• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

Bsigg12

Well that destroys any hope of a proper Zelda U in 2014.

Fucking WiiU still has not a single, sprawling single player adventure /RPG with a release data after over a year on the market. I certainly regret my day 1 purchase. X better come out in 2014.

Eh maybe. I think Nintendo knows they have to push games to the Wii U with huge potential all throughout 2014 or be faced with being overshadowed by Sony and Microsoft all year.

LordGouda

RWtRI14.jpg

BYaekpU.jpg

These are really nice quality pics!

wildfire

Banned
3rd parties: "People only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo systems!"
Nintendo: "Here, use our IP and if your game still doesn't sell you can suck. our. cacks."

I'm pumped though to be quite honest. Tentatively pumped of course, as I'd like to see more videos/reviews before I'd make a purchase.
Honestly after the Other M debacle Nintendo needs to be a bit more considerate with how their IP is used by 3rd parties.

Zinthar

Which just means that it is good enough to have a profitable fanbase.

And I love it that Nintendo does something like this. It's something no one excepted, absolutely unpredictable, unlike the boring, too safe stuff the gamers want. No matter the outcome, I hope that Nintendo will also suprise me on the next directs.

Wtf? Another Dynasty Warriors game, a series which couldn't possibly be more generic and tired at this point, re-wrapped in a strong IP isn't "safe"? It's the safest thing they could possibly do! Dynasty Warriors is never going to be ground-breaking, but this gives them a guaranteed number of sales despite near certain mediocrity.

It's only unexpected because most of us expected Nintendo to have more sense than this and actually invest in some ambitious projects that could propel some Wii U sales.

ph00p

Banned
Nintendo has a ton of great IPs and they're not willing to develop games for them? At least not in a timely manner? When WiiU dies it's going to be all their own god damned stupid faults.

Myriadis

You've never avoided the latest game in a series because their recent games have been worse?
If you avoided Links Awakening or Ocarina of Time simply because of the CD-i games you're an idiot.

I just want the Zelda series to have a healthy future is all. I don't want the public thinking this is the new mainline Zelda.

Then it's their problem for being such dumbasses, not yours.

CorvoSol

I know right?

What kind of asshole invents medical practices.

Hey! He made me take an oath, man. Do you have any idea how hard it is for me to keep promises, let alone oaths? C'mooon.

Anyway I think this game looks really fun. I'm excited to play it. That part with the fire rod had me all kinds of hyped.

All this talk of protecting IPs is nonsense. Nintendo makes Mario Baseball, they made 8 bit cereal back in the day, when I was a kid I had a Zelda wallet. Some of you get so creepily protective of Zelda you seem to miss the point that it's a game. You know, that thing people do for fun?

Randomizer

I've never played a Musou/Dynasty Warriors game before. I am a huge action game fan but the gameplay always looked too shallow. As a huge Zelda fan I am somewhat interested in this. What Dynasty Warriors games are recommended for newcomers to the series?

Also this series is fairly popular in Japan, right? I assume Nintendo are using this to help the Zelda brand which has been flagging sales wise in Japan.

I'm up for some musou action yet I can't truly get excited for this until I hopefully see other playable characters who aren't Link.
Storming across Hyrule field wrecking hundreds of soliders as Ganondorf will make this venture entirely worthwhile.

I think it would be funny if all the other characters are just other Links.

The dream is over, I'd take OoT Adult Link in this case.

Mit-

Did people really expect the next major Zelda title to release this year?

It took them the entire console generation to make Skyward Sword. They just figured out motion controls and now they have to figure out HD graphics. I won't be surprised if Zelda Wii U takes just as long.

This was a pleasant surprise. I'd say at this point we've already seen all titles that will release in 2014. The only questions are whether X and Bayonetta actually make it out this year in America.

Jarate

Banned
Sure they do, but they should at least appear to be trying to win your hard-earned cash. Some people reward companies with their dough for trying really hard to make a great game. Some people reward companies with their dough for releasing an uninspired, low production cost, yet insanely marked-up and re-skinned turd-nugget. To each his own.

And this is ignoring so many things...

Dynasty Warriors 5 is one of the best selling games in Japan's history

Dynasty Warriors sells a shit ton in Japan

This is a big series in the east, just because the western market doesn't care about the warriors series doesn't mean it's fucking useless

Also, in fact, these games are actually
fun
and actually do get challenging when you play on the harder difficulties.

I also doubt this is a "low budget game" sure it might not be triple A, but didn't one Piece Musou 2 have like over 400,000 preorders? this is a huge series in Japan like I said

but just keep ignoring the fact that people actually like these games. In fact, I betcha you played a little bit of 2 or 3 and read game informer and based your opinion on the series based off those reviews.

If they made a Zelda themed Lego game would you freakout? Those games are all essentially the same, but apparently, no one cares about those games being rehashes

FranXico

Nintendo has a ton of great IPs and they're not willing to develop games for them? At least not in a timely manner? When WiiU dies it's going to be all their own god damned stupid faults.

They are probably busy working on a proper Zelda.

Mista Koo

I don't think Link should be playable. It's not a LoZ game after all.

Add his clothes, everyone will try to impersonate him anyway.

TreIII

Though honestly I think this should have been the Fire Emblem mashup and it should have been Zelda x Shin Megami Tensei.

Eh, I think all things considered, FE and SMT were a better match, if only because at least tonally they have more in common.

Meanwhile, Musou is (usually) as lighthearted as they come and that suits Zelda just fine.

I've never played a Musou/Dynasty Warriors game before. I am a huge action game fan but the gameplay always looked too shallow. As a huge Zelda fan I am somewhat interested in this. What Dynasty Warriors games are recommended for newcomers to the series?

Also this series is fairly popular in Japan, right? I assume Nintendo are using this to help the Zelda brand which has been flagging sales wise in Japan.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 was great.

Well that destroys any hope of a proper Zelda U in 2014.

Fucking WiiU still has not a single, sprawling single player adventure /RPG with a release data after over a year on the market. I certainly regret my day 1 purchase. X better come out in 2014.

lol

yeah man because this is clearly being developed by the Zelda team

so clearly and obviously

Zinthar

Because it is really shallow. I suspect even fans of the series will admit as much.

If you are a mega-fan of One Piece, Pirate Warriors 2 is a good jumping off point.

If not, Warriors Orochi 3 (I forget if the Vita/PS3 revision came here, but if it didn't, the PS3/360/Wii U versions are fine) makes a good starting point, even if you have no attachment to the characters.

Keep in mind, this thread is pretty decent proof that the series splits people pretty distinctly. What someone may think is a fun and good game, someone else may think is fucking awful, and it's probable neither of them are really wrong. So even if you don't like it, it's not because everyone else is an agenda-driven jerk, this is just a very specific kind of game.

sensui-tomo

Wtf? Another Dynasty Warriors game, a series which couldn't possibly be more generic and tired at this point, re-wrapped in a strong IP isn't "safe"? It's the safest thing they could possibly do! Dynasty Warriors is never going to be ground-breaking, but this gives them a guaranteed number of sales despite near certain mediocrity.

It's only unexpected because most of us expected Nintendo to have more sense than this and actually invest in some ambitious projects that could propel some Wii U sales.

Please watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbb6OOSh7o it explains why people like the Warriors/Musou series(or at the very least Jim sterling)

Martian

Not to be a downer, but I dont think it looks all that interesting (gameplay wise).
I was thinking about a full Zelda game, so I may be biased.

Jarate

Banned

THIS IS SO FUCKING GENERIC, ALL YOU DO IS PRESS BUTTONS

MAN FUCKING MARIO ALL YOU DO IS JUMP ON GOOMBAS

MAN THIS FUCKING MAX PAYNE GAME, ALL YOU DO IS FUCKING SHOOT PEOPLE, SO FUCKING GENERIC

your argument is stupid, don't shit on a game series you have obviously no experience in. The warriors games actually do change quite a lot, but people want them to fucking reinvent the wheel. It's a fucking game where you kill tons of chinamen. What do you want from them?

3bdelilah

Banned
Yeah, I'm very sceptical. I mean, if they did this kind of combat in Zelda U, that'd be great! But seeing this, with likely no enjoyable story whatsoever and just defeating waves of enemies... This seems to be destined to fail. But I hope there's more to it, because when a lot of us wanted a more mature Zelda, we didn't mean just graphics or combat, we meant a mature story.

OMG. Why. WHY?!?!
Dynasty Warriors games are ass.
Should've been a Zelda-SotC crossover with an epic storyline and epic boss battles...but instead we get this button mashing junk.

:(

EYEL1NER

I can't say this is something I have ever wanted before. And I don't really love Zelda games or Link all that much either.
*sigh* It's a Musou game though. So I will be buying it (whenever I get around to buying a Wii U that is).

Whichever one you think has the prettiest graphics. People will tell you they're not all pretty much the same, but they are.

Except for the ones that say 'Empires' on them, they have a strategy element as the stages are chosen as you build an empire, Romance of the Three Kingdoms style.

massoluk

Banned
I actually asked for Mushroom Kingdom Musou. Kuribo would be perfect army of cloned grunts standing around waiting to be killed.

Jarate

Banned
Because it is really shallow. I suspect even fans of the series will admit as much.

YEAH THIS GAME IS SO SHALLOW, LOOK IT ONLY FEATURES 70 CHARACTERS THAT ALL HAVE FAIRLY DISTINCT GAMEPLAY

OMG YOU JUST SIT THERE AND KILL PEOPLE, WTF SO SHALLOW

*puts in Call of Duty*

NOW THIS IS A GAME I CAN GET BEHIND, THIS GAMEPLAY IS SO DEEP.

Top Bottom