• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Ryse's multiplayer looks nothing like the released footage, doesn't feel nextgen

Proelite

Played Ryse today at Pax, if people are disappointed with its graphics, then they might as well stick with a PC for next generation.

Obvious follow-up joke:

thisisrysea7lqx.gif
inS3zE6ukA3FL.gif

Mononoke

Banned
Dead Rising 1 ran relatively decently. It had some dips, but nothing too severe. It mostly held 30 fps.

Dead Rising 3 is SO choppy right now that I simply do not believe they will smooth it out for launch. The framerate is obscenely low and suffers from constant tearing. It simply does not look nice at all in motion.

The game does look interesting, though, and I feel they should delay it until they can hit their performance target.

I only played MP and I went in expecting it to be shit. I was there before the floor really opened up so there were no lines for any of Microsoft's games which is why I gave it a shot in the first place.

I thought it felt much better than expected. The controls were surprisingly tight and the game wasn't as dead simple as the media has suggested. QTEs were no more common than a typical fight in God of War (in that they literally only appear when you've dealt enough damage to an enemy - and even then, they are optional). With the environments shifting around to create different hazards, the different types of enemies on display, and the objectives popping up it remained fun. The guy I played with was awful at the game, though, and didn't really seem to have any idea how to play effectively.

This isn't Bayonetta (obviously), but it offers depth comparable to God of War with better attack reactions and less enemy health. God of War forces you to hit enemies repeatedly for a long time in order to trigger a QTE. The enemies in Ryse take far less damage and the QTE finishers were optional. They also reacted more physically to your attacks. In God of War, attacking the enemies really results in no reaction animation while in Ryse, that wasn't the case.

Thanks for the impressions. I really appreciate it. Going to just wait closer to launch and decide on these games.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
This game looked like shit from the day it was announced. Remind me again why I should invest in next gen consoles so early?

Yoday

It makes me sad how bad this game is looking. This is actually the one XBone game I was interested in due to the setting.

I really hate that colored outline around enemies instead of the button prompts. It is clear that they took to heart the QTE comments from E3, but the outlines doesn't change anything, it just makes the game ugly IMO. I would have preferred it if they had just kept the button prompts instead. Who knows though, maybe they will add an option to change it between the two styles.

How was the animation if the Crysis series? I've not seen much of it, but I'm sure it was better than this
Generic, and I actually like the Crysis games.

It's no surprise that the multi-player was sub par when the single player game looked as rough as shit in the directly controlled gameplay sections shown previously.

Great models, graphics and technology but with clunky horrible gameplay mechanics.

It's basically a Heavenly Sword for a new generation...

ethomaz

Banned
Guys, I'm a new member in GAF even so I already read the thread for over a year. But it is the first time I laughed so much in a forum thread in my life... it is just amazing how good did you guys make this images and gifs go on.

I'm not reading the tread... just having fun with gifs... a lot of fun... tons of gun.

Thanks.

PS. Ryse looks bad for SP and MP for the videos I saw.

Coen

Not trying to be a cynic, but this is a game by Crytec, previously known for developing gorgeous but hardware-taxing shooters, retooling a previously Kinect-focused game in a genre they know nothing about, trying to make launch on a newly released console. No one should be expecting anything more than a 6/10 out of this, a beatiful but shallow spectacle.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Not trying to be a cynic, but this is a game by Crytec, previously known for developing gorgeous but hardware-taxing shooters, retooling a previously Kinect-focused game in a genre they know nothing about, trying to make launch on a newly released console. No one should be expecting anything more than a 6/10 out of this, a beatiful but shallow spectacle.

I hope that they can deliver on scenery, story execution, and acting with the single-player. I am not expecting stellar gameplay, at this point, as well. Too many hands-on reports are just to negative.

FeiRR

Banned
I hope that they can deliver on scenery, story execution, and acting with the single-player. I am not expecting stellar gameplay, at this point, as well. Too many hands-on reports are just to negative.
You haven't played Crysis 3, have you?

QaaQer

Does anyone know how far into development it was changed from a Kinect2 title? I'm just wondering if Crytek is getting too much of the blame here.

Aaron

It looks exactly like various PS2 gladiator games that most people didn't care about with an extra layer of gloss thrown on top. The way the sword just clips through the enemy without any wounds opening or anything just looks awful. We're two generations up now from Shadow of Rome, and nothing really has improved.

BigDug13

Does anyone know how far into development it was changed from a Kinect2 title? I'm just wondering if Crytek is getting too much of the blame here.

No I don't blame Crytek at all and I don't think it's fair to do so. This game has "huge corporate interference" written all over it. From the forced multiplayer in a game design that needs to control time for death animations and was seemingly originally a single player only experience, to the change in focus from 360 Kinect, then to XBO Kinect, then to controller based. These guys probably have whips at their backs to jump through a ton of "corporate bulletpoint" hoops to meet unrealistic expectations that have fluctuated throughout this game's entire design process.

I honestly feel bad for these guys. I am of the opinion that they've got too many puppet masters at their publisher headquarters pulling all their strings out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It looks exactly like various PS2 gladiator games that most people didn't care about with an extra layer of gloss thrown on top. The way the sword just clips through the enemy without any wounds opening or anything just looks awful. We're two generations up now from Shadow of Rome, and nothing really has improved.
Oh, you mean like every other game in this genre?

Nemesis_

So basically this is a 360 Kinect game that's been somehow shifted over to a more conventional Xbox One game?

It's shortcomings are...well...not surprising I guess.

QaaQer

No I don't blame Crytek at all and I don't think it's fair to do so. This game has "huge corporate interference" written all over it. From the forced multiplayer in a game design that needs to control time for death animations and was seemingly originally a single player only experience, to the change in focus from 360 Kinect, then to XBO Kinect, then to controller based. These guys probably have whips at their backs to jump through a ton of "corporate bulletpoint" hoops to meet unrealistic expectations that have fluctuated throughout this game's entire design process.

I honestly feel bad for these guys. I am of the opinion that they've got too many puppet masters at their publisher headquarters pulling all their strings out.

& I'm sure they are going to be in burn-out crunch mode till launch, although I believe Germany's labour laws prohibit those kinds of marriage destroying work hours.

Top Bottom