• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Early Preview Thread

Dazraell

Gold Member
It's okay. Looks better than reveal trailer, that's for sure. But I was hoping all of these rumors about DA going full action-RPG route won't be true. Will probably play it, but my feelings over this are very mixed. Visually it looks fine, but I'm not digging the overall aesthetics and the color palette they picked. Protagonist's voice also feels very mismatched with the character model

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Those characters...

That writing...

That linear treadmill design...

That brainless combat...

embarassed-for-you.gif

I think this will be the last chance for bioware , and from whatever Ive seen this will be a mid game.
Games like baldurs gate 3 exists which it will be compared with and will probably fall short of it

Why is everything smeared with vaseline and purple? I was thinking that the new Dragon Age color scheme reminds me of something and then I realised it's the Resetera color scheme lol.

I'm going to withhold judgment for now, but it can't be worse than Inquisition. That game really sucked. Would have like DA:O type combat but obviously that's not gonna happen. Combat looked pretty lame.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I realize it's a video game and there's always going to be suspension of disbelief, but I laughed at the part where it was like "Look like the Venatori put up a barrier to block the way" and you just do one weak slash to it and the barrier disappears. Really effective putting up a barrier that has a crystal in the middle you can easily slash to remove the barrier. Effective magic.

Graphics look competent, but the artstyle makes it look like a luxury mobile game. Why is it so colorful. Why do weapons look like happy meal toys. Gameplay doesn't look amazing either, but this is early game, maybe later cooler skills improves things. Hope you can turn off those distracting health bars, might help with the presentation.

Ah well, I will probably still buy it and moan.. unless reviews are awful. But feels a bit like another Andromeda.

Its using frosbyte. This is how Inquisition also looked. I actually like that its vibrant.

D837B4576E3D13DC45964E753568A0A0D5284A28

2B2DD67F084147FC38FD1E461D9A3871935AFBDE

I never expected them to go back to origins style and anyone who did was delusional. It has nothing to do with "Fornite" or whatever.

Zheph

I realize it's a video game and there's always going to be suspension of disbelief, but I laughed at the part where it was like "Look like the Venatori put up a barrier to block the way" and you just do one weak slash to it and the barrier disappears. Really effective putting up a barrier that has a crystal in the middle you can easily slash to remove the barrier. Effective magic.
Magic Stay Home GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I'm really not feeling that cast tbh, the only one interesting seems the dwarf female. Purely based on looks and previous trailer.
Maybe because she is a returning character from inquisition. I quite liked her in inquisition, her reaction to inquisitor's flirt was super cute.

Dazraell

Gold Member
I also had a good laugh when they had a debacle why he can't destroy the pillar because it'll be suicide and they just breezed through towards that pillar like it was a threadmill run lol

Aenima

Gameplay and art direction looks mediocre at best. As a fan of Dragon Age i might still play it when the game drops to 10-20€.

Doom85

Btw what's with all these female RPG characters looking like offshoots of Aloy lately? It's really bizarre:

z1x01.jpg

You do realize Harding was a character in Inquisition, right? And honestly, she looks better here than in that game.

Edit: huh, she doesn’t look too bad in the post above me, but the other images I saw were not as great looking.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
You do realize Harding was a character in Inquisition, right? And honestly, she looks better here than in that game.

Edit: huh, she doesn’t look too bad in the post above me, but the other images I saw were not as great looking.
No I didn't, I played Inquisition like a decade ago and remember zero about it.

Stafford

Combat looks way better than Dragon's Dogma 2 and this is the very beginning of the game. I wish we got to see more open area hubs, which the game certainly has, but very solid first impression. Still hate the oversaturation of neon purple. Just a terrible color, but I'm sure that is just representative of this one area

That was one big ass skill tree too. I'm sure hands on previews will drop soon.
I haven't played DD2 myself, but the combat is often praised to the high heavens. This for you is seriously better?

IGN article with quotes from the female game director
https://www.ign.com/articles/dragon-age-the-veilguard-the-first-preview

So with that in mind, let’s talk a bit about Dragon Age: The Veilguard’s battle system, which reduces the party size from four to three and in so doing becomes more action forward than ever. It features what Busche calls “sophisticated animation canceling and branching,” with the design centered around dodging, countering, and using risk-reward charge attacks designed to break enemy armor layers. Much of its strategy lives in its ability wheel, which stops the action either by tapping or holding the shoulder button and allows you to issue orders as you see fit. In particular, companions can be kitted out as support units and healers, which Busche cites as a big player request after Inquisition.

“The combat system is an interesting challenge going into the fourth iteration of this game because as you know, every Dragon Age has reinvented combat to some degree,” Busche explains. “Of course, pause and play strategy is always the backbone of it. But what that means is that, in addition to fans of all three prior games and welcoming in an entirely new generation of fans, we've got a pretty diverse player base to accommodate to.”

Last edited:

Vlodril

This looks even less of an rpg than DAI somehow..

Also at least inquisition had some good looking characters. I am not feeling any of the new ones so far.

Top Bottom