• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater - UE5 Remake vs Original - How Does the Trailer Stack Up?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

A genuine PS2 classic gets a full remake using Unreal Engine 5, with Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater brimming with promise in its recent Xbox Showcase trailer. Everything from MGS3's cut-scenes to animations are kept here, but with a radical reworking to detail over the top. Materials, shadows and more are supplanted with a cutting edge UE5 approach - so how does it compare to the original?

00:31 Intro
01:50 Resolution/Frame Rate Early Thoughts
02:55 Original vs Remake Cut-scene Comparison
05:09 Original vs Remake Character Comparison
09:12 Extra visual additions in Delta
10:21 Conclusion

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Text article:

sZGeilu.png

3Sy0nRu.png

3Uq8FYf.png

ldfl8c4.png

AE2VOy4.png

Last edited:

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
The last UE5 pic. That's supposed to be a woman?
It's based on a real woman dude
Soldier girl has this look of someone who suffered.

In the world you live in, every woman has a triangular face? A few minutes ago I was on the street and passed a woman identical to Boss from MGS Remake.

Last edited:

BryceNobody

The decision to start with 3 instead of 1 and call it Δ will never make any sense. Same thing they are doing with SH btw. Konami is really aimless.
It makes some sense considering it’s the fan favorite and probably needs less changes than MGS1 or MGS2.

MGS1 needs drastic revisions to the level design to accommodate 3rd person modern gameplay. Can’t imagine they’d want to start the remakes off with something wildly different that could alienate fans.

Last edited:

RaduN

They should not be using the fucking Master HD Remaster whatever the fuck re-release they use of MGS3 (or 2), because all these are missing virtually all post processing effects from the original ps2. The shallow depth of field, the high quality blending modes, the dense particle effects, those add a ton to the actual look of the original game. Absolutelly all the HD re-releases are a piece of shit in terms of graphics.

Of course, it doesn't mean that tehnically there's even a contest here, but artistically...my fucking god this remake is butchered in the most stupidest of ways.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I like the new visuals just fine, but it just feels wrong without that baby-diarrhea green filter. I hope they let you enable that and it actually looks like the original game’s style.

It's looking good. But it better run at a stable 60fps like the PS3 remasters and the handling of the characters better be as good. They need to remember it's a gameplay focused game needing responsive camera and controls.

Last edited:

simpatico

looks good if a little clinical. All the same problems as the Demon's Souls remake. Technically good but spiritually bankrupt. Will still buy.

MujkicHaris

I prefer PS2 version. But it's obvious from the screenshots that the developers worked really hard to mimic the original. I respect that.

RaduN

It has supernatural moments, but the theme of the game is deeply rooted in Cold War spy fiction.
No, absolutely not.

The theme and story is universal, and is about the greater good, about sacrifice and legacy. All the characters are based on biblical and mythological characters, most of them deconstructed and repurposed.
The Cold War is just an [exceptionally well used] background but a mere background nontheless, as it could have happened anywhere, in any moment in history. That's exactly why this game is such a monumental achievement in storytelling.

This is also the one game where that damn bloom actually adds to the experience, exactly because of the deeply personal nature of the narrative.

Lethal01

I expected them to decrease the visual effects but the fact that they are gone without even the slightest change in the default mode is taking it way too far.

6kw0diQ.png

Kinda sucks that you can only get the filter when playing in "classic" mode, but I hope it means that the filter is actually tine tuned moment to moment or at least location to location and not just some supper generic filter applied equally regardless of context

Last edited:

Radical_3d

I wish modern Kojima would be more of my liking but a literal walking simulator is too much for this old fart. I guess I’m in with this one.

Top Bottom