• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS4K / Neo spec leak is genuine, dev kits on their way to devs

Nikodemos

Well, to be honest, it does not say that, it says 'no changes' to the current drive. Maybe the current drive is already sufficient for UHD/4K combined with the new hardware. #paging jeff_rigby ;) My interpration is that developers will be stuck to 'regular' bluray discs because of file size limits that are enforced by sony.
Jeff_rigby said that the drive itself is 'physically' capable of reading all types of discs and the restrictions are on the software level. It may be that Sony will possibly enable UHD playback for PS4Neo via firmware, while not applying it to the regular, in order to create a tiered system. At any rate, rumours point to UHD being unavailable to gamedevs, in order to enforce asset parity between the two. Basically all rumours point to Sony being almost draconian in enforcing asset parity, with the only difference being framerate (and, potentially but unspokenly, PSVR modes).

ironcreed

Banned
I still don't get it. Why a slightly more powerful version? Who will be pleased by this?

People love their power, as do I. I am just presently perfectly happy with these systems and did not buy them in order to toss them aside after only 3 years so I can buy newer and more powerful versions that will feature the same games. Fuck new hardware already, I am still waiting for all of the software, as this generation is just getting started.

Alebrije

If the rumors are true about NX that is marginally better than PS4 , NX could be on par with PS4K.

This is interesting

pager99

so it's like having an already lopsided PC with a gash processor and mediocre graphics card and spending $400 for a mild overclock and a new decent graphics card, factoring a new case, psu, disc drives and motherboard into the cost because that's how you roll.
Nice damage controlling, this is basically a Slim revision ps4 with a hell of a boost there's nothing not to like

Midas

Devs wouldnt need a UHD Blu-ray drive. If games must be supported by both versions, games would be pressed on regular Blu-rays, I guess. Correct me if I'm wrong. Regular Blu-ray drives might be forward compatible?

Siever

Neo Member
I'm certain Microsoft and other companies already knew about this before the leak.

My question is how did it leak so fast and with as much details as we have seen? Either Sony has horrid security or this is intentional.

To have Neo-games at launch you have to give dev-kits way earlier. Dev-kits with documentation in the wild = LEAKS. It has been predicted for sure.

SpeedNut

Big pro for console gaming for me is to use my projector / HT setup. I'm stretched way too thin with consoles / PC as it is, and now we're going to crank up the $ burn rate with VR and hardware at the same time on consoles. I just can't do it.

And you know these devs are going to be lazy AF and not optimize for base PS4 after NEO comes out.

Z3M0G

If Sony releases an upgraded console every 2-3 years that still plays all games, I'm down.

I'm honestly OK with this too. Since I usually need to replace my console after 3 years or so anyways (though PS4 should last forever due to never using the disk drive). If Gamestop or BB take my current PS4 for $150, I would very likely take the jump.

But I still expect a Non-BC PS5 some time in the next 3-4 years. They won't just keep doing this forever.

If they do it once more, games would need to support 3 modes (Base / Neo / Trinity)... and I could see dev's saying "enough is enough".

With all the talk of how 'balanced' the ps4 hardware was when it was released this is a weird change. More than double the gpu without doubling the (already weakest link) cpu.

If DF is right and they use polaris then at least the memory bandwidth will not be an issue, as it (and fiji before it, and maxwell for nvidia) has new color compression support that greatly reduces the bandwidth needed.

If it still uses gcn 1.1 then then that would make two weird choices, as they'd be memory bandwidth starved

so it's like having an already lopsided PC with a gash processor and mediocre graphics card and spending $400 for a mild overclock and a new decent graphics card, factoring a new case, psu, disc drives and motherboard into the cost because that's how you roll.

Yeah I don't get it either.

The gpu in ps4 is fine ,really, for 1080p 60 fps with somewhat reasonable settings.

Instead of a much needed cpu upgrade they just put in a disproportionally more powerful gpu that is doomed to be bottlenecked, so developers will still be forced to choose 30fps with shinier graphics as 60 fps will be off the table due to the cpu (open world games for example)

Even if you don't care about framerates, graphically a lot of ps4 games suffer from very poor draw and shadow distances and those are not the gpu's fault. And a better gpu is not going to fix that. A better cpu would have fixed that and improved graphics hugely by making them more consistent rather than pretty up close and garbage at a distance (no more annoying distracting pop in or potato cereal box builtings at a distance)

If I had to choose between an i5 and a hd7850 (with200GB memory bandwidth and plenty of vram) or a c2quad with an r9 380x it would be the easiest choice ever.
I remember sony proudly announcing the death of pop in with the ps2 launch, and these days it's back with a vengeance.

In the dark souls 3 thread I see a lot of people wish they could play it at 60 fps instead of 30 and it would seem like such a no brainer goal for an upgraded console, but it's not happening if the cpu performance stays the same

And I've just bought a 65" 4k TV, seems good time to take a PS4 for me so
You can't say you bought a 65" 4K HDTV and not tell us what model! This year's round of 4K HDTVs are nearly hitting the UHD specs. I'm of the ilk that now and moving forward is a good time to make the jump.

NX could be on par with PS4K.

I doubt it. My bet is Nintendo is going with an APU with K12 AMD ARM new cores + Polaris 11 (similar in performance to PS4). After all one of the AMD semicustom design wins was ARM based and Nintendo is still the best suited for it because of allowing them to merge desktop+handheld+mobile programming.

Jeff_rigby said that the drive itself is 'physically' capable of reading all types of discs and the restrictions are on the software level. It may be that Sony will possibly enable UHD playback for PS4Neo via firmware, while not applying it to the regular, in order to create a tiered system. At any rate, rumours point to UHD being unavailable to gamedevs, in order to enforce asset parity between the two. Basically all rumours point to Sony being almost draconian in enforcing asset parity, with the only difference being framerate (and, potentially but unspokenly, PSVR modes).

Ah, ok this explains it much more, I was flabbergasted as to why there was no mention at all regarding 4k/uhd support. It's a needed feature on a upgraded ps4. Thanks for the explanation.

To all the complainers. What is the downside if you could still play all released games on the PS4? Also, when this Neo happens I will have no problem enjoying my base PS4 in my room and the PS4k in the living room.

With all the talk of how 'balanced' the ps4 hardware was when it was released this is a weird change. More than double the gpu without doubling the (already weakest link) cpu.

If DF is right and they use polaris then at least the memory bandwidth will not be an issue, as it (and fiji before it, and maxwell for nvidia) has new color compression support that greatly reduces the bandwidth needed.

If it still uses gcn 1.1 then then that would make two weird choices, as they'd be memory bandwidth starved

Yeah I don't get it either.

The gpu in ps4 is fine ,really, for 1080p 60 fps with somewhat reasonable settings.

Instead of a much needed cpu upgrade they just put in a disproportionally more powerful gpu that is doomed to be bottlenecked, so developers will still be forced to choose 30fps with shinier graphics as 60 fps will be off the table due to the cpu (open world games for example)

Even if you don't care about framerates, graphically a lot of ps4 games suffer from very poor draw and shadow distances and those are not the gpu's fault. And a better gpu is not going to fix that. A better cpu would have fixed that and improved graphics hugely by making them more consistent rather than pretty up close and garbage at a distance (no more annoying distracting pop in or potato cereal box builtings at a distance)

If I had to choose between an i5 and a hd7850 (with200GB memory bandwidth and plenty of vram) or a c2quad with an r9 380x it would be the easiest choice ever.
I remember sony proudly announcing the death of pop in with the ps2 launch, and these days it's back with a vengeance.
I completely agree.

Buggy Loop

Im kind of glad i didnt buy consoles this gen, what a clusterfuck. And peoples are accepting this? Wow.

We went from full games -> DLCs -> p2w -> seasons pass

And now from full gen console -> upgrades?

You guys are eating whatever shitstew the industry is stirring right? I feel like all those Jimquisition speeches flew above your heads.

barit

I hope this crashes and burns. Don't let them get away with this!! Milking their customers like nothing ffs. The PS4 is strong enough for the next 3+ years. 1st party games look and run perfect on PS4. Is it just for all the crappy multiplat titles? Just because publishers don't give a fuck about perfomance and optimizing anymore? Why would anyone think that this will be different with PS4K? We already have tons of 3rd party Remasters that should be easily 60fps+ on PS4 and you know what? They aren't because it would cost too much time and effort. The same will happen with PS4K. More stable framerate my ass. EA, Ubisoft, Activison and how they all called will always take the fastest and cheapest way to get their big franchises out and you can bet that even on PS4K the framerate will drop and you will have lowrezz textures in some areas and missing AF and so on. It's so useless god damn.

Z3M0G

People should probably read tbe articles, or at least the briefs.

It's been repeated many times that the PS4K "NEO" will be sold alongside the PS4.

PS4 1080p $299
NEO 4K $399

I said "removed from shelves", but perhaps I should have just said "phased out". They may stop manufacturing them and just sell off current stock.

Software fully compatible across both Base and Neo, just as expected. They even forbid Neo exclusivity.
Polaris is what I find fascinating, so many processing units on that chip now.

AmFreak

But it still doesn't explain why the gaming upgrade is necessary? They could do the media upgrade to the PS4 without messing with anything that'd impact the visuals. The PS4 is currently tracking ahead of where it was last year. Why mess with that?

cggp3xmwiaarwgu25f8c.jpg

So, this year alone you've got people buying PS4's at a record pace, and yet you're about to tell every one of those people in a few months that had they just waited they could've got an even more powerful PS4. As there was no way for those people to even know that Sony would be pulling this shit. That's why DF is asking "why". From Sony's perspective this makes no sense as everything is going right for them.

The explanation for me since the beginning has been that it is a counter to Xbox One.5 or whatever it will be called.

Lilphish

Neo Member
Here's hoping you can just swap the hard drive from the current PS4. I already bought a larger drive and have a ton of games installed on it.

Sciortino

I hope this crashes and burns. Don't let them get away with this!! Milking their consumers like nothing ffs. The PS4 is strong enough for the next 3+ years. 1st party games looking and running perfect on PS4. Is it just for all the crappy multiplat titles? Just because publishers don't give a fuck about perfomance and optimizing anymore? Why would anyone think that this will be different with PS4K? We already have tons of 3rd party Remasters that should be easily 60fps+ on PS4 and you know what? They aren't because it would cost too much time and effort. The same will happen with PS4K. More stable framerate my ass. EA, Ubisoft, Activison and how they all called will always take the fastest and cheapest way to get their big franchises out and you can bet that even on PS4K the framerate will drop and you will have lowrezz textures in some areas and missing AF and so on. It's so useless god damn.
Is someone pointing a gun at you to buy it? I don't understand this insane overreaction.

Trup1aya

Man, I must say, I was actually interested in the idea of mid-gen performance boosts. It seems that the requirement that all PS4 games support the existing hardware should alleviate any concerns of people getting left out. Make no mistake about it, most devs will be focused primarily on making sure the ps4.0 version is a good as it can be, since that's where the installed base is. If anyone is at risk of being left out, it's early Neo adopters.

That said I'm beginning to worry about devs having to stretch there resources to support all of this new hardware. Hearing devs talk here, it doesn't seem as trivial as I would have though. I wonder if we'll be in a state of perpetual "cross-gen-ish" development cycles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
*Goes to press the pre-order button for the Uncharted 4 Limited Edition console, to replace launch unit...*

*Sees this thread...*

*Slowly backs away, and will be a patient little bee.*

2016 really has been crazy when referring to the videogame industry and we're only half way through April!

So, by Xmas, we could be looking at 2 new consoles with increased power and we can be sure as hell that Microsoft wont want to be left far behind.

Seeing that this is a thing, can we speculate about the games i.e Ps4 base games at normal price and Neo games at 10-20 £/$ more? That could be a real momentum killer...

Metfanant

I'm really interested in hearing an honest answer from the crowd calling for a CPU upgrade...

What CPU? It's easy to name CPUs that are more powerful than Jaguar...but find me the tech that's going to fit within the existing architecture of the PS4? What APU does AMD have with a better CPU? What CPU would fit?

They don't exist...

Top Bottom