• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Review Thread - The Fury Road of Shooters

Karak

Wolfenstein's well-realized cast of characters makes it an overall more memorable game to me, but I like them both about the same, for different reasons.

I can see that for sure. But this is odd, I can't remember half of Wolf. And I liked it a lot. But for some reason going back to Hell will probably be with me for years.

I don't mind the IGN review both if its final or if its not. The issue I have is that the review itself is actually poor from a function standpoint. It doesn't cover a good deal of the requisites and typical for them, doesn't give most gamers an an idea of the game and how it feels, other than their rote "this is what we did" speeches that they give. This is always bore out by the fact that a good deal of gamers continue to have issues figuring out how they go to where they are in their verdict.

ManeKast

I'm really glad I picked it up based on day 1 GAF impressions rather than waiting for reviews. I love it.

What I find quite frightening is gamers who won't buy/wait for bargain bin (or worse, EBgames 7 day free rental/return) because it's not 50hrs single player or 50-100+hrs of addicting/grinding multiplayer.

What happened in the last 5-10yrs that made people demand quantity over quality?

Acerac

Banned
This belongs in the list of top 5 FPS games of all time. It's that good.
People were saying Bioshock: Infinite was the best FPS ever when it first came out. Give it some breathing room.

Still, this game seems way cooler than I had expected. I won't be getting this game at full price, but I'll certainly need to play it at some point.

Grief.exe

People were saying Bioshock: Infinite was the best FPS ever when it first came out. Give it some breathing room.

Thankfully that came toppling down quickly after the honeymoon period.

You will still have some people pop into GAF threads surprised it is not a good game, the first impression of the game was just that good.

I'm really glad I picked it up based on day 1 GAF impressions rather than waiting for reviews. I love it.

What I find quite frightening is gamers who won't buy/wait for bargain bin (or worse, EBgames 7 day free rental/return) because it's not 50hrs single player or 50-100+hrs of addicting/grinding multiplayer.

What happened in the last 5-10yrs that made people demand quantity over quality?

F2P and mobile I wager.

This occurred prior to F2P/Mobile became more prevalent.

I would personally argue that it is mainly immaturity.

Young people possess less money and infinitely more time, they would prefer to have longer games and are willing to look past their shortcomings. Those that are older have significantly less time, and are willing to spend money on great experiences regardless of how long they last.

Metal-Geo

I can see that for sure. But this is odd, I can't remember half of Wolf. And I liked it a lot. But for some reason going back to Hell will probably be with me for years.

See, that is odd to me.

Wolfenstein had pretty distinctive levels/missions: the castle, prison, camp, boat, moon, etc... DOOM 2016 is basically: inside a space station, outside a space station and a couple of Hells. :p

Tagyhag

It's such a wonderful surprise.

I had no hopes for the game, but after seeing actual M/KB gameplay I was right back on board. Glad to see that's still accurate.

Inviusx

It's going to be interesting watching IGN try to justify a 7.1. "It's too fast, the imps are annoying, no female character option, maps are convoluted."

tesqui

Doom has always been first and foremost a singleplayer experience. The fact that it has Multiplayer is a nice added bonus. Saying that it's a big part of the experience is crazy.

Now if we were talking about Quake, then that's a whole other story.

antitrop

You will still have some people pop into GAF threads surprised it is not a good game, the first impression of the game was just that good.

Bioshock Infinite was GAF's #2 Game of 2013, right after The Last of Us and even beating Grand Theft Auto V. Voting took place 9 months after release, well after any so-called honeymoon period.

Bioshock Infinite is one of those games where the vocal minority gets so loud that the people who do like it don't even bother discussing it, which leads to one-sided conversations giving the impression everyone hates it.

Tainted

I dont think this thread should turn into a Bioshock bashing thread....but that is entirely your opinion. I think B:I was and still is an awesome game and rightfully deserves its #2 spot in GAF 2013 GOTY.

If there was a supposed 'honeymoon' period as you put it, it would have exited that period well before the voting began 9 months later.

-edit- Pretty much word for word in what antitrop just said..sorry about that, didn't see it before hitting reply. Great minds and all that :)

I wasn't sold on TNO but part of that was me going in with different expectations than what I got. I was pleasantly surprised by the story but didn't like all the downtime and hated the bosses/big enemies. This seems like pure shooting nirvana which is what I wanted from TNO after seeing those crazy gifs.

Schnozberry

I don't think it's demanding quantity over quality, it's just wanting to feel like you've gotten $60 worth of value, and that's a different thing for everybody.

Doom feels refreshing because it's somewhat of a throwback to the days before sloppy cover mechanics and regenerating health dramatically slowed the pace of shooter games. It feels like you rediscovered the first car you ever loved, except it's pristine with a fresh coat of paint. For someone who played Doom on his old ass Packard Bell 486DX2, it's the best kind of mix between nostalgia and modern game design.

Bioshock Infinite was GAF's #2 Game of 2013, right after The Last of Us and even beating Grand Theft Auto V. Voting took place 9 months after release, well after any so-called honeymoon period.

Bioshock Infinite is one of those games where the vocal minority gets so loud that the people who do like it don't even bother discussing it, which leads to one-sided conversations giving the impression everyone hates it.

This is pretty spot-on, don't even get me started on trying to compare 2 to 1, you'd think 1 birthed some of those people's children or something and 2 subsequently raped them and slit their throats.

2> Infinite> 1

Are there any sites that separate the SP score from the MP score? I really want to read more impressions of the campaign.

I'll pick this up for $15 on Black Friday. Nice to see it turned out better than expected after the review shenanigans though.

I'll probably do something similar. Mostly because I don't need to pay full price for a game whose MP I'll never play.

Karak

See, that is odd to me.

Wolfenstein had pretty distinctive levels/missions: the castle, prison, camp, boat, moon, etc... DOOM 2016 is basically: inside a space station, outside a space station and a couple of Hells. :p

Well you basically just listed levels many games have or have had:) Which, maybe as a reviewer, is why they run together over time. Not sure but like I said liked the game. Just didn't stick in my brainpan:)
But again its awesome people liked it as did I. Doom just has better gameplay and feedback and trades that distinction with some pretty awesome old school layered level design

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Solid game imo. I liked the MP so much during the Beta, that I reinstalled TF2. But now, I don't it very appealing after a dozen hours of Tf2 :(

The SP? I treasure games where I don't need to cover. This, RAGE, Wolfestein are my favorite class of FPSes.

It's a joke. That quote is actually from an Alien Resurrection review, one of the first games to use dual stick FPS controls.

I still find the setup cumbersome, though.

Snaku

Banned
Dat thread title.

5mPQjR9.gif

Inviusx

Why read when you can watch? Check out Giant Bomb's quicklook

Yeah the guys are super positive about it which nice. More surpringly though is that Jeff seems pumped about it. He even tweeted that the campaign seems to get better and better.

I think if the review goes to Jeff or Brad they will go 5/5. I dont think the MP will factor much into their score.

Is the multiplayer an arena shooter? If so, Im going to pick it up very soon. I miss onlind arena shooters so much.

It is but impressions from the beta were middling and I personally thought it was pretty bad for several reasons. If you're expecting Quake like boosting and speed.... don't.

Metal-Geo

Grief.exe

I dont think this thread should turn into a Bioshock bashing thread....but that is entirely your opinion. I think B:I was and still is an awesome game and rightfully deserves its #2 spot in GAF 2013 GOTY.

If there was a supposed 'honeymoon' period as you put it, it would have exited that period well before the voting began 9 months later.

-edit- Pretty much word for word in what antitrop just said..sorry about that, didn't see it before hitting reply. Great minds and all that :)

My theory is the opening impressions and the rollercoaster ending left good tastes in the minds of players, but the game overall, felt like a direct downgrade to Bioshock 2.

Two weapon limit, every enemy is bullet sponge on harder difficulties, homogeneous weapons, bad level design.

This is pretty spot-on, don't even get me started on trying to compare 2 to 1, you'd think 1 birthed some of those people's children or something and 2 subsequently raped them and slit their throats.

2> Infinite> 1

Bioshock 2 is for sure the best in the series.

breakfuss

Thank you.

solid worthless post. go you!

How is it a worthless? I expected this game to be awful with the way they were handling the review copies. I'm glad it turned out OK. The hyperbole about it being the Fury Road of shooters I don't believe for a second though, but it went from a don't care at all to buy when it's cheap. Sorry it irks you that I'm not more impressed. Review threads are not only for cheerleaders.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Huh... this is exactly how I feel.

ive only played an hour or so this morning but wow. what a ride. i can understand the "new crowd" that is used to long cutscenes, some handholding, lots of dialogue, story etc not feeling it too much, but personally, i love it. Ive been wanting a fast paced balls to the wall twitch fps for so long. Had no idea doom would end up being this good!

Tainted

My theory is the opening impressions and the rollercoaster ending left good tastes in the minds of players, but the game overall, felt like a direct downgrade to Bioshock 2.

Two weapon limit, every enemy is bullet sponge on harder difficulties, homogeneous weapons, bad level design.

Bioshock 2 is for sure the best in the series.

Again, that's your opinion and many people here will disagree with you. I actually found Bioshock 2 to be the weakest in the series (Minerva's Den aside) and I found the setting of B:I to be so refreshing in its departure from rapture (at least in the main game). Narratively, it was the strongest in the series easily for me.

Karak

How is it a worthless? I expected this game to be awful with the way they were handling the review copies. I'm glad it turned out OK. The hyperbole about it being the Fury Road of shooters I don't believe for a second though, but it went from a don't care at all to buy when it's cheap. Sorry it irks you that I'm not more impressed. Review threads are not only for cheerleaders.

Ya can't see much wrong with that. Then again I don't know anyone who liked Fury Road. That was actually how I found out about the thread in the first place from people teasing the title lol
Opinions and all that.

Top Bottom