• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Review Thread

I have tried multiple times to pre-order the game on the Xbox One Store. I keep getting an error message. My spur of the moment hype is fading.

I think the problem with these reviews is that last of us set the standard so high that reviewers have no choice but post lower scores in comparison.

MormaPope

Banned
I think the problem with these reviews is that last of us set the standard so high that reviewers have no choice but post lower scores in comparison.

the_fry_stare_by_exnicas-d5lg5f6.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
Alright guys, I got Morodor and Forza Horizon 2 Deluxe Edition on my X1. I'm ready to celebrate this week + MCC next week. Beating cancer never felt so good. :D

Edit: thanks to HeliosT10 for hooking me up with some DLC codes for Horizon 2. That is seriously one of the nicest things anyone has done for me. All my new friends today + this, I seriously want to cry. This is seriously the best week of my life (cancer free + games + all these friend adds).

The Flash

Banned

I recently played Spec Ops: The Line for the first time and I know now that there's always a choice

Alright guys, I got Morodor and Forza Horizon 2 Deluxe Edition on my X1. I'm ready to celebrate this week + MCC next week. Beating cancer never felt so good. :D

Hell yeah!

Noobcraft

Mr Noobcraft on xbl if you want to fool around in FH2 or Halo :) also congrats.

I've been playing MCC for a few days now and for some reason, the terminals don't work. Once you find one, it opens up the Halo Channel to watch it but it just kicks me back to MCC.

343 did release two terminal videos last night on their YouTube.

Halo 2 Anniversary Terminal 1
Halo 2 Anniversary Terminal 2

Holy sweet baby Jesus in the manger.

So these look to fill in story gaps?! We get to see how Regret made his way to Earth.. and why his fleet was so small!
Ahhhhhhh.

/overload

Anyone wants to play.. my Gamertag on XBL is: NSA

I have tried multiple times to pre-order the game on the Xbox One Store. I keep getting an error message. My spur of the moment hype is fading.
I had an error message initially, but it ended up being my credit card company doing a fraud check. After i checked my phone and verified thst it was me, the transaction went through no problem.

tuna_love

Banned

Edit: thanks to HeliosT10 for hooking me up with some DLC codes for Horizon 2. That is seriously one of the nicest things anyone has done for me. All my new friends today + this, I seriously want to cry. This is seriously the best week of my life (cancer free + games + all these friend adds).
Good shit bud. You in the US?

ghibli99

Man... this, Sunset Overdrive, and Forza Horizon 2 might be enough to make me pull the trigger before the end of the year. I think it's great that the XBO has turned into a system that is delivering some really nice exclusives. Never thought I'd say that earlier this year.

Mr. Tibbs

Congratulations! I hope you have a fantastic weekend. You deserve it.

Mononoke

Banned
If you need more buds for Xbox Live by all means add me GT: Krappadizzle.

It sounds like you had an amazing week!

I am. I've been fighting my cancer for a year. It's been the worst time of my life. I had no family to support me, and my cousin (my best friend) killed herself this year (she had life long depression). It almost broke me. I was ready to give up. But GAF kept holding me up, and kept cheering me on. And when I went to really dark places, there was always someone to help me. And even if some of you didn't know me personally, I always would read your posts, and read all the interesting things everyone had to say. And reading GAF every day brought me a lot of joy, and helped me get out of bed every day when I was destroyed by the chemo.

So to finally beat it after a year, and then to celebrate by having all these people on GAF that I look up to, and who were essentially my family and support -- add me to play games with me, it just feels like the best way to end all of this, you know?

EDIT: I added you.

Azula, I am glad to hear your news, it's been a shit week for someone I know and cancer news, your news gives me hope.

Helios, you're a gent.

rokkerkory

Awesome man!!!

Booshka

I'm SoCal too, we should set up a LAN, no joke. Congrats on your remission Azula, glad you are feeling better and looking forward to some gaming.

My GT is Booshka, I don't have an Xbone (360 only for now), but feel free to add me if you'd like.

Mononoke

Banned
Azula, I am glad to hear your news, it's been a shit week for someone I know and cancer news, your news gives me hope.

Helios, you're a gent.

I'm sorry to hear that. Give him all the support you can. Honestly, without support it's very hard to fight this. It's really tough to deal with, and it's easy to lose hope and sometimes lose a reason to keep fighting. But if you can provide any form of happiness (and believe me, something like friendship and just being there fore them) -- is everything. I really really hope they pull through. And yeah, the reason I have this tag on my name, is because I wanted people to know I didn't let cancer take my life. I hope that others with it can also stay strong and fight it back.

Congrats on beating it! I had a friend pass last year. I should be getting my Xbone this weekend and MCC on release. I am in So Cal as well free to add me.

GT: LaRevenant

Really sorry to hear that. I'll add you now. *hugs*

EDIT: I added everyone else too. :) I am now going to have to buy a lot of my games for X1 over PS4 now, seeing as I now actually have a lot of friends to play with. Looks like X1 is now my go to system.

I am. I've been fighting my cancer for a year. It's been the worst time of my life. I had no family to support me, and my cousin (my best friend) killed herself this year (she had life long depression). It almost broke me. I was ready to give up. But GAF kept holding me up, and kept cheering me on. And when I went to really dark places, there was always someone to help me. And even if some of you didn't know me personally, I always would read your posts, and read all the interesting things everyone had to say. And reading GAF every day brought me a lot of joy, and helped me get out of bed every day when I was destroyed by the chemo.

So to finally beat it after a year, and then to celebrate by having all these people on GAF that I look up to, and who were essentially my family and support -- add me to play games with me, it just feels like the best way to end all of this, you know?

EDIT: I added you.

tumblr_llp4jzoVgi1qgeyd8o1_500.gif

Warms my heart. Glad to hear your doing well and fought like a bastard to get better.

Of course I'm serious.
Let me put it this way, on a scale of zero to the last of us an 8.8 is about right where I would put MCC.

totally joking

HORRORSHØW

this is why i love gaf. awesome community. review scores and console wars mean shit all in the grand scheme of things.

I just started listening to the first Halo audiobook. I read it over 10 years ago when it first came out. Still pretty good so far.

Mononoke

Banned
Grimløck;137845477 said:
this is why i love gaf. awesome community. review scores and console wars mean shit all in the grand scheme of things.

Tuna_Love just gifted me $100 on Xbox Live. I'm seriously crying right now. I can't even take in all of this. It's just too much. Anyways, going to get back to Morodor. Don't want to de-rail this thread and make it about me anymore.

But I'll never forget what GAF has done for me.

Man... this, Sunset Overdrive, and Forza Horizon 2 might be enough to make me pull the trigger before the end of the year. I think it's great that the XBO has turned into a system that is delivering some really nice exclusives. Never thought I'd say that earlier this year.

I had thought PS4 would dominate this fall, but I'm actually playing my Xbox One more.

scently

Halo 4 looks incredible. I've kinda been bouncing around but damn 4 looks good.

Can you say if it looks better than the H2A Campaign? Because it seems like H4 is the best looking of the bunch, even though its a straight port. It will be interesting to see what 343 does with H5 given that H4 looks almost like a straight up next gen title.

blakep267

I had that issue where I kept getting errors when I tried to buy FH2 at launch. what I ended up doing was using a different card to buy the game and it seemed to work

also I mean I'm not saying give halo a 10, but the package as a whole is at least a 9 with a chance to go higher depending on how good the halo 5 beta is

Never read Halo: First Strike?

I did.. when it came out.. 11 years ago? (Damn..)

I don't remember it referencing the Luminary on Meridian as pointing to the Ark or Erde-Tyrene.. etc. It makes sense, since none of that was referenced until WAAAAY later. Love seeing them so excited to go there.. not realizing it's Humanities homeworld

JLeack

Banned
Can you say if it looks better than the H2A Campaign? Because it seems like H4 is the best looking of the bunch, even though its a straight port. It will be interesting to see what 343 does with H5 given that H4 looks almost like a straight up next gen title.

Halo 4 is the best looking game in this collection. Part of that has to do with the fact that it doesn't have to run multiple engines like H2A.

H2A's cutscenes are ridiculous, though.

Says the same guy who reviewed Driveclub and said there's no visual customization when there clearly is.

Even though Driveclub has four paint jobs that you can customize at any given time, it's pretty damn poorly implemented.

Purest 78

Halo was ground breaking when it was Released, and it was reviewed that way. Bottom line is halo is no longer ground breaking, so people shouldn't expect the reviews to be the same.

I've scanned some reviews, is the general gist of it being a 9 and not a 10:

- Some technical issues
- Some of game mechanics have not aged well for some of the games

I am not saying I agree with these, just what I gleaned from the reviews I've read.

Is there anything else for 'down scoring' it?

Top Bottom