• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veil Guard Reveal Trailer (Fall 2024)| Xbox Showcase

semiconscious

Gold Member
the industry's very obviously been overwhelmed by this unstoppable wave of 'wholesome violence', first capitalized on by the marvel superhero movies. lighthearted chaos/death/destruction. while i used to love the (mostly) wholesome violence in the early ratchet & clank games, those games exist in a cartoon world, & weren't 'reality based' in the same way that the majority of these new games are, to the extent you're playing what are supposed to be adult human characters. i've become more & more wary of the media's attempt to blur the lines in people's minds as to what, exactly, separates fantasy from reality, & wholesome violence seems to completely embody this effort. endless havoc-wreaking, all while attempting to come across as upbeat, 'welcoming', & 'charming'...

anyway, here's hoping that trailer's more of a flashy, 'clever' sales pitch than an actual indication of game content...

Sephimoth

IoctUiL.jpeg

black-man-laugh.gif

simpatico

So even beyond the look, I could hate this even if it was entirely text based. A rag tag team of mostly female tavern dwellers decide to take on a god (and they win). Alternating between arrows and quips, nothing stands in this team's way. Detective, dragon hunter and veil guard are all trash. We don't even have to hear their dialog to know how they're going to respond to situations. "unn ugh girl no you didn't. Let me show you some sass!" "we can take on anything because we believe in ourselves!"

I feel you, Mass Effect is very special for me too but unfortunately I have absolutely no faith into the Bioware of 2024+. Even if I secretly hope to be proven wrong as there is nothing to win with a bad game :(

The sad thing is i thought the feel and combat in Andromeda and Anthem were excellent in the third person field. Really good , Anthem’s in particular would have made for a solid Iron Man game.

It’s just everything else really….

And you’re right, it’s in fans interests that games knock it out of the park , sadly for all the technology advancements that are made , some games and studios it seems lack the spirit and mindset to be as good or better than what’s come before.

Senua

Gold Member
the industry's very obviously been overwhelmed by this unstoppable wave of 'wholesome violence', first capitalized on by the marvel superhero movies. lighthearted chaos/death/destruction. while i used to love the (mostly) wholesome violence in the early ratchet & clank games, those games exist in a cartoon world, & weren't 'reality based' in the same way that the majority of these new games are, to the extent you're playing what are supposed to be adult human characters. i've become more & more wary of the media's attempt to blur the lines in people's minds as to what, exactly, separates fantasy from reality, & wholesome violence seems to completely embody this effort. endless havoc-wreaking, all while attempting to come across as upbeat, 'welcoming', & 'charming'...

anyway, here's hoping that trailer's more of a flashy, 'clever' sales pitch than an actual indication of game content...
It's a cancer

ZehDon

That may have been the worst trailer I have ever seen in my life.

Holy fuck.
Ok, finished watching the show, and yeah - it's either this or that card shooter thing for the absolute low point. But considering Dragon Age started out Origins... the sheer fucking decline really makes this the worst video game trailer I've ever seen. Even Halo's trailers remained good as the series turned to dog shit. This one actually hurt.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
I didn't like the trailer, but I wasn't as appalled as most of you. I guess I haven't seen enough Fortnite or mobile game trailers, so I didn't realize how "by the numbers" this was. It just seemed cheesy and overtly "representational" to me. Someone said it looked like a GaaS game that had been retooled. That captures it pretty well.

I have pretty much lost hope of this turning out well, but I want to see gameplay before I call it quits.

Wheres the gameplay?

Scheduled for June 11.

phant0m

this, and I haaaaaaaate it

and I honestly liked it when it was Marvel's (somewhat) unique "style". but now everybody rips it off wholesale and it's so fucking tired

at least we got DD2 for a dark fantasy RPG fix this year. still going to watch the gameplay reveal but I have very low expectations

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

semiconscious

Gold Member
this, and I haaaaaaaate it

and I honestly liked it when it was Marvel's (somewhat) unique "style". but now everybody rips it off wholesale and it's so fucking tired

at least we got DD2 for a dark fantasy RPG fix this year. still going to watch the gameplay reveal but I have very low expectations
well, what with it being an empire built on comic books, which, up till now, had been understood to be primarily of interest to juveniles, marvel's approach in their movies was fundamentally a step beyond previous comic book movies (still understood to be primarily targeting juveniles), & a deliberate, & highly successful 'children of all ages' take that basically starts with the classic 'charming rogue' thing & turns it up to 11, where everyone has a quick witty retort for fucking anything anyone else says. combine this with the new definition of 'wholesomeness' (now slathered in woke ideology, for whatever reason), & you've got a supposedly crowd-pleasing formula that one can simply transpose from one game to another. repeatedly. endlessly...

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
So Bioware is dead after all huh? Dragon Age: Origins remains one of the best RPG experiences I've ever had, not feeling this at all. Will wait for the gameplay trailer before writing it off completely but I'm not optimistic it will change my mind.

Last edited:

Fake

Someone gonna bet this gonna happen?
Several employees adopted the term “toxic positivity” to describe the culture of the company, which discouraged criticism. Leadership didn’t seem worried, they say, even as other traditionally single-player game studios that chased the live-service trend were delivering abysmal results with games such as Anthem (which earned a lowly score of 59 out of 100 on Metacritic), Marvel’s Avengers (67 out of 100) and Redfall (56 out of 100).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
OMG! What the fuck I just saw?

lol.gif

It's an effin' disaster from top to bottom. Why is this even called Dragon Age? It looks more like a hero looter shooter GaaS without guns. Fuckin' hell BioWare. Just effin' cancel this shit and don't embrace yourself even more. My god. Jesus.

Riiiiiiiiiiight. That reads like the same boilerplate "hype" people on social media was posting about Redfall.

"I played it, it was really good guyze! The trailer wasn't indicative of quality!"
Shinobi is not one to overhype a game. From everything I have seen, he is a very reserved leaker. Not hyperbolic at all

I trust him more than I do some mediocre CGI trailer. Also, other insiders have confirmed the Dragon Age has come along nicely

Ah yes, Shinobi - the guy that gaslighted his son over being a trans ally.

The game will be a definition of “press A for Awesome” type of gameplay.
Nah, it's supposed to be more like God of War style of gameplay. We will see. I'm not going to bash a game heavily before any gameplay reveal just because of the director being trans, like most of this forum is doing

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Oh the tears on this forum when the game is actually really good.
No chance in hell with current BioWare and at least if we're talking about Dragon Age.
Also, who even cares if BG3 already exists and miles better than the last 2 Dragon Age games and ME Andromeda combined?

There is a full gameplay reveal in a few days
giphy.gif

No chance in hell with current BioWare and at least if we're talking about Dragon Age.
Also, who even cares if BG3 already exists and miles better than the last 2 Dragon Age games and ME Andromeda combined?

giphy.gif
BG3 is turn based combat, not similar at all. Games going to be quite good, imo. The hate for it is going to 10x worse than TLOU2. The meltdown of the people of this forum will be legendary. So many people going to be triggered. I'm here for it

Kumomeme

need to see the gameplay first

rumors of it going action combat pique my interest but since it is made by western devs, i hold my breath first

RavageX

You know what? I wish that "current" gamers would lose interest. Maybe then the fortnite chasers and other "bigwigs" would move on to wanting to work with whatever the next "thing" is and leave gaming alone.

Wishful thinking I know.

Oh the tears on this forum when the game is actually really good. There is a full gameplay reveal in a few days

I dont know who that is, or why his opinion would carry any weight. I do know if he claims to be such a fan and liked DA 2 and ME Andromeda then he is full of shit.

For me the GOTY version of Inquisition was fine. I know a lot of people had issues with it, but come on. I think id rather play 2 again than this. And I HATED every minute of that game.

Madflavor

Gold Member
You know what? I wish that "current" gamers would lose interest. Maybe then the fortnite chasers and other "bigwigs" would move on to wanting to work with whatever the next "thing" is and leave gaming alone.

Wishful thinking I know.

I dont know who that is, or why his opinion would carry any weight. I do know if he claims to be such a fan and liked DA 2 and ME Andromeda then he is full of shit.

For me the GOTY version of Inquisition was fine. I know a lot of people had issues with it, but come on. I think id rather play 2 again than this. And I HATED every minute of that game.

I could be mistaken but I also seem to remember him praising Andromeda.

Top Bottom