• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumeira

Banned
I absolutely agree with you here. Sony made this mistake during their initial unveiling of the PS4 Pro and left many non-enthusiasts confused as to whether the Pro did anything outside of 4K.

Microsoft could really excel here by highlighting 1080p improvements. Especially if they have a decent game lineup planned for this year. Every game announced at their E3 press conference "needs" to show us performance on Scorpio vs Xbox One S first and foremost. IMO, 4K should be a footnote unless they somehow have a magical way to showcase it for the people who will watch via 1080p sets.

Yeah, i think MS will do a much better job for the layman, that difference is all that matters in real terms, which i feel they'll learn from Sony's botch job of a message. We had to get Gaffers scramble a thread together so they can assess what Pro games had to offer over PS4 games.

iHaunter

I don't see how Microsoft outsells Sony here.

With Sony's exclusives outshining Microsofts, Scorpio was supposed to be a "Game Changer." A bit disappointed since I was hoping for a 4K Console. =/

Isnt it 6tf ? So why disappointment ?

It's as we expected....At least we can get better fps than pro

It seems people were getting hyped that Scorpio might be better than what MS announced at E3 2016, and this document from July 2016 has now made them lose faith in their own hype (which makes no damn sense, if they were hyped about thinking there could be a recent upgrade, why does a July 2016 document suddenly make them disappointed? lol).

icespide

Banned

With Sony's exclusives outshining Microsofts, Scorpio was supposed to be a "Game Changer." A bit disappointed since I was hoping for a 4K Console. =/

don't really think MS cares about outselling Sony in terms of hardware at this point. It's all about getting a few more folks into their ecosystem

Completely agree. I've got a 2nd gen i5 in my laptop and I recently installed an SSD as the hard drive was dying and it feels brand new.

Props to Intel.

An intel CPU might not be a bad investment for the next gen of consoles, I'd pay 450-500 for a machine that I know would have legs considering how subtle the improvements in CPUs are lately.

c0de

It will be a 4k console, just more like the pro. In the end, both are "sort of" 4k consoles, just like now ps4 and xbox are both sort of 2k consoles.

-shrugs- your right.

Its a tick of mine to police these threads like i'm some sort of 'expectation manager'. Its honestly not a very good look, but i generally don't have much self control but to post

Don't feel you need to back down. You called a spade out for what it really was. No one has to wear kid gloves for anyone on here.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
And, as the PS4 demonstrates, pretty much all the developers disagree with you. Subsequently, I do expect Scorpio to be marketed as a 4k first an foremost (if this paper remains true).

Eff what the devs think, that's why I make it mandatory.

Show off Low/Med settings at 30fps (X1) vs High/Ultra settings at 60fps (Scorpio), consoles fly.

nynt9

Yeah, i think MS will do a much better job for the layman, that difference is all that matters in real terms, which i feel they'll learn from Sony's botch job of a message. We had to get Gaffers scramble a thread together so they can assess what Pro games had to offer over PS4 games.

Microsoft's incredible aggressive messaging will surely try very hard to drive the point. They had "best selling console. Only place to play 4K movies and games" last year despite being pretty misleading and now they will definitely go to town with the marketing. That's one thing we can give them.

That being said, these specs are disappointing. It won't really give them enough of a distinguishing factor to get a serious leg up on PS4. Maybe they'll outsell Sony in NA for a few months, but that's it.

Angel_DvA

Saiyan saga:

Switch in portable mode is Yamcha

Switch in docked mode is Krillin

PS4 Pro is Goku

Scorpio is Vegeta

Got it, thanks.

People were expecting Goku, but the reality was always Vegeta.

XS5LK.gif

zpiders

The entire power notion will mean nothing if MS don't have exclusives to the same volume and standard as Sony. The fact that going forward all Xbox games will be on PC means its DOA for people like me who already have a gaming PC.

I've actually been here pretty regularly posting. Not a ton, but I've been here when there is something to say.

The nature of my job makes it hard to comment on everything.

Stop it Albert. This is serious for some on here, like really serious. I saw someone post one of your comments on here from 2013, TODAY!! As some way to disparage your opinions and credibility.

And as you can see your post here triggers' two types of responses where some will be delighted with anything and everything you say and the other goes on the attack as their insecurities bubble to the surface.

Like I said, this is serious business for some. If I were you id pour a single malt, spark up a Cuban and piss my pants reading this thread as it goes one way then another.

How long till E3 again, lol.

It was the punchline to an old joke.

But saying 'people' as an item were hyped then disappointed by the info overlooks the fact that, ever since it was announced, a lot of voices asked to keep expectations in check until more info, while others outright stated that it was unlikely a fundamental architectural shift would be implemented.

I mean, maybe you personally were hyped by the speculations, but projecting that hype on others is hardly fair.
what are you talking about? In the Phil Spencer thread apparently a dev just stated today PS4P is half-assed and Scorpio is what a console release would look like in 2017? Come on, all of this hype isn't just manufactured out of GAF's ass.

MS also made it pretty clear in the marketing that Scorpio is a true 4K machine and it will be a magnitude better than what you were getting from Pro. GAF is crazy, but it ain't that crazy.

0racle

Regardless of numbers, I have a feeling this will sell very well in comparison to the Ps4 pro.

Microsoft will market the shit out of it. People don't even know the pro exists.

leeh

Wonder if that's what Frankie was referring to with the "its beefier than expected" comment?
You've raised a good point there. I wonder if the expected was the white paper and it's different? Hence the beefier as expected comment.

This paper is from July 2016 after all.

Regardless of numbers, I have a feeling this will sell very well in comparison to the Ps4 pro.

Microsoft will market the shit out of it. People don't even know the pro exists.
Pro sold like a quarter million in U.S in December and are having supply issues?

Seems more like wishful thinking on your part.

Raven77

Well if this is true, my prediction of Microsoft changing their message and making this a whole new console is unlikely.

Very disappointing if true.

p2535748

MS also made it pretty clear in the marketing that Scorpio is a true 4K machine and it will be a magnitude better than what you were getting from Pro. GAF is crazy, but it ain't that crazy.

Can you show this marketing? Has there been any marketing since last E3, when the Pro wasn't even announced?

This thread is weird.

Floex

If the report is true then what is the selling point to entice the Playstation market? Or even people on the fence?

Toki767

If the report is true then what is the selling point to entice the Playstation market? Or even people on the fence?

I don't think Microsoft really expects people to jump from PlayStation to Xbox with Scorpio.

They're really just trying to prevent people from leaving the Xbox ecosystem.

thelastword

Banned
No, he is factually incorrect. He said the Scorpio is equivalent to the PS4 Pro, which is only true if you ignore the huge 2.12 teraflops gap.
What 2.12 TF gap exactly? when you answer that...answer me this...

Take an RX480 downclocked like the PRO and overclock it so that it matches the 6TF math requirement, tell me how huge the framerate is going to be? Don't expect a 15-20fps increase, don't expect a 30fps increase....So when you say huge, it's impractical, it's basically the same GPU. the same architecture on the PRO upclocked. To make it more practical, take an RX 480 at it's current 5.8TF capacity, then increase it's memory and core frequency to match 7.8 or 8TF (MR), tell me how much you expect framerate to increase realistically?

Remember, these consoles will have the same GPU arch, based on the same reference model and the same can be said of the CPU too.....that says it all, with reference to perhaps tempering expectations in touted "huge performance gains over pro"...........

Head.spawn

Scorpio has the same mission as PS4 pro. If the ps4 pro came out in 2017, it'll have nearly the same specs.

Pretty much what should've been expected.

Phil Spencer even went as far as to say that if they launched 2016, it would've been about the same specs as the Pro.

Duxxy3

It's the same system they announced at E3.

Do people really not understand that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom