• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater - UE5 Remake vs Original - How Does the Trailer Stack Up?

BryceNobody

Kinda sucks that you can only get the filter when playing in "classic" mode, but I hope it means that the filter is actually tine tuned moment to moment or at least location to location and not just some supper generic filter applied equally regardless of context
They’ve already confirmed the filter is available for both modes.

Last edited:

DavJay

Looks good but needs more yellowish green saturation. Without it, there’s no soul from the original game.

clarky

Gold Member
How? From what we've seen so far it's a shot for shot remake. If you don't like that you don't like the original 🤷
Love the original. I have zero faith in Konami not to fuck this up. Even if they don't it looks like it plays exactly the same and I can play that game right now, so what's the point? The shinny graphics will wear off after 15 minutes and it'll be essentially the same experience I've already played through about 5 times.

Last edited:
It’s a bit of a let down Kojima wasn’t involved in this but he seemed done with the franchise after 4 anyways. I know Konami sucks but I’m a mark for Metal Gear, and Snake Eater is the pinnacle of the series. Looking forward to playing this with my 11 year old, for her introduction to the series.

Love the original. I have zero faith in Konami not to fuck this up. Even if they don't it looks like it plays exactly the same and I can play that game right now, so what's the point? The shinny graphics will wear off after 15 minutes and it'll be essentially the same experience I've already played through about 5 times.
So it'll be the same fantastic game MGS3 has always been. I'm struggling to see the problem.

If they were changing things everyone would just bitch about that too. This is the best option "sans Kojima."

And no, not remaking it isn't an option. Lots of Metal Gear diehards want this.

It’s a bit of a let down Kojima wasn’t involved in this but he seemed done with the franchise after 4 anyways. I know Konami sucks but I’m a mark for Metal Gear, and Snake Eater is the pinnacle of the series. Looking forward to playing this with my 11 year old, for her introduction to the series.
I'll be doing the same with my 11 year old daughter.

I really don't see any need for Kojima when they're just making the exact same game with a shiny coat of paint.

Not changing anything is kind of the point of this remake. Kojima or not you can't fuck that up (yes ignoring the possibility of bugs or performance related issues).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kinda sucks that you can only get the filter when playing in "classic" mode, but I hope it means that the filter is actually tine tuned moment to moment or at least location to location and not just some supper generic filter applied equally regardless of context

Looks like you got your wish. In the latest video, they said you can apply the visual filter in the game and they showed it applied to the new perspective too.

GRSLeDsaAAAeaTq

GRSLeD0aIAABQPC

Lethal01

Looks like you got your wish. In the latest video, they said you can apply the visual filter in the game and they showed it applied to the new perspective too.

GRSLeDsaAAAeaTq

GRSLeD0aIAABQPC

Yes, I saw, thrilled, It's looking extremely promising, and the filter looks well done.
Still need to wait for the whole game ofcourse it looks good in the 2 shots they showed it in but if it's a static green filter it could end up looking very off in other scenes.

radewagon

The PS5 game is using the exact same animation rigging etc.

It's an interesting comparison.

Looks better definitely and I love they're keeping the animation rigging but I have to say I vastly prefer the original color palette

This is actually kind of concerning. The higher fidelity models coupled with comparatively basic animations could result in a very jarring experience. We have already seen problems with matching new models with old animations on games like Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and the Arkham Asylum Remaster. And those games didn't have anywhere near as much of a gap to close. The older animation will probably be fine during gameplay, but the cutscenes could end up looking like uncanny valley times a million. Like, think that guy in Men In Black that's wearing a guy as a suit. Or like that shot in the original Terminator where Arnold removes his eye. That's what we could end up with. There simply won't be enough animation data to sell the realism. Part of my worry stems from the fact that a game with so much story was shown to us with a trailer with almost no shots of characters speaking. That's a bad sign.

Top Bottom