• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable is targeting a Q4 2025 release and Gears of War: E-Day is targeting 2025.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Gears-of-War-Fable-Remaster.jpg

From The Verge latest Notepad:

King’s appearance had me smiling from the start, alongside the subtle sarcasm and British humor throughout. Fable’s developer, Playground Games, is best known for the Forza Horizon series that always pushes the visual limits of the Xbox hardware, and it looks like it’s going to do the same here. Sources tell me Microsoft is currently targeting Fable to release between October and December 2025, so it could still be another 18 months away.
Microsoft didn’t put a date or release window on Gears of War: E-Day**, but a few months back, I’d heard it was targeting a release in 2025 — ahead of even** Fable. That may have changed by now, so the lack of a release window gives The Coalition some breathing room here. Either way, I don’t think we’ll have to wait too long to see how Gears can really push the Xbox Series S / X consoles.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gears in 2025 would be a fucking miracle. But I'm all the way fucking hyped for it!

Based on what we saw, Fable looked like it was farther along and *that* I can easily see making 2025.

How well has Gears of War aged? Never played them before but thinking about getting caught up.

Very well. The cover mechanics are very easy to pick up and play, and all the Gears games can be played at 60fps (some even with resolution boosts) on SX.

The first 2 games may feel a little too gray but that was 'the shit' back when they came out.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
How well has Gears of War aged? Never played them before but thinking about getting caught up.
I just played 0 - 3. Playing 4 now. Very well.

Best to play a chapter a day or something, and mix it in with other games so you don't burn yourself out. Just arcade action.

If you never played them then I think they've aged well. The formula just gets a bit old after 3 games for me. I tried to play 5 but I was just done with the series\formula.

Topher

Gold Member
Do you like to Stop and Pop? If so your going to like them.

Stop and pop? You mean like cover shooter? Yeah, I like those.

Very well. The cover mechanics are very easy to pick up and play, and all the Gears games can be played at 60fps (some even with resolution boosts) on SX.

The first 2 games may feel a little too gray but that was 'the shit' back when they came out.

I just played 0 - 3. Playing 4 now. Very well.

Best to play a chapter a day or something, and mix it in with other games so you don't burn yourself out. Just arcade action.

If you never played them then I think they've aged well. The formula just gets a bit old after 3 games for me. I tried to play 5 but I was just done with the series\formula.

Well shit.....guess I'm playing Gears this weekend. Thanks guys

Kuranghi

*massive exhale with flapping lips*

Thats quite wank really, why is Fable still so far away, god I'm struggling to even care anymore. Gears is clearly just beginning development so that timeframe makes sense, what have they been doing with Fable all the time since we saw that reveal trailer??

The Fable video looked controlled beyond even a vertical slice, I bet it was a pre-rendered in-engine video basically, the bit where she throws the rock at the guy for example, the cinematic camera angle and animation made it look like a Valor Surge from HFW. Like something the heads of department would show to visiting CEOs in a ppt presentation to give an idea of what the game will be like before its entered full development.

Is Indiana Jones out this year? I googled and it just says 2024.

No one else seems to have anything to release right now, so I'm not saying its unique to Xbox, its just so fucking far away I will literally forget about it.

Punished Miku

I'm kind of surprised anyone expected Fable this year at all. Confirming that it's next year is best case scenario for me.

Gears being next year means they're very, very far along in it as well which makes sense. Unreal 5 is coming together for multiple teams now.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I replay them every year.
And if my cousins who I grew up with meet pretty much anytime we boot up a gears for horde.
Theyve held up pretty damn well.

The color schemes may get to you, but youll get used to them after like 5 minutes.
They are color graded for their era.
Stop showing trailers early then.
You know 2025 is next year right?

Stop showing trailers early then.
I'm normally with you on this, but 2025 is only next year. That's pretty commonplace. If it was 2026 or later I'd be right there with you.

having said all of that I am quite sure the game will be pushed to 2026 given how much time a AAA modern Fable would take to create.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
E-Day I am cautiously optimistic for. Looks like they realized “Fans miss the stories of brotherhood and war, not our robots and girl-boss characters. Let’s make a game for them!”

Meanwhile Fable looks nothing like Fable and is honestly, when shown side by side with older fable games, a massive fucking disappointment.

March Climber

Gold Member
Honestly just wasted resources. They're perfectly playable now at 60 fps.
I think at least game 2 needs a remake. I played through all of the games not long ago, and 2 was one of my least favorite Gears games. It looks very aged, and the segments that introduced new gameplay systems felt very poor to control. Also the level design/encounter design for it could be improved.

I know that people look back fondly on that game, especially for it's multiplayer, but as someone who has not played that multiplayer at all and just the campaign, I ended up not enjoying it as much.

Gears 1 and 3 were really great by comparison.

DAHGAMING

They have aged realy well and im a big fan especialy the priginal trilogy. Not sure what hardware you have but the best way to play in my opinion is Gears of War Ultimate edition on pc (max that fucker out) or series x (1080p 60fps) , Gears 2 and 3 on series x via backwards compatibility ( both 60fps and they are both somewere between 1440p and 4k).

I would say thats what you need to play if you want to get ready for E-Day, the trilogy feel like 1 long game if played one after another and the story rolls from one game to the next, for a shooter it has a great story and emotional moments.

Gears Judgement wasnt for me, it just felt off but some enjoy it so worth a look at if you get into the trilogy.

Gears 4-5 is set yrs after the original trilogy you play as Marcus Fenix son and a new crew. There both good games but didnt reach the heights of the originals, 4 felt like it wasnt to sure what it wanted to be, 5 felt better and without spoiling anything they slowly brought in a couple of emotional parts and start leaning into the more harsh side of things, 5 felt like it was setting up Gears 6 to get back into the gritty side of things, I hope we still see a conclusion to that story. Both on pc so obviously pains me to say it but thats the best place to play, but on series x Gears 4 is 1080 60fps, 4k30 , Gears 5 is 4k dynamic resolution i think 60fps.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Heavily scripted moments, lack of any interesting art direction, passion and comedy completely gone, left with some zoomer-ass “jokes” that fall flat on their face?

Nah, this isn’t Fable. This is some Tumblerina’s fan “Art” of it. When you make me wish for the likes of Molyneux to return, you fucked up.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
Good, what's been shown won't run well on the Xbox Series X and it should be a launch title with the "pro" X or Gen 10, whichever comes first.

Punished Miku

I think at least game 2 needs a remake. I played through all of the games not long ago, and 2 was one of my least favorite Gears games. It looks very aged, and the segments that introduced new gameplay systems felt very poor to control. Also the level design/encounter design for it could be improved.

I know that people look back fondly on that game, especially for it's multiplayer, but as someone who has not played that multiplayer at all and just the campaign, I ended up not enjoying it as much.

Gears 1 and 3 were really great by comparison.
They could all be improved if you wanted to spend resources on it. I just personally didn't think it's really needed. I don't mind playing older games, and I like seeing 360 era games as they originally were, just sharper with better frame rate.

clarky

Gold Member
This was announced in 2020. 4 years later and they had 30 whole seconds of actual "gameplay" to show.

What the hell have they been doing all this time?
Working on the game? 5 years from announce to release is fairly normal.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

yeah in Q4. Chances of getting pushed to 2026 is definitely possible. We've hardly seen actual gameplay yet.
I'm nit sure that was actual gameplay looking at it again. It could have easily been little more than scripted in-game animations as I didn't see anything that looked like it was running through actual gameplay systems, if that makes any sense.

Working on the game? 5 years from announce to release is fairly normal.
If that's all they had to show for 5 years of work then that's kind of troubling.

Last edited:
Heavily scripted moments, lack of any interesting art direction, passion and comedy completely gone, left with some zoomer-ass “jokes” that fall flat on their face?

Nah, this isn’t Fable. This is some Tumblerina’s fan “Art” of it. When you make me wish for the likes of Molyneux to return, you fucked up.

It’s a trailer. The art direction is phenomenal and the game looks stunning. The British humor is oozing throughout.

This game will shit all over the originals which are highly overrated. Thankfully a good team is working this and not that hack Molyneux!

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Gears of War Ultimate is one of those remake/remasters that fucks up a lot of the vibes of the original. I say take the 7th gen graphics nostalgia trip of the 360 version, if anything, to appreciate the graphical progression from entry to entry as you make your way through them.

clarky

Gold Member
I'm nit sure that was actual gameplay looking at it again. It could have easily been little more than scripted in-game animations as I didn't see anything that looked like it was running through actual gameplay systems, if that makes any sense.

If that's all they had to show for 5 years of work then that's kind of troubling.
It was enough, seems to be shaping up nicely to me. Playground are one of the best studio's MS has, probably see an extend slice of real game play early next year i would expect.

Put me in the cautiously optimistic camp.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It’s a trailer. The art direction is phenomenal and the game looks stunning. The British humor is oozing throughout.

This game will shit all over the originals which are highly overrated. Thankfully a good team is working this and not that hack Molneux!

Hopefully the game will be good for you then, but I disagree on every point you made. Its art direction is horrid, the ”British humor” is lacking. This isn’t Monty Python, but modern Doctor Who drivel. The originals, all 3, are amazing games and have remained amazing games since their releases. Molyneux is a hack, but he was still able to produce and make a franchise that connected with millions.

The only thing this new game has is graphical fidelity - which I feel you mistake for an art direction.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Meanwhile Fable looks nothing like Fable and is honestly, when shown side by side with older fable games, a massive fucking disappointment.

I agree that it doesn't look like the older, but a 'massive fucking disappointment' ?

bro come on.

clarky

Gold Member
Hopefully the game will be good for you then, but I disagree on every point you made. Its art direction is horrid, the ”British humor” is lacking. This isn’t Monty Python, but modern Doctor Who drivel. The originals, all 3, are amazing games and have remained amazing games since their releases. Molyneux is a hack, but he was still able to produce and make a franchise that connected with millions.

The only thing this new game has is graphical fidelity - which I feel you mistake for an art direction.
Art is subjective. I think it looks nice.

Plus Fable 3 was shit so this has a low bar to reach to beat its direct predecessor.

Top Bottom