• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Delta New Trailer | Xbox Showcase 2024

METAL-GEAR-SOLID-%CE%94_-SNAKE-EATER---Official-Trailer-%231---Xbox-Games-Showcase-2024-1-47-screenshot.png

fKnFcdM.gif

Animated GIF

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The Boss model is not lore accurate and it's sad that Jim Piddock is gone as Major Zero:messenger_weary:

The game looks great though, I wonder if they updated the controls cuz it was a huge pain in the as to control Snake's directions while he's prone on the ground, which MGSV fixed with way more realistic movement system and animations.

RaduN

You are using some HD re-release of MGS3 in this comparison, that's missing all post processing effects. Actual ps2 or pcsx2 emulation are the only non-fucked up versions in existance.

The remake looks very detailed and crisp, no doubt whatsoever, but how can they not understand the importance of the original's colour filters choice and slightly dreamy light glow, is beyond me.
There must be at least one person in that fucking remake team that actually played the original and understood its intricacies, right? Right?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The facial expressions for all characters are slightly (or drastically, just look at the new ParaM) wrong in each and every one of those scenes.
Why the fuck?

(still a system seller for me, but c'mon, don't fuck up this shit)
They look the same, just with more detail. What are you on about?

This looks totally soulless and horrible, made by people who don’t get and don’t care about the original game.
It literally is the original game with better graphics. Did you even play the original?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
what are they gonna do with the mgs theme that they can’t reuse anymore?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Except for the weird faces, the graphic looks good enough for what is probably a cheap remake.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

This honestly looks amazing now that I checked the trailer again.The framerste is a bit iffy in places but they got the look down in most scenes.

But here's the thing... let's say it turns out that most scenes are too different from the original, it's still fine as we do have the original on current gen and you can just take it as an alternate version of it.

HL3.exe

Wait, it's a shot for shot remake. So still cramped level design because of PS2 limitations? Lame.

I expected a RE2 style remake where they actually used the leap in tech to enhance design. Not just do a aesthetic recreation. They even seem to reuse PS2 mocap. Weird. Whatever to appease the hardcore fans I guess.

Embearded

Every word is from the original recording.

I'm more curious about the legality of using the MGS theme here. Hopefully they secured the rights.
I don't think there ever was a legal matter.
Kojima decided to stop using it after he learned it wasn't original.

what are they gonna do with the mgs theme that they can’t reuse anymore?

They still "can". But I don't think they will promote it, but it will be in the game. Like the Shagohod battle cutscenes after the bridge collapse for example.

Kojima chose to not use it in promotion since MGS4, but it was in the game, before and after the epilogue with Solid Snake and Big Boss at the Arlington Cemetary.

Sviridov is long dead, and his family most probably won't proceeding with legal action anytime soon. Even if they did, most of the world wouldn't give a shit because of the current war, and most of the western world supports NATO/Ukraine.

maxresdefault.jpg

Konami

Is not that hard...

The pachinko CGI does look good and one of the early cries from fans to remake this.

But that doesn't mean the current models look bad. They look almost the same, but the lighting (ambient occlusion) makes one side of the face darker than the Pachinko CGI. I don't like Big Boss's hair, I'll give you that. Looks spikey and erratic, where the OG is way better.

Both, Big Boss and The Boss are bandanna swapped here, and it's disingenuous to make a 1:1 comparison, because almost ALL content shown till now is from the Virtuous Mission where she still wears the bandanna and Big Boss doesn't.

The only shot (in motion) where Big Boss runs towards the camera in the trailer where we can see his full face with the bandanna on (again, not completely 1:1 because he doesn't get his iconic eyepatch yet in the game) is during that gameplay bit where fires an RPG-7 onto that Hind, in the mountains before you enter Groznyg Grad, and that too is very dark because of the lighting in that scene (maybe done deliberately by Konami). All the other shots featuring Big Boss in the Snake Eater mission are in-game, with the camera on his back and no cutscenes of The Boss from Snake Eater is shown as of yet.

David was promoting the game a while back on Konami official channels, I won't be surprised if he got some new lines too.

Last edited:

RaduN

Kojima chose to not use it in promotion since MGS4, but it was in the game, before and after the epilogue with Solid Snake and Big Boss at the Arlington Cemetary.

MGS theme is not in MGS4.

Only the extra parts added to the theme by Gregson Williams in Snake Eater, are present in 4.

There are legal issues regardless of other factors, but i think Konami secured a deal back then, allowing them to use it in other re-releases of existing games that had the theme (MGS1, 2 and 3).
Hopefuly Delta will fall into this category and the theme will be there untouched.

VulcanRaven

They still "can". But I don't think they will promote it, but it will be in the game. Like the Shagohod battle cutscenes after the bridge collapse for example.

Sviridov is long dead, and his family most probably won't proceeding with legal action anytime soon. Even if they did, most of the world wouldn't give a shit because of the current war, and most of the western world supports NATO/Ukraine.

That music in the video is not the MGS main theme.

Only the extra parts added to the theme by Gregson Williams in Snake Eater, are present in 4.

That music in the video is not the MGS main theme.

Yes, that music is another rendition/re-arrangement of the main theme by Williams, before Forsell and Williams, both, discarded it in V. William didn't use it in PW too.

Now listen to the MGS3 theme.

This was before Kojima was shown Sviridov's work.

And lastly

This was only used during the epilogue and final credits, and yes, this IS the main theme, another rendition/re-arrangement.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Yes, that music is another rendition/re-arrangement of the main theme by Williams, before Forsell and Williams, both, discarded it in V. William didn't use it in PW too.
I'm not sure if I would even call it another rendition/re-arrangement. I have always seen it as something completely new made for MGS3 without any connection to the main theme song.

Last edited:
Walking down a river and seeing the ghosts of everyone you'd murdered thus far is one of the best moments of the game though.
My favorite is when Ocelot is spinning his revolvers to protect himself from The Pains hornets. It's these silly, over the top and supernatural elements that give the Metal Gear series its identity. It's telling such a serious story and yet somehow Kojima and his team was able to blend the two seamlessly. You just accept that yes, in this universe, Volgin can manipulate electricity or The Pain can manipulate hornets to his will. You don't question it because everything else is so engaging. Why Kojima felt the need to explain all this in MGS 4 with nano machines was a mistake.

There are legal issues regardless of other factors, but i think Konami secured a deal back then, allowing them to use it in other re-releases of existing games that had the theme (MGS1, 2 and 3).
Hopefuly Delta will fall into this category and the theme will be there untouched.
They just re-released the Master Collection with the theme intact, likely they've come to an agreement.

There were no deals back then, or now.

About copyright, you guys do understand that Japan is a western ally, right? After the war started, most gamedevs are not even releasing their games in Russia anymore, let alone enforcing copyright law or suing.

SCB3

Yea it was after 3's release that someone showed him the original song that sounded far too similar to the MGS theme, its a shame really as its so iconic, they can still use it, but like you said, Kojima never wanted to chance it either for artistic or legal reasons, its never been clear

Arachnid

This looks great, but it literally looks like the exact same game. They could have done something to evolve it. Especially after remakes like RE2/4 and Dead Space. I'm so tired of glorified remasters as remakes.

Now listen to the MGS3 theme.

This was before Kojima was shown Sviridov's work.

And lastly

This was only used during the epilogue and final credits, and yes, this IS the main theme, another rendition/re-arrangement.

Listen, I'm no music expert but I've been in music since kindergarten, reading sheet music, singing and playing in a band so take that for what it's worth. I'm not trying to be a know it all, but the MGS4 theme does not share the same composition as the 1-2 and 3 themes and the MGS4 theme never uses the main riff from those games. Never. It's obvious that the music was composed to evoke similarity, much like what I would consider to be a better example in Peace walkers main theme, which is about as close to the original without being outright plagiarism. I think it helps to visualize so I spent a few minutes making this VERY rudimentary visual aid. Try to hum the tunes in your head as you look at the music (it's not perfect but you get the idea). Sorry to derail.

T5DlYS1.jpeg

dotnotbot

Not necessarily. MGS1 theme is such a blatant copy (harmonics especially, but large parts of melody as well) that even if there weren't any legal issues, the only wise thing to do was to distance themselves from any accusations and alter the theme.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

This looks great, but it literally looks like the exact same game. They could have done something to evolve it. Especially after remakes like RE2/4 and Dead Space. I'm so tired of glorified remasters as remakes.
Gameplay looks different. It takes some things from the 3DS version and MGSV. Weapons system seems to have changes too. You can see Snake carrying a sniper rifle and RPG on his back. It hasn't been like that in any version.

Last edited:

RaduN

It's not the main theme, what the fuck man?

This is:

The one you keep saying it's the main theme from MGS4 (long after the plagiarism was discovered) only has the original sequences from the Snake Eater theme (which is a combination of original MGS theme and new melody) with everything related to the MGS main theme (which i linked) removed.

And it doesn't matter if now it's war and Japan is on this side, because when MGS4 was released (i hope i convinced you by now that there is no trace of original MGS theme in 4) there was no war.

The only hope is for the original deal to somehow cover this remake, just as it covers all HD remasters.

Top Bottom