• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Review Thread

I know, it's insane! And that kind of has me worried. =/ But I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. But in terms of reviews, I think this is bad form for the press.

EDIT:

Not sure if this is a good place to ask. But I kind of want a game to play after beating Sunset Overdrive. I haven't played Shadow or Morodor yet. Should I get it on PS4 or X1? I know PS4 has 1080p native + better plants or something. But I also kind of want something for my X1, since I haven't been using it enough. I also love the X1 controller. I dunno. Anyone have this on X1 on a 50 inch HDTV? Does it look good to you on it?

I played through Shadow of Mordor on a 50 inch TV. Looks great. Solid framerate, no black crush, and a great game. The open world is nowhere near as interesting as Sunset Overdrive's though. Nemesis system is cool, though.

Mononoke

Banned
I played through Shadow of Mordor on a 50 inch TV. Looks great. Solid framerate, no black crush, and a great game. The open world is nowhere near as interesting as Sunset Overdrive's though. Nemesis system is cool, though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sold on the game already. I've seen a lot about it, it looks like it's up my ally. I was just curious how the game looks on X1, as I'm thinking of just getting it for that instead of my PS4. But that's good to hear that it looks great. Even though PS4 version is technically better, screw it. I think I'll just go for X1. I really want to use my X1 leading up to MCC, and Sunset really made me realize how much I love this controller. I'm kicking myself getting COD on PS4, because I have friends on X1 now that have it.

I've been playing my PS4 since launch. But to be honest, I actually liked the X1 better when I actually got it at launch (just the feel of booting up the system for the first time and the UI). So it feels good to come back to the X1 a year + later of not really using it. So I'm trying to find games to play on it. I've been playing DriveClub a lot, and I loved Forza Horizon 1. So maybe I should get Forza Horizon 2 as well.

Yeah, I haven't played a Halo campaign either. I had CE on PC, only ever did multiplayer. And I played multiplayer of the other ones at friend's houses

Yeah, I'm pretty sold on the game already. I've seen a lot about it, it looks like it's up my ally. I was just curious how the game looks on X1, as I'm thinking of just getting it for that instead of my PS4. But that's good to hear that it looks great. Even though PS4 version is technically better, screw it. I think I'll just go for X1. I really want to use my X1 leading up to MCC, and Sunset really made me realize how much I love this controller. I'm kicking myself getting COD on PS4, because I have friends on X1 now that have it.

I've been playing my PS4 since launch. But to be honest, I actually liked the X1 better when I actually got it at launch (just the feel of booting up the system for the first time and the UI). So it feels good to come back to the X1 a year + later of not really using it. So I'm trying to find games to play on it. I've been playing DriveClub a lot, and I loved Forza Horizon 1. So maybe I should get Forza Horizon 2 as well.

I find it's always best to play games on the console your friends have even if there are differences in pixel counts and performance. It's lonely when they aren't around even in single player games where you might be used to being in party chat with your buddies. Also, you can't go wrong with FH2. Since you seem to like open world games I say go for it.

Mononoke

Banned
I find it's always best to play games on the console your friends have even if there are differences in pixel counts and performance. It's lonely when they aren't around even in single player games where you might be used to being in party chat with your buddies. Also, you can't go wrong with FH2. Since you seem to like open world games I say go for it.

Well, I actually had no friends because all my friends switched from Xbox Live to steam/PC gaming a couple years back. And they all don't see a reason to jump into the next gen consoles yet.

That said, lol now I have a lot more friends on X1 than PS4 because of GAF and this thread. So this will start to play a factor in what I buy it for. I keep coming back to X1 anyways though, because I really love this controller. I think a controller is a pretty big reason to get a game for it over resolution. Just me though.

Wasp

Looks like splitscreen in Halo 3 and Halo 4 still has massive borders like in the 360 versions.

2720394-%23%23%2300017.jpg

Massive disappointment.

Who

Banned
Man...kudos to Xbox. They made me want an Xbox One when I was otherwise convinced I would never own one.

I don't think this would have been enough to get over the originally planned DRM, Always-online etc. however.

But yeah. Game looks amazing. I would love me some 16 player CTF on Death Island or Blood Gulch on Halo CE. Good times.

Well, I actually had no friends because all my friends switched from Xbox Live to steam/PC gaming a couple years back. And they all don't see a reason to jump into the next gen consoles yet.

That said, lol now I have a lot more friends on X1 than PS4 because of GAF and this thread. So this will start to play a factor in what I buy it for. I keep coming back to X1 anyways though, because I really love this controller. I think a controller is a pretty big reason to get a game for it over resolution. Just me though.

Absolutely. Its a sublime controller.

Kssio_Aug

Looks like splitscreen in Halo 3 and Halo 4 still has massive borders like in the 360 versions.

2720394-%23%23%2300017.jpg

Massive disappointment.

I dont like it either but I can live with that. I mean, its just to keep its aspect ratio, right?

I like the XB1 controller as much as I like the PS4 controller. But yesterday I played BF4 for the 1st time with the XB1 pad and god... I finnally understood why people like so much this controller for shooters. So much better to aim then with the DS4... I got a much better result then I usually get playing on PS4 and had 5 months that I did not played BF4 (the last time was on PS4, yesterday was the 1st time I played it in XB1).

JLeack

Banned
Reviews sound great! I never played a Halo single player campaign. Can't wait to play all of them.

I'm the only reviewer I know of who went into Halo: MCC with very limited previous Halo experience. My experience has been truly extraordinary. I now get goosebumps when I boot the game up and hear the Gregorian chant.

Mononoke

Banned
I dont like it either but I can live with that. I mean, its just to keep its aspect ration, right?

I like the XB1 controller as much as I like the PS4 controller. But yesterday I played BF4 for the 1st time with the XB1 pad and god... I finnally understood why people like so much this controller for shooters. So much better to aim then with the DS4... I got a much better result then I usually get playing on PS4 and had 5 months that I did not played BF4 (the last time was on PS4, yesterday was the 1st time I played it in XB1).

DS4 has really great ergonomics. I love how it just fits perfectly in the hands. I also dig the triggers. But damn, the Xbox One triggers are amazing (especially when they use impulse). Also, I love the weight of the controller. It's kind of strange, but I actually prefer some heft compared to DS4's plastic/lightness. It fits into your hand and feels snug as the weight just presses down. AND I love love love the joysticks. They are infinitely better than the DS4's. No doubt.

The only thing I had an issue with, was the bumpers. But I've actually gotten used to them, and actually think they are superior to the 360 because you can lightly press them with only part of your finger (if you hit it at the right angle). Vs having to shift your entire finger to press them like the 360.

EDIT: Also, X1 controller isn't heavy. It's like the perfect weight, and just feels right in your hand. Basically, I just think the X1 feels like a more quality controller (in terms of the materials used). It's probably IMO the nicest controller I've ever used on a console. Just what I think.

Kssio_Aug

DS4 has really great ergonomics. I love how it just fits perfectly in the hands. I also dig the triggers. But damn, the Xbox One triggers are amazing (especially when they use impulse). Also, I love the weight of the controller. It's kind of strange, but I actually prefer some heft compared to DS4's plastic/lightness. It fits into your hand and feels snug as the weight just presses down. AND I love love love the joysticks. They are infinitely better than the DS4's. No doubt.

The only thing I had an issue with, was the bumpers. But I've actually gotten used to them, and actually think they are superior to the 360 because you can lightly press them with only part of your finger (if you hit it at the right angle). Vs having to shift your entire finger to press them like the 360.

Completely agree. The bumpers is the worst aspect of the XB1 controller. I'm still getting used to them but they still feel quite clunky to press on certain conditions. Amazing controller overall though.

danwarb

I'd say it's a resolution thing. Neither Halo 1 Anniversary or Halo 2 Anniversary have borders.

No. It's the same on 360. It's a FoV thing. 1 and 2 are zoomed in/cropped. The solutions for full-screen are: that, a huge field of view or stretched image. 4 player should use full screen.

HeliosT10

I'm super stoked for this guys. I've been fighting cancer this past year. It's been really hard. But I recently went into remission. I just finished my final chemo. Seems like the perfect way to cap this all off. To celebrate with MCC on my X1.

I have like ZERO friends because all my friends jumped from 360 to PC gaming. And they haven't jumped into the next gen. So if anyone would like to add me, I would really appreciate it. I would like to play with some of you when MCC drops.

My Xbox Live is:

Azulaaaa

Feel free to add me pal. Gamertag is HeliosT10

Congratulations too btw, that's some great news!

Massive disappointment.
The only alternatives would be to crop the image or stretch it - and neither of those seem like something anybody should want or prefer.

Super stoked to see some gameplay from you guys.

I started with Halo CE on PC... those were such good days in highschool. Never played Halo 2 or Halo 3 at its most popular...

Bought an Xbox 360 solely for Halo in the summer before Reach. Played Halo 3, but this was after its popularity. Bought Reach and disliked it.

Ended up selling the Xbox as the magic of Halo CE was no longer there.

I wish I could have played Halo 3 when it launched, and I miss Halo CE immensely. I imagine Halo 2 is every bit as good as people say it is.

Can't afford an X1, and I'd be crazy to buy an Xbox just for Halo again... but I'm so excited to see gameplay, especially from Halo CE maps.

The value for the MCC Is insane. This and SSB are some of the best player service games I've ever seen

Kibbles

I freaking loved the 360 controller, hated the PS3 controller. Now I love the DS4 and don't really like the One controller (hurts/feels weird in hand, deadzones or whatever the sticks feel fucked up) :S

Anyone know if the split screen graphics are still downgraded or are they normal now?

So bestbuy apparently doesn't have any more copies available to pre-order. My indecision has finally caught up to me so I'll just buy it digital.

My question is, if anyone could help me out, I've got $50 XBL credit, but the game is $59.99. When I confirm my pre-order, will it charge the $50 and take the remaining amount from my card, or will it charge the full amount from my card?

The former. It'll first take whatever credit you have and use the card to make up the difference.
Edit: never mind, beaten.

Enjoy the game. I should probably go digital, too, but I like having all Halo boxes...I even thought about double dipping just so I can have the convenience of digital and still have the case. Sounds pretty silly.

Top Bottom