• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Ryse's multiplayer looks nothing like the released footage, doesn't feel nextgen

This game is gonna be the LAIR of the Xbox One launch. Buyer beware. If this game sells well it will be irrefutable proof that a sucker is born every minute.

nkarafo

Who knew that in 30 years a controller like that would still be perfect for future games.

atari2600remote.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
As long as the campaign is good, that's all that matters to me. A game like this doesn't really need multiplayer.

What if the campaign is very short?

I can't imagine this kind of game will really be fleshed out. I mean, it goes without saying but most launch games are usually short and rushed. At least something like Killzone would sustain you with multiplayer after the story is over. Same goes for Forza.

Ryse and Knack are probably the most iffy games at launch, because you just know they won't be that polished, and will be easy to beat.

ufo8mycat

Isn't this game made by Crytek?

Crytek - Thats enough to stay away.

They are only about graphics and not gameplay.
Look at Crysis 3 - man I struggled to complete that game. Gameplay is so average.

This game will be the same.

B O R I N G

Am I allowed to defend this the same way some users defended Drive Club? The game was running on a 35% complete build? :p

How recent and new is this build, from what I've seen, Forza and Battlefield 4 were running on old builds, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryse is running on a older build, before the combat changes were being made. Or at least, this is what I'm hoping for.

Combat systems are much harder to fix in newer builds than graphics and framerate. What exactly are you expecting them to change?

To compare this to driveclub, this would like if the cars started driving sideways if you drifted wrong, or did a front flip when you
break.

The combat system in this game is fundementally ill designed and broken. There is little to no chance they are going to have this fixed by launch and cant even fix it post launch unless they fundementally change the way the game plays.

Stick a fork in Ryse, its done.

What if the campaign is very short?

I can't imagine this kind of game will really be fleshed out. I mean, it goes without saying but most launch games are usually short and rushed. At least something like Killzone would sustain you with multiplayer after the story is over. Same goes for Forza.

Ryse and Knack are probably the most iffy games at launch, because you just know they won't be that polished, and will be easy to beat.

Knack looks incredibly polished it just doesn't look fun or interesting to play

this looks like shit and also not fun or interesting to play

Rad-

It has looked very average from the start in pretty much every other way than graphics. Crytek got lucky with Crysis 1 which was all right but all the games after that have been disappointing. They really aren't that good of a game studio.

Mononoke

Banned
Knack looks incredibly polished it just doesn't look fun or interesting to play

this looks like shit and also not fun or interesting to play

I should have clarified. Knack looks polished from a gameplay perspective. But it doesn't look that impressive visually (texture/backgrounds). And it also looks like the kind of game that you could beat pretty quickly.

I'm making some assumptions here, for all I know Knack might be a long game. But personally, I think Knack and Ryse look like the most iffy games at launch for the reasons I said above (possible low replay value/short campaigns/ not fleshed out). I'm obviously going to wait until we have more info about them before judging. But those are just my fears.

But you are right, Knack looks more polished than Ryse does. I used that too loosely.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I've had it...I think its finally happened lol. The twig has broken. Im cancelling my xbox one. I don't need it until games I want come out. I have my ps4 paid off and Im going to just go mainly pc with everything.

Codeblew

FUD MODE ACTIVATED

It might look better right now. We all know Turn 10 likes to over-deliver on previews.

Seriously though. The game was in dev hell on 360. It isn't the best indicator for the XB1 limits. Also MP modes often look worse than SP, which was probably used for the sizzle reels.

Have we seen as much gameplay footage of Forza5 as we have Driveclub?

PK_man

Banned
man i know this is still WIP, but man look at that water!! And the animation!!

Ladies and gentleman, your Xbone exclusive! Since it's about "all for one", the gameplay is all about pressing one button.

I'll go back to playing Chivalry: medieval warfare.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Both Ryse and Dead Rising 3 look to be the disappointments of the Xbox One's launch. Luckily Forza looks solid and better than Driveclub in my opinion.
Ryse is much more polished than Dead Rising 3.

Honestly, I thought Forza felt much more "ho-hum" than Ryse and certainly doesn't look all that impressive while actually playing.

Is this real? Pretty sad if so
I don't recall seeing anything like that in the demo. The "QTE prompt" is based on the color around the enemy rather than an on-screen button and only seemed to pop up when you were able to execute an enemy after dealing enough damage (just like God of War, really). Outside of these executions the available attacks were completely free form.

Mononoke

Banned
Ryse is much more polished than Dead Rising 3.

I haven't actually seen a lot of Dead Rising 3, but is that really true? Because Ryse doesn't look good at all IMO. I know during E3 the Dead Rising demo had some stutter etc. Has the other gameplay footage recently showed more issues?

I should have clarified. Knack looks polished from a gameplay perspective. But it doesn't look that impressive visually (texture/backgrounds). And it also looks like the kind of game that you could beat pretty quickly.

I'm making some assumptions here, for all I know Knack might be a long game. But personally, I think Knack and Ryse look like the most iffy games at launch for the reasons I said above (possible low replay value/short campaigns/ not fleshed out). I'm obviously going to wait until we have more info about them before judging. But those are just my fears.

But you are right, Knack looks more polished than Ryse does. I used that too loosely.

EmptySpace thought knack looked pretty damn good when he saw this video a week ago. it was supposed to be on normal too, so it looks to be challenging. this is offscreen, but the colours really pop out and it has got some nice lighting and environments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcHfHwRMqMk

cripterion

This thread sure delivers.

I do think the game still looks great graphically wise( I like how the trolls are pulling these gifs off bad youtube vids to say how the game looks like crap) But on the other hand there's no denying it's at it's worst in the gameplay department. The attacks don't even connect. Animations are awful as well.
Love the setting but will only pick this in the bargain bin.

dark10x

I haven't actually seen a lot of Dead Rising 3, but is that really true? Because Ryse doesn't look good at all IMO. I know during E3 the Dead Rising demo had some stutter etc. Has the other gameplay footage recently showed more issues?
I've played Ryse and sat through a 30 minute demo of Dead Rising 3. Ryse runs at a consistent framerate, looks fantastic, and feels mostly polished (with a few issues here and there). Dead Rising 3 is a mess operating at sub-20 fps most of the time with constant screen tearing and somewhat outdated looked visuals.

Not while playing. Knack runs far too inconsistently (ranging from 20 to 40 fps depending on the scene).

I'm surprised at how many videos and gifs focus on the issues with Ryse when the general demo experience was generally very polished.

Hopefully they get the performance issues under control for Dead Rising, although the series certainly has no precedent for running well on consoles. Still think the game looks quite nice from the footage I've seen. Great lighting and scale, although there are some poor textures here and there.

dejay

Banned
I don't think I've seen a game with so many mixed reviews.

Video evidence is patchy at best, so at this stage I'm definitely skipping at launch.

V_Arnold

The only problem I have with Ryse and their developers is that they refuse to accept reality. They talk about their game like they know the points that players brought up and they are indeed trying to meet the expectations, but everything we have seen so far just...screams the opposite.

Just say nothing or say: yes, it has basic combat. Combat complexity is not our goal, we want fancy animations (?) instead. Say that. It will not bother the vast majority of your potential buyers anyway.

Mononoke

Banned
I've played Ryse and sat through a 30 minute demo of Dead Rising 3. Ryse runs at a consistent framerate, looks fantastic, and feels mostly polished (with a few issues here and there). Dead Rising 3 is a mess operating at sub-20 fps most of the time with constant screen tearing and somewhat outdated looked visuals.

Not while playing. Knack runs far too inconsistently (ranging from 20 to 40 fps depending on the scene).

I'm surprised at how many videos and gifs focus on the issues with Ryse when the general demo experience was generally very polished.

Did you play single player? (Or are they only allowing MP). Because I didn't think the footage from the campaign looked that good either (what was shown at E3).

Good to hear that it's consistent framerate though. What about the controls? To me, the gameplay looks very stiff/sluggish/repetitive. I care more about gameplay than graphics, truth be told.

That's a shame to hear about Dead Rising 3.

EmptySpace thought knack looked pretty damn good when he saw this video a week ago. it was supposed to be on normal too, so it looks to be challenging. this is offscreen, but the colours really pop out and it has got some nice lighting and environments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcHfHwRMqMk

I'll check it out now. I'm actually going to be getting Knack, because I love platformers. Just what I saw in the past, the game didn't look that polished (like the Textures/Backgrounds). But if the game is actually fun, and pretty decent in length, I won't regret the purchase.

dark10x

Hopefully they get the performance issues under control for Dead Rising, although the series certainly has no precedent for running well on consoles. Still think the game looks quite nice from the footage I've seen. Great lighting and scale, although there are some poor textures here and there.
Dead Rising 1 ran relatively decently. It had some dips, but nothing too severe. It mostly held 30 fps.

Dead Rising 3 is SO choppy right now that I simply do not believe they will smooth it out for launch. The framerate is obscenely low and suffers from constant tearing. It simply does not look nice at all in motion.

The game does look interesting, though, and I feel they should delay it until they can hit their performance target.

Did you play single player? (Or are they only allowing MP). Because I didn't think the footage from the campaign looked that good either.

Good to hear that it's consistent framerate. What about the controls? To me, the gameplay looks very sluggish/repetitive. I care more about gameplay than graphics, truth be told.
I only played MP and I went in expecting it to be shit. I was there before the floor really opened up so there were no lines for any of Microsoft's games which is why I gave it a shot in the first place.

I thought it felt much better than expected. The controls were surprisingly tight and the game wasn't as dead simple as the media has suggested. QTEs were no more common than a typical fight in God of War (in that they literally only appear when you've dealt enough damage to an enemy - and even then, they are optional). With the environments shifting around to create different hazards, the different types of enemies on display, and the objectives popping up it remained fun. The guy I played with was awful at the game, though, and didn't really seem to have any idea how to play effectively.

This isn't Bayonetta (obviously), but it offers depth comparable to God of War with better attack reactions and less enemy health. God of War forces you to hit enemies repeatedly for a long time in order to trigger a QTE. The enemies in Ryse take far less damage and the QTE finishers were optional. They also reacted more physically to your attacks. In God of War, attacking the enemies really results in no reaction animation while in Ryse, that wasn't the case.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well shit, from what I have seen of the game, the single player didn't look "nextgen" either.

It's the same feeling you get when you try to open a door in Red Steel for the first time.

the same feeling you get when someone calls you through your wiimote in no more heroes

Dead Rising 1 ran relatively decently. It had some dips, but nothing too severe. It mostly held 30 fps.

Dead Rising 3 is SO choppy right now that I simply do not believe they will smooth it out for launch. The framerate is obscenely low and suffers from constant tearing. It simply does not look nice at all in motion.

The game does look interesting, though, and I feel they should delay it until they can hit their performance target.

Yeah that is quite worrying if it's still at the E3 reveal level of slowdown. Perhaps it's differing builds? Some of the recent trailer footage looked pretty consistent(yes it could be doctored, but there were moments where performance still dropped) and the IGN footage while uneven was better than the horribleness you're describing.

And I thought I remembered Dead Rising 1/2 running pretty poorly but perhaps I'm just remembering the car/driving into hordes.

Edit: One of the videos I was talking about

Top Bottom