• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable is targeting a Q4 2025 release and Gears of War: E-Day is targeting 2025.

Topher

Gold Member
They have aged realy well and im a big fan especialy the priginal trilogy. Not sure what hardware you have but the best way to play in my opinion is Gears of War Ultimate edition on pc (max that fucker out) or series x (1080p 60fps) , Gears 2 and 3 on series x via backwards compatibility ( both 60fps and they are both somewere between 1440p and 4k).

I would say thats what you need to play if you want to get ready for E-Day, the trilogy feel like 1 long game if played one after another and the story rolls from one game to the next, for a shooter it has a great story and emotional moments.

Gears Judgement wasnt for me, it just felt off but some enjoy it so worth a look at if you get into the trilogy.

Gears 4-5 is set yrs after the original trilogy you play as Marcus Fenix son and a new crew. There both good games but didnt reach the heights of the originals, 4 felt like it wasnt to sure what it wanted to be, 5 felt better and without spoiling anything they slowly brought in a couple of emotional parts and start leaning into the more harsh side of things, 5 felt like it was setting up Gears 6 to get back into the gritty side of things, I hope we still see a conclusion to that story. Both on pc so obviously pains me to say it but thats the best place to play, but on series x Gears 4 is 1080 60fps, 4k30 , Gears 5 is 4k dynamic resolution i think 60fps.

Cool. Thanks. I'm installing on PC and Xbox cuz....why not? Probably jump back and forth for rewards points and such.

MujkicHaris

Meanwhile Fable looks nothing like Fable and is honestly, when shown side by side with older fable games, a massive fucking disappointment.
Fable, minus the awful design of the main character, looks stunning. For me, it's the second most beautiful game from the showcase, along with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 being number 1 and Clair Obscur: Expedition 33 at 3.
Take a look at the environments from the trailer, all in-game. It's insane, the level of detail and how good the materials look.

Last edited:
How well has Gears of War aged? Never played them before but thinking about getting caught up.
Just started it up co-op with a friend using BC. Decided to go with the 360 version (remaster is fine too but I like the old art) and it holds up. Had a nostalgic blast going through the first Act.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Fable, minus the awful design of the main character, looks stunning. For me, it's the second most beautiful game from the showcase, along with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 being number 1 and Clair Obscur: Expedition 33 at 3.
Take a look at the environments from the trailer, all in-game. It's insane, the level of detail and how good the materials look.

I don’t need high Graphical Fidelity. I would rather have a unique art direction akin to the original 3 titles with its writing to match. Not everything needs to be hyper realistic/super detailed. I don’t care about seeing the pores on a characters face or the thousands of reflections in their eyes. A focus on high graphical fidelity always ends up with the game looking dated a year later as the next “massive graphical powerhouse” comes out.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Cool. Thanks. I'm installing on PC and Xbox cuz....why not? Probably jump back and forth for rewards points and such.

Yea thats how i played Gears 4 1080p 60fps is ok but feel series x could do at least 1440p so played most of that on pc. Would love 2 and 3 on pc, still think they may be sitting on remaster/remake of them with all the rumors the last few yrs.

Gambit2483

It was enough, seems to be shaping up nicely to me. Playground are one of the best studio's MS has, probably see an extend slice of real game play early next year i would expect.

Put me in the cautiously optimistic camp.
Well hopefully next time they show gameplay it will clearly be actual gameplay. Even Perfect Dark and South of Midnight had actual gameplay, although highly scripted vertical slices you could clearly tell someone was actually controlling the game. Not so much with Fable.

skyfinch

Do this. Fable on Xbox in October. Gears for PS5 in October. Then Fable for PS5 in November and Gears Xbox in November. Switch 2 port TBA.

I don’t need high Graphical Fidelity. I would rather have a unique art direction akin to the original 3 titles with its writing to match. Not everything needs to be hyper realistic/super detailed. I don’t care about seeing the pores on a characters face or the thousands of reflections in their eyes. A focus on high graphical fidelity always ends up with the game looking dated a year later as the next “massive graphical powerhouse” comes out.

Speaking of dated

Yuck, aged like milk

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
How well has Gears of War aged? Never played them before but thinking about getting caught up.

Play the original trilogy. That was Gears at its peak. Everything after that was nowhere near as good. The first game still holds a special place with me. It was something else. Enemies that stalk you based on sound that you can only kill with a specific weapon. Entire levels where failing to stay in the light meant certain death. The atmosphere. The music. The cast. Too damn good.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
yeah in Q4. Chances of getting pushed to 2026 is definitely possible. We've hardly seen actual gameplay yet.

So you DO understand that 2025 is next year.
And you would rather they show us the progress trailer when? In June for a Fall release?
Since you want to see more gameplay and deep dives.
If they show us a progress trailer in June and the game is coming out in October when exactly are they supposed to hype the game up, where does the marketing campaign fit into that window, when are they supposed to do more deep dives into mechanics and things.
Putting into consideration the whole world isnt going to revolve around Fable?

Z O N E

Honestly, DON'T rush Gears.

If they're going back to the roots, I hope they their time and see what made the old school Gears so they can bring that same vibe into the new one.

clarky

Gold Member
Well hopefully next time they show gameplay it will clearly be actual gameplay. Even Perfect Dark and South of Midnight had actual gameplay, although highly scripted vertical slices you could clearly tell someone was actually controlling the game. Not so much with Fable.
Funny i thought the exact opposite. Perfect dark looked like a mock up, vertical slice of what they HOPE the game will be.

Hopefully they all turn out great, but i'm firmly in the on the fence for all 3 until MS prove otherwise.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The Gears games are pretty good still. I played them not so long ago.

Play the original trilogy. That was Gears at its peak. Everything after that was nowhere near as good. The first game still holds a special place with me. It was something else. Enemies that stalk you based on sound that you can only kill with a specific weapon. Entire levels where failing to stay in the light meant certain death. The atmosphere. The music. The cast. Too damn good.

Feel like I've been missing out. High praise for a 18 year old franchise. Thanks.

Reactions: XXL

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Feel like I've been missing out. High praise for a 18 year old franchise. Thanks.
Lotta nostalgia talking too. Gears 4 looks phenomenal. Fantastic art direction, and graphics are on par with anything on PS4 except maybe Naughty Dog.

Gambit2483

Funny i thought the exact opposite. Perfect dark looked like a mock up, vertical slice of what they HOPE the game will be.

Hopefully they all turn out great, but i'm firmly in the on the fence for all 3 until MS prove otherwise.
It's funny because Phil Spencer specifically said during the latest IGN interview that the Perfect Dark footage was a real demo level they created and he was impressed while watching one of the devs playing through it.

With Crystal Dynamics on the job now the game should be making significant progress. They're an extremely talented team.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
It's funny because Phil Spencer specifically said during the latest IGN interview that the Perfect Dark footage was a real demo level they created and he was impressed while watching one of the devs playing through it.

With Crystal Dynamics on the job now the game should be making significant progress. They're an extremely talented team.
Don't believe anything fatty says. In another life he would have been a used car salesman, fucker is too good at it.

Here he is 4 years ago enjoying that same play though lol.

RGiAW2F.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Honestly, DON'T rush Gears.

If they're going back to the roots, I hope they their time and see what made the old school Gears so they can bring that same vibe into the new one.

I don't think they're rushing it. They've been working on a Gears project for a while, they even canceled a second IP they were working on 2~ years go so they can focus purely on Gears.

poodaddy

Gold Member
This really is gonna be a long gen. I'm hyped for the games, but 2025 will be year 5 of this gen.... I think, might be wrong on that, and as someone who owns every console and a PC, though there have been some truly stand out releases, this gen has felt somewhat anemic. Hope they're good though.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn’t want to release a game around gta 6, we will probably hear about a release date/window once rockstar come out with one for GTA

MujkicHaris

I don’t need high Graphical Fidelity. I would rather have a unique art direction akin to the original 3 titles with its writing to match. Not everything needs to be hyper realistic/super detailed. I don’t care about seeing the pores on a characters face or the thousands of reflections in their eyes.
The trailer mainly focused on a bigger picture, not reflections or pores. And if you take the time to analyze, the environments are stylized not hyper realistic. They are super detailed though.
I can understand your nostalgic wishes but this game is a reboot so it's expected from the developers to give us a bit different take on Fable.
Your critical view would've been considered justified if it was a remake but it's not.

A focus on high graphical fidelity always ends up with the game looking dated a year later as the next “massive graphical powerhouse” comes out.
Not true. Many games released 5+ years ago that still look amazing.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I think it looks amazing. Me and my Mrs are super hyped. It's the only game she's ever really got into and binged.

Varteras

Gold Member
Lotta nostalgia talking too. Gears 4 looks phenomenal. Fantastic art direction, and graphics are on par with anything on PS4 except maybe Naughty Dog.

My nostalgia ain't about the graphics, buddy boy. It's in the atmosphere. The story. The characters. The moments. The things with staying power even when the looks fade. Don't be so shallow. Find yourself a good woman. Or man. Or kitchen utensil.

clarky

Gold Member
Well, I wouldn’t want to release a game around gta 6, we will probably hear about a release date/window once rockstar come out with one for GTA
GTA is obviously going to be big but like you say, avoid a month either side of it and other games will be fine, especially anything not in direct competition. Its not coming out an PC as well remember.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

My nostalgia ain't about the graphics, buddy boy. It's in the atmosphere. The story. The characters. The moments. The things with staying power even when the looks fade. Don't be so shallow. Find yourself a good woman. Or man. Or kitchen utensil.
My goal isn't to talk you out of your opinion. Like whatever you want.

But I think it takes a certain level of impaired thinking to really suggest someone play Gears 1-3 and skip 4. 4 is a gigantic step up in graphics quality, and polish. The art design is a large step up from the original trilogy. Gameplay is mostly the same too, but there's some cool new guns that all feel great to control.

Gears original trilogy comes to a complete ending in the story. It's never been some amazing, riveting story, but it has some lore elements that I enjoy reading into. All that lore gets expanded in 4. I genuinely don't get anyone that plays 1-3 and can't play 4.

I'm extremely curious to see what new players like Topher Topher feel about that actually, because I think it's another one of those forced opinions from back when the game came out that people just keep repeating.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
My goal isn't to talk you out of your opinion. Like whatever you want.

But I think it takes a certain level of impaired thinking to really suggest someone play Gears 1-3 and skip 4. 4 is a gigantic step up in graphics quality, and polish. The art design is a large step up from the original trilogy. Gameplay is mostly the same too, but there's some cool new guns that all feel great to control.

Gears original trilogy comes to a complete ending in the story. It's never been some amazing, riveting story, but it has some lore elements that I enjoy reading into. All that lore gets expanded in 4. I genuinely don't get anyone that plays 1-3 and can't play 4.

I'm extremely curious to see what new players like Topher Topher feel about that actually, because I think it's another one of those forced opinions from back when the game came out that people just keep repeating.

Impaired thinking? So, you're saying those of us who played those games, and found the trilogy the best, are somehow retarded because the visuals are dated?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Impaired thinking? So, you're saying those of us who played those games, and found the trilogy the best, are somehow retarded because the visuals are dated?
No, I think it was really easy to shit on anything on Xbox One at the time. I know I did. Didn't buy the system, didn't give anything a chance that whole gen. I think a lot of people get opinionated as well when things change, like the series moving from Epic to Coalition. And also, I think nostalgia is a form of impaired thinking that most people have experienced at one time or another. Acting like the original Gears trilogy has some untouchable story just seems exaggerated to me. I think a lot of people just have fond memories of those early 360 days playing that trilogy, playing co-op, and don't really give 4 a fair shot. It's certainly worth playing if you're a fan of the other ones and want to see the newest chapter.

Varteras

Gold Member
No, I think it was really easy to shit on anything on Xbox One at the time. I know I did. Didn't buy the system, didn't give anything a chance that whole gen. I think a lot of people get opinionated as well when things change, like the series moving from Epic to Coalition. And also, I think nostalgia is a form of impaired thinking that most people have experienced at one time or another. Acting like the original Gears trilogy has some untouchable story just seems exaggerated to me. I think a lot of people just have fond memories of those early 360 days playing that trilogy, playing co-op, and don't really give 4 a fair shot. It's certainly worth playing if you're a fan of the other ones and want to see the newest chapter.

You're making a lot of assumptions. I played Gears 4 and 5 on PC. I'm like, 99% a PC gamer. I didn't shit on Gears because it was Xbox. I shit on it because after the trilogy it was old hat. I didn't like the characters. They had nowhere near the charisma and fun of the original crew. I loved the atmosphere. The mystery of what the fuck was going on in the trilogy. The world was so new. By Gears 4, that was gone. I never said the trilogy was some Oscar worthy script. But I found all of it combined much more enjoyable. With more powerful moments than subsequent entries. More tense sequences . Like lethal versions of "cat and mouse" or "the floor is lava". Better visuals and a little more unraveling of the secrets, to me, doesn't hold a candle to what the trilogy was and still is.

Punished Miku

You're making a lot of assumptions. I played Gears 4 and 5 on PC. I'm like, 99% a PC gamer. I didn't shit on Gears because it was Xbox. I shit on it because after the trilogy it was old hat. I didn't like the characters. They had nowhere near the charisma and fun of the original crew. I loved the atmosphere. The mystery of what the fuck was going on in the trilogy. The world was so new. By Gears 4, that was gone. I never said the trilogy was some Oscar worthy script. But I found all of it combined much more enjoyable. With more powerful moments than subsequent entries. More tense sequences . Like lethal versions of "cat and mouse" or "the floor is lava". Better visuals and a little more unraveling of the secrets, to me, doesn't hold a candle to what the trilogy was and still is.
That's fine. I said I wasn't trying to change your opinion. I still don't agree with it at all though. Most people seem to agree with you so you've got the numbers on your side, that's for sure.

Varteras

Gold Member
That's fine. I said I wasn't trying to change your opinion. I still don't agree with it at all though. Most people seem to agree with you so you've got the numbers on your side, that's for sure.
Eh, I don't care about all that. I'm not one to hold opinions only because they're popular, nor do I think mine is better than yours just because of that. I just wanted to clarify that I, and many people like me, aren't hard on later entries because of some Xbox distaste. Or, simply because of rose-tinted glasses. That being said, if you feel that the recent entries are just as good, or better, I certainly won't try to tell you that you shouldn't feel that way.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Very good point. And NO WAY Gears E-Day is coming out in 2025. Will these both be launch games for the next-gen Xbox?
Tbf gears is probably a way smaller, less ambitious game.

Fable is confirmed to be open world and being inspired by witcher 3.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Hopefully the game will be good for you then, but I disagree on every point you made. Its art direction is horrid, the ”British humor” is lacking. This isn’t Monty Python, but modern Doctor Who drivel. The originals, all 3, are amazing games.............

Ill stop you right there......what the fuck are you talking about.

Fable 1 - sure for its time it was good, on its way to greatness but not quite there. (I even bought Anniversary)
Fable 2 - my favorite of the series, great game.
Fable 3 - what the fuck is this shite.
Fable Journey........
Fable Heroes - you aint even trying anymore

How can you sit there saying this is shit judging its humor off of what 3 minutes, when you think Fable 3 is an amazing game and im assuming you actually went through that game?
Seeing the gameplay in this, it looks like the natural evolution of what Fable should be.
The humor is not going to be time displaced like playing Fable Anniversary, and certainly wont be as low as Fable 3.....because theres literally not a level lower.
The art style just as with the original Fable isnt going to be for everyone, but itll atleast make the game stand out.

Never ever say Fable 3 is an amazing game.
hhh-disgusted.gif

Punished Miku

Eh, I don't care about all that. I'm not one to hold opinions only because they're popular, nor do I think mine is better than yours just because of that. I just wanted to clarify that I, and many people like me, aren't hard on later entries because of some Xbox distaste. Or, simply because of rose-tinted glasses. That being said, if you feel that the recent entries are just as good, or better, I certainly won't try to tell you that you shouldn't feel that way.
I'm currently going through 4 so I don't have a final opinion yet. Really enjoying it though. Just wanted to put that out there since I rarely hear anyone say that.

Will play 5 sometime after that.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Tbf they are not going for a realistic artstyle with the characters, they are still somehow stylized

1pg7KWm.gif

(just a for the record moment, i'm not arguing your post)

I guess we can discuss how the characters in the previous fable had a distinct kinda goofy artstyle and this chick looks pretty generic.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm currently going through 4 so I don't have a final opinion yet. Really enjoying it though. Just wanted to put that out there since I rarely hear anyone say that.

Will play 5 sometime after that.

...WHAT?! I just spent all that time talking to you, making points, over games you haven't even finished or played yet?! Bitch. No. Uh uh. You're going to play nothing but those fucking games. I forbid you from even LOOKING at another game until you are done. And don't even THINK about talking to me again until you're finished. Un-fucking-believable! This guy. This fucking guy! 😠

graywolf323

one of my biggest gripes with Xbox right now is that we haven’t had a Gears of War collection like the Master Chief collection…

I’d love to play through the OG trilogy again on my Steam Deck

Punished Miku

...WHAT?! I just spent all that time talking to you, making points, over games you haven't even finished or played yet?! Bitch. No. Uh uh. You're going to play nothing but those fucking games. I forbid you from even LOOKING at another game until you are done. And don't even THINK about talking to me again until you're finished. Un-fucking-believable! This guy. This fucking guy! 😠
I just said I think people are typically blinded by nostalgia. I still think that was true. I turned on 4 expecting liquid shit going off the series discourse.

But yes, I need to finish these lol.

Alan Wake

It's aged a bit. Looks old although gameplay is pretty solid. I thought Gears of War 2 and 3 were superior when I played all three back to back two years ago.

Top Bottom