

Another thing people aren't considering is the length of the game. With so little shown of the game it raises concerns about how much content it has. Additionally it looks like the game will have little replayability. So once again even if everything you've seen about the game makes you love it, if the game is too short then it is still not worth it. It could be a Heavenly Sword type situation.

2rxfTJ6.gif

i wonder if most people will always put the left ball in place first. seems to me what most people who have played this mini-game always did.

Alo0oy

Banned
babe mine was a general observation based on what i've read here

calm down

remember to moderate both sides

from what i've seen it isn't one sided

There are sides now? This is a video game not a war!

Feel free to be critical of the game, I'm disappointed there isn't any multiplayer in the game & concerned about the length of the game, but shitposts like "this is isn't even gameplay" is not criticism, it's trolling.

Pennywise

There are sides now? This is a video game not a war!

Feel free to be critical of the game, I'm disappointed there isn't any multiplayer in the game & concerned about the length of the game, but shitposts like "this is isn't even gameplay" is not criticism, it's trolling.

It's Salva, everyone who doesn't support Arsenal is an enemy for him.

kpaadet

They definitely haven't shown enough to justify a preorder. Even if you like the game, why not wait a day or two to see what the general reaction will be like.

Another thing people aren't considering is the length of the game. With so little shown of the game it raises concerns about how much content it has. Additionally it looks like the game will have little replayability. So once again even if everything you've seen about the game makes you love it, if the game is too short then it is still not worth it. It could be a Heavenly Sword type situation.
The bolded could be said about every single game ever. Replayability comes from being a good game, plenty of the AssCreed games have tons of side stuff and collectibles yet I rarely bother because its just not fun (mostly because I don't find the gameplay of AssCreed very fun) meanwhile I've played through all of the Uncharted games between 2-4 times just becuase they are good games.

If you don't think The Order has replayability its probably because the game dosn't look fun to you, which of course is fine, but let's not pretend that adding stupid "fluff" will make people that are on the fence suddenly jump on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom