• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

Anon67

Zoom button used to be on the stick, which if made to appeal to ADS gamers is now on a trigger. Which is why I mentioned melee would likely find itself on the right stick now for there to be enough buttons.

There will be different controller layouts. Nothing to worry about dude.

Vire

So you have nothing to worry about now?
Well as of right now, I'm okay. But 343 has shown their continual ability fuck things up with other things. I can't wait to hear about the kill streaks, perks, return of the Mantis and SAW.

I still would greatly prefer if they just upped the movement speed and got rid of Sprint entirely.

Run and gun not run or gun 343...

Sai-kun

Banned
Because there are people who like it? Also don't get your last point, how is it hindering your view? I assume that animation we saw for the aiming down sight IS the new scoping in on the BR, how is it more of a hindrance than before, you can actually see around the scope now...

I think BR has that more of a red dot scope, and DMR is gonna take the classic long distance scope, that way there is more balance so one is more long range and the other more close (DMR and BR respectively ofc).

Look at how the gun seriously takes up like 1/6 of the screen space.

bradsh533s5y.gif

And how this is perfect:

Alucrid

Banned
Yet again some one has completely missed the point, that ADS the person mentions in the image IS NOT THE SAME ADS as in the Halo clips. Stop comparing them as if they are the same, there is no movements decrease etc... when scoping in if you look at the clips again.

he's talking solely about the image. see how the gun takes up 1/6 of the screen?

TheOddOne

Concern? What concern? Halo is stagnant. Gameplay is dated. It needs to evolve. 343i you need to add wall running next. Maybe we can give Chief a Exosuit to go on top of his MJOLNIR Armor.
By all the nanomachines. There is your narrative justification.

ShogunX

Looks like 343 are giving player the option of sticking with the traditional hip fire or giving people the choice of ADS if they want to. More options are always good and in this online COD dominated world giving people something they are so familiar with already can surely only help bring more people over to the series.

The fear was penalising those player who wanted to fire from the hip and according to that one tweet it isn't the case.

Leak ADS and sprint. Watch as shitstorm ensues. Then leak that ADS is purely cosmetic. Suddenly everyone thinks everything is okay and forgets about the awfulness that is sprint. 343's played you like a god damn fiddle.
Sprint isn't awful though, and again, its uses come with drawbacks which can be taken advantage of by other players. You sacrifice the ability to shoot and accept an additional windup to get back into firing position in order to pay for a boost in speed. It adds an interesting choice to combat.

I don't know where people got the idea that sprinting might not allow for your shields to regen, but that sounds pretty neat if true.

Flinch is when you're being shot while aiming down sights/scope and it makes your aiming reticule bounce around, making it harder to aim and shoot effectively, but still allowing you to zoom/aim.

Descoping means that when you're shot while aiming down sights/scope, you are knocked out of scope entirely, returning you to hipfire position.

Halo 1 thru Reach used descoping, H4 used flinch.

Ok. Yeah, they need to get rid of flinch and go back to descoping.

Pappasman

Yet again some one has completely missed the point, that ADS the person mentions in the image IS NOT THE SAME ADS as in the Halo clips. Stop comparing them as if they are the same, there is no movements decrease etc... when scoping in if you look at the clips again.

I didn't miss the point. I know what was said. I was speaking purely cosmetically. ADS takes up a ton of space on screen and the old style gave the player a pure view of the action. ADS is bad design, even if it doesn't effect movement speed.

logikk

Neo Member
So why is sprint so terrible again? Also, I think it is a good thing when there is a slight downside to zooming in.

It is preferable to have more accuracy in zoom with zero downside at all?? I think having the gun take up some screen space so that you can have more accuracy is a good thing. Maybe I'm in the minority on this it seems though.

Sai-kun

Banned
or is it a play on words? "I don't see a problem"

I am not a clever boy...

So why is sprint so terrible again? Also, I think it is a good thing when there is a slight downside to zooming in.

It is preferable to have more accuracy in zoom with zero downside at all?? I think having the gun take up some screen space so that you can have more accuracy is a good thing. Maybe I'm in the minority on this it seems though.

In my opinion, sprint has tended to make characters move at the speed that they really should move by default. Spartans are fast as shit, and traversing maps while running quick is a great feeling. So lowering the default movement speed to make Sprint a 'perk' is pretty lame and makes movement a lot less fun.

I think you are in the minority in regards to having a visible gun on the screen. It doesn't add anything in second-to-second gameplay aside from taking up space.

Cynar

People saying crisis averted? Wut

ADS exists
Sprint exists

I'm just waiting for the kill streak rewards and perks announcement
Halo makes me sad. Only thing that would get me to get an Xbox one and they burned that bridge with halo 4. Halo 5 is sounding even worse.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I don't mind sprint, playing through the Master Chief Collection the past 2 weeks has drove me insane not being able to sprint around areas.

Don't know how I feel about ADS though, don't feel that it needs it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Sprint isn't awful though, and again, its uses come with drawbacks which can be taken advantage of by other players. You sacrifice the ability to shoot and accept an additional windup to get back into firing position in order to pay for a boost in speed. It adds an interesting choice to combat.

I don't know where people got the idea that sprinting might not allow for your shields to regen, but that sounds pretty neat if true.

Sprint has always been awful in Halo. Same with the AA.

RdN

It's pretty well established in the Halo universe that the weapons optics are linked to the Mjolnir armor, so that Spartans don't have to aim down sights... But I guess broadening the gameplay and once again going after the COD people is more worth than cannon.

If it feels like COD/Battlefield yes it does. If you are not a fan of the series nor someone who put put countless hours in to the game you really have no say.

It doesn't. And I am a fan of the series. A critical fan. I've logged countless hours into 1 2 and 3. I've played every halo game. Around Reach is where they lost me. It was too much of the same thing. Kind of like how I felt about ... gasp ... COD.

All this stuff...and the thing that bothers me the most is that it seems most guns have Bloom again

I still will wait till the beta to judge it

Top Bottom