• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom representative : Street Fighter V would never ship on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stark difference between the tone in this thread and the Tomb Raider one. I really detest these deals, it isn't even a 'console' exclusive, they've been paid to keep it off a single platform which is the shittiest type of deal a developer can make with an established franchise. They seem to be becoming more prevalent this generation.

I guess I take some solace in the fact SFV probably wouldn't have been made if they never struck the deal right? So when I look at it that way it's a great thing. Better than no SFV at all.

No look at it like you get to play it in Spring 2016 with a proper budget instead 2018 with who knows what kind of funding.

I feel like we knew this from the beginning. What puzzles me are some celebratory reactions. What do you as a gamer have to gain from another gamer on a different platform not playing said game? Bragging rights? I don't know, it just seems so mean to me that some gamers are glad that other gamers have less choice.

Suppose it's nice to finally have confirmation from Capcom themselves. Ultimately, it's better than having no SFV at all. There are still options for gamers who want to play it.

I feel like we knew this from the beginning. What puzzles me are some celebratory reactions. What do you as a gamer have to gain from another gamer on a different platform not playing said game? Bragging rights? I don't know, it just seems so mean to me that some gamers are glad that other gamers have less choice.

e69ff112f65aae1e55fb0806a141e0bb9fade3b72481dad1de29cec519204d61.jpg

klee123

Not that I agree, but I guess to justify their console of choice? Especially after all the posts of seeing how PS4 has "no games" from the other side.

In the matter of fact, I'm actually surprised that Sony allowed the PC port to be day and date with the PS4 version considering that Sony is footing the bill and how many people here would likely choose the PC version if the choice is there.

Guess Sony doesn't see that PC versions will eat into the overall sales like how MS do.

Exclusives > more sales > more support for platform > more games to play

The more a single console dominates the more games we get as a whole, I suppose due to the user base not being split and a clear choice for on the fence consumers thinking of getting a console, at least that's been the case so far. Look at the PS2 and the Wii (even if 99% of the latter's was shovelware).

The PS4 crew want as much market dominance as possible hoping that it will bring about another PS2 golden era.

Street Fighter 4 was expensive. It was about a million dollars to develop each individual character for SF4, IIRC, and this is completely separate from the overarching game - for Skullgirls, it was between 100,000 and 200,000 per character, but they're a much smaller studio and lived off ramen to do it.

1 million o_O ? Do you have a source ? I'm really curious

I kind of doubt it, since there's a ton of characters in there and it would make it one of the more expensive games. Surely they could make it cheaper over time. But still, making such detailed characters, with multiple costumes, with fantastic animation, physics and facial expressions, and then get all the timings and hit boxes right... it's not cheap stuff.

Stark difference between the tone in this thread and the Tomb Raider one. I really detest these deals, it isn't even a 'console' exclusive, they've been paid to keep it off a single platform which is the shittiest type of deal a developer can make with an established franchise. They seem to be becoming more prevalent this generation.

I guess I take some solace in the fact SFV probably wouldn't have been made if they never struck the deal right? So when I look at it that way it's a great thing. Better than no SFV at all.

This comparison has been done to death and it's dumb. SFV is just like Dead Rising 3, where Capcom wasn't putting many resources into AAA games and it needed funding to come out any time soon. While they may have come out eventually without Microsoft or Sony's help, their funding meant that they definitely came/are coming out and on a good schedule. Did you see much controversy about DR3? Not really, because it was exclusive for a good reason.

Whereas the Tomb Raider deal had nothing to do with needing funding, it was scheduled for this holiday season for all five platforms, not just two, so Microsoft paid Square Enix to delay the PS3, PS4 and PC versions. And on top of that, they also deliberately tried to obfuscate the type of exclusivity they had, to make it appear as if it were a full exclusive when it was actually timed.

The more a single console dominates the more games we get as a whole, I suppose due to the user base not being split and a clear choice for on the fence consumers thinking of getting a console, at least that's been the case so far.

I don't understand. How does a single console doing better affect the amount of games available?

c0de

Whereas the Tomb Raider deal had nothing to do with needing funding, it was scheduled for this holiday season for all five platforms, not just two, so Microsoft paid Square Enix to delay the PS3, PS4 and PC versions. And on top of that, they also deliberately tried to obfuscate the type of exclusivity they had, to make it appear as if it were a full exclusive when it was actually timed.

Yeah, they should've made it as clear as in the 90's when Sony bought Tomb Raider for several years.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't FF versus13 supposed to be PS3 exclusive, but FF15 will be multi-platform. In fact, Street Fighter itself has an even better example than Super/Hyper etc. 'Special Champion Edition' was coined specifically so SF could be made on SEGA Genesis.

Seems like a name-change can nullify exclusivity agreements.

Versus 13 was probably exclusive not through any contract or agreement but a natural decison made by SE then. When the FFXIII games were announced, the Japanese devs probably didn't know how strong the 360 was going to be, in terms of market share and how the PS3 was going to take a while to take off. FFXIII was a good example on how things can change and SE never spoke about FF exclusivity in terms of deals.

So I doubt Versus can be multiplatform because of a name change. There simply wasn't any legalities preventing the game from becoming multiplatform.

I don't understand. How does a single console doing better affect the amount of games available?

Well for one it make it less likely that publishers will think it is beneficial do Tomb Raider type deals for Xbox One in the future. So chances of being excluded from games(even temporarily) go down.

Fanboys.

Street Fighter 4 was expensive. It was about a million dollars to develop each individual character for SF4, IIRC, and this is completely separate from the overarching game - for Skullgirls, it was between 100,000 and 200,000 per character, but they're a much smaller studio and lived off ramen to do it.

Skullgirls costs were mainly due to being 2D, hence harder to animate. So I'm doubtful for the 1M figure.

Krackatoa

MikeZ's gone off on it a whole lot back when Skullgirls was raising funds via IndieGoGo. They've gone on record saying that Skullgirls characters cost about $400,000 apiece if the devs don't want to eat ramen noodles for 3 months while paying their contractors something respectable, and they have a fairly no-nonsense development pipeline.

Characters become substantially cheaper as the pipeline is fleshed out, but initial characters have their costs ballooned by prototyping and waste. Think about how many Sol Badguys ASW had to create to get the process down for Guilty Gear Xrd. The GDC talk mentioned that they've gotten it down so that they can do characters far faster than they used to in earlier development. Time == Money.

Well for one it make it less likely that publishers will think it is beneficial do Tomb Raider type deals for Xbox One in the future. So chances of being excluded from games(even temporarily) go down.

Ok, I understand, but that doesn't actually increase the number of actual games being developed. It just means that some gamers, the ones that chose the "wrong" platform are getting screwed over more.

Omikaru

Skullgirls costs were mainly due to being 2D, hence harder to animate. So I'm doubtful for the 1M figure.
I remember someone from Lab Zero mentioned that they'd heard it was ~$1m per character in SFIV when some idiots were blowing a gasket over the cost to develop new Skullgirls characters.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all, though obviously by no means a confirmation.

Ok, I understand, but that doesn't actually increase the number of actual games being developed. It just means that some gamers, the ones that chose the "wrong" platform are getting screwed over more.

How would any one be getting screwed over? I gave an example of game that was meant to be multiplatform from the outset and was turned into a timed exclusive.

I remember someone from Lab Zero mentioned that they'd heard it was ~$1m per character in SFIV when some idiots were blowing a gasket over the cost to develop new Skullgirls characters.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all, though obviously by no means a confirmation.

I would largely expect that the $1m figure is complete garbage (I'm a games developer)...

You'd have to use some seriously creative accounting to come up with a figure like that...

Also unless you worked at Capcom on the project and deeply understand their art pipeline and content workflows, I wouldn't believe a word you have to say on how much the minutae of their games took to make in production..

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Exclusives > more sales > more support for platform > more games to play

The more a single console dominates the more games we get as a whole, I suppose due to the user base not being split and a clear choice for on the fence consumers thinking of getting a console, at least that's been the case so far. Look at the PS2 and the Wii (even if 99% of the latter's was shovelware).

The PS4 crew want as much market dominance as possible hoping that it will bring about another PS2 golden era.

But more sales from both platforms > more money > more supports for both platforms > more games to play

You only have to code for one platform to reach almost all console consumers.

I think there might be something behind the marketing too, in the PS2 era the console was so dominant that it's cultural significance pushed itself out toward new audiences.

Don't get me wrong I agree with ArtHands too, I don't think it's super clear cut or anything, but on balance I think the console wars negatively impact the cultural significance of gaming, the financials of development and the appeal to non-usual gamers. There's a reason that rival home video formats always narrowed down to one winner and that was definitely better overall for the consumer, even if diehard fanboys insisted that their losing format was technically better.

But more sales from both platforms > more money > more supports for both platforms > more games to play

Is there any evidence of a close market resulting in more or better games? PS2/Xbox/Gamecube was least competitive generation ever and it is looked upon very fondly. I wasn't active back then, but it's talked about like a golden age of gaming.

c0de

Is there any evidence of a close market resulting in more or better games? PS2/Xbox/Gamecube was least competitive generation ever and it is looked upon very fondly. I wasn't active back then, but it's talked about like a golden age of gaming.

I think there are way too many variables in here to say "if w and x happens, then we get y". This is what we see many times in forums so gamers can make guesses about what will happen, based on history.
But these argumentations often are based on personal wishes, picking data that fits the agenda, hope and sometimes false data.

Percy

Banned
Jump in, dragon punch, wait til they get up, fire ball... After 25 years of that it's just boring gameplay now. The fighting genre needs a huge leap in a new direction.

Holy shit lol! Serious post?

Has anyone called it a 'corridor fighter' yet? :D

This is a strange post to read from someone who I can recall being in favour of MS buying Tomb Raider exclusivity when that was announced.

I think there are way too many variables in here to say "if w and x happens, then we get y". This is what we see many times in forums so gamers can make guesses about what will happen, based on history.
But these argumentations often are based on personal wishes, picking data that fits the agenda, hope and sometimes false data.

This is true but we shouldn't take for granted that competing console platforms inherently benefits us or the industry. I mean just looking crudely at past generations it is true that the least competitive tend to be regarded as the best.

Personally I want to see competition between developers not platforms, the same way I want to see movie directors competing to make the best films rather than a constant war between Blu Ray and HD DVD etc.

c0de

This is a strange post to read from someone who I can recall being in favour of MS buying Tomb Raider exclusivity when that was announced.

But TR isn't exclusive, it's timed. This game is not. And no matter what he said before, it is still strange to read that people are happy about the exclusivity. You should address that.

I most certainly was never in favor of it. My post history is freely available and my opinion on Microsoft very well known.

c0de

This is true but we shouldn't take for granted that competing console platforms inherently benefits us or the industry. I mean just looking crudely at past generations it is true that the least competitive tend to be regarded as the best.

Personally I want to see competition between developers not platforms, the same way I want to see movie directors competing to make the best films rather than a constant war between Blu Ray and HD DVD etc.

Yes, definitely. Competition between developers would be the best for all. The sad thing is that devs or better, their companies, are obviously short on money so we see deals like the one for SF5. That said, we will always have platform talks and wars because people want their best for the console they bought or their parents bought them. The most desired things are the things you can't get.

Novocaine

That's a shame. I thought there would be a chance Super/Ultra etc would have released multiplat but I guess not.

Capcom are the worst man, I hate that they have exclusives spread out over all of the systems. I know SFV is kind of a special case but Christ it's frustrating.

Yes, definitely. Competition between developers would be the best for all. The sad thing is that devs or better, their companies, are obviously short on money so we see deals like the one for SF5. That said, we will always have platform talks and wars because people want their best for the console they bought or their parents bought them. The most desired things are the things you can't get.

My personal dream would be a single console that covers all demographics including kids, there would be so little barrier to consumers to just go for it and buy one because they'd know everyone in the family could play any game that happened to be released on it.

I am sure this would be better for the industry and that we would see a lot more games because of it, I think the effect of a single platform would mean the userbase would be more than just the PS4 + Xbox + Wii U userbase.

But a couple of exclusives (like this) and some pushes into new demographics (Ratchet & Clank movie + game) are not going to bring that about this gen so I guess this point is moot for now. More than anything I think Sony are just attempting to build some partnerships based on more than moneyhats and trying to secure the eSports console scene, which benefits them but not especially the industry as a whole.

Sucks, but there's nothing to be mad at here. When the choice is between the game not being made, and it being exclusive to certain platforms, I'd rather just be able to play it on something. If the game couldn't be made without Sony's help, then we'll just have to accept that.

I'm just glad I'll be able to play on PC as well as PS4.

Multiplatform > more sales overall > more support for both platforms > more games to play for everyone

Ok lets hope that the PC gaming market is split 50/40/10 between Windows, OS X and Linux with different hardware and software architecture, different online services and exclusive games.

Then PC gaming will be so much better.

convo

Jump in, dragon punch, wait til they get up, fire ball... After 25 years of that it's just boring gameplay now. The fighting genre needs a huge leap in a new direction.

Maybe you should look at the new Killer Instinct characters Brah if you have been out of the loop for THIS long.

How come? I'm thinking, if Skullgirls characters can cost $250k, then I don't doubt that developing individual characters for Street Fighter V, with all of its new mechanics comes close to $300-400k a piece. When you multiply that by 16, we're talking a lot of money, not even factoring in the rest of the development and marketing.

Sure, it's not as much of a time constraint to animate 3D models, but still.

EDIT: Looked up numbers and changed accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom