• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Review Thread

KePoW

Banned
Interesting, I've been playing every major and minor FPS since Wolf 3D and Doom as well and absolutely would put Halo up there. I'd put stuff like Doom above it but I actually think Halo is a much better shooter than something like Half-Life which received tons of acclaim as well.

It's certainly a very personal choice when it comes to top 10 lists of all-time. But without even thinking about it hard, I would certainly place the following above any Halo game --

Doom 1, Doom 2, Quake 1, Quake 3, HL2, NOLF2, System Shock 2, MW1, MW2, Metro Last Light

And that's just taking 20 seconds to think about it. If I really sat down and took time, I'm sure I would add another ten to the list above any Halo.

But I've never been in total love with the Halo games, like I said I would review them with scores of 8s and 9s. Having said that, I've already bought the digital version of MCC

CyReN

x-post from the halo ot

For those with TMCC, can you see achievements when snapped or in the app? Not sure if my situation is isolated. i get a "This game has more achievements than we can show at the moment. Check back later" message. Talked to 1 other and they don't have this issue, may have to re-download over night.

Was Arthur Gies making stuff up? Does it solve the Halo CE/CEA stutter?

Gamesided review makes it sound like it doesn't, at least not completely

The Day 1 patch offers some critical fixes across the board (including that Delta Halo bug), but it still doesn’t do much for Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. Its troubles lie in the framerate (which is staggeringly bad when travelling in a vehicle and during cutscenes to the point of apparent “chugging” along), but also in odd instances of mixed-up visual efforts. For example, the design of orbital blasts of energy in the Anniversary Edition actually looks less detailed than its 2001 counterpart. They just look like a giant orb of energy, whereas the old edition featured two very distinct balls of energy. What’s even odder is that, at times, the textures on walls or objects in Halo: CE Anniversary look laughably worse than those from the past. Rare do these improvements look worse, but it does happen enough times to question how they got past quality assurance.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Was Arthur Gies making stuff up? Does it solve the Halo CE/CEA stutter?
I don't know what stutter he was referring to but I can say for sure that the frame-rate problems are NOT solved.

It's certainly a very personal choice when it comes to top 10 lists of all-time. But without even thinking about it hard, I would certainly place the following above any Halo game --

Doom 1, Doom 2, Quake 1, Quake 3, HL2, NOLF2, System Shock 2, MW1, MW2, Metro Last Light
Ah, of course, very personal indeed. I really don't much like Call of Duty so I wouldn't include those games, for instance, and I thought Last Light was way way too scripted.

Doom, Doom 2, and Quake are definitely on my list as well, though.

dark10x

I assumed he was talking about the cutscene/animation stutter, because he called it a framerate bug.
Oh no, it definitely doesn't fix that.

That's not a bug either - it's a limitation of the original game. They should have just ran the cutscenes entirely at 30 fps if you ask me.

Oh no, it definitely doesn't fix that.

That's not a bug either - it's a limitation of the original game. They should have just ran the cutscenes entirely at 30 fps if you ask me.

So out of the entire collection, Halo CE Anniversary seems to be the dud. I guess I'll go classic if it's that bad.

danwarb

And that's just taking 20 seconds to think about it. If I really sat down and took time, I'm sure I would add another ten to the list above any Halo.

But I've never been in total love with the Halo games, like I said I would review them with scores of 8s and 9s. Having said that, I've already bought the digital version of MCC

Personal preference is right, but the only one I'd put above Halo there is Quake. I'd also add UT.

Shikoba

Pretty excited for this. I never owned a 360 and with Halo I really only played split screen competitive with my brothers and friends back in the day (good times). So most of this collection will be brand new to me. Picked up my One last week with Sunset Overdrive and Horizon 2. Got to say I have had a blast with both and MCC should be a great addition! Probably going to take on the campaigns first, hope the story is decent.

KePoW

Banned
Ah, of course, very personal indeed. I really don't much like Call of Duty so I wouldn't include those games, for instance, and I thought Last Light was way way too scripted.

Doom, Doom 2, and Quake are definitely on my list as well, though.

Understood. I'm still looking forward to MCC, just not rabid about it hehe

dark10x

So out of the entire collection, Halo CE Anniversary seems to be the dud. I guess I'll go classic if it's that bad.
Did you care for the art direction of the Anniversary mode? I actually thought it looked pretty gaudy to begin with and prefer the original Bungie art. They did a MUCH better job remastering Halo 2, I think.

Playing with classic visuals is definitely the way to go - better frame-rate, better art. The Anniversary mode messes up all of the color palettes and general atmopshere. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Of course, it runs better than the 360 version which was a huge mess performance wise.

Sounds like Halo 2 suffers from quite a bit of issues as well. I think the safest ones are 3/4.
Halo 2 runs much much better than Halo 1 Anniversary mode.

So bestbuy apparently doesn't have any more copies available to pre-order. My indecision has finally caught up to me so I'll just buy it digital.

My question is, if anyone could help me out, I've got $50 XBL credit, but the game is $59.99. When I confirm my pre-order, will it charge the $50 and take the remaining amount from my card, or will it charge the full amount from my card?

So bestbuy apparently doesn't have any more copies available to pre-order. My indecision has finally caught up to me so I'll just buy it digital.

My question is, if anyone could help me out, I've got $50 XBL credit, but the game is $59.99. When I confirm my pre-order, will it charge the $50 and take the remaining amount from my card, or will it charge the full amount from my card?

You have the option of selecting to use the $50 credit first. You can charge the remaining balance to whatever accepted form of payment you like.

Trey

Did you care for the art direction of the Anniversary mode? I actually thought it looked pretty gaudy to begin with and prefer the original Bungie art. They did a MUCH better job remastering Halo 2, I think.

Playing with classic visuals is definitely the way to go - better frame-rate, better art. The Anniversary mode messes up all of the color palettes and general atmopshere. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Of course, it runs better than the 360 version which was a huge mess performance wise.

You seem to be on top of this. Do you have a rough breakdown of all the games' performance in their various modes?

I'm buying the game regardless, but I just want to know what I'm getting in to.

Sounds like a plan. I haven't played Halo CE Anniversary on 360. I like classic better from the streams I've seen. I wonder why they didn't choose to go with the Halo 2 Anniversary SP resolution for CE as well, though.

Tadale

So apparently matchmaking is not live? That's the part of the game I'm most interested in hearing about - I can't think of another package that's had matchmaking across four different game engines. I really want to know how or if it works - it seems like reviews are incomplete without some serious time with the matchmaking.

rokkerkory

So apparently matchmaking is not live? That's the part of the game I'm most interested in hearing about - I can't think of another package that's had matchmaking across four different game engines. I really want to know how or if it works - it seems like reviews are incomplete without some serious time with the matchmaking.

prob cuz servers wont be fully up til tues? im looking forward to this info too

danwarb

I didn't like the CEA makeover. It takes something from the apparent scale of Forerunner architecture by adding superfluous protrusions all over the place. It's also too bright and something horrible happened to the face of captain Keyes.

Wait wait wait, you mean the most important and exciting part of the package isn't even available and yet reviewers are applying scores to the game?

Huh. Who would have thought.

I don't mind, it's got 3 days to get ready and I get to play the second it unlocks. All in all, not even mad.

Pretty much how I feel, honestly. Fortunately I don't have data caps.

Wait wait wait, you mean the most important and exciting part of the package isn't even available and yet reviewers are applying scores to the game?

Huh. Who would have thought.

I'm with Steverulez on this. MS is to blame with their embargo date. Websites need to get their reviews up the same time as everyone else or they don't get the clicks.

Yaranaika

If I install the disks and download/install the 20 GB update, can I purchase it digitally and not have to redownload anything?

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah. That's why I think it's kind of sketch that reviews are coming out, when so many people are going to be focusing on MP. And as you said, this is pretty unique to have matchmaking across all the various MP. So whether this performs well or not once on servers and with matchmaking live, that would really play a big role in how the game is scored (or at least it should).

I'll be getting this regardless, not going to lie. But I kind of wish that they would have waited to review until all of that was sorted. Because as a consumer, I kind of want to know how well this works, and what the performance is. Because I'm buying this almost solely for MP (although I am interested in re-visiting the story with co-op etc. Should be incredible).

I guess at the end of the day, this is a killer value. Probably one of the best packages I've seen offered.

Pretty much how I feel, honestly. Fortunately I don't have data caps.

I'm with Steverulez on this. MS is to blame with their embargo date. Websites need to get their reviews up the same time as everyone else or they don't get the clicks.

I had a data cap when I was on ATT and it was awful. Thank god Time Warner is unlimited.

SURGEdude

One of the smartest decisions Microsoft could've made. This is Microsoft's version of the Orange Box.

So very very true. I've never been a huge Halo fan, but this is a deal that can't be missed. I figure there are still a few people in gaming like me who aren't the type to buy the individual games and camp out but will be picking this sucker up straight off. Can't wait for my order to arrive.

The value is pretty unbeatable and dare I say not something I've felt console gaming companies do much of these days.

dark10x

You seem to be on top of this. Do you have a rough breakdown of all the games' performance in their various modes?

I'm buying the game regardless, but I just want to know what I'm getting in to.
I have an article focused on Halo 2 going up tomorrow and the rest early next week.

2 and 3 run the best, I can say.

bender

What time is it?
Reading about the issues with Halo is bumming out. It's one of my favorite shooters of all time. I'm still tempted to pick this up with an Xbox One.

Tadale

Yeah. That's why I think it's kind of sketch that reviews are coming out, when so many people are going to be focusing on MP. And as you said, this is pretty unique to have matchmaking across all the various MP. So whether this performs well or not once on servers and with matchmaking live, that would really play a big role in how the game is scored (or at least it should).

I'll be getting this regardless, not going to lie. But I kind of wish that they would have waited to review until all of that was sorted. Because as a consumer, I kind of want to know how well this works, and what the performance is. Because I'm buying this almost solely for MP (although I am interested in re-visiting the story with co-op etc. Should be incredible).

I guess at the end of the day, this is a killer value. Probably one of the best packages I've seen offered.

There are more than 100 maps on that disc. How is all of that distributed in matchmaking? It seems like the most ambitious multiplayer matchmaking game ever, and reviews don't address it.

Osahi

IT"S THE SAME GAME! That's what's driving me insane reading some of you people in this thread!

They now run at Full HD and at 60fps, which obviously only add to the experience! Read the reviews from 2001, 2004, 2007, now imagine it's all in higher fidelity and buy the goddamn game!

Games age. Some age well, others don't. So yeah, these kind of remasters also mean you look at them with 2014 as reference, not 2001, 2004, 2007... and halo does not always stand the test of time imo. Some parts are great, others have become kinda dull. Still good games, but strip away nostalgia and you notice they aren't exactly 100% evergreen

That's not entirely true. The "race to be first" really no longer applies since there's such a vast review landscape. As long as sites don't put reviews up after the game launches, they'll still get around the same number of clicks.

Mononoke

Banned
There are more than 100 maps on that disc. How is all of that distributed in matchmaking? It seems like the most ambitious multiplayer matchmaking game ever, and reviews don't address it.

I know, it's insane! And that kind of has me worried. =/ But I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. But in terms of reviews, I think this is bad form for the press.

EDIT:

Not sure if this is a good place to ask. But I kind of want a game to play after beating Sunset Overdrive. I haven't played Shadow or Morodor yet. Should I get it on PS4 or X1? I know PS4 has 1080p native + better plants or something. But I also kind of want something for my X1, since I haven't been using it enough. I also love the X1 controller. I dunno. Anyone have this on X1 on a 50 inch HDTV? Does it look good to you on it?

Top Bottom