• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazil's President Suspended From Office By Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

After debating through the night, Brazil's Senate voted early Thursday 55 to 22 to try President Dilma Rousseff on charges of manipulating the budget. The vote automatically suspends her from office.

The Senate had been widely expected to vote for Rousseff to be tried in impeachment proceedings. The final tally is a resounding defeat for Rousseff, easily surpassing the simple majority (41 votes) required.

In fact, two-thirds of the body voted for Rousseff to be tried. During trial proceedings, another two-thirds vote by the Senate would convict Rousseff and permanently remove her as the country's president.

The Senate's debate Wednesday night was a marathon — lasting more than 20 hours.

"Bleary-eyed legislators gathered in the early hours of the morning to cast their electronic vote," NPR's Lulu Garcia-Navarro reports.

"The tone of the Senate debate was markedly different from that of the lower house last month, where congressmen cheered and cried after casting their ballot. In the Senate there was only a smattering of applause after the results were announced. In the speeches throughout the night, many Senators spoke about the economy and the legitimacy of the charges against Rousseff."

With words may God illuminate us all, senate votes to remove @dilmabr from office, ending 13 years of leftist rule in #brazil.
— Lulu Garcia-Navarro (@lourdesgnavarro) May 12, 2016
But, Lulu points out, many of Dilma's critics and opponents are themselves caught up in scandal or suspicion.

"Almost 60 percent of the Senate is under some form of criminal investigation," she notes. "There were surreal moments when former President, now Senator, Fernando Collor took to the podium to discuss his own impeachment process in 1992. Some of the senators speaking out most vociferously against Rousseff are themselves under indictment — like Ivo Cassol from Rondonia, who has been found guilty by the Supreme Court but is still in office while he appeals his jail sentence on technicalities."

The charges against Rousseff aren't eye-popping or jaw-dropping; she's accused on fairly technical grounds of concealing the extent of the country's budgetary shortfall.

But there's more at play than the stated charges, Lulu says: Rousseff is deeply unpopular, with only 10 percent approval ratings, and Brazil's economy is suffering.

Rouseff's supporters, meanwhile, call the impeachment proceedings a "coup."

Vice President Michel Temer will serve as acting president as Rousseff is tried, and will continue if she is permanently removed from office. The center-right politician's assumption of the office ends 13 years of the left's hold on the presidency.

As we reported yesterday, Temer is among the politicians accused of profiting from a massive corruption scandal involving the state oil company Petrobras. The scandal has also touched Rousseff, but was not officially included in her impeachment charges.

Brazil's President Dilma Rousseff speaks during a meeting Wednesday at the Planalto Presidential Palace, in Brasilia, Brazil.

The Senate now has 180 days to try Rousseff. If she is convicted, she would be formally impeached (in Brazil, the term is used for a conviction, not simply a suspension from office).

Lulu reports some opposition lawmakers are calling for Rousseff to resign, to avoid a lengthy trial — but Rousseff has vowed to fight it out.

On All Things Considered Wednesday, Lulu said she's been hearing there are plans to move the trial forward so it doesn't cast a shadow over the Rio Olympics this August. Still, some are concerned the nation's political upheaval will impact the games.

Via: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...eached-by-senate-and-is-suspended-from-office

Related read: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...eached-by-senate-and-is-suspended-from-office

Related thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197948&highlight=brazil

darkace

Banned
My ex was Brazilian and hated Rousseff and the previous leader. Their party basically just outright steals from the Brazilian people. That they're corrupt is widely known, I'm more amazed that something is being done about it.

nacimento

The PMDB will suck Brazil even drier than before now that they have it all. Temer even tried to put Newton Cardozo's son as defense minister. So much for the fight against corruption.

Sblargh

Banned
What is coming next?

The elected vice-president and his party of "we don't really believe in nothing in particular, but we hold immense power because politics" allied with what used to be the opposition (the center-right PSDB).

But all eyes are on them now; some of the fears are:

- They will go back to stalling corruption investigations like it used to be before PT's government.
- They will attack PT's welfare programs (which still are immensely popular for good reasons because a good deal of people genuinely needs them and they work out well for th most part) while conveniently forgetting the numerous ways our upper classes helped to benkrupt the government
- Despite being voted as Dilma's vice-president; Temer will generally form a right wing government and try to drum the message that the cause of the impeachment wasn't the gross mismanagement of the public finances (along with suspicions of trying to obstruct justice when it came to her own party) and yes a rejection of leftists ideals, which is not true at all. Brazillians still very much want a left-wing government, we just don't want one that uses the presidential office as a get out of jail free card.

Gbraga

Welp, the right-wing won this time, stay safe BrazilGAF.

tumblr_static__640_v2.gif

Sblargh

Banned
Happy day for us :) (well, at least to me)

We'll be fine, don't worry.

I don't know if we will be fine and even though I am in favor of the result, I find it very uncomfortable to be people happy about this; she was elected, what happened was according to law (and morally correct, imo), but it wasn't a joyous occasion by any means.

The new government being formed now have to justify itself; the rhetoric of coup and right-wing conspiracy is pathetic, but being naive about what is to come doesn't help either.

The new goverment won't be that much different from Lula's one. The economy minister is Meirelles, which was also economy minister of Lula's goverment.

I can't see why people think that Temer being president is like the apocalypse, it makes no sense at all. PMDB, PT and PSDB are quite similar parties ideologically, all of them are left-wing, corrupt (still, PT is by far the most corrupt) and have similar proposals.

Sblargh

Banned
The new goverment won't be that much different from Lula's one. The economy minister is Meirelles, which was also economy minister of Lula's goverment.

I can't see why people think that Temer being president is like the apocalypse, it makes no sense at all. PMDB, PT and PSDB are quite similar parties ideologically, all of them are left-wing, corrupt (still, PT is by far the most corrupt) and have similar proposals.

I agree that in terms of policy not much changes and that the parties are all similar ideologically (which is a good thing, because this is an ideology that did a lot of good things during both FHC and the Lula admnistrations); saying that PT is by far the most corrupt is just not factual, imo; but regardless, this is not a competition to see whose side is dirtier.

But I agree with your general point of view; whoever is expecting big changes to one side of the spectrum or the other will be disappointed. The devil is in the detail; we have to pay very close attention now to see who will foot the biill for whatever is coming.

Tiops

I don't know if we will be fine and even though I am in favor of the result, I find it very uncomfortable to be people happy about this; she was elected, what happened was according to law (and morally correct, imo), but it wasn't a joyous occasion by any means.

The new government being formed now have to justify itself; the rhetoric of coup and right-wing conspiracy is pathetic, but being naive about what is to come doesn't help either.

Yes, an impeachment is a terrible thing to happen in a country, as it indicates that a lot of shit was going on. In this way, I'm not happy. I'm not happy that our situation is so bad that it required such drastic measure.

I'm happy in the same way that people were happy when Collor was impeached. Happy to see something happen, happy to have a remote chance of change. Of course I don't expect Temer to be the best president ever, of course I don't expect every problem to be solved. But I do believe that an impeachment makes the population more aware of our political situation, and that, if there's a tiny vestige of intelligente in this new government, they'll try to fix some shit, even if their reasoning is just to get credibility for next elections.

Things improved a lot from Collor to Itamar. It's not impossible to things to improve a little bit with Dilma to Temer. I didn't see absolutely any intention to improve things by PT's government (the chance we had was with Levy as minister, but unfortunately he wasn't allowed to work), so, yes, I have a little bit of hope, as naive as that may be.

Sblargh

Banned
Yes, an impeachment is a terrible thing to happen in a country, as it indicates that a lot of shit was going on. In this way, I'm not happy. I'm not happy that our situation is so bad that it required such drastic measure.

I'm happy in the same way that people were happy when Collor was impeached. Happy to see something happen, happy to have a remote chance of change. Of course I don't expect Temer to be the best president ever, of course I don't expect every problem to be solved. But I do believe that an impeachment makes the population more aware of our political situation, and that, if there's a tiny vestige of intelligente in this new government, they'll try to fix some shit, even if their reasoning is just to get credibility for next elections.

Things improved a lot from Collor to Itamar. It's not impossible to things to improve a little bit with Dilma to Temer. I didn't see absolutely any intention to improve things by PT's government (the chance we had was with Levy as minister, but unfortunately he wasn't allowed to work), so, yes, I have a little bit of hope, as naive as that may be.

Yeah, I get it.
I think the economy might improve, my great fear is what will be sacrificed for that to happen. There are already talks of messing with how retirement works. What I really want to know is when they will mess with the BNDES (BNDES is a government bank that gives out loans to private enterprises, which in theory is great, but right now it is a hellhole of corrupt money laundry and a way to funnel public money to the already too rich)

Granjinha

Welp, the right-wing won this time, stay safe BrazilGAF.

lol

sure bro

Yeah, I get it.
I think the economy might improve, my great fear is what will be sacrificed for that to happen. There are already talks of messing with how retirement works. What I really want to know is when they will mess with the BNDES (BNDES is a government bank that gives out loans to private enterprises, which in theory is great, but right now it is a hellhole of corrupt money laundry and a way to funnel public money to the already too rich)

They need to do a CPI for BNDES too. Petrobras will look like kids play compared to that.

Maedhros

Let's see the shit this new government will do now. Maybe they'll reduce their own giant salaries to make some money... nah, they'll probably try to exonerate tons of people from the three powers, wage freeze and other type of common strategies...

Platy

We started with Temer choosing the FIRST MINISTERY WITHOUT A SINGLE WOMAN since 1979 !
25 white cis hetero men

Also, in 50 years of democracy was had only 3 people made president without an impeachment and 4 PMDB (Temer's political party) presidents not elected by popular vote

Also, PMDB facebook pages are receiving a enormous flood of "vomiting emojis" because brazilians are awesome

Also, everyone was freaking out that Dilma tried to give "privilege justice" to Lula by making him becoming a minister and saying it was highly illegal and "she fucked up when she did all that stuff" and.... Temer is doing this with SEVEN people

But no panelaço to be found

Also as a bonus, first page of the Huffington Post

nsosOiA.png

My ex was Brazilian and hated Rousseff and the previous leader. Their party basically just outright steals from the Brazilian people. That they're corrupt is widely known, I'm more amazed that something is being done about it.

By it only means their political party. Corruption is going nowhere.

XrbWNar.jpg

*collage of news about different things temer did wrong

Sblargh

Banned
A lot of stuff is happening today, I had not even realized how homogenous his new ministry is; you are totally right, it is worrying. Also worrying about those 7 ministers; I will have to read about this stuff.

Regardless, it seems all that PT has to say about themselves is that they are just as dirty as everyone else and, thus, you can't accuse them of nothing because reasons.

In the coming days, everything Temer says or do will have to be scrutinized and so the ball keeps rolling. The left will have to organize themselves as a force that has more goals than to worship saint Lula & friends now; we need them to take this seriously and succeed.

His science and technology minister is a fucking pastor! What a fucking joke.

And there were rumors about a lot of lobbying trying to get bolsonaro the defense ministry, too. Marvelous.

This right wing neo liberal conservative religious extremist facist homophobe misogynistic anti-science wave of politicians that are spreading like cancer are going to wipe humanity out of the face of the earth unless we do something about it.

Brazil, you fucked up.

hawk2025

The most famous of Lula's popular policies, Bolsa Familia, was conceptualized by so-called neoliberals as a negative income tax and adapted to Brazil by neoliberals.

Find a new insult.

Platy

Dilma and her ministers and Temer with his

JEjnAp3.jpg

Basicaly "real life vs videogames" xD

They are only quoting news articles ... so unless you have problems agains Reuters, The Economist and other news outlets ... than yes

His science and technology minister is a fucking pastor! What a fucking joke.

And there were rumors about a lot of lobbying trying to get bolsonaro the defense ministry, too. Marvelous.

Those are not true.

Temer considered a Pastor but ended up with Kassab, ex-mayor of São Paulo.

Also Bolsonaro was not his choice, he wanted some random 30 year old guy, but the militar people was like "wtf a yound dude doing this" and asked for the new guy

hawk2025

Neo liberals making non-neo liberal policies are ok, of course!

Of course!

Everything that you think is good is ok and not neoliberal, everything that's bad is neoliberal! The perfect boogeyman.

They are only quoting news articles ... so unless you have problems agains Reuters, The Economist and other news outlets ... than yes

They are doing selective yellow journalism with an unhealthy dose of conspiracy theories. It's gross.

I put 80 down on predictit guessing Dilma would make it to the end of the year.

I guess Brazil is not as corrupted as I thought.

Eila

The economy was going well, people were happy.
The economy is in a huge slump in good part because of all these competitions the country is hosting, the people are extremely unhappy.

Ponto

Unconfirmed Member
Just a quick warning to non-brazilians, I'd recommend you take a look at articles (bbc has a good one they did today or this one from The Guardian). Take a look at what was wrong before and what is wrong now, as both sides were facing a lot of issues, and it's not crystal water, as you can see with the citizens of the country being divided. Discussions like this on the internet tend to get a lot of heat, even here in gaf, as it happened a lot on the other thread that discussed this topic.

tldr, read all you want on the opinions here, but that's all they are. I know it sounds stupid, but if you wanna get informed and interpret how good/bad this is, please read the news as there's a lot of arguments coming from both sides and a lot of brazilians tend to talk about this in absolute terms.

This is the actual Economist article with proper analysis, rather than jumbled quotes, Intercept conspiracy nonsense, and Cenk's shitty wrapping:

http://www.economist.com/news/ameri...-rousseff-does-not-mean-he-will-be-successful
An unplanned presidency? Really? When we talking about the guy that was leaking his inauguration speech a month ago?

Anyway, the premisse is dishonest
His job will be harder than the one faced by earlier unelected presidents. After five years of inept rule by Ms Rousseff, Brazil is suffering its worst recession since the 1930s. The economy will probably shrink by a total of 7.5% in 2015 and 2016; the unemployment and inflation rates both stand at around 10%. The budget deficit is more than a tenth of GDP. Nearly as acute as the economic crisis is the political one caused by the scandal surrounding Petrobras, the state-controlled oil company. This has tarnished both Ms Rousseff’s Workers’ Party (PT) and the centrist Party of the Brazilian Democratic Movement (PMDB) of Mr Temer.

Sarney, the first unelected president after we left the dictatorship, might not have the gdp contraction that we currently face, but he had to struggle with an inflation of 235% per year when he took over, which he then made even worse.
Itamar, the second unelected president, got the swell inflation rate of 1081% when he took over.

Saying that he'll get a job harder than the one Itamar got is a flat-out lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom