• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Review Thread

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Why does it need to get 95/100? You played the games enjoyed them and now you get to do it again with additions.

BECAUSE EMOTIONS.
like i said. for the person I am today it is not important. but for the part child that is still alive in me, it is just sooooo important.

RdN

Yes, but I'm not interested in the Xbox version of the games. I want to know how the Xbox One versions of them look and play, since that's what I'm buying. It's still important for reviews to re-evaluate them.

IT"S THE SAME GAME! That's what's driving me insane reading some of you people in this thread!

They now run at Full HD and at 60fps, which obviously only add to the experience! Read the reviews from 2001, 2004, 2007, now imagine it's all in higher fidelity and buy the goddamn game!

I'm checking it everyday, I've gotten no credit for Sunset Overdrive or the MCC :(

I called the Microsoft Store help line and they were completely hopeless in helping.

Anyways, this is a bit off-topic so sorry for the deviation.

I definitely think you should poke Xbox support and see if they have any advice on what to do next.

I'm struggling to understand why you guys are so fixated on the scores for this title.

I don't think anyone upset, its just a little confusing that a 70$ fan service/compilation/remaster of one of the greatest videogame series of all time is getting 8/10s and are trying to figure out why. Is there actually something wrong with it?

Apparently it's just too much halo in one package.... Oh wait not enough halo in one package.... I can't make up my mind... Fuck this shit I'm sick of shooters anyways.

IT"S THE SAME GAME! That's what's driving me insane reading some of you people in this thread!

They now run at Full HD and at 60fps, which obviously only add to the experience! Read the reviews from 2001, 2004, 2007, now imagine it's all in higher fidelity and buy the goddamn game!

I think you need to relax and care less about what other people think. I want to read a modern take on the games discussing how they hold up in the modern age and how they run on the Xbox One. So sue me?

Just posted a thread in the Xbox help Forums. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for nudging me to solve this :p

Fingers crossed it gets resolved and you get that credit.

I hope you do the right thing and buy D4 with it or Ori...which will hopefully be out before years end.

I don't think anyone upset, its just a little confusing that a 70$ fan service/compilation/remaster of one of the greatest videogame series of all time is getting 8/10s and are trying to figure out why. Is there actually something wrong with it?

Apparently it's just too much halo in one package.... Oh wait not enough halo in one package.... I can't make up my mind... Fuck this shit I'm sick of shooters anyways.

Don't get so caught up in the reviews. If you've played Halo before, you know what you're getting with this package.

Don't take things so seriously.

Chill out.

They haven't answered my post in help yet. Different issue but still with rewards. Bad customer service for the rewards program. :(

Maybe escalate the issue to live chat with support?

Sorry I'm new to the Xbox train but what's the deal with this rewards bonus? I preordered Halo MCC digitally should I be checking my account for something?

hawk2025

Fingers crossed it gets resolved and you get that credit.

I hope you do the right thing and buy D4 with it or Ori...which will hopefully be out before years end.

I'm buying Ori the first goddamn day it's available :p

hhhmmmm, D4, huh?

Sorry I'm new to the Xbox train but what's the deal with this rewards bonus? I preordered Halo MCC digitally should I be checking my account for something?

I believe there's a "punchcard" that will give you $10 after you buy three digital games. The particular promotion I'm talking about gave you $15 back (well, theoretically...) if you bought it directly from the Microsoft store.

danwarb

In the case of Halo, I think they hold up remarkably well. They were designed with a very different sensibility than most single player FPS games today. Halo encourages the player to jump right into the hordes of enemies and take them on in a very aggressive, but often strategic, assault. It's rarely about sitting back and taking pot shots. It's a much more dynamic type of shooter almost in the style of an old school Japanese style arcade game or something.

Also like an old school game each type of enemy has a different sort of weakness which encourages threat prioritization from the player.

Finally the way they mix up enemy combinations and formations makes for some really interesting battles. It's really the only reason why Halo CE's repetitive levels actually work - enemy placements and encounters are excellent regardless of scenery. Of course, level design can still work in tandem with this to create some interesting arenas.

Some modern games still take this approach, thankfully, but few have mastered it quite like Bungie. All of the systems they designed for each Halo game just work so damn well together.

That's part of where I think H4 falls down - the encounters just aren't as interesting and often go on too long. Worse, you're constantly running out of ammo for preferred weapons and are required to change up all the time. If you played well in Bungie Halo games you would generally have enough ammo and grenades handy for preferred weapons when you needed them along with something in the back pocket. Halo 4 just doesn't have the fine tuning or balance that Bungie's games did (plus there are too many arena-like areas where you're stuck fighting loads of enemies in one space).

A lot of other FPS games have aged badly, though. I don't really think the Half-Life series holds up all that well today, for instance, despite being so remarkable at the time of release.

I think you got it spot on there. Halo 4 inexplicably takes away dropped weapons. That doesn't help.

You can sign up to earn rewards,

http://rewards.xbox.com/myrewards/

You get rebates, earn credit for playing games as well as bonuses like when pre-ordering games from the MS store. (or least you should)

hhhmmmm, D4, huh?

So as not to derail the thread any further, here's the D4 thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136987063#post136987063

Check it out. Game is fantastic, easily one of the most fun experiences I've had all year.

Just checked out the thread again and they did a generic response to everyone. Points aren't calculated unit the 15th the month after. So purchases in October won't be credited until Nov. 15th.

At least you won't be waiting long to see if it's BS.

Why does it need to get 95/100? You played the games enjoyed them and now you get to do it again with additions.

it doesn't have to be 95 but at least in the 90s. halo 1 through 3 averaged a 96 on metracritic, 1080p/60fps will be a huge upgrade in terms of gameplay and graphics. 88 just doesn't seem right to what many gamers consider the best FPS in gaming.

Servbot24

Banned
it doesn't have to be 95 but at least in the 90s. halo 1 through 3 averaged a 96 on metracritic, 1080p/60fps will be a huge upgrade in terms of gameplay and graphics. 88 just doesn't seem right to what many gamers consider the best FPS in gaming.

Maybe so, but what does it matter? This is one game where the metascore will have no effect on sales. It's a completely known entity.

I believe there's a "punchcard" that will give you $10 after you buy three digital games. The particular promotion I'm talking about gave you $15 back (well, theoretically...) if you bought it directly from the Microsoft store.

You can sign up to earn rewards,

http://rewards.xbox.com/myrewards/

You get rebates, earn credit for playing games as well as bonuses like when pre-ordering games from the MS store. (or least you should)

Thanks. I'l sign up this weekend, hopefully the points will apply retroactively.

I've bought Forza Horizon 2, D4, and now Halo all digitally so at the least it sounds like I'll get $10 back

Einbroch

Banned

This is what is wrong with every review thread.

"This game deserves this" is absolutely ridiculous, especially when it's a freaking 88. 88 is an amazing metacritic score.

Many gamers =/= everyone. Opinions.

Thanks. I'l sign up this weekend, hopefully the points will apply retroactively.

I've bought Forza Horizon 2, D4, and now Halo all digitally so at the least it sounds like I'll get $10 back

It's $20 back for 3 games at the price of 59.99 or more actually. I was credited pretty quickly for that punchcard.

Maybe so, but what does it matter? This is one game where the metascore will have no effect on sales. It's a completely known entity.

it's no big deal, it's just always nice to see a 90 to one of you'r favorite franchises, especially when they put so much work in this amazing collection.

I'm super stoked for this guys. I've been fighting cancer this past year. It's been really hard. But I recently went into remission. I just finished my final chemo. Seems like the perfect way to cap this all off. To celebrate with MCC on my X1.

I have like ZERO friends because all my friends jumped from 360 to PC gaming. And they haven't jumped into the next gen. So if anyone would like to add me, I would really appreciate it. I would like to play with some of you when MCC drops.

My Xbox Live is:

Azulaaaa
Congrats! Added you.

MormaPope

Banned

"This game deserves this" is absolutely ridiculous, especially when it's a freaking 88. 88 is an amazing metacritic score.

Agreed. Numerical values matter a lot less than written consensus and criticism. Selective quality quantifying is a epidemic in these threads.

EvB

I'm super stoked for this guys. I've been fighting cancer this past year. It's been really hard. But I recently went into remission. I just finished my final chemo. Seems like the perfect way to cap this all off. To celebrate with MCC on my X1.

I have like ZERO friends because all my friends jumped from 360 to PC gaming. And they haven't jumped into the next gen. So if anyone would like to add me, I would really appreciate it. I would like to play with some of you when MCC drops.

My Xbox Live is:

Azulaaaa

Added

My Xbox Live is:

Azulaaaa

That's awesome!
One of the best things about Halo is how easy it is to make friends in it :D
Hope you enjoy the game

Once the game comes out, check out HaloGAF in the community section, there's people always playing

flkraven

Many people have been complaining about the content of these reviews, and not it's score specifically. 88 is a meaningless number, but when a review complains that there is too much content or that they dislike FPS's and they put out a review before having access to multiplayer (in a game that defined the genre) it is quite confusing.

KePoW

Banned

You're exaggerating things, due to what I assume is your fandom of Halo.

There are plenty of people who do not consider the Halo games the best FPSes of all time.

I'm 37 and have played almost every major FPS since the original Wolfenstein and Doom 1. I would not rank any Halo in my top 10 FPSes.

If I was a reviewer, I would honestly give them scores of 8 to 9 (which is still certainly good)

I don't understand how reviews are coming in yet without being able to play multiplayer. At least some outlets are withholding scores until they can play enough of MP. I mean, we all know how the games play. But they would be entirely different when they are in one cohesive unified package. Also, they may play differently being Dedicated Servers.

But it is good to know the game is scoring well :).

LoveCake

Some high scores there, but the originals got high scores as well & i have already played them to death, so i'll give this a miss for now, may pick it up at a discount in the future or get it free on Gold Games.

Ishan

Some high scores there, but the originals got high scores as well & i have already played them to death, so i'll give this a miss for now, may pick it up at a discount in the future or get it free on Gold Games.
I highly doubt this will be coming to games on gold anytime soon .

Rurunaki

GkRt2K4.png

Definitely.

Kssio_Aug

It will certainly not be free with GwG till very long. But a disccount with Gold will certainly happen before Halo 5.

Mononoke

Banned
That's awesome!
One of the best things about Halo is how easy it is to make friends in it :D
Hope you enjoy the game

Once the game comes out, check out HaloGAF in the community section, there's people always playing

I love how I had like zero friends, and now I have like 20. I love this community so much. Such great people. :) Wish I could give everyone hugs. I would send everyone a message on X1, but would take too long. Just know this means the world to me. It means so so much to me.

And yes, I'll make sure to check out Halo GAF once the game is out to try and connect with more people.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You're exaggerating things, due to what I assume is your fandom of Halo.

There are plenty of people who do not consider the Halo games the best FPSes of all time.

I'm 37 and have played almost every major FPS since the original Wolfenstein and Doom 1. I would not rank any Halo in my top 10 FPSes.

If I was a reviewer, I would honestly give them scores of 8 to 9 (which is still certainly good)
Interesting, I've been playing every major and minor FPS since Wolf 3D and Doom as well and absolutely would put Halo up there. I'd put stuff like Doom above it but I actually think Halo is a much better shooter than something like Half-Life which received tons of acclaim as well.

I'm not picking on you Darth your just the latest one to post.

This is really not a hard thing to understand guys.

Were dealing with 4 games that span a huge chunk of time in gaming.
4 different games that are loved to varying degrees among the populace.
Some people love all 4. Some people only love 1. Or love the campaign of one while enjoying the MP of another.
Not to mention that they have all aged differently. Some more efficiently than others.

You can't look at that and expect a constant standard to the reviews across the board you just can't.

Vinc

I remember reading somewhere that the day 1 patch "improves performance". Anyone know the specifics?

danwarb

I've played plenty of shooters and Halo is right at the top on console. There's more competition on PC, but top 3 overall.

Just checked out the thread again and they did a generic response to everyone. Points aren't calculated unit the 15th the month after. So purchases in October won't be credited until Nov. 15th.

Mine said I wouldn't get the cash til Nov 20th. I checked my balance a few days ago and it was all deposited. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Interesting, I've been playing every major and minor FPS since Wolf 3D and Doom as well and absolutely would put Halo up there. I'd put stuff like Doom above it but I actually think Halo is a much better shooter than something like Half-Life which received tons of acclaim as well.

Agreed. Half-Life is a great single-player story-based FPS experience, but it's far below the quality nuts 'n bolts shooter that the core Halo game is. The AI, encounter design, and overall package just makes it amazing and replayable, unlike HL which is an extremely nice one-and-done playthrough wrapped up in an interesting world.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You're hearing a lot of impressions from bad reviewers writing things about pre-patch MCC.

Gaming journalism is dad.
You're making some false assumptions here. Just sayin'

The patch absolutely does NOT solve the most serious performance issues. Not by a long shot.

Top Bottom