• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Delta New Trailer | Xbox Showcase 2024

Pelao

I don't have any faith in Konami, but I'll try to remain slightly optimistic until the game comes out and I see first impressions.

March Climber

Gold Member
They confirmed in that new interview that you can use a color filter to make it look like the original. I wonder if its only in the classic camera mode.
This is potentially good news. The real test will be if the filter stays yellowish during night time gameplay, because in the original the color grading changed to blue.

And yes I know it’s nitpicky, but it’s so easy for an artist to not catch this when remaking another’s work.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is potentially good news. The real test will be if the filter stays yellowish during night time gameplay, because in the original the color grading changed to blue.

And yes I know it’s nitpicky, but it’s so easy for an artist to not catch this when remaking another’s work.
I bet that the filter does not change to take into account night time, but it will be a good test of how they approach remaking and making games. This is where people that do truly care shine, those that tick checkboxes do not.

March Climber

Gold Member
Color grading and similar stylistic choices will forever be somehow ascribed to "technical limitations" or some other nonsense. Just like anything that isn't auto-tuned and processed to hell and back in music right now is deemed "retro" or similar. It's not. It was used for a reason and by people that understand what makes games tick a million times more than any of us do.

Vice City is a great example. Game looks warm and hazy due to the filters, it's a way to get the place across visually. It's not like people hit some filter button accidentally for a decade abd someone finally realized it and saw the light.
I bet that the filter does not change to take into account night time, but it will be a good test of how they approach remaking and making games. This is where people that do truly care shine, those that tick checkboxes do not.

I blame the PS360 generation for the public sentiment on this. Too many developers used effects that MGS3 used (Bloom + color grading) without a real vision behind every usage. It soured how people view these effects, even when they are used correctly.

I have noticed for this gen similar complaints have been said about chromatic aberration and per object motion blur, and once again it’s because too many devs without a clear vision are simply applying both effects without much consideration.

It really is a bummer to see people wanting nearly every game to have a sort of stale, saturated look, like those modders who crank up the sharpness and contrast and call it a ‘next gen mod’.

I blame the PS360 generation for the public sentiment on this. Too many developers used effects that MGS3 used (Bloom + color grading) without a real vision behind every usage. It soured how people view these effects, even when they are used correctly.

I have noticed for this gen similar complaints have been said about chromatic aberration and per object motion blur, and once again it’s because too many devs without a clear vision are simply applying both effects without much consideration.

It really is a bummer to see people wanting nearly every game to have a sort of stale, saturated look, like those modders who crank up the sharpness and contrast and call it a ‘next gen mod’.
Can't argue with that. People tend to gorge themselves on whatever technical advancement becomes widely available in creative industries like you said. Same thing happens in music, again, when a new gadget becomes available. Suddenly every fucking song has auto-tune dialed to 11 because...it's there.

Anyway, agreed.

RaduN

Using Sutherland for MGSV made sense though, given that you played as just some random dude.
You don't play as some random dude. You play as Big Boss, for all intends and purposes.

Where the VA gets canonically fucked up in the series, is 3, not V. As much as i love Hayter and i love him in 3 and all games he's been into, he soudn't have been in 3, if we must stick with the cannon.

Kiefer in V was a great choice, as were all others. Best VA in series.

Killjoy-NL

You don't play as some random dude. You play as Big Boss, for all intends and purposes.

Where the VA gets canonically fucked up in the series, is 3, not V. As much as i love Hayter and i love him in 3 and all games he's been into, he soudn't have been in 3, if we must stick with the cannon.

Kiefer in V was a great choice, as were all others. Best VA in series.
In MGSV you didn't play as Big Boss though.

You played as someone who was hypnotized into thinking he was Big Boss.

Edit:

Venom Snake (MGSV) was the medic that removed the bomb from Paz on the chopper at the end of Ground Zeroes.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Using Sutherland for MGSV made sense though, given that you played as just some random dude.
But you didn't in Ground Zeroes. The "random dude" excuse never made sense. He voiced Naked Snake/Big Boss in the prologue and the epilogue too.

Dude spent the majority of the game mute. If you can't pay for your VA to actually give enough lines to not feel like Link, don't replace the old one.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

New screenshot
0fOweQe.jpeg

Also:

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/

just_jr

I'm hoping for a change in the way you switch camos, but I don't know how this system could be changed for the better

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Only game where I would like to see the "piss/green" filter used. It game the game this certain look and feel that's kinda lost with a natural color grading. Other than that, looks great.

SJRB

Gold Member
The color filter in this game is just like the yellow filter when a show/movie takes place in Mexico - it's not realistic but it just looks weird without it.

VinnyMac

I'll get it on sale. I consider myself a huge fan of the series this is my least favorite way overrated. And the least one that could have used a remake.... I think 2 would have been a better choice and I think if you're a true mgs fan 1 was the ultimate choice

A.Romero

I'll be there day 1. Too bad the Deluxe edition is not being sold on my country...

To me the game looks just fine. Even if they miss some details or whatever, I'm sure it can't be the worst game I've played.

zkorejo

Looks really good. They nailed the atmosphere and feel of the original in terms of looks. Don't trust Konami though.

Will wait for reviews.

Top Bottom